Re: Rise | #1500

Postby SurgeFire » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:08 am

ive yote out of here
Last edited by SurgeFire on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
not active, SurgeFire elsewhere
SurgeFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chimericect » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:40 am

mark :0
Chimericect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hail. » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:25 am

Username: Howlingtothestars
Cat Name: Robin Heart
Clan: Cinderclan

Word count: 2,997 - Note: for the sake of coding the word "space" has been hidden in the text to indent. Please use the pure text here for the word count

To do: formatting; art

Space“I don’t know why hawkclan doesn’t give up.” The patrols lead cat - Wolfclaw - spoke with a bold tone. “It’s clear we will be the victors.”

Space“We all heard Specklestar’s decree! In the next battle, that clan will be good as gone!” A she-cat spoke, confidence blazing in her eyes.

Space“Sure,” A third cat stepped ahead, passing the she-cat, “just so long as you aren’t in the front.”

SpaceThe she-cat bristled and a golden tom smiled and strode forward. “Come on, Ripplesky. You know the best warriors are in the back rows.”

Space“Careful, Robinheart. Feed her any more of that and her head might burst.” The red tom spoke again, smiling playfully as he winked at her.

SpaceWolfclaw stopped, his head held high. “We’re here.” The patrol slipped into bushes, peering ahead at the fox - its pelt matted and tangled.

SpaceWith a flick of Wolfclaw’s ear, the patrol rushed towards the fox. Startled, it fled, but they persisted to chase it from their territory. Robinheart ran alongside his clanmates, the power which echoed in their blood amplifying as they envisioned the fox as hawkclan cats.

SpaceHis paw fell on something hard which gave ever so slightly. In an instant, jaws of steel brust from the ground, throwing leaves as razor fangs bit into his leg. A screeching yowl of agony tore from his jaws as he toppled and the others skid to a stop and stared in horror.

Space“Robinheart! What hap-” Ripplesky stared in horror. “What is that?!” Her voice tore into a shriek louder than his own as her fur bristled along her back.

SpaceWolfclaw ran to him, eyes wide with panic. “Try to hold still! Echocry, Dapplepelt, help me pry it off him!”

SpaceTwo cats rushed forward and tried to grasp it with their paws. The fangs tore into their pads and they lurched back in shock.

SpaceWolfclaw took a moment to process the situation, adrenaline coursing through his veins. He looked down at Robinheart, who writhed in agony on the leaves, and he knew what must be done. Slowly, his claws unsheathed and he gulped, surveying where the metal teeth had latched to his leg. “I’m sorry, Robinheart. Be strong.”

~~~

SpaceThe medicine den was quiet as his eyes slowly opened. The pain in his leg was a pounding throb, a bitter taste in his mouth lingerd from herbs, and he felt webbing which bandaged the wound hold fast to his fur. He groaned and shifted, cringing at the pain which shot from where his leg should be.

SpaceHe froze, his body stiff as he became aware of something missing. He twisted, lifting his head to look at his left leg, but couldn’t see it. Instead, he stared at a stump wrapped in bloody spiderwebs and herbs. His heart hammered as his mouth opened and closed, processing what he saw.

Space“Wolfclaw cut it off.” Robinheart stared at Rivershine - the medicine cat - as she approached with thyme. “Eat this, it will help with anxiety and shock.” She dropped the plant and he slowly chewed it, thinking little of the taste.

SpaceRobinheart watched as Rivershine sat before him and reached for the webbing. His stomach lurched as she peeled it from his fur and he laid his head down to avoid seeing the wound. His eyes rested on the entrance and he noticed a familiar figure.

Space“How is he?” Specklestar’s spoke with worry as she glided in.

Space“Ask him yourself.”

SpaceSpecklestar’s eyes turned to Robinheart, who smiled broadly at her. “Hey.”

Space“Hey? You get your leg ripped off, and-” She shook her head, then studied the wound, flinching as Rivershine pulled the webbing back completely. “Robinheart. . .you can’t take part in this battle. I’m sorry, I know you wanted-”

Space“Even if I’m not there in body, I will be in spirit.” Robinheart grinned, clenching his jaw as Rivershine dabbed the wound with dry moss. “Just tell me the details about your victory when you return.”

SpaceSpecklestar studied him, then nodded. “Tomorrow, it will end.” She turned and left, tail held high.

SpaceRobinheart waited before she was out of sight before releasing a heavy, disappointed sigh.

Space“Hey.” A familiar voice drew his attention to the back of the den where Echocry and Dapplepelt sat, smug expressions on their face. “Look on the bright side: you’re not the only one missing the fight.”

Space“Yeah, we got our paws cut up trying to save your dumb leg.” Dapplepelt’s voice followed, her tone joking, though a little sad.

SpaceRobinheart’s smile broadened. “Well, welcome to the broken club, dead paws!” Rivershine scoffed and Robinheart chuckled, though it was stopped short by a sharp pain. He sighed heavily and let his eyes close, thanking the thyme for the calmness which stilled his mind.

~~~

SpaceThe clan was empty save for the medicine den, all warriors gone to fight in the final battle. Robinheart, Dapplepelt, and Echocry slept to pass the time while Rivershine changed the webbing on Robinheart’s leg.

SpaceA shadow stretched into the den, and she frowned. “Back already? Well, move aside, I can’t-” The shadow contorted as the cat it belonged to lunged and struck her jaw. She tumbled with a gasp as a scarred tom with a scent she didn’t recognize pinned her, a paw pressed on her muzzle. Seven other cats slipped in and made their way to the resting trio. Rivershine’s eyes widened and she struggled, trying to throw the tom from her, but it was in vain.

