❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Zeena » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
Zeena wrote:~snip~
Hoping to push through and actually finish the story before the end of the year. I have an idea for the ending but the problem is now trying to execute it in a way that's done nicely and doesn't sound rushed or random, among getting rid of this writer's block.
Did you end up managing to finish it? XD

Surprisingly I did! Officially finished the writing stage last year, onto the editing/revising part!
Only issue is it's difficult finding spare time nowadays between school, exams, etc. so I'm kind of all over the place. I did get the majority of editing done but there's one part I feel I may need to rewrite to make more sense within the story...so now it's trying to find time to do that as well. Usually around now I'd get a nice 3 week break from school, but unfortunately due to everything going on, that break is now a few days at most and all that time will most likely be dedicated to finishing up year-long assignments.
I'm determined to find time eventually though!

.....Need help?About Me
Zeena
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
popping in for the first time since August and I'm legit tempted to reply to everything for old time's sake

Missed you Ranger

I've finally started on a draft for one of my oldest stories and there are so many plot holes but it feels nice to have a project to work on

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:19 am

@Ranger
You too!! Oh man, it's still going. Slowly, but it's going. I just wrapped up chapter 57, and I'm at the climax, actually! I'd say I have less than a dozen chapters left to go, I just gotta figure out how to end it.

@Song of the Stars
Ooh exciting! I feel you on the plot holes, tho. I'm gonna have so much revising to do aaa
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loxo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm

I haven't been on Chicken Smoothie in a while. I'm glad I found this thread again! Glad to know I'm not the only lazy writer out there!

Yesterday, I just found an old manuscript that I'd worked on ages ago. I'd completely forgotten about it. Now, I'm going through it to see if I want to start working on it again. I love the plot and characters, but my writing style from four years ago is very cringey! I've been mainly fixing spelling errors and switching around my sentence structure, so it's slow going. I'm only on chapter 6, I think.
Hi, I’m Loxo, formerly Bageera. I love cats, rabbits, and writing.

I am an author and love to write. I prefer xenofiction (books from an animal or non-human perspective) and fantasy!

I work at an aquarium, so if I mention doing odd things (holding tarantulas, getting attacked by feral chickens, helping kids to feed sharks, cleaning up tortoise turds, chasing escaped ducks, etc.) then they probably happened at my job!

The book I’m reading today: The Return of the King (Book 3 in the Lord of the Rings trilogy)
Animal of the day: Jumping mouse
Extinct creature of the day: Quetzalcoatlus
My favorite colors: Emerald green and electric blue

I currently hoard rabbits of all kinds, spiders, tabby cats, and calico cats.
Feel free to PM or trade with me. I love to interact with other CS users!
Loxo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NekomaruNidais » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm

hey fellow lazy writers! call me neko, nekomaru, nidai, whatever is fine. i write like a fiend usually but things've been hard recently so writing hasn't come as easily.
my thread links
arctofelis
jackhunds
dracofelis
hi, call me neko/nekomaru/whatever!
he/him, transgender male, gay
NekomaruNidais

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loxo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 pm

(I apologize for the length; if you don't want to read this, you don't have to.)

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this. Every time I ask family or friends, I feel like they're nice just to placate me. They don't tell me their true opinions, they just tell me to follow my dreams and that my writing is good.
So, I've been writing a story for a while that I call Arachnid Assault: Bite of the Spiborgs. I love books that have prophecies in them, especially if they are fulfilled in unexpected ways. So, for Arachnid Assault, I decided to write two conflicting prophecies: one told for the villain and the other for the protagonist. I have plans to fulfill both in a twist ending.

