❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby winged-backpack » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:41 am

Do you enjoy drawing some of your characters, while writing?
I've never really done it, but I can see why it would be good for describing them. Its kind of difficult when it comes to Femie, because she is going to look very different by the end of the book from all of the things she goes through. I guess it would be interesting to draw a before and after, though there would be spoilers in the after drawing given that it gives away some of the doors ^^'

What helps you concentrate when you're writing?
Literally nothing, I just have to force myself to focus or already be in the right mood. It also depends on what I'm writing. For example, when I write poetry I tend to be in the right mood and I don't have to concentrate much. Then with 10,000 Doors, I sometimes have to force myself to get on with it because I like to try and update it at least once a week (ish), and it normally involves me staring at the page until I actually get inspired. I mean, the last chapter I wrote was very much forced, but the thing that happens after she leaves the room (no spoilers) was just a sudden idea that just worked.

Story time!
So today, a creative writing person came to our school and did an "invite only" session for people in the higher years who do English. For context, my English Literature class is 3 people, and the other class (language and literature) is 6 people. Everyone got invited to it except me and Luke, who are the only people of the two classes as far as I'm aware who actually write of our own accord. You might say that because we just do Lit (we study books, whereas the LitLang class do some creative writing) we weren't invited, except the third person from our class did get invited. They don't know we do writing outside of school so I don't understand why we weren't invited???
Sorry, I just wanted to have a little rant about that because it annoys me quite a lot ^^'
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:52 am

@Ranger- Ooh, that poisoned thing is so cool. My mind had a trickle of inspiration for a few seconds after seeing that XD It kinda makes me want to pick up “Classified” again.

@Winged- Welcome back!

Do you have a distinctive “voice” as a writer?
I dunno. You tell me. I really hope so. The way I see it, I have a sort of sarcastic, humorous style. If everything was dead serious and action-oriented, it wouldn’t be any fun to write! And I feel like no one would want to read it, either. Gotta love that dry humor, too.

what genre of music do you listen to when writing?
Um...I don’t really listen to any specific genre. Actually, music usually distracts me when I’m writing. It’s good for brainstorming, but not always actual writing. Although, The Piano Guys really help get stuff flowing sometimes. And Owl City. It just depends on my mood tbh.

do you prefer to create alternative universes or stick with a canonverse if and/or when writing fanfiction?
I don’t write a lot of fanfiction, but I would definitely stick with the canonverse. I don’t really wanna mess with the original author’s ideas and characters too much, ya know? It feels like I’m invading their privacy XD

what is your favourite thing to describe in depth when writing?
Descriptions are literally the death of me. One of my biggest struggles. But I really like describing sounds and the weather for some reason. I don’t know why.

is there much internal monologue and/or character development in your writing, or do you prefer to develop the plot rather than the characters?
My book is very character-oriented. It would be nothing without the characters, because it revolves around them. I...want to say there is a lot of internal monologue? But honestly? There isn’t as much as there should be, and I plan to fix that when I go to write the second draft.

Do you think that revealing a character's history counts as character development, or would you call it something else?
Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. That’s why I think (and I struggle with this, okay?) that a character’s history should be revealed slowly and in pieces. It keeps the readers interested and helps develop the character and their reasons for doing what they do. My problem is that I usually release it much too fast ^^’

Do you enjoy drawing some of your characters, while writing?
NO. NONONONONONONO. I’ve only done that once successfully. I no longer attempt to draw humans because I SUCK.
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Character dialogue or details about the surroundings?
Oh dear, both, both are very important, and details can be revealed through dialogue
What is the most important part of developing a world?
The different countries
Do you take any inspiration from any specific writers/media?
Um, does Pinterest count? I use it to look up images and prompts
What's your favorite part about writing?
The characters

Do you carefully plan out your story or make it up as it goes along?[
Umm, I do a bit of both, make it up, then plan it out on what I made up
What is your favorite way to get ideas for writing?
Dreams, I guess.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby danheng » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:29 pm

details ftw- not to say the other is any less important <3

culture! language, economics, government... it's all so important. my favorite thing about culture of a new world is how people interact with one another. social cues, rules, customs.. I guess my love for foreign language plays a part <3

ray bradbury and h.g. wells, mainly <3

the simple joy I get from feeling pride from my writing c:

Do you carefully plan out your story or make it up as it goes along?
I have a bad habit of making it up but planning it out is much better!

dreams, shower thoughts, and lots of spare time
danheng

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby byte » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:39 pm

*These answers are just me rambling about god knows what.*

Yes, I take inspiration from some of my all-time favorite writers- Edgar Allan Poe and Lang Leav. Both fantastic writers who include some darker themes withing their stories.

