Return • Settlement Creation Event

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Return • Settlement Creation Event

Postby mothbrainz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:02 am

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Main ThreadFoundersCustoms & MYOsShopNurseryDiscord
Artist SearchRulesFAQGenetics • Lore & NPCs • Shows • Fanclub • Staff

Welcome to Return's opening event!
Closing date: 2/13/2022

To kick off our grand opening, we'll be hosting a lore-based competition. While it's not required to participate in the
official lore, Return does take place in a setting with lore that will be continually developed via group events.
To start off, we'd like to give you guys a chance to contribute to and mold that lore! In this event, you'll have
the chance to create your own settlement - human or feline - and a few lucky winners will be chosen to
become canon additions to Return lore, which can be viewed here.

Have questions? Join the discord and ask in our lore channel!

RULES wrote:» Settlements must be currently located in the grassland biome
    » Settlements should not have any oppressive/discriminatory systems
    » Consider how people would actually live in this settlement:
      • Where do people go to get/produce food? Where would someone go for medical attention? What do
      people do to relax?
    » Human settlements should focus on those who stayed on earth with minimal to no space human involvement,
    due to where thing are in the current timeline
      • Although this should focus on earth-based humans, the spaceships are rather decrepit at this point, for
      context. Think closer to a bus station, than to space lasers.
    » Cat settlements have a lot more freedom, as they'll be fairly anthropomorphized
    » Entries should be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 10,000 words, no art limit
    » Each user may submit 1 human settlement and 1 cat settlement

PRIZES wrote:Get your settlement canonized (winners only)
Guest loremaker position (winners only)
1 fully customizable MYO (winners only)
1 randomized MYO (all participants)
1 litter stat boost item (all participants)
And some additional secret prizes!

How To Enter
To enter, please fill out this form!
If you aren't submitting a particular type of settlement, just mark that as N/A or leave it blank
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Code: Select all
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Human Settlement:[/b]
[b]Cat Settlement:[/b]
Last edited by mothbrainz on Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

hmm

Postby mothbrainz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:02 am

saving just in case
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

boop

Postby mothbrainz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:03 am

aaaand another just in case save
mothbrainz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Return • Settlement Creation Event

Postby Shuurock » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:28 am

Username: Shuurock
Human Settlement: N/A
Cat Settlement:

Dragonfly Alcove
I may edit more but wanted to get it down to mark thread

Dragonfly Alcove is located in the western side of the Grasslands biome. While it is a cat colony with a leader and some power structure, it’s common for cats to come and go as they please. Permanent residents are often those related to leadership or cats who find comfort in the territory or those who are unfit for long spurts of travel.

Thanks to the migration of elk and deer, humans often pass through their territory, the alcove is large enough to support cats who may be traveling with these humans so they often visit during days of rest. This causes high population surges at certain points of the year, these times are a cause for celebration amongst visitors and permanent residents alike. This often means the humans leave with different cats then they came with and some may even fall in love and become pregnant during these times. Luckily this keeps the gene pool from becoming too closely related. There are festivals and celebrations to be had thanks to these visiting cats, oftentimes celebrating new and old friendships and showing off new young cats and sharing gossip. These celebrations are known as Homecomings. This happens twice a year in the spring and fall in accordance to when the elk migrate. Oftentimes pregnant mothers will stay behind to have their kittens, then once they are born and older they will return to their humans the following Homecoming. Some kittens choose to live with their parents while others stay within the Alcove.

The layout of the Alcove consists of broken down human houses, mostly just stone and brick walls, that have been altered and made livable by generations of cats. The old gravel roads have turned to grassy pathways and human yards have become thick fields filled with wheat, hemp, and prairie grasses. Cats often hop from den to den in reference to weather and temperature. Hot summer days lead cats to dens with minimal bedding, while winter dens have lots of bedding that is all pushed together so cats can cuddle together and stay warm. There is however one den that cats don't dare to enter, the den of the leader. This den is made of stone and brick and because of its sturdy materials has not deteriorated as much as the other buildings in the area. There are some stained glass windows that are perfectly in shape, while others have been broken through natural means and cleaned up over the generations.