Anyways, here's a synopsis and the two prophecies. If I could have some opinions/constructive criticism on them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Synopsis:
It all started as a game...
Jacob and Mark are normal teenagers ready to enjoy their summer, but all their plans fall apart when they play a new computer game called Arachnid Assault. In the game, brave rodents fight off armies of spiders and scorpions. Soon after he starts playing, Jacob gets mysteriously transported inside the game, where he quickly discovers everything is much harder to do as a four-inch tall mouse.
Loxo is a timid brown recluse. He's second-in-command of the entire arachnid army, but power is the last thing he wants. Loxo's only wish is for a peaceful outcome in the fight between rodents and arachnids. When Sicarius, ruler of the army, creates terrifying monsters known as Spiborgs, Loxo wants to warn the mice about the evil spider's plans. But how can he help the good side when they see him as an enemy?
Meanwhile, a Lucky cricket named Chirp is captured by spiders and sentenced to die. As he escapes, Chirp overhears a prophecy given to Sicarius, the evil six-eyed sand spider. The terrible prediction of the future could threaten the lives of all the creatures of the Maps. Chirp wants to do something to help, but what can one little cricket do to stop the might of the desert king?
The destinies of Jacob, Mark, Loxo, and Chirp become inexorably intertwined as they all fight for the same thing: Peace, and the end of Scarius's reign. Will the four be able to overcome the differences of their species and work together? Or will the scheming arachnids win and invade the Real World?

Prophecy one (delivered to Sicarius, ruler of the spiders):
When the Player walks the Maps again,
Eyes green as blazing fire,
Beware his friends and companions,
For your situation is dire.

The armies of four Maps he'll have,
But the allies of just three,
Birdeater, wanderer, net-caster, and camel
Shall stand and fight with thee.

If orders are carried out by all
Exactly as you command,
The Lord of the desert you shall remain,
Forever king of the sands.

But if dissension thrives,
One malefactor bold
Will bring about destruction,
Death he'll reap untold.

When the Player lies helpless at your feet
And gives his final breath,
Gateway to the Real World
Shall be opened with his death.

Prophecy two(delivered to the mice):
When the Player walks the Maps again,
Another by his side,
To the spiders he will go,
The winds of fate he'll ride.

Faithful cricket and grasshopper mouse,
Deer and dormouse too,
All join as companions,
Friends loyal and true.

Seek the help of tree-dwellers,
Allies will aid you too.
Climb the mountains, fierce and cold,
Till path to battle is in view.

A traitor in the army
Will help to save the day,
Face his fears and stop the war,
Only two he shall slay.

The Player fights to free the Maps,
And to defeat Six-Eyes.
Peace he'll bring to rodents all
When the Lord of the desert dies.

P.S. In case anyone was wondering, I changed by username in honor of the character in my story. He's perhaps my favorite character that I've ever created. Loxo is the one kind, sympathetic creature in an army of vicious, eight-legged killers. He has clear morals of good and evil and doesn't understand why the other arachnids are ruthless. He has a rather violent backstory and is fighting PTSD and flashbacks throughout the whole story. Also, Loxo feels guilty that he has to kill to eat, and he only eats mosquitos so that he can make the world a better place.

Again, I apologize for length. I would love some opinions, though.

I am an author and love to write. I prefer xenofiction (books from an animal or non-human perspective) and fantasy!

I work at an aquarium, so if I mention doing odd things (holding tarantulas, getting attacked by feral chickens, helping kids to feed sharks, cleaning up tortoise turds, chasing escaped ducks, etc.) then they probably happened at my job!

The book I’m reading today: The Return of the King (Book 3 in the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

Loxo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Zeena wrote:Surprisingly I did! Officially finished the writing stage last year, onto the editing/revising part!
Only issue is it's difficult finding spare time nowadays between school, exams, etc. so I'm kind of all over the place. I did get the majority of editing done but there's one part I feel I may need to rewrite to make more sense within the story...so now it's trying to find time to do that as well. Usually around now I'd get a nice 3 week break from school, but unfortunately due to everything going on, that break is now a few days at most and all that time will most likely be dedicated to finishing up year-long assignments.
I'm determined to find time eventually though!
Oh well done, that's great! How many words is it? Good luck on finding the time to edit, o o f x'D

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Missed you Ranger

I've finally started on a draft for one of my oldest stories and there are so many plot holes but it feels nice to have a project to work on
I've missed you toooo, it's actually really nice to be back <3

Le gasp. Is that the one with Townly and Wes? Either way, exciting!