SpaceShe watched in horror as the cats grabbed the wounded, expecting them to kill them, but finding greater fear as they brought them to near unconsciousness and dragged them from the den. She struggled again and the tom hissed sharply. He struck her from the bottom of the jaw up and her mind dipped into unconsciousness.

~~~

SpaceThe first thing he felt was pain - mostly his leg, but also in the form of soreness throughout his body. He stifled a groan as his legs stretched, feeling the slick ground beneath him. Slowly, his eyes cracked open and widened as they only took in darkness.

SpaceThe smell was wretched - a combination of mold, mud, and-. His heart skipped a beat and he listened for any sign of life. To his left he heard whimpering mews, and to his right, a groan echoed. Their smells were there, but it was that metallic scent of blood which drew his hackles.

Space“Dapplepelt? Echocry?” His voice was a sharp whisper.

Space“Robinheart!” Dapplepelt spoke in a desperate whisper. “Where are we? There’s cats outside. . . I think they’re from hawkclan.”

Space“Think?” Echocry scoffed, his voice sharp and bitter. “They are. There’s no doubt about it.”

SpaceRobinheart frowned as his mind tried to process the situation, but his thoughts were cut off by light which flowed in from a hole. Paws descended into the mud and Robinheart’s focus locked onto the black and white tom.

Space“You certainly took a long nap.” The words dripped with sly venom as the tom approached him, a twisted grin displaying his fangs.

SpaceRobinheart hesitated and the tom scoffed, turning to face Echocry. “Let’s make this simple. Don’t try anything like what you did this morning.” His voice soured into a growl. “The next one to poke their head out of that opening will lose it.” Dapplepelt whimpered and the tom turned his attention to her, walking towards her with claws unsheathed. “You’re here to make a bargain for us: your lives for your leaders clan. Understand that with that noble burden, there will be consequences.”

SpaceHe sprang upon her and Robinheart stifled a hiss as she yowled in surprise. The tom sprang back, mouth full of a clump of her fur and a sick light in his eyes. “We’ll need to keep your situation in the front of your clan’s mind. Afterall, if they take too long, we might just have to kill you.”

Space“I am sure starclan’ll be proud of your honorable victory.” The words came from Robinheart’s mouth, seething with venom.

SpaceThe tom studied him and laughed sharply. “Well, look at Missingfoot!” He approached, claws unsheathed. “It’d be wise of you to knock that off - I was told I could kill one of you if you put up too much of a fight.” Robinheart hissed at him, and tried to sit up but fell back onto his side in the mud. The tom laughed and turned away. “See you tomorrow.”

SpaceHe lunged into the light. As his tail vanished, a covering was placed over the hole and the light faded, leaving the trio to the darkness and their thoughts once more.

~~~

SpaceHe didn’t know long it had been, the swarming darkness blurring everything, the only thing keeping him grounded was the conversations between the trio as they found strength in talking about their eventual rescue.

SpaceLight trickled into the dark as the same cat slipped in, his narrowed eyes flicking to Dapplepelt who bristled in fear.

SpaceInstantly, Robinheart’s head lifted from the mud. “Well, if it isn’t the mouse brain!” The tom stared at him with fury. He approached, tail held high and flicking side-to-side. “What, is my clan more resilient than you expected?”

SpaceA heavy paw landed on his neck and pressed down, claws threatening to break skin. “I’d watch your tongue, Missingfoot.” He spat the words with a hiss and Robinheart smirked. The gesture brought a harsh blow to his leg. Robinheart stifled a hiss, though his smirk faltered.

SpaceSatisfied, the tom smirked and picked up a patch of fur which was torn free before turning away and vanishing, taking the light with him. Robinheart heard Echocry hiss an insult to him, but he brushed it off and turned to Dapplepelt, relieved that the tom had struck him instead. “It’s alright, that hurt no more than a kittens nip!”

SpaceThe cycle continued with little variation. A cat - sometimes the same tom, other times a grey and white female - entered and was immediately taunted by Robinheart. With their attention on him, he received all the blows, sparing his clanmates the torment. While he kept a strong composure, over time he began to feel his strength dwindling. It wasn’t from the wounds but instead something more internal: a heavy feeling in his chest weighed on his lungs.

SpaceHe didn’t reveal this change to the others, not wanting them to worry. Dapplepelt had almost completely opened up again - at least when they were in the dark. She held full conversations and even cracked a joke from time to time with him. Echocry, however, had shut down. No matter his attempt to speak with him, Echocry never responded.

~~~

SpaceLight entered and the tom followed, his movements stiff. He approached Robinheart before he could make a snappy remark and raked his side with claws. Without saying a word, he grabbed the fur and walked away, taking the light with him.

SpaceThe tension in the darkness was palpable. “That was. . . odd.” Dapplepelt gulped. “Do you think they’r-”

Space“Of course not. I think they’re just getting scared. Specklestar is probably on their trail, any minute now she-”

Space“Can you knock it off?!” Echocry hissed. “They aren’t coming for us!”

SpaceRobinheart’s eyes widened, then narrowed with anger. “The clan is coming for us, I know they are!”

Space“I don’t know about you, but not all of us are so blind to actually believe that! They’re not coming! We’re the wounded - they don’t need us, and they certainly don’t need you, Robinheart!”

SpaceRobinheart’s fur bristled, pulse hammering in his ears as he longed to touch Dapplepelt with his tail and comfort her, even though he couldn’t hear her whimpering.

~~~

SpaceThey were silent, the tension too strong to break. Robinheart felt the silence slowly creep in - clinging to his chest, making it harder to breath. He felt hot and weak and his body ached with a pain he couldn’t describe.

SpaceLight rushed in and Robinheart bristled. Three cats poured in and studying the trio. The black and white tom gestured to Echocry and the others pounced upon him. Dapplepelt screamed and Robinheart lurched, trying to see what was happening. He wanted to yell, but his mouth remained closed.

SpaceBehind him, Echocry struggled against them, but he was outmatched. They grabbed his scruff and dragged him through the hole, taking the light with them. Dapplepelt began to weep and scream in terror and Robinheart stared at the entrance with horrified eyes as realization set in.

Space“They’re going to kill him!”

SpaceHer screams ripped him from the dark and Robinheart’s gaze whipped to her. “No, they aren’t! Echocry is strong, he’ll break free! He’ll run to the clan, and. . .” His voice faded as he felt his chest tighten. “They’ll come for us, I promise.” The words felt hollow, and they slowly tore open a wound in Robinheart as he realized he didn’t believe his own words.

~~~

SpaceLight and a new cat entered, watching them in silence. Dapplepelt cowered and Robinheart’s fur bristled. “What do you want, fox-face?” He glared as the cat watched him, then turned and left with the light.

SpaceA slow breath slipped from Robinheart’s mouth. His leg throbbed and his body felt like fire, but he ignored it and found distraction in Dapplepelt. They didn’t joke or laugh, but just talked. She fell silent for a moment and stood, her paws moving through the mud until she stood behind him where she laid and rested her head on his shoulder. He felt relief from the contact and closed his eyes, focusing on the weight of her head.

Space“You’re warm.” She muttered, her breath leveling as sleep finally came.

~~~

SpaceRobinheart gazed into the darkness, the pressure from Dapplepelt’s head on his shoulder keeping him grounded. He felt weak and tired, but could still sense the slightest candle flame of determination and hope still in his heart.

SpaceLight rushed in and Robinheart tensed. Three cats entered and panic surged as they stepped over him and grabbed Dapplepelt’s scruff. She screamed and flailed, claws flashing as they dragged her. Robinheart fought to lift his head and shouted at her. Their eyes met as her paw came down, claws raking the skin just beside his eye.

Space“Robinheart!” Her plea rang against the walls and he fought his exhaustion, desperate to rise.

Space“Fight them! Run!”