The imagination and Uniqueness that can be represented within a piece of writing.

Do you carefully plan out your story or make it up as it goes along?[
When I am writing my first draft of a story, I just turn on some classical music and type away furiously at the keyboard, (which is a great idea when you are blocking out your story. It gets all of your thoughts and ideas onto the paper so that you can see what you want to keep or completely cut from the story.) However, when I am composing my final draft and readying it for submission, I edit the story MANY times, making sure that the story appropriately represents my original ideas. So yes, I both plan out my story and imagine it as I please.

I love to visit my school's library, it has this really awesome balcony that I sit and gaze upon the city below. It's a very calming and beautiful place that really gets my creativity going. I do think that both people-watching and observing the general life of the city help me come up with ideas for my stories. If you have a writing block/creativity block, I do recommend for you to change your surroundings, its proven to be really effective with me and hopefully it works for you. :)
Harlow | they/them
- artist + writer
byte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 pm

What helps you concentrate when you're writing?
Sound. I don't say noise, because in my mind there's a difference XP Also sometimes just having my earbuds in helps, lol

Woogwoo Wren wrote:what genre of music do you listen to when writing?
Um... my spotify playlist? Owl City? I made a playlist for the book I'm writing (it's like nine songs long so far) and I've been listening to the radio spotify made for that lately.
You did, what's on it? o,o

winged-backpack wrote:Story time!
So today, a creative writing person came to our school and did an "invite only" session for people in the higher years who do English. For context, my English Literature class is 3 people, and the other class (language and literature) is 6 people. Everyone got invited to it except me and Luke, who are the only people of the two classes as far as I'm aware who actually write of our own accord. You might say that because we just do Lit (we study books, whereas the LitLang class do some creative writing) we weren't invited, except the third person from our class did get invited. They don't know we do writing outside of school so I don't understand why we weren't invited???
Sorry, I just wanted to have a little rant about that because it annoys me quite a lot ^^'
Weird! Yeah, I can see how that would be irritating :I

Silver Pandorica wrote:@Ranger- Ooh, that poisoned thing is so cool. My mind had a trickle of inspiration for a few seconds after seeing that XD It kinda makes me want to pick up “Classified” again.
Ikr! Ooh, yeeey! Just don't forget Kayel and Villae now, will you? *waggles finger*

Both are important in their own rights c:

Enjoying it!

People whose worlds I wish I could be in. I want to give that feeling to others. I hope that one day readers will feel a pang every time they think about the fact that they will never meet my character c;

Ooh.... The amount of imagination and creativity involved, I think c:

Something in between XD

......dreaming, I guess? They're always nuts XD

guys look, I made a signature I'm 100% happy with — how is this possible?! <3 o:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:
Woogwoo Wren wrote:what genre of music do you listen to when writing?
Um... my spotify playlist? Owl City? I made a playlist for the book I'm writing (it's like nine songs long so far) and I've been listening to the radio spotify made for that lately.
You did, what's on it? o,o

Umm...
I'll Find You. (Lecrae)
Truce. (TOP)
This Isn't the End (Owl City)
Souvenirs (Switchfoot)
I Am Not Nothing (Beth Crowley)
Gone (Beth Crowley)
Fight Song (Rachel Platten)
Mad World (Gary Jules)

Guess who each song suits. ^-^

I am much better at dialogue I think. I actually think dialogue is one of the things I am best at in my writing.

Hmm... I am currently in the process of doing this and I think the genre/technology. A world that's fantasy and runs with magic will be very different to a world in space that runs on electricity. But yeah... I don't know. XD

Christopher Paolini. He is my biggest inspiration I would say. Honestly, I think it was him and the Inheritance Cycle that got me into writing. (Also Ranger encouraged me greatly)

That moment when you're so into the story you forget where you are and the music fades into the background and it's just you, the keyboard and the characters you're with. When you forget you're actually creating this world and you start living it. When it takes a life of it's own and you feel like you're just a bridge to let this story out.

But of both really. I usually do a rough outline and then just wing it. It usually ends up very different to what I had planned!

Hmm... music, reading, watching movies, thinking - thinking is a great way for ideas!
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cherubim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:40 pm

yesss more questions!!

I prefer to focus on the details of the surroundings: I love dialogue but I also like to leave a lot unsaid, creating a scene where a lot is implied yet not outwardly said. I frankly enjoy that a lot more than dialogue.