Often called The Messenger or The Spirit, the leader of Dragonfly Alcove has been albino for as long as any cat remembers. When an albino cat is born they are taken, with permission from the mother, away to the leader's den. The parents and siblings of an albino kitten are then promoted to royalty within the Alcove. While they can still travel most often stay because of the great social standing it brings them. Due to the lack of pigment in their skin and eyes albinos are often very susceptible to sunburns and light fatigue. To protect them they are kept inside this den for most of their life, being cared for by priests and priestesses. They are fed and kept company until they are a year old, at this point they will be introduced to ‘the lights’ , a pile of shattered stain glass that creates images on the stone walls at certain hours of the day. The young cats are then instructed, by the current leader, how to read the lights’ messages. These messages are believed to be from gods or spirits of the past, they often have the power to predict when harsh weather will occur or even when the next Homecoming will happen.

The current leader is known as Spirit. He is a cat born from two royal lines, he is thought to be the purest leader the Alcove has ever seen. Despite this he is awfully lousy at reading the lights, often calling Homecoming too early or not predicting harsh weather.
Shuurock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:51 am

Username: BlueEyedKite
Human Settlement: Introduction (1,836 words), NPCs ( 466 words), Turner Town Fun Facts ( 343 words)
Cat Settlement: n/a
Last edited by BlueEyedKite on Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby EchoIre » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:11 am

Mark!
EchoIre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby canadianhowl » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:46 am

Username: dascanadiansparkle
    Human Settlement: n/a
    Cat Settlement: ooga booga grasslands

Dark Water, a name derived by how murky the waters used to be when the humans left the planet and everything began to deteriorate and get into the fresh water sources nearby.

The grasslands have been shelter and sanctuary for this group of cats for many generations. Starting with the founder Jingles and his brother and sister Cheddar and Minty. They wondered the lands for many days before settling upon a small pool of water to rest. Days went by and two more cats showed up. A cat named Mittens and her brother Scar. The five cats settled down together to live and work to survive out here without their humans. Generations passed down to the cats we have today who live here. Many rules and structures have been added and changed since the original five founder cats. Mud is the current leader of the group.

The first ever king and queen were Jingles and Mittens. They had lovely kittens named Bacon, Yarn, and Keys. After that Yarn and her mate Fern began the new leaders. Slowly as the generations went on cats didn’t know about items that the first cats had known. The cats were too seperate from an ancient house cat and thus cats didn’t fully know what their names were anymore. It was decided that cat names should be based on what was around them as all cats knew about their landscape and what resided. It was easier to name a kitten based on what they knew. Names began to shift to the naming system there is today slowly but steadily.

Structure
    The cats have formed a group that acts similar to a lions pride with a few tweaks. Females often do hunting while the males often are guarding and taking care of the young. It isn’t rare to see a male who’s better at hunting and a female who’s better with guarding. Though it is still essential that a female must know how to guard and a male must know how to hunt just incase. Everyone contributes to the group in some way and everyone has a part in raising the young up. They follow the saying “it takes a village” basically as indeed it does take the community to raise the next generation.

Rankings
    The top of the chain is the king and/or queen. Cats who advice over the group making sure things are getting done and things seem well. They take into concerns of the cats and also sometimes will tag along in hunts or guarding duties.

Below them are the advisors. Advisors often too will take and listen to concerns of the cats and also watch a kitten in how they grow to see what might be best for them in their future. Whether that kitten might be a good front in hunting or has a powerful grasp with fighting.

Healers are the ones who know how to use the flowers and nature around them to help with cuts and wounds. They have learned how to identify and work. Sometimes a healer might also be a hunter or guard but sometimes a cat may simply just only want to serve the clan by healing.

Guards can be broken up into different categories. Some cats are scouts who watch over the borders and the guard title itself are for ones who are at the front of the battle. Cats here are often more agile and strong.

Hunters can be broken down into stalkers, chasers, and finishers. Even more broken down into front and back. Each position requires a different skill set but all hunters must be fast and clever.

Mothers and Caregivers live in the nursery dens keeping 24/7 watch on the kittens. Mothers are well the moms of the kittens and caregivers are cats who have volunteered to watch and help on the side of their normal duties.