SpaceThey pulled her through the entrance and the light snapped out in a second. Robinheart laid, staring where her panicked face was a second ago, his heart pounding in his chest. Slowly, the darkness pooled in his chest and a scream ripped through his throat, tears forming in his eyes. He screamed until his lungs burned, then he fell limp. He gazed into the darkness without emotion, his body feeling hollowed. His leg throbbed, his head ached, and his stomach groaned from hunger.

~~~

SpaceTime passed and they didn’t come. He laid, his breathing shallow and his mind empty from everything but darkness. His stomach growled and his mouth felt dry. The pain in his leg throbbed with his heart, slowly creeping to his chest.

~~~

SpaceHe tried to sleep once, but when his eyes closed he saw her terrified face. At times her voice echoed and the desire to rake the mud with his claws came, but passed as his body failed to muster the strength. His tongue felt like a stone in his mouth.

~~~

SpaceThe darkness embraced him and he felt as though he was spinning through water. His abdomen ached with hunger and the desire for water continued to pound his head with rocks. The pain in his leg had climbed to his neck, sapping his spirit like a parasite. As he gazed into the darkness, his mind wandered to death and how it would feel.

~~~

SpaceLight pooled in, but he didn’t move.

SpaceA shadow stretched over him, but he didn’t look.

SpaceAs paws stepped forward and into the mud, he mustered a hoarse question: “Finally here to kill me too?”

SpaceNo answer came and curiosity drew his eyes to the source of the shadow. Slowly, his eyes widened and his lip curled back as his fur bristled. “No. No! You didn’t give it all up! Don’t tell me you gave them up!”

SpaceSpecklestar stared down at him, tears pooling in her eyes as her mouth hovered in a state of open horror. Her jaw trembled as he yelled at her before she broke from her state of bewilderment and called to others over her shoulder. Four cats rushed in and moved to lift him from the mud, shock in their eyes, and Robinheart felt his chest swell with something that felt like relief.

Space“I would never give up, Robinheart.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SpaceRobinheart sat near the opening of the medicine den, watching Rivershine study the injured warrior with her good eye. He sighed and leaned back, gazing up at the drifting clouds above as he moved what remained of his left leg as the lost paw were pulling at the soil below.

Space“Robinheart?”

Space“Hm?” He didn’t move as she approached, his eyes still focused on the distant sky.

Space“How are you?” Specklestar sat beside him, watching him with worry.

Space“I’m doing alright.”

SpaceThe answer was as distant as his mind and he felt the eyes of Rivershine rest on his back. Specklestar spoke again, cautiously this time. “Do you need more thyme?”

SpaceHe shook his head. Above, the clouds swirled, unfazed by the wind which pushed them. He breathed deeply and pulled away from the wall. The scars of what had happened would forever remain on his body, mind, and spirit, and the terrified face of Dapplepelt would forever haunt him when he closed his eyes. The darkness would always feel suffocating, and flashes of light would always make him panic. But. . .

SpaceHe met the worried gaze of Specklestar and studied her. Slowly, a smile spread across his face, glittering in the sunlight. Her face slowly illuminated and he caught a glimpse of tears forming on her eyes.
Last edited by Hail. on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
(formerly howlingtothestars)

ImagexImagexImage

┌─────────────┐
coding My Characters
DA Art Sales Amarogs
Cinderclan Avatar

└─────────────┘
● ● ━━━━━━━━━━ ● ●
┌─────────────┐
Back to college!
Heya! You can call me Howl, I'll
respond to both c:

└─────────────┘
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Oceanfosh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 am

𝑲𝑬𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑬𝑳𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑰𝑲𝑬
Oceanfosh
Cats of the Whispering Wood
Warrior
(Possibly future med cat)

Male
31 moons
(10 1/3 seasons)

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

xxxxxKestrelstrike sat on the windowsill, staring outside. The sun wasn’t just up yet, so the rays of sunlight couldn’t cast themselves through the clear surface. In the background, there were claws screeching against wood ground as a feline chased after its prey.
“Stormface, cut it out! Your claws don’t have to be as loud as your mouth, you know!” It was Swiftstar, hissing at a gray bicolor. Stormface was batting around a piece of cloth, one that was shaped as a mouse and carried the faint smell of what they called catnip.
“Fine,” Stormface muttered with a final roll, flinging the fake-mouse past Swiftstar. She then, with a trill, leapt up onto the same windowsill that Kestrelstrike was on. It was something the bicolor spent most of her time by because of how the sun’s light could reach down through the trees and splash gold across her pelt.
“Kestrelstrike, I’ve never asked, so, how exactly did you lose your leg?” Stormface asked. Kestrelstrike paused, trying to remember back to when it happened.
“Honestly, I’ve forgotten most of it. All I remember are a flurry of claws and teeth and pain, a huge, mostly white twoleg room, and then suddenly I was out here again without a leg.” He responded.
“You’re going to have to be more careful, then.”
“Why?”
“Keep in mind, we don’t have any form of healer. No medicine cat, no herb knowledge, no humans to save us. If whatever happened to you happens to you again, then should something fatal or terrible come up like infection or sickness, there would be absolutely nothing to save you. Save any of us.”
xxxxxKestrelstrike nodded. “Yea, I know.” He said but didn’t think much about it. He blinked against the sudden burst of light as the sun rose over the trees. “Hey, has Swiftstar told you anything about what she plans to do to the tiger cats on the west border?” Kestrelstrike asked.
“Swiftstar doesn’t tell me anything. If you want to know about the situation with those tigers, then you’re going to have to talk to someone she doesn’t hate, like Blackfoot or Emberflight.” Stormface said.
“Alright, thanks.” He replied, leaping down from the windowsill. Kestrelstrike felt bad for the elder, mostly because despite her age the bicolor still had to hunt to contribute to the clan, or else she faced both Swiftstar and the possibility of getting kicked out of the clan. Honestly, he wasn’t sure if it was a rule or really just a punishment for the cat that Swiftstar hated.
xxxxxBefore Kestrelstrike had become a cat of the Whispering Wood, Swiftstar had set up a rule that said: “Any cat the age of two seasons or older must contribute to the clan by hunting and fighting. After reaching the age and rank of an elder, the cat is excluded from battles but must still hunt prey at either dawn or dusk each day. Only queens, medicine cats, the sick, and cats that physically can’t hunt or fight are excluded from this rule.” Kestrelstrike didn’t mind the rule, and most likely wont until he becomes an elder, but the problem was that it wasn’t enforced for anyone but Stormface. Blackfoot follows the rule, and so does Swiftstar, but Emberflight has clearly skipped past it. Kestrelstrike himself has figured out the lack of enforcement as well. Even he has skipped hunting for a day or two.
xxxxxThe golden shaded tom approached the deputy, Blackfoot, to ask about the situation with the tiger cats. The brown, scarred tabbies that lived along the Whispering Wood’s west border were dangerous, and the clan was beginning to plan a way to rid the forest of them.
“Hey, Blackfoot.” Kestrelstrike said. The ghost tabby looked distant and worried about something, but he didn’t question it.
“Greetings.” Blackfoot replied, snapping out of whatever he was thinking.
“Do you happen to know what Swiftstar plans to do about the tiger cats?” Kestrelstrike asked, and Blackfoot nodded.
“Yes. She was worried about our clan, because they outnumber us greatly, and her last meeting with Silver didn’t go too well. So, in two nights, Swiftstar, me, you and Emberflight will be launching a sneak attack on them. Don’t worry too much about it, though. Swiftstar will go over the plan before the attack. Is there any specific reason you would like to know that you don’t mind sharing?”

