Updates to the pound!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Updates to the pound!

Postby Juliamon » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

HanzoShimada wrote:Can someone tell me why the pound just opened and when I was only about a minute late there were only 23 pets available? There used to be hundreds to choose from. Now my choice of WL pets is Extremely limited. This isn’t a fix to the pound, imo. If anything this seems to cater MORE towards the “first come, first serve” bc if you miss the pound, you miss it entirely with no chance to adopt?

If you reread the first post on the thread it seems this update is only intended to affect the first minute, so if you're a minute late, you're still out of luck.
she/they, adult
Juliamon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HanzoShimada » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

Juliamon wrote:
HanzoShimada wrote:Can someone tell me why the pound just opened and when I was only about a minute late there were only 23 pets available? There used to be hundreds to choose from. Now my choice of WL pets is Extremely limited. This isn’t a fix to the pound, imo. If anything this seems to cater MORE towards the “first come, first serve” bc if you miss the pound, you miss it entirely with no chance to adopt?

If you reread the first post on the thread it seems this update is only intended to affect the first minute, so if you're a minute late, you're still out of luck.

Okay, if that was true the pound would be open for longer than 2 minutes? I'm pretty sure they meant it affects the first minute in that you do not have to be there the second the pound opens to get a chance of a rare pet. That doesn't negate the fact that I was AT MOST a minute late and the pound contained ONLY 23 pets. Before the update I could be late and still be able to choose between 200+ pets
I'm a Ox!

Oxen are smart, calm, patient, inspiring, modest, dependable, hard-working, born leader
Sometimes they can be stubborn, narrow-minded, demanding, rigid.
HanzoShimada

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby daybreak. » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

HanzoShimada wrote:Okay, if that was true the pound would be open for longer than 2 minutes? I'm pretty sure they meant it affects the first minute in that you do not have to be there the second the pound opens to get a chance of a rare pet. That doesn't negate the fact that I was AT MOST a minute late and the pound contained ONLY 23 pets. Before the update I could be late and still be able to choose between 200+ pets

I believe the number of pets released with each opening is on par with what used to be released before the update, so I think there is simply more traffic at the moment due to the combined factors of the Easter event and pound update. More people have been on the lookout for the pound opening c:
daybreak.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Puptimistic » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

I’m seeing similar issues to other people posting recently. I just got to the pound right as it opened but the lag was so bad by the time I refreshed the pet selection ONCE it was down to only 200 pets, and all the ones I saw were from the last year or so (meaning mostly, I already have them, and they aren’t as uncommon as something from a few years back). I used to be able to refresh a couple times right at opening and see a better variety.

Edit : I also wanted to mention I’ve tried this new pound system multiple times, and one time I was 2 mins late and it was already closed.

Help me get my irl boy!

Growing my fennec fox army! Also always looking for foxes and rats in general!

They/them, zoologist, adult
Puptimistic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby XxFlamepoolxX » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

I have yet to catch the pound open at all since the first day of the update. Before I could be an entire 20 minutes late and there would at least be something in there. It’s too bad cuz I can’t always be on when the pound opens. Hoping for either an increase in pets offered or more of a wait for a screen refresh (30sec - 1min). There’s just too much player traffic during opening.
Image Image

GRAB BAGS & RARES FOR C$

Selling TH characters HERE
XxFlamepoolxX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Because everybody's online for the event there's many more people adopting from the pound, so it's been running slower and emptying quicker than normal. This happens with every site event, and the new gradual release system hasn't changed that. I've now bumped the size of the pound up from 1300 to 2000 for the duration of the event so it'll take a little longer to empty out.

Today I discovered a bottleneck that was makng the adoption process much slower than it needed to be, and that was slowing the whole pound down as a cascade effect. That fix is in now, so we'll see how much difference it makes in the next opening.

If it's still running slow I'm going to add a new system in there for managing the pound release which would aim for serving 10,000 requests per second, which would be enough for instant responsiveness.
Nick
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AncientEldritch » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Nick wrote:Because everybody's online for the event there's many more people adopting from the pound, so it's been running slower and emptying quicker than normal. This happens with every site event, and the new gradual release system hasn't changed that. I've now bumped the size of the pound up from 1300 to 2000 for the duration of the event so it'll take a little longer to empty out.

Today I discovered a bottleneck that was makng the adoption process much slower than it needed to be, and that was slowing the whole pound down as a cascade effect. That fix is in now, so we'll see how much difference it makes in the next opening.

If it's still running slow I'm going to add a new system in there for managing the pound release which would aim for serving 10,000 requests per second, which would be enough for instant responsiveness.

This is incredible to hear! Thank you so much for looking into it and boosting the pets during the event! I have no doubt that it'll make a difference. As always, you rock!

AncientEldritch on Toyhou.se and Deviantart!

I love sending gifts and live for Halloween and Holibombs, though I use any holiday as an excuse to send random gifts.

Come hang out in the Chicken Smoothie Discord Server~
AncientEldritch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby All Might » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

This is amazing news, thank you!

┍━━━━━━━┑
    'it's you'
    If only I could stay
    delicate as the new day ;
    adult / she / artist
    seeking blue sorb
    credit

┕━━━━━━━┙

Image Image

All Might

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iHolli » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

{ that's awesome news, thanks for the update Nick! I hope to be online to catch the next opening and see how much difference the fixes will make c: ♡
iHolli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pallastronomy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Nick wrote:Because everybody's online for the event there's many more people adopting from the pound, so it's been running slower and emptying quicker than normal. This happens with every site event, and the new gradual release system hasn't changed that. I've now bumped the size of the pound up from 1300 to 2000 for the duration of the event so it'll take a little longer to empty out.

Thank you for the update! I appreciate the added transparency
My TFO LabMy Magistream ScrollMy Protochroma Profile

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageMeowdy!ImageImage
ImageImageYou can call me Azure, Celeste, Elijah, or Koshka, and I’m an artist, animator, writer, and government certified moron. Feel free to drop in and say hi! I don't bite!ImageImage

Signature decor by Martith, Crasty-For-Life, King-Lulu-Deer, mairu-doggy, stardust-palace, RenIrako, Drawn-Mario, and peachkonpeito on DeviantArt! Go check em' out!
Pallastronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me