Kittens are the kittens of the group. They are watched over to see what skills they have and what they might be best at in the future.

The Naming System
    Kittens are usually born nameless and don’t get a name until either a few months later or until they’re ready to begin training under their assigned role. A kitten given a name by their mother is often something they see that speaks out to them. It could be Cloud or Sun or Grass or even Beetle. A kitten given their name when it’s time to train is often given a name that reflects what their strength is. A name could be Strike or Silent or Quick or Leap. On rare occasions the kitten themselves might request a name for them. It’s allowed but not often does a kitten want to name themselves.

This is the naming system for kittens born in the group. Cats who come into the group from outside usually have to follow the system. Though they can name themselves after a strength or something they’ve seen. Such as Mountain or Lobster or maybe Steak.

Main Base
    The main home of the cats is a large hole in the hills of the prairie. Cats have dug dens into the side walls at different elevations and reinforced by clay and roots and sticks. Prey is often buried to avoid the risk of predators finding them through the scent of the food. There is a pathway up covered by rocks making a good place to announce meetings. It was believed this hole might of been some sort of lake and riverbed that has dried up. Up from the camp is a bunch of machinery and pipes and metals and other trash that over the years the cats have slowly gathered up and brought back to camp for their own enjoyment. The kittens love to play with the bottle caps and pipes make a good place to just sleep inside or on top.

Previous Kings/Queens
    Kings were often decided based on the first born son of the previous. If there were no sons then the first born daughter would take the role on and become a future queen instead. It was made sure to keep the first founder’s bloodline going on and still lasts to this day.

Jingles - a bicolored black and white cat. He was a very respectable yet playful king. Jingles loved his community despite it being small at first. Nevertheless he cared for all the cats and made sure they were all safe and well fed.

Bacon - a chocolate mackerel and white cat. Bacon was like his father. Active yet caring for his community. At this point the cat population has grown a bit but Bacon had his father around to help guide him on this journey.

Luna - a lilac mackerel with white. Luna was shy and reserved and often didn’t want to be seen. She was the only daughter of Bacon and as much as she didn’t want to be queen one day she had to. She quickly had kittens of her own in hopes she could retire fast enough. The job was just too stressful and demanding for a cat who would rather of done healing then lead.

Pidgeon - a blue mackerel with white. Pidgeon was the first son of Luna alongside his brother Cheese. Unfortunatly arguments broke out between the brothers and Pidgeon was exiled before he could ever truely lead. Cheese took over his place.

Cheese - a fawn mackerel with white. Cheese was snarky and harsh. He ordered his clowder a lot around making them work hard. As harsh as it was, the cats have never had so much food and safety from predators since they were founded by Jingles. Some grew to appreciate Cheese’s ways and made sure to work hard. A mindset that would last for a couple generations under its leaders.

Fire - red mackerel with white. Fire was very passionate about the cats, maybe a little too much. He was a flirty guy too and has a line of many kittens. The clowder grew the most during his time as leader as he was very good at convincing loners to join. Still the cats had lots of food to go around but all of this would come crashing down soon enough.

Coyote - black classic with white. Coyote was a dictator. He didn’t care much for the clan and often many cats starved due to how often Coyote was eating everything for himself. Coyote’s rule lasted for a few years with many cats leaving to join another group lead by Coyote’s sister Star. Eventually Star and her group of cats overthrew Coyote and killed him. They now would have to rebuild but at least he was gone now.

Star - black classic tortie. She reigned for years in her clowder. Slowly but surely the group rebuilt and grew stronger then before. Star was praised for her work in helping the cats and building back what used to be theirs. She was hailed a hero and a legend for the rest of the time. Star was very understanding and loves to crack jokes which helped with moral. The cats grew comfortable with her and regained their hopes things will be alright.

Prairie - black broken mackerel with white. Prairie was a very shy tom when he first began to rule but slowly grew out of his shell and became a very dependable and strong cat. He was reliable and stood up for himself and for his clowder. Prairie loved to play with kittens and was overjoyed when he had kittens himself with the love of his life.