For me, it's the lore and looks of it. Mainly the description of the place and what/how it came about.

yes! there's a magazine here called "frankie" and it always inspires me to write whenever I read it. it's very artsy and "alternative" and the writers are real characters. I'd reccomend it to anyone.

oh, that's tough. I love describing the environment and setting but I also love writing interactions between characters? for md, I like to focus on what happens between character's dialogue, especially facial and bodily reactions; I find it explains so much more.

haha, me? plan? that's never happened. I plan little bits of it but I never truly follow a set plan. I like to go with the flow, but also have a set idea of where I want to go with it.

looking at aesthetic imagery/movie scenes, music (that's a big inspiration for me), 1am/2am thoughts between friends.
cherubim

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 am

aaaa so many questions! I swear I leave this thread for one second and suddenly - bam. More questions. (I'm complaining, I love it really :lol:)

Details, details, details! I honestly hate writing speech, it's something that I'd rather not have to do. I'm a big believer in what Edgar Allan Poe and Lovecraft do and do "report" speech, where the first-person narrator tells you about the conversation without using speech. It's hard to explain. You can kinda tell I don't like speech given that I only have one character actually interacting in the present in 10,000 Doors.

Probably giving it a unique "look". For example, if I say "Harry Potter", and then say "Sherlock", you can see two very significantly different worlds, despite both of them being set in real-world UK. Giving your world it's own theme, mood and aesthetics is most important to me.

Edgar Allan Poe is my main influence, as well as the rest of the Romantic movement in literature. It's my favourite style of writing, and my style tends to be a more modernised version of it. I'm also very influenced by horror as a genre, in books and films (not TV so much). It's just been a pretty big part of my life because my mum really likes horror films, and we kind of bonded over watching them when I was younger (she was very liberal letting me watch horror films when I was fairly young). In fact, on my last birthday we watched the Exorcist together, which I hadn't seen before.

What's your favourite part about writing?
I love the moments when the penny drops on a brilliant idea and the following speed typing to get the idea written out before it goes away again. It's just one of the most rewarding moments when you have that catharsis knowing that you had a good idea, and it's written out. Nothing is worse than having a brilliant idea and not being able to get it down because it's not relevant t the chronology of the story yet.

It varies. With 10,000 Doors, I have a small (literally one-word) description of what's behind each door in a very long list on a separate word document, but then I make up the extra things that happen as I see fit. For example, door 12's description was "porcelain dolls", the rest of the chapter was just improve. I do more research than planning when it comes to writing.

What is your favourite way to get ideas for writing?
See my answer for my favourite part about writing in general ^^

Dev out
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 am

I always describe the surrounding in probably too much detail and then it come to dialogue and I'm like... what now? Ohhh that, lets just rush it it'll be fine. *Reads it back later on* Oh deer lord, burn it! Burn it!

I have to agree with the points of lore and atmosphere but I think it changes genre to genre. I think Lore is more important in a fantasy book than in a more realistic based book, and atmosphere of the universe, or the part of it which you see is more important in a horror than in a romance book. The demographics what different things so it depends. Personally I wish every book had an in depth map/ description of the world it is set in and I think representation to create atmosphere is an important part of it. Also making every element unique even with something as simple as a pencil, it can be made into so much more and even tell something more about the world in which the writing is set.

Shane Koyczan is very likely my favourite poet, I take inspiration from many different people, I really love David Mitchell and take inspiration from his book 'The Cloud Atlas'. So Great to see so many Edgar Allen Poe fans on here! (:

What's your favourite part about writing?
    Seeing ti all come together as well as seeing peoples reactions to it. There was one time when I was reading a pretty emotional poem and someone began to cry and I went to talk and apologise to her and even though I felt bad it was nice to know that I had such an impact on someone. I also love to make my plans into a good piece. I like when I am on a roll and everything just goes so smoothly but then again, struggling on the right words and making a break through and punching writers block in the metaphorical face!

Bit of both. I tend to let it take me wherever but I'll plan random scenes and all. I sometimes have a sort of framework of what I want and other times its a complete accident. A lot of the time I end up changing it and starting over due to not planning though so I do try my best to as a time effective measure. An exampe being the only time I did a romacey type book and it was basically like
    "hi"
    "hi"
    "we're married now"
    "wait wha-"
    "shhhhhh"

[too tired to proof read, sorry if it make no sense!]
Last edited by northy. on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me