xxxxxThe rough, animal skin couch was comfortable to Kestrelstrike, who was previously sleeping soundly until the rays of the sun spilled through the trees and into his eyes, waking the tom up in an instant. It was the day of the attack, and the day before Swiftstar had announced that she would go over the plan in the morning and that they’d leave for the attack a few minutes before dusk. Getting up, he stretched, his gaze flicking over to the deputy. The black and white tom looked even more worried than before, his tail twitching nervously. Kestrelstrike shrugged it off, stretching before Swiftstar leapt onto the couch herself and called the clan over. Every cat but Stormface came, gathering beside the couch to hear what their leader had to say.
xxxxx“Blackfoot, Emberflight, and Kestrelstrike,” Swiftstar began. “I’m sure all three of you know about the planned attack on the tiger cats, which reside on the west border. Me and Blackfoot have been discussing multiple ways of attack, using all four of us strategically so we can win the battle despite our little numbers. The tiger cats’ camp appears to be little guarded, but multiple of the cats hide in the bushes and shadows. There are more cats on the side of the camp closest to us, so we will be circling around from a distance and approaching from the back. Blackfoot will lead us through the trees, and we will get as close to the center above their camp as we can. Emberflight, use your practiced leaping skills to start the attack from the trees. Blackfoot will follow, and Emberflight will get to attack weaker points in the camp while Blackfoot keeps the stronger cats away. I will continue off in the trees to attack their current leader, Silver. Any questions so far?”
“Yes.” Kestrelstrike said. “What am I going to do?”
“I was getting to that. You will approach on foot, sneaking into the camp while we cause chaos and destroying any herb supplies or anything that could be used for healing. After that you will join Emberflight in attacking the weak-“
“Why on foot?” Kestrelstrike hissed. “I’m perfectly capable of climbing through trees like the rest of the clan!”
“You might be clumsier in the trees, so the ground would be a better approach for you, considering-“
“My leg?” He growled. “Just because I have three legs I suddenly can’t climb?”
xxxxxAn apricot tail rested over Kestrelstrike’s back. “It’s not that we don’t think you can climb, it’s just that in the case where you fell for whatever reason, it would ruin the surprise attack. We are just being careful so there is as high a chance as we can get for success.” It was Emberflight. Kestrelstrike stood up with a hiss, walking out of the camp.
“Kestrelstrike!” Blackfoot tried to call, but Kestrelstrike had already left.
xxxxxThe forest was nearly silent and would be should the birds stop chirping and the breeze stop blowing. Irritated, Kestrelstrike broke into a run, headed towards the west border. He slowed down by the twoleg workplace, trotting through the trees until he stopped at the border. Sitting down a few mouse-lengths away from it, Kestrelstrike glared into the forest ahead of him. Shadows were cast down onto the leaf-littered floor, each branch overlapping another to form a barrier to keep out the light. “No wonder they love it here, in this forest.” He muttered. Maybe he should go past the border, and spy for the clan as proof that he could climb.

He would have if it weren’t for the approaching apricot tabby.

“Kestrelstrike!” Emberflight, who was panting from running, came up behind Kestrelstrike. He had obviously already figured out what the golden-shaded tom was thinking. “If they catch us spying, then that’ll blow the whole plan!”
“I’m aware.” Kestrelstrike replied plainly.
“You know you could talk to Swiftstar and see if she could put you in a position in the trees.”
“No, it’s fine, I’ll deal with it. Hey, Emberflight, what exactly happened to you before you got here?”
“Huh?”
“You talk about the ocean a lot, but we don’t have one around here.”
“Oh.” Emberflight sighed, his gaze falling to the ground. “Yea, I used to live by one. But then all the twolegs disappeared and I went looking for them with another cat. Then I ended up here, nothing special.”
“What was the cat named?”
“Dawn.”
“That’s a nice name. What happened to them?”
“She died of sickness.”
“Oh… I’m-“
“Don’t apologize, you couldn’t have done anything about it.” Emberflight stood up. “Blackfoot wants to talk to you.”

xxxxxKestrelstrike padded into the camp, tail down. He came up to Blackfoot, who was grooming his paw. He sat down in front of the deputy, who set his paw down.
“When we attack tonight, you better not run off like you did this morning.”
“Yea, sorry, I won’t.”
“They keep their herbs in a well-protected spot, towards the furthest right corner from when you enter the 3rd section of the camp from the 2nd. There are multiple cats guarding them, and Silver’s den isn’t far away. There are multiple places with kits and older cats throughout the camp.” Blackfoot then whispered to Kestrelstrike.
“H-how do you know all that?”
“Doesn’t matter to you. Leave.”
Kestrelstrike turned around, confused, but followed the deputy’s order and left anyway.
xxxxxIt wasn’t long after that when the sun began to set. Stormface entered the camp, a mouse in her jaws. She set the mouse down on the kill-pile before leaping up onto the windowsill to enjoy the last rays of the sun. The rest of the cats gathered around Swiftstar by the first cat-door exit.
“Does everyone remember what they will be doing?” She asked, and all of the three cats before her nodded.
“Good. We will be headed off now, please remember that if you mess up you risk the whole mission.” Swiftstar’s gaze was directed at Kestrelstrike, who met her gaze evenly. With that, the leader turned and exited through the cat door, her clan’s warriors not far behind her.
xxxxxThe walk to the west border felt much longer than it should’ve. Kestrelstrike also couldn’t help but notice that Blackfoot looked on edge. Perhaps it was the half-moon: Blackfoot always looked nervous when the half-moon shone in the sky. The sun was nearly completely swallowed by the trees and the pitch black of the night. But the cats reached the border, where Swiftstar then let Blackfoot take the lead as all the cats leaped into the trees. All four leapt from branch to branch silently, following their deputy’s lead as they approached the camp. However, Kestrelstrike eventually broke off from the group, pouncing down to the ground so he could stalk around to the other side of the camp. He then waited for the signal: Swiftstar flicking her tail, and the sound of a cat heavily hitting the ground from above.
xxxxxThe night was cold. A little colder than to Kestrelstrike’s liking, and suddenly he was glad that he didn’t have to face the freezing wind from up in the branches of the trees. As he was waiting beside the edge of the camp, Kestrelstrike could see many brown, striped cats talking and preparing for the night. Two kits batted around a leaf, and a slightly older cat, apprentice aged, was watching over them. Birds began to end their songs and allow the crickets to take over, their sound filling the forest and announcing the arrival of night. A light breeze ran through the forest, ruffling Kestrelstrike’s fur. The kits within his sight stopped, shivering, and the apprentice aged cat watching them quickly ushered the small bodies inside of a den. The breeze died down, and for a moment even the crickets were silent. The brown, striped cats suddenly looked around nervously, their fur along their spines rising up but a tiny space. The forest… No, the world itself was silent for a long, terrible moment.