Silver Pandorica wrote:@Ranger
You too!! Oh man, it's still going. Slowly, but it's going. I just wrapped up chapter 57, and I'm at the climax, actually! I'd say I have less than a dozen chapters left to go, I just gotta figure out how to end it.
aaa that's exciting too! How long have you been working on it now? Must be at least a few years!

Loxo wrote:I haven't been on Chicken Smoothie in a while. I'm glad I found this thread again! Glad to know I'm not the only lazy writer out there!

Yesterday, I just found an old manuscript that I'd worked on ages ago. I'd completely forgotten about it. Now, I'm going through it to see if I want to start working on it again. I love the plot and characters, but my writing style from four years ago is very cringey! I've been mainly fixing spelling errors and switching around my sentence structure, so it's slow going. I'm only on chapter 6, I think.
Hello-hello, welcome back! Reading through old stories again is always the worst, haha. What's it about, is that the one you posted the synopsis+prophecies of?
Loxo sounds like a total bean, and I love him already. I'm not very good at writing synopses, so I won't touch that (although I did read it), but I have to say with the poems that I love the way you rhyme; they're strong and I Like It. There were a few spots where the rhythm seemed to slip slightly though, so I would suggest maybe reading them aloud could help you polish those bits?

NekomaruNidais wrote:hey fellow lazy writers! call me neko, nekomaru, nidai, whatever is fine. i write like a fiend usually but things've been hard recently so writing hasn't come as easily.
Welcome along! Beware of carrots :p Being in a slump is totally understandable, the world is just a tad out of control at the moment, isn't it? c': *pats*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NekomaruNidais » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 pm

@Ranger yeah it really is, but that's got less to do with why i'm in a slump lol
my thread links
arctofelis
jackhunds
dracofelis
hi, call me neko/nekomaru/whatever!
he/him, transgender male, gay
NekomaruNidais

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Slumps for other reasons are also valid XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loxo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:33 am

*Cut for length
Loxo wrote:I haven't been on Chicken Smoothie in a while. I'm glad I found this thread again! Glad to know I'm not the only lazy writer out there!

Hello-hello, welcome back! Reading through old stories again is always the worst, haha. What's it about, is that the one you posted the synopsis+prophecies of?
Loxo sounds like a total bean, and I love him already. I'm not very good at writing synopses, so I won't touch that (although I did read it), but I have to say with the poems that I love the way you rhyme; they're strong and I Like It. There were a few spots where the rhythm seemed to slip slightly though, so I would suggest maybe reading them aloud could help you polish those bits?

*Cut for length

It was actually a different story I found the other day that's about mythical creatures and wizards. It's about a girl that moves to the mountains of California because her dad is an ornithologist whose life goal is to study the Californian condor in the wild. Her new neighbors seem odd and own a lot of exotic animals, like a leopard, a raccoon dog, and a flamingo. She quickly discovers that the neighbors are actually wizards, and that their pets are mythical creatures. They teach her about magic and their pets, then she chooses a mythical creature of her own and joins them as a wizard.

I'm nearly done with Arachnid Assault, I'm just in the editing stage. There are a few parts that I can't seem to get right. Thank you for the opinions on the poems, Ranger. I prefer exact or nearly exact rhymes, and I think I know what you mean about the rhythm being a bit off sometimes. They're a bit of a work in progress, so honest opinions are appreciated. It was a bit difficult to make them the same length, but I'm glad that I managed it. I love the conflicting final stanzas, so I'm probably not touching those. I may work on some of the other bits, though.

Loxo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me