🕷 Invertebrate Enthusiasts 🕷

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: 🕷 Invertebrate Enthusiasts 🕷

Postby spiderfish » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:42 am

I hope no one minds me randomly jumping in with questions, but google isn't being helpful.

So, I've been completely forgetting to checks my GALS thank for eggs for the past couple of weeks. I know, I'm terrible, but I've had so much other stuff to think about lately, that it literally just slipped my mind. Dont worry, they've still been fed/misted daily, its just egg checking I've forgot about.
Of course, I now have babies. So many babies. I'm guessing they've hatched in the past day or two, I only noticed them this morning, but they could've been there yesterday and I just didn't see them, I didn't have time to do anything beyond feeding/misting yesterday.

So, how do I care for the babies? Do I need to separate them from the adults? Do they require anything different care wise than the adults? And how old do they have to be before I can sell them?
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:34 am

spiderfish wrote:
I hope no one minds me randomly jumping in with questions, but google isn't being helpful.

So, I've been completely forgetting to checks my GALS thank for eggs for the past couple of weeks. I know, I'm terrible, but I've had so much other stuff to think about lately, that it literally just slipped my mind. Dont worry, they've still been fed/misted daily, its just egg checking I've forgot about.
Of course, I now have babies. So many babies. I'm guessing they've hatched in the past day or two, I only noticed them this morning, but they could've been there yesterday and I just didn't see them, I didn't have time to do anything beyond feeding/misting yesterday.

So, how do I care for the babies? Do I need to separate them from the adults? Do they require anything different care wise than the adults? And how old do they have to be before I can sell them?

I’m assuming land snail babies?
They’re easy, need exactly what the parents do, some greens, protein source and calcium source! Keep them around the same temp and humidity they hatched at. I would remove them from the parents just in case or casualties, the babies can be so tiny compared to their monster parents! Plus they can damage the parents shells if they feel like rasping at them. I would wait until they’re about the size of a marble or ping pong ball but they’re fairly independent and do well once they’ve hatched anyway! 😊

♡ roses, reasons, gay best friend.
♡ art by the clockwork cat
♡ complete item collection - 29/12/19
♡ complete pet collection - 09/01/20 (lol help i'm missing recents)
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby root » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:32 am

look who decided to finally show himself!! (or herself, who knows)
    i'm keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't fall, but i'm a little bit nervous ^^'
    i was going to try to feed him but i can't open it now

edit;; he came down and i gave him a mealworm (dead) so we'll see what happens :0

@spiderfish
    good luck with you snail babies! i wish i could help whoops
root

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby emjayy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm

root wrote:
    look who decided to finally show himself!! (or herself, who knows)
    i'm keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't fall, but i'm a little bit nervous ^^'
    i was going to try to feed him but i can't open it now

edit;; he came down and i gave him a mealworm (dead) so we'll see what happens :0

@spiderfish
    good luck with you snail babies! i wish i could help whoops

Oooo what kind is he? I’m so intrigued by slings lol

emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby root » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:12 am

@blackiie
    brachypelma hamorii! almost 3 years old i think?
x
01001010 JACK 01000001 SHE/IT/HE 01000011 ADULT 01001011
root

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby emjayy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:54 am

root wrote:
    @blackiie
    brachypelma hamorii! almost 3 years old i think?

I completely forgot what hamorii was, I kept thinking smithi lol. Adorable, I absolutely love red knees!!

emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby root » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 am

@blackiie
    i think they’re the same? i know the classification got changed, but yeah they’re pretty cute!!

today i got home to find that he’d dug a pretty nice burrow, which is cool, except that he filled up his hide with all the dirt. i just hope he can still get to his water
x
root

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:34 am

the lake in the lake my community is in, is overrun in banded mystery snails. not sure if that is going to count for anything, as nobody seems to care that there seems to be a thousand or more total. and if they would be pets as they get on my nerves. and it's wrong to ask people who keep them as pets "how do i get rid of" as you don't post in the chicken lover topic asking for recipies. but as one would ask parrot owners what fruit can't they eat. what foods are dangerous. would a snail die form avacado?

i can joke about "come and take them away from me" right? i'm not seriously going to invite you over so you can haul away your own colony of snails.
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hapalopus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 am

Snails are very easy! As long as you keep up the humidity, feed them fresh fruits and veggies every day, and keep out mold, they'll be happy. I may be biased, but stick bugs are amazing beginner bugs as well, provided you can find food for them year round.

I just got my first spider! Everyone say hello to Trick, my pumpkin patch tarantula (Hapalopus sp. colombianus). I believe they're in their 4th instar, so they're still too young to seÑ… for sure. Next time they molt, I'll hopefully figure out if they're male or female. I love this little critter and will protect them with my life

| INFP-T | 4w5 | phlegmatic |
| yak dæmon | asatru | pan lesbian |
| ben 10 fictionkind | bison therian | gnollkind |
| genderfluid | xenogender | he/she |

photo taken by me
hapalopus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby root » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:18 am

@foxxgloves

good luck with your first one, whatever you choose! i don't have all that much experience, so i can't really say myself, but i agree that snails would be a good choice. and of course, there's always hissing roaches haha

@hostile popcorn

congratulations! i love that name! that species is one of my favorites of the tiny ones

as for my T, i'm pretty sure he just molted. he's been all holed up in his little burrow for a couple weeks without eating, and he looks a bit bigger now, so that's my best guess. i want to see him out and about again :')
x
root

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me