Thump.

An apricot tabby hit the ground and broke the silence.

xxxxxKestrelstrike turned, quietly but quickly making his way toward where Blackfoot claimed the herbs were kept. It took a few moments, but eventually one cat shouted as the black and white deputy hit the floor, “We’re under attack!”. Screeching and hissing broke into the air nearly before the cat had finished shouting. The battle had begun.
xxxxxHe could feel how tense the air was. Each paw after another, Kestrelstrike eventually came up to the den which held the herbs. Sneaking around the back, he entered from behind. The den was neat and smelled of plants. It had no cats in it, but Kestrelstrike could see tails in the entrance. He would have to hurry.
“Who are you? Are you going to make me feel better?” A voice squeaked. Kestrelstrike froze, looking down to his bottom left only to see a tiny kitten, looking up at the golden-shaded tom with wide, innocent eyes. He was supposed to kill the weak. That included the kitten. But he couldn’t. The small, fragile body wouldn’t stand a chance against even the three-legged tom. Taking in a small breath, Kestrelstrike leaned down towards the kit.
“No, but I’m going to save you.” He whispered and picked up the kit by the scruff and turned, exiting the den as silently as he could.
xxxxx“Where are you taking me? Mom won’t be happy, we aren’t supposed to leave the camp. She says that scary things live out here, and if you don’t come back in time then they will gobble you up.” The kit said, and Kestrelstrike broke into a run. He felt so bad for the kit. Its mother was right: all kinds of things like owls, hawks, coyotes, and crocodiles lived out in the forest and the ponds within it. It wasn’t safe, but should Kestrelstrike leave the kit in that den, he’d either have to kill it himself or wait for one of his clanmates to. Eventually, he set the kit down by a large bush, and examined it to ensure that it was safe.
“My name’s Kestrelstrike. What’s yours?” He asked the kit.
“Adwita.”
“Adrita?”
“No, Adwita.”
“Adwita? With a ‘W’?”
“Yes.”
“That’s a strange name. I thought your group named you guys after sticks and mud and rocks and stuff.”
“Mom said that she used to have a friend named Adwita.”
“Alright. Well, it’s going to be really dangerous back at home, so I want you to hide in this bush. Do not come out for any cat, and if anything tries to attack you then either back up further into the bush or run and hide again. Okay?”
The kit nodded. “Will mom be okay?”
“Of course.” Kestrelstrike lied. “Stay here and stay safe.” He turned around.

What have I done?

xxxxxKestrelstrike raced back to the tiger cats’ camp, sliding under the bushes into the den with the herbs. Looking around, he noticed all the herbs were gone; they must have been moved. Blinking quickly, cats hissing and screeching in the distance, the golden-shaded tom froze as he heard paw-steps behind him. Only moments after, a cat crashed into Kestrelstrike, knocking him off balance due to his lack of a left arm. Trying to fight back, his conscience was stamped out by the swift blow of a paw to the head.

xxxxxThe area was black. Pitch black, to the point where he wasn’t sure where he was at first. Eventually, however, it became apparent: It was the middle of the night, and Kestrelflight was not back in the Whispering Wood, which must mean he was a prisoner. If he was captured, and captured by a single cat, then his chances of escaping were very little. That meant he would have to wait for his clanmates to come save him.
Maybe I shouldn’t have come in the first place.
Maybe if I hadn’t saved that kit and just killed it instead.

He shook his head. The kit had to live.

xxxxxHe waited for an eternity and was filled with joy and embarrassment when he was saved. Now under golden grass lit up by the rays of the dusk of the following day, Kestrelstrike enjoyed the air. He couldn’t help but wonder what had happened to the kit, Adwita, but he forced his thought away from it. He messed up once and couldn’t again. He was sure the failure would haunt him for many seasons to come. Kestrelstrike’s gaze flicked up to a tree.
xxxxxA small, black tabby kit stumbled out from behind a tree. Kestrelstrike took in a sharp breath. Oh no... He thought.
"The stars won't leave me alone." The kit said.
"What do you mean?" Kestrelstrike asked. He would have to find a way to hide her before Swiftstar or one of the other clan members found out.
"They speak to me, they think I’m their friend. I always tell them, no, I don't want to see home on fire. No, I don't want to see mom and everyone gone."
"What do they say to you?"
"They say... They say that the bird will hit the ground with a big flash and that... And that it has to pick...."
"Pick what?"
"I don't know... The stars think that it's possible to choose when it rains a thunderstorm or a small drizzle-" Suddenly she gasped. "The leaves! The leaves can help, the leaves can help the cuts, the leaves can help, but the leaves can’t save..."
"Kestrelstrike?"
Kestrelstrike froze; it was Swiftstar.

Later, Kestrelstrike talked to Swiftstar.
“Swiftstar, could I be a medicine cat?”

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
3000 / 3000 words

The last few paragraphs may seem a little rushed! This is because I was running out of words to work with. Thank you for reading and good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Oceanfosh on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Oceanfosh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cinxer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Username: babypizza
Cat Name: longlegs edit: if he had kits he’d be daddy longlegs 😂
Clan: oakclan

Prompt: https://hopethealtimatepotatoe.tumblr.c ... t-longlegs
Not proud of it but that’s as good as it’s getting ;-;
res with fighting a fox, caught in trap, named before his accident. Infection sets in
Last edited by Cinxer on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cinxer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby silver ~ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm

z
Last edited by silver ~ on Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
silver ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goner. » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:02 am

Username: Goner.
Cat Name: Dog Food (will be Firefly later)
Clan: Autumnclan

Prompt:

Rain was falling heavily the night a stray cat, with fur as bright as a firefly, was giving birth to her kittens. She was alone with no help around. But she was determined and strong. She knew that all she had to do was to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔. Minutes turned to hours, but eventually three beautiful kittens had been born. One with long, dark brown fur. One with solid black fur, the runt. One with fur the color of blazing fire. The three were gorgeous. It would have been four, but one, a small grey kitten, did not make it.
The city is a dangerous place and the mother knew that. Her goal was to find a safe place for her kittens to live. She didn't give any of them names. She didn't want to get too attached to any of them for she would soon have to say goodbye. Days and days passed. The mother had no luck finding a new home for her kittens. She tried giving them to twolegs, groups of strays, even forest cats. Sadly, they all refused. She couldn't give up. She had to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. She had to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔.
Food was scarce. Because of this, the mother struggled finding enough food for her and the three kittens. The runt had been struggling. He couldn't quite keep up with the other three. The mother eventually had to end up carrying him in her mouth or on her back. One night, she decided it was time to rest. She had a feeling the runt wouldn't make it to morning. She cuddled up against him and waited for the reaper to come collect the small soul. Her prediction was right. The runt didn't have enough food in his system to keep him going. When the other two kittens woke, she turned their attention away. She ordered them to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔.
The firefly furred cat was determined to save her remaining kittens. She went up to a group of stray cats, hoping they would listen to her pleading and provide a safe home. They refused. They had other plans. The black furred leader looked down at them with cold, ice blue eyes. He was small but he had power. The black cat hissed and commanded his group to take the three hostage. They obeyed and grabbed a hold of the strays. Huffing, the black cat pointed at one of the kits, the brown one. One of the evil cats grabbed her by the head and carried her over to him. The black cat licked his lips. He took the small kitten away. All was silent until cries of pain rang through the air. The mother had taken her kits to a group of cannibal cats. Her heart sank and she became light headed. No, she told herself. I need to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. I need to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔. She hissed and thrashed around, breaking free from the grip the cat had on her. She bolted over to her last remaining kit and grabbed him by the neck, running off with him.
Now she was left with one but she didn't give up. She wanted this kitten to live a healthy, safe life. She wandered with that kit for days. Weeks. Moons. She had no luck. She was starving after giving all of her food to her kitten. His life was more important than hers. Her last kitten was now almost four moons old. Sooner or later, he is going to have to survive on his own. Sadly, it had been sooner. The two cats were resting in an alleyway and the mother felt her minutes begin to fade away due to lack of food. She brought her kitten close and held him tight, explaining to him that it was her time to once again be with her other kittens. The firefly furred cat told him not to worry and that she would always be with him. She looked him deep in his golden eyes and left her words of wisdom. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔.
And he did just that. He was able to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. To 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔. That next morning, he woke up because something had been bugging his nose. He sneezed and shook his head, looking up to see a small firefly dancing around in the air. He crouched down and playfully pounced at it. The firefly would dart around and he would follow it. He used this bug as a guide as to what to do next.
The stray was now almost a full year old. Though, times were still hard for him. He was struggling to find food. The firefly had disappeared moons ago and ever since, he struggled to find food for himself. Today especially. But he had to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. He had to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔. When he was searching for food, he stumbled upon a very aged twoleg who looked down at him with a wry smile. The twoleg snatched him up and carried him back down an alleyway where another twoleg was waiting in front of a cage. The twolegs conversed with each other, talking about how the stray would make perfect food for their fighting dogs. With those words, the stray began to thrash around, clawing at the twoleg, trying to get away. He was unsuccessful. The twoleg held the stray by the tail as he opened up the cage. The cage held two dogs who were ravenous. They hadn't eaten in several days. The twoleg told the dogs to wait as he tossed the cat into the cage. The dogs loomed over the stray while very quietly repeating the words D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ over and over again. The twoleg closed the cage and commanded the dogs to enjoy their D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉.

D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉
D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉

The dogs did unimaginable things to that stray. It seemed to have lasted for hours to him. The dogs tore him apart. The twoleg slammed his cane on the cage to get the dogs attention. He opened the cage up and led the dogs out to make their way to their next dog fight. The stray laid motionless on the cold concrete, surrounded by a crimson liquid. His whole body had been in severe pain. The words D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ repeated in his mind. Haunting him. He was ready to give up. He was ready until a firefly buzzed by and landed on the ground in front of him. He remembered the words his mother gave him. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔. He struggled. His body ached, but he was determined to get up. One leg after the other, he was able to get his paws on the floor. All but one. Confused, he looked down, only to notice that one of his legs had been eaten by the dogs. He, very shakily, stood up and limped over to the opening of the cage. He tried to shake his thoughts away, but D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉ wouldn't leave his mind.
Alone, and now very wounded, he had to find a place to rest. He limped down a different alleyway and threw his body to the ground. The firefly had different plans. It wanted him to 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝐹𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔. It buzzed around in the strays face, trying to get his attention. Eventually, the stray got up and snapped at the firefly. The firefly blinked and flew to a small hole in a wooden fence. The stray walked over and peaked through the hole, revealing a gorgeous forest. The firefly flew through the hole and the cat slowly followed. He was amazed. The forest was something he had never seen before up close. The two made their way deep into the forest, far away from the city. Eventually, he came across the Ever Autumn Forest. Confused as to why the leaves in this place were different colors, he looked around to see if he could find anything.
While in this forest, he stumbled upon the leader of a forest cat clan. Her name was Dawnstar and she realized that the stray was terribly wounded. She ushered him into the clans camp and brought him to the medicine cat's den, where he was all fixed up. Dawnstar asked him what his name was. He was never given a name. He sat and thought for a second before quietly muttering out the words D҉O҉G҉ F҉O҉O҉D҉. Dawnstar tilted her head and asked why. He explained what had happened to him when he lived in the city. The leader offered the stray a place in Autumnclan. He very happily accepted. Now, he is living a happy and healthy life as a warrior for Autumnclan. He was proud and he knew that his mother would be, too. He has the life his mother wanted him to have and it's all because he listened to her words.

𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝑔𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒦𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝒻𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔.
[1,503/3,000]
( 𝒾'𝒹 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓎𝑜𝓊 )─────
[ ♫ black lives ♪ ]
──────────
[ ♪ MATTER ♫ ]
──────────────────────( 𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓉𝑜 𝓌𝓇𝒾𝓉𝑒 𝒶 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 )
[ she/they | bi | scorpio | i love to draw and i play video games like wayyyy too much ]
Goner.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imagine_Ink » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:51 am

Dune

Username: Imagine_Ink Clan: Dawnclan Rank: Warrior

Prompt:

'All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies.
And whenever they catch you, they will kill you.
But first, they must catch you’
-Watership Down
Imagine_Ink

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tordier » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:51 am

xxxxxxxxxxx
Username: Gleon
Cat Name: Threeleg
Clan: Fractureclan

Prompt: 2,984 Words
xxxxxxxxxxx
Threeleg and Endurance

Many loners were left on their own to raise their kits, but Golden's mother, a lean, black queen, named Beetle, was lucky enough to have friends to assist her. Golden and her littermates were the newest additions to a small group of loners. They lived together, helped each other, and were better off for it. Without any proper organization or leadership, things did get messy from time to time, but this arrangement was still far better than the grim alternative of a life alone.
    These loners were special in that they happened to be quite adept at fishing. Golden preferred the taste of mice from the start, so countless battles were fought against her mother, who tried to teach her not to turn her nose up at a meal. Eventually, Golden did acquire a taste for fish just as she was coming of age to begin learning to catch them for herself. It was hard work, and she failed many times, but those disappointments paled in comparison to the pride she felt when she managed to hook her first fish out of a stream. That night, her family ate because she was able to help provide for them.
    This was a good sign for everyone in this modest group, because it verified that the newest litter of kits were no longer kits. They could hunt and fish for themselves. That also meant they were old enough to keep up with the other adults, and keep up they did. Such a group without a defined territory was destined to wander. Golden soon found her paws pounding from the endless walking she did day after day. She saw many strange, wonderful, mysterious, and frightening things on her journey, but the most memorable of these events would change the course of her future forever.

Golden had not been travelling long, but the days were already beginning to blur together into one stretch of unsettling novelty as her world changed relentlessly around her. However, Golden was able to take consolation in the fact that she was surrounded by familiar faces, no matter where she found herself each sunrise. Golden had only been out hunting by herself two or three times, but it did not seem much different from hunting with supervision. She preferred hunting alone, even. It allowed her to focus without worrying about others judging her actions. When Golden was alone, she had only her results to answer to, and she intended for those results to be favorable.
    The young she-cat set to work, searching the foreign landscape for signs of prey. She noted a twolegplace at the other end of a field, but kept far away from it. No cat wanted trouble from twolegs. Even Golden was old enough to know that. She also knew how to find a scent, and before long, she had followed it to its source. The air was filled with preyscent, which excited her. Golden had an easy time discovering the creature at the end of the trail.

She stalked it from behind a patch of tall grass. The creature was much like a mouse, but significantly larger, so Golden suspected this was one of those "rats" she had heard the older cats talking about. Whatever it was, it was oblivious. Soon, the rat had come close enough to be within range. In a single leap, Golden pounced. The rat struggled beneath her claws, but the young she-cat managed to hold it down long enough to dispatch it with a bite to the back of the neck. She breathed a sigh of relief.
    "Whew! It almost got away." she mewed to herself.
    Now that the creature was dead, Golden could get a better look at it. It was a plump animal, with big ears, a pointed nose, and a long, naked tail. Everything about it matched the description she had overheard just a few days prior.
    After taking a moment to marvel at her find and catch her breath again, Golden felt it was time to bring her fresh-kill back to the others. That was when she realized that she was not alone.

It started as a rustling. As Golden looked up, she was met with dozens of tiny, black eyes staring at her from the bushes just a cat-length away. She tilted her head, curious about these strange creatures. Golden wondered what they were doing, staring at her, and whether she could manage to hunt another of them. They must have had bees in their brains if they were too stupid to realize the danger they were in. Golden smirked to herself and pounced.
    This time, her chosen prey darted away from her grasping claws, while another rat raced forward and gave her a firm nip on the paw. Golden hissed in pain and swiped at the offending creature, only to feel another one bite into her hind leg. She laid her ears against her skull defiantly as she whirled around and smacked the rat away, but again, it was no use. Every time she defended one of her exposed paws, a rat was already waiting to bite the others.
    Confused and in pain, Golden realized that she was fighting a losing battle. She turned to run, only to find that the rats had somehow surrounded her. Her sunbeam eyes widened. These rats were not stupid at all. They were very, deadly smart.

There were just too many. With each new wound, Golden grew slower and clumsier. She yowled her companions' names in an desperate attempt to call for help as she struggled against the endless tide of rats. Vaguely, after what seemed like moons of waiting, she heard someone's voice, someone's pounding paws, someone's hissing and snarls, someone's jaws clamping around the matted fur on the back of her neck and dragging her to safety.

Golden did not regain awareness until much later. Before she even opened her eyes, she felt how badly hurt she was. Her pelt stung and ached with even the finest twitch of a muscle. The dry leaves that made up her nest felt more like gravel against her wounds. She could hear voices nearby.

"I don't know whether she's the bravest or the dumbest cat I've ever met!", one of the older cats, Kyrie, exclaimed.
    The familiar voice of Golden's mother retorted quickly, "Just tell me if she can make it!"

She sounded angry, terrified, impatient. If Beetle was that upset, it must be bad. Golden opened her eyes, but her vision was blurred and unfocused. Why was she so dizzy?

"Maybe? I don't know, Beetle, look at her! She ran right into a rat's nest, for cats' sake!", Kyrie snapped. "Look, I'm doing what I can..."

Golden felt her chest tighten as she heard Kyrie admit that her chances of survival were so low. She must have gasped, because she saw both cats suddenly turn to look at her. At least her vision was a little clearer now.

"Golden! How do you feel?"
    Her mother practically leaped to her side, gently pressing her forehead into Golden's in a welcome gesture of affection.
    "M...moth-"
    "Shhh, don't talk now, my little one.", Beetle interrupted. "Just try to sleep."
    Somehow, through the painful, hazy fog that clouded her mind, Golden found herself drifting off to sleep just as her mother had encouraged. She scarcely had time to feel irritated at being spoken to as if she were kit before blackness enveloped her once more.

Golden slept. When she woke again, she had lost all sense of time to the dull, throbbing pain that coursed through her veins. It could have been minutes or moons later, for all she knew, but judging from the hunger that gnawed at her belly, minutes seemed unlikely. The lengthy rest had at least given her time to recover enough strength to maintain some awareness of her surroundings, and the first thing she did was take a look around to see where she was and what had happened to her.
    It was dark, and smelled vaguely of twolegs and crowfood. Beneath her were stretches of long, flat, smooth slabs of trees fastened firmly to the ground to create a floor. More tree slabs formed walls all around her, and a roof as well. Sunlight streamed through a few holes in the roof, and one notably large one in the wall behind her. Golden was glad she had not woken to the light shining directly into her face.
    Then, she looked at herself.
    Her fur was matted from the open wounds that covered her, but the lack of dirt or grime indicated that someone had tried their best to keep her clean regardless. Though she was covered in oozing sores, the worst of it was on her front left leg. Golden could hardly see any fur left at all. When she tried to flex her paw, nothing happened, except that the aching in her injured leg nearly doubled. The implications of such a severe wound made Golden feel sick to her stomach, though perhaps the scent of crowfood was more to blame. She sniffed, grimacing in disgust at the putrid odor, hoping to discover the source. It smelled like it was nearby. Suddenly, Golden realized.
    "Is that... me...?"

A shadow appeared in the light illuminating Golden's ragged pelt. She turned her head, squinting against the brightness, to see the familiar shape her mother approaching with a plump mouse held between her teeth. Golden purred weakly at the comforting arrival of a loved one as the mouse was set before her.
    "You must be hungry, Golden."
    The worry in Beetle's voice was obvious, but there was something else, too. Instantly, Golden got the feeling that her mother was hiding something. However, it seemed that talking would have to wait until after she ate. Golden received nothing but a stern look when she attempted to ask questions. Seeing as she was already so hungry, Golden chose to forget her concerns in the name of satiating her hunger. Even the slightest movement tugged at her raw and oozing skin, but the desire to fill her belly was even stronger. Soon, the mouse was gone, and she looked up at Beetle expectantly.

"Oh, my little one."
    A sympathetic mew prefaced a gentle tongue atop Golden's head. The caressing warmth soothed her pain where it touched. Despite the offensive odor coming from Golden's wounds, Beetle did not so much as flinch. Had she been the one cleaning her injuries all this time?
    "Mother, what happened to me? I... I can't move my leg..."
    With every word, panic rose in Golden's voice. Admitting her condition aloud somehow made it more real. She was afraid of dying. She was afraid of losing the use of her leg. She was afraid of being covered in ugly, smelly sores and the monstrous scars they would leave behind. It seemed like her future was full of terrible options. Was there no way to escape this fate?
    "Kyrie said that would happen...", Beetle mused under her breath. "Maybe it is our only hope."
    "Mum, I'm scared."
    Beetle sighed the sigh of one who carried the whole world on their back. She laid down next to her daughter, leaving her tail tip to gently rest against one of the few healthy patches left on Golden's flank.
    "...Golden, you're really sick. It's... Rat bites leave infections. Kyrie's seen it before. It's why they... well, smell like that."
    Golden's eyes widened, more from horror than understanding. She was not entirely sure what an "infection" meant, but it sounded really bad. The way Beetle struggled to explain the situation to her only confirmed her fears. Maybe she really was dying... It hurt so much.
    "I'll get better, right?"
    The dullness in Golden's eyes despite the hopeful question betrayed her true opinion. Golden already understood she was not fix-able. Beetle looked away.
    "N- ...There's... There's one thing. A chance. But it's very hard, and it might not work. We all decided it should be your choice if we do it."
    The formerly missing hope flickered back to life in Golden's brilliant, sunshine eyes. A chance was all she needed. Maybe it could even keep the scars from being too bad. She couldn't really lose her leg, right?
    "What? What is it?"
    "Fractureclan."
    "Huh? What's that?
    "A group of cats. Like us, but bigger, and... organized. They have a territory nearby, and a healer. The rumors say their healer can fix even terrible wounds like these."
    Beetle brushed her tail lightly over her daughter's patchy fur.
    "Let's go, then! Anything to stop it from hurting..."
    "It's not that simple, Golden."
    Another sigh escaped from between Beetle's clenched jaws. Golden's brow furrowed with worry. Were these dangerous cats? What was wrong with them?
    "If we take you there, it would be just you."
    Golden felt her claws dig into the leaves beneath her in shock. Did her mother really just say that she would leave her alone with strange cats?
    "Just me? What? Why?!" Golden demanded.
    "I know, I know. It's that Fractureclan controls the territory. Do you understand? They won't let a bunch of outsiders like us just hang around. Not for the amount of time it would take..."
    Beetle looked Golden up and down.
    "Not in the shape you're in. We'd have to go on without you."
    Golden opened her mouth to protest, but before she could say anything, she felt her mother's gentle paw swipe at her whiskers. No doubt, it was the closest to an ear-boxing Beetle could manage without hurting her kit.
    "Think carefully, Golden. We can't fix you, but maybe, maybe they can. If you go, you'll have a chance to start again with a new life. If you stay... Golden, my sweet, I'm sorry. You won't live."
    Hearing her mother's bluntness about the situation was the final catalyst to Golden, who bit her lip as she felt raw emotion well up within her. She could no longer bare to make eye contact. Beetle gently shifted to lay so close to her daughter that their pelts brushed against one another, but not so close that any pressure would harm Golden's aching skin.
    "I know, little one. Just take your time. Tonight is Fractureclan's full moon truce. They'll let us into their territory without a problem. You have until then to decide."

Time slipped away like rain into a stream as the sun hung lower and lower in the sky. Golden spent her rapidly waning time drifting in and out of sleep. She was so very tired. Perhaps it was the emotional situation she was faced with, or perhaps her condition was already beginning to drain her of life. Beetle stayed at her side the entire afternoon. Golden was vaguely aware of pawsteps passing through once or twice, no doubt belonging to other familiar cats who wished to check on her. Someone even snorted in disgust at the smell coming from Golden's wounds. It truly was revolting, but Beetle seemed immune to it. She stayed close to her daughter as if nothing at all had changed. How lucky Golden was to have Beetle, but that would not last. One way or another, they would be separated. Golden had to choose, but was it really a choice? Start over or die. The answer seemed obvious, but how could she just leave everything she had ever known behind? Then again, dying would be just that, but forfeiting her life as well as her family.
    "If my life is all I get, then I'd better make it count." Golden mumbled to herself.
    Beetle stirred beside her, purring proudly.
    "That's my girl."

It had been moons since she last heard her mother's voice, but those three words echoed in her head every time she thought of her. Beetle had been so proud of her daughter's determination, meager as it was at the time. Though so much had changed, Golden could always strive to be a cat her mother would be proud of.
    "No. Not "Golden". Not anymore."
    Even her name had changed. Threeleg looked down at herself as she sat beside a stream, where a single forepaw propped up the front half of her body while a useless stump hung where her left front leg had been. There were times when she hated that stump because of what it was missing, and what she was missing out on because of it, but more often, she felt peace. After weeks of recovery in the medicine den, the infection calmed down. Her flesh stopped rotting, and her open sores began to turn to scars. However, there was no saving her shredded leg. Maybe another cat would have been more horrified to discover it missing, but not Threeleg. By then, she was glad for any relief from the pain and horrid stench. She was lucky to be alive at all, even though she was not the same. Only now did Threeleg understand what it meant to truly be grateful. After surviving those rats, complaining about what she ate for dinner like she used to as a kit seemed so terribly petty.
    Everyone, herself included, had been forced to face the reality that she simply could not keep up with other cats, so the leader of Fractureclan had given her a new name to honor her endurance through hardship, and then made her an elder. In a way, it was the best possible life for her. Threeleg had nothing to worry about but eating her fill of prey and peacefully napping her days away. Yet, the youthful spark was not gone from this she-cat. Threeleg wanted more. She was determined to find a way to contribute to the clan that had saved her life in more ways than one. Threeleg wanted to make her mother proud, along with all of Fractureclan.
    "I fished once, and by Starclan, I'll do it again."
    Threeleg stared into the stream, balancing shakily on her haunches while her single forepaw hovered in the air, waiting to strike.
Last edited by Tordier on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Tordier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby groenii » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Username: groenii
Cat Name: Shimmerheart