Mud - the current leader. A seal sepia with white. Mud is very sturdy and demanding. He’s organized and loves to make sure things are getting done. Some cats are annoyed by the work but elders have stated there was once a time of great food and celebrations in which was a reward by hard work. Mud himself has heard about this time and wants his clowder to be just as great as they once were. He plans on his son Rabbit being the next leader.

The Law
Xxx

Ceremonies
When a kitten gets their name, a celebration is held as they’re now fully apart of the group. Whether the kitten gets a name from their mother or from the king and queen, it’s a very special moment. Kittens are not born with names and they either earn them or their mothers names them after something special. At their ceremony of beginning to start their training, a naming ceremony is held so everyone knows these kittens now have names and are now one of them. The kitten gets the first pick of the fresh kill pile, they are showed off to the clan, and they’ll demonstrate why the king and queen picked their future role for them.

The turn of a new leader is also a very big ceremony if it was earned. Cats celebrate for the whole day and night before in the morning it’s official with a touch of noses from the old to the new leader. If the old leader has paced, then a nose touch to their grave is made.

Another ceremony is when cats pass their training and are ready. For a hunter, it’s their first hunt that is celebrated as a full hunter where they mush go out and catch something all on their own. For a guard/scout, they will be sent away from 4 days to live on their own. This tests their survival and strengths and when they return, they will be deemed a full guard.[/list]
Last edited by canadianhowl on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:50 am, edited 10 times in total.
              ╔═══════════════╗

{ he/they - adult }
              Hi! My name is Zander!
              I've been drawing for years
              I mostly draw cats!
              Be nice to crabs!
              { stars - TH }

╚═══════════════╝
canadianhowl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vivika » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:12 pm

mark! <33
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby werepickle » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:43 am

Username: werepickle
Human Settlement: n/a
Cat Settlement:

- Main -
This colony is fully dominated by cats. Barely seeking our human interactions these cats scarely frequent any nearby human settlement. A hierarchy is in place but with their carefree and kind demeanor it's hard to figure out who's in charge. These cats survive on the smaller fauna and will go after medium sized fauna if necessary.

- Base -
Located in a dark, damp forest these cats have taken over an abandoned warren that was once inhabited by rabbits. With one entrance to the warren, the cats have gone to many lengths to ensure the entrance stays hidden as much as possible. The warren provides security, shelter and warmth during the harsh seasons.

- Outsiders -
Cats
These clan welcomes any and all outsiders but rarely show them their home until a level of trust has been earnt. Happy to trade and barter for items that can aid in their survival. They tend to avoid as much conflict if possible but will fiercely protect their home if need to be.
Humans
With little human interaction, these cats tend to watch and observe from afar. They aren't afraid of humans, but tend to keep their guard up around them. They'll actively seek out humans if they seek emergency care due to a wound or sickness.
Last edited by werepickle on Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
werepickle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Neon sparks » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:56 am

Username: Neon sparks
Human Settlement: New Bell

New Bell is set inside the concrete remains of Bell city.

settlement build -
New Bell is located inside the great library of Bell as well as inside of its subway passages. the heart of this town is in the library itself. the building is a massive 200,000 square feet in total between its three floors of the library and further 2 basement levels. majority of the old books that once called this place home have been removed and either placed in the basement archive room or lost altogether.

• the first floor has since become the market, many people come here to trade the goods they have and have since made a wide array of market stalls out of found materials. using bookshelves as walls is a common sight here. the central fountain is also a big attraction as it provides drinkable water to residents and travelers alike.
  • the second floor has become largely living space. people have built homes out of the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and created a functional town thanks to the efforts of the New Bellian people to restore this place.
  • the third floor is known as the garden sector, the library has an array of skylights which make this floor the ideal greenhouse. with some inventive effort, the people of new Bell have constructed irrigation and planters centered around the placement of the skylights. the continual effort to bring water to the third floor of this massive building has the added benefit of making the existing plumbing in the building functional and so people are able to use all of the original bathrooms.
  • the first basement level is a mixture of homes and markets as it connects to the citys subway with the librarys old station. though trains no longer move through these tunnels, they make the ideal fast travel for humans and animals alike. these tunnels have been lit through a crude system of torches and found objects, allowing anyone to get to any part of the old city they like while avoiding the dangers of the surface world.
  • the second basement level is the archives. this bunker was originally designed to protect the most precious books and artifacts the library held. it now serves as storage for many of the most coveted items that the new Bellians find in their expeditions. it also makes a great place of defense if the city were to ever be attacked due to the huge reinforced doors.

Culture, history and people -
The people of New Bell are made up of the majority just survivors who stayed behind on earth. not everyone was lucky enough to be able to afford a big fancy spaceship. as the city's infrastructure was abandoned things in the city stopped working and people were left with no idea where to go or how to live. These city dwellers were brought together by a handful of people, gathering everyone from their homes to join together and survive. at first, it was the best they could do to just be closer and scavenge. but as time went on the hardships they faced pushed them to become more inventive. surrounded by old-world technology these people took the materials of the old world and recycled them into useful everyday things.

new Bell is known best for its old-world trades. if there's something that cant be made by hand it's very likely that new yoria will have it for you. either by constructing new ones or by finding them in their scavenging trips. The most common item trades are things like batteries, old-world clothes, precious metal and stones, objects crafted from metals and glass. as well as trinkets that are scavenged from old homes such as toys and collectible nicknacks. they actually get a majority of their food and leather this way. trading things that cant be found in the open grassland plains for food and new materials to invent with.

The new Bellians are very proud people. even when items get tough they largely will refuse to leave their city. many of them believe in the idea of one day rebuilding the city back to the way it was when they were kids or when their parents were kids. this is one of the reasons collecting is such a big part of their culture. being an inventor is one of the best jobs you can get if you are good at it. from building solar pannels out of scraps or fixing up old robotics someone has dragged out of the city. this kind of thing is what yoria is best at.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cat Settlement:
The cats of Valeport station.
aka station 6

in the rural village of Valeport there sits the remains of its train station. once the busiest part of town, both transporting humans into the city for work as well as loading cars full of grain from the local farms. this train station now sits empty along with its two resident trains. though it's not quite as empty as it seems. the steel forest has become a haven for cats far and wide thanks to the grain silos on sight.

this station isn't the biggest in the world by far. it consists of the main station for traveling human passengers attached to track A. a large train engine still rests there waiting for the passengers that never came. its doors rest open to the elements allowing a small forest of ferns to take up residence inside of the once luxurious civilian cars. the fabric seats and wooden build have allowed these cars to decay quite a lot over the years. the only thing keeping this train together is the steel skeleton that lines its cars.

on track B there is a small repair station, it's a short switch trach to allow trains to stop for longer periods of time in order to load things for shipment. besides the repair shop also sits its two large grain silos. these silos were built of steel eons ago, their corn and wheat inside attracting vast amounts of prey such as mice and squirrels. over the years this grain leaked out and coated the surrounding area in wild strands of wheat plants. allowing for prey to remain to this day. there you can also still find a much much older train engine, a steam engine that is almost older than the station itself rests next to the repair building overtaken by ferns.

the camp - -

the camp is built around the old repair building. many of the cats take shelter inside and around the cabinets, machinery, and even inside of the pieces of the train itself. including the inside of the steam engine especially, as its black metal coating makes it the warmest spot in the camp. their nests are often made of pieces of cloth scavenged from the station as well as moss and fern from the surrounding area.

these cats often are considered more like rouges than any organized group of cats. they don't have a set naming system nor do they hunt as a group or consider each other ranked in any way. kittens are the responsibility of their parents and not the whole group. similarly, elders aren't always cared for as they should be either. they nest in groupings of family and friends and largely stick to these groups when it comes to hunting and care. the only real thing that makes them appear organized in any fashion is that they all listen to their set leader. the leader makes rules for the territory and upholds those rules with the help of his closest to him.

any cat may join this settlement, but they always need to agree to follow the leader's rules.
Last edited by Neon sparks on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
xXXXXXXXXXXzzzxxzXXxxxxxxUsed to be Lieutenant sparks

xx
xx

┌──────────────────────────────┐
xxxxxx| my toyhou.se | | my Deviantart | | Commissons are: Open |
└──────────────────────────────┘
┌──────────────────────────────┐

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
└──────────────────────────────┘

xx
ImageImage
Neon sparks