Updates to the pound!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Updates to the pound!

Postby bark » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

Thanks for addressing it! Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it improved on my end. It takes 10+ seconds when you click a pet and it either gives an error or that "its been adopted by someone else" message
bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyromaniacal » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

Hmm. This Pound opening I was getting some strange errors - not "this pet was already adopted" but "there was a problem adopting this pet," and another one that forwarded me to an unstyled webpage referencing a "deadlock" error, neither of which are errors I've ever encountered at the Pound before.
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/HIM ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    MEDIA: Hollow Knight - Sonicxxiiii
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pallastronomy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

Got there in time for the opening this time around, definitely some improvement but the lag was still pretty bad
I’m really hoping it’s just the event and excitement for the update that will die off soon because I haven’t gotten a good pound catch in ages at this point

I’m finding the highest amount of lag for me is concentrated around the loading of the ‘Sorry, this pet has already been adopted by someone else’ message and the subsequent redirect to the pound, if that’s any help
Last edited by Pallastronomy on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My TFO LabMy Magistream ScrollMy Protochroma Profile

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageMeowdy!ImageImage
ImageImageYou can call me Azure, Celeste, Elijah, or Koshka, and I’m an artist, animator, writer, and government certified moron. Feel free to drop in and say hi! I don't bite!ImageImage

Signature decor by Martith, Crasty-For-Life, King-Lulu-Deer, mairu-doggy, stardust-palace, RenIrako, Drawn-Mario, and peachkonpeito on DeviantArt! Go check em' out!
Pallastronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iHolli » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 pm

{ so the lag leading up to the opening was gone, but on the refresh to open it took quite a while to load the page again. I wasn't able to adopt from the page, instead being redirected to a blank page with "Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction." I went back, got a new page that took some time to load, and found a pet to pick, which took me to a different error ["there was a problem adopting this pet" or something like that] but I went back, clicked again, and got the pet. the lag is improved but there's definitely still errors! ♡
iHolli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby not zinnia » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 pm

I am still experiencing a huge lag! It takes at least 10 seconds to load the Pound when it opens. It takes about 4-5 seconds to load the next set of pets. And yeah, I'm also seeing the deadlock error on the white page & the 'there was a problem adopting this pet' error.
“Love does not make me gentle or kind.” —Anne Carson, Autobiography of Red

Art ShopTH
not zinnia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SupernaturalJem » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm

Nick wrote:Because everybody's online for the event there's many more people adopting from the pound, so it's been running slower and emptying quicker than normal. This happens with every site event, and the new gradual release system hasn't changed that. I've now bumped the size of the pound up from 1300 to 2000 for the duration of the event so it'll take a little longer to empty out.

Today I discovered a bottleneck that was makng the adoption process much slower than it needed to be, and that was slowing the whole pound down as a cascade effect. That fix is in now, so we'll see how much difference it makes in the next opening.

If it's still running slow I'm going to add a new system in there for managing the pound release which would aim for serving 10,000 requests per second, which would be enough for instant responsiveness.

Thank you, Nick. I actually found the pound open just now and got a march pet I was missing.
My clickable adopts All on my LJ rather than putting all in my sig.

Please do NOT send trades for my event tokens. I rarely trade tokens before I get all of the event items/pets that I want. When my tokens are for trade, I will put that in my trade posts on the trade threads. Thank you.
SupernaturalJem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wintersham » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:33 am

Was finally able to snag things from the pound! The wide spread of pets is definitely more noticeable now. I refreshed a good 4-5 times with about ~740 pets left and got me a 2014 VU FF. I also wasn’t getting flooded pages with pets that been adopted upon refreshing/cycling the page.The Pound definitely runs more smoothly now since the recent update was implemented. I know it’s a slower time for this site right now as I’m writing this, but even passively checking during peak hours it seems a little better. The whole site doesn’t chug as much when pound is about to/now open.

I still need to try to use it more often to fully get a final review as a whole, but for now at least, I really like it. It’s not as bad during roll-over hours anymore and it’s not full of “already adopted” flooding like it was previously during *any* hour. I can’t emphasize enough how grateful I am for this new cycling system too of what pets to show. Each refresh regardless of how many pets left feels close to like the old days of opening Pound rush. Thank you guys for the work :3
Hello!!

I'm always down for swaps - trades - rare trades!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wintersham

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jprspereira » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:31 am

Nick wrote:Because everybody's online for the event there's many more people adopting from the pound, so it's been running slower and emptying quicker than normal. This happens with every site event, and the new gradual release system hasn't changed that. I've now bumped the size of the pound up from 1300 to 2000 for the duration of the event so it'll take a little longer to empty out.

Today I discovered a bottleneck that was makng the adoption process much slower than it needed to be, and that was slowing the whole pound down as a cascade effect. That fix is in now, so we'll see how much difference it makes in the next opening.

If it's still running slow I'm going to add a new system in there for managing the pound release which would aim for serving 10,000 requests per second, which would be enough for instant responsiveness.

The Pound and the website in general still feels extremely laggy. Today with 1.5k people online, the pound was still taking a few seconds to load during opening. My connection was fine. In the last few days, the website has also been a bit laggy when peaking in online members, it really makes playing/trading very uncomfortable.

On the other hand, increasing the total amount of pets available in a Pound was a good decision in my opinion. Now, pound feels less of a race to be there in the first second. People that are late 5 minutes can still manage to grab something, so thank you for that.
jprspereira

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FreddyCenobite » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 am

I think my main comment would be the whole site being a bit laggy at times. I know the event isn't helping, and getting two extra days to token hunt is also not helping (the site), so I hope once the event ends, the lag will ease up. Like, even when the pound isn't open or opening, it still lags. The lost and found doesn't affect it either, it just lags for no apparently reason? I haven't watched how many users are on when the lag is happening though.

I can't say much about the new system though. I usually forget to even focus on pound openings. I caught a couple cool catches but overall the first five minutes are usually uneventful for me. The lag takes about a minute or two of that away and in general the best I see is 2014s and younger. Occasionally older pets but few and far between. But I'm not complaining about that because my WL is nonexistent for pound finds. I usually look for silly hoards or monthlies.

I'm confident I'm in a minority with this, but if anything, can we have some more monthlies added? I know with one very recent opening, there was what, 3 monthlies? 1? They weren't even from March but from Saint Patrick's Day. Unless I just can't seem to catch these either?
Basic info:
Pet of the moment:

Disabled adult She/Her Dog mom Ex-retiree
Movie geek Horror fan Halloween lover
My hoards Trade thread Offsite thread
My FRHow close I am to a full CS set
RIP my little butthead ♥️
CS TikoMy Tiko

If I haven’t responded to offer(s), it means I’m thinking
Last half of my user: Sen-uh-bite (send without the “d”)
Prefer no random PMs unless it's about offers
FreddyCenobite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bark » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:08 pm

Clicked a pet, got the "there was an error adopting this pet, try again"
It was still there, and I received the same message again before being booted back to the pound page being taken. It's a little frustrating that adopting a pet from the pound is impossible with all these errors :,)
bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me