Based on Click to view
Artist Ki-Mono [gallery]
Time spent 3 hours, 6 minutes
Drawing sessions 10
14 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Character Design

Postby Ki-Mono » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:34 am

Yeet. Finally done!
I honestly love character design and I hope I am starting to get better at it. I enjoy taking old or bad designs of things and trying to change them to be better.
If you don't like her please let me know because I have grown a little attached to this concept lol

To break down my thought process:
I created a centaur, simply because I love centaurs.
I made the character black in order to stick with the color scheme of the OG. A black tiger would obviously be a black woman. (Forgive me for I am not experienced with drawing people of color).
Gears seemed to be important to the OG design, so I knew I had to keep them in some way. I tossed around several concepts, but settled on making the centaur part robotic. This opens up some fun background creating I feel, on how she lost her original lower half.
Her collar and fur on her chest became a fun armor piece. I'm sure there is a name for this type of armor, but I don't know it. I made it up as I went, but I'm pretty sure it exists.
Bandages around her tail became a wrap for her chest.
And I kept some green in the color scheme. I dispersed it more fully around the body, so it wouldn't stick out too bad in just one place.
It was hard to see exactly what was going on with her jewelry, since it was black and blended in. So I made the chains gold, so they would stand out. I also made up some new face jewelry, since I felt it important for her to keep it.
As for the wings, I went back and forth many times on whether to add them or not. But when I finally settled on a centaur design, I knew adding wings too would just be too much. So instead I gave her wing tattoos on her back.
Colors were hard. It's something I struggle with the most when character designing. In general, I tried to lighten them up while still keeping a darker and earthy tone. I may tweak them more in the future (because I'm crazy), but I think I got semi what I wanted.
I debated adding stripes (and I may still go back and add some), however I felt the design was already really busy to look at.

"Why do you work so hard on these dumb chicken paints?" - My sister watching my life waste away
Last edited by Ki-Mono on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Character Design

Postby Ki-Mono » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:39 am

Finally.... finished
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheRedGal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 am

Dude! This is absolutely awesome! I hope to see more of you around the art forums!

OoO~ I have been spotted~
Heyo~ I'm Red, You may see me floating around the forums, primarily around the art side. I love talking to people and I'm always open to talk to~
She/Her|Adult player|
TheRedGal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyromaniacal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm

I've chosen this design as the winner! I really love the centaur cyborg take and back tattoo especially. Thank you so much for entering!
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/ANY ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    FIXATIONS: Dinosaurs - Sonicxxx
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal