Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby clove sevina » Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm

517735A9-CEC4-4254-B093-DD78E71047CB.jpeg

Here’s Marley; a 27 year old Quarter horse, whom I take care of and ride. I just started doing jumping and dressage, and I think I’m getting obsessed with it. I’m hoping to get my own horse for my 18th so I can start showing, but i don’t know. Any ideas where to buy a good horse?
clove sevina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby M0urg3n » Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello! I just have a small question about horses. I'm moving to a ranch in about a year and I'm going to own a few horses. I was seeking guidance in finding a horse discipline I could pursue. I had been thinking cross-country, though I'm still seeking any advice or opinions. Thank you!
M0urg3n

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sforzando. » Wed May 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Elliad. wrote:So, I've been riding a lot more lately and decided that I am going to try a bitless bridle but does anyone know any good articles to read about it? I want to find companies that produce safe ones that aren't going to harm my baby girl and I want to make sure I know what I am doing for the same reason.

I'm a little late to this but the horse I lease is ridden in hackamore only - I'd always wanted to try one on my horses but my grandparents never let me because if you pull too hard you can supposedly break their nose?? I've never had a problem with a hackamore, and I might prefer it honestly.
I coincidentally took photos of my lease horse today but this is the hackamore I use, it's a very simple mechanical one and I actually love it
elder scrolls instagram acc.
ImageImage
central time. not very active anymore. 911 dispatcher irl.
sforzando.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm

Lexa Woodss wrote:Here’s Marley; a 27 year old Quarter horse, whom I take care of and ride. I just started doing jumping and dressage, and I think I’m getting obsessed with it. I’m hoping to get my own horse for my 18th so I can start showing, but i don’t know. Any ideas where to buy a good horse?

Do you have a trainer? Trainers tend to be somewhat connected and kinda know people who have horses for sale, even if the horse is not really for sale in public yet. Other way most seem to find their horses these days is the internet. Like local facebook horse sale groups or webpages specific for selling horses tend to be ones that have most sales going on where I live. Personally I've learned to be bit iffy of people who buy and sell horses as profession on regular bases, but I suppose some could be decent. And obviously if you find a horse through internet you still need to go look at it in person and test ride it (and have vet take look at it preferably) before buying it.

CoffeeBrewing wrote:Hello! I just have a small question about horses. I'm moving to a ranch in about a year and I'm going to own a few horses. I was seeking guidance in finding a horse discipline I could pursue. I had been thinking cross-country, though I'm still seeking any advice or opinions. Thank you!

What previous horse experience do you have? Cross-country itself is part of eventing and is not easiest one out there for the horse or rider (nor the safest). If you are not getting a horse that has been specificly worked and trained in certain discipline, then I would advice not to get too focused on a certain sport unless you aim to compete. Most horses can do pretty much anything, but can only go so far in certain sports as they may not have the right build or temperament for certain tasks. The basics of riding are the same for most disciplines, with the more clear differance being between english and western sports.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 am

A year ago today I officially quit riding and my lease with my heart horse Alice came to an end. It hasn't gotten that much easier to cope knowing I won't be able to ride any time soon and I haven't gotten any closer to being able to get back in the saddle. I really miss my old life.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby M0urg3n » Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 am

Hime wrote:
CoffeeBrewing wrote:Hello! I just have a small question about horses. I'm moving to a ranch in about a year and I'm going to own a few horses. I was seeking guidance in finding a horse discipline I could pursue. I had been thinking cross-country, though I'm still seeking any advice or opinions. Thank you!

What previous horse experience do you have? Cross-country itself is part of eventing and is not easiest one out there for the horse or rider (nor the safest). If you are not getting a horse that has been specificly worked and trained in certain discipline, then I would advice not to get too focused on a certain sport unless you aim to compete. Most horses can do pretty much anything, but can only go so far in certain sports as they may not have the right build or temperament for certain tasks. The basics of riding are the same for most disciplines, with the more clear differance being between english and western sports.

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to look into other disciplines just in case I can stumble upon a more safer option. Working cow horse and Western Pleasure are what else I've found. Anyone have any opinions on them?
M0urg3n

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tainted~Wings » Thu May 02, 2019 10:42 am

CoffeeBrewing wrote:
Hime wrote:

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to look into other disciplines just in case I can stumble upon a more safer option. Working cow horse and Western Pleasure are what else I've found. Anyone have any opinions on them?

Western pleasure is usually the safer option out of those 2 just because cattle are unpredictable. And a good cow horse is hard to sit unless it is a steady calm roping horse
Tainted~Wings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby M0urg3n » Thu May 02, 2019 11:38 am

Okay, I think all my questions are answered. Thank you!
M0urg3n

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Thu May 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Anyone in college and riding?
So I'm thinking of picking up riding again after being scared out of my pants the last time I rode (about a year ago- I'm still so new to horses). I didn't really fall or hurt myself (thank goodness) but my leg got caught in the stirrup and the horse got a little bit startled and pulled me a bit and my instructor seemed really displeased and I was really embarrassed and everyone who saw it told me off for it.
Since then I stopped riding, started volunteering, then got a job there, and have just been promoted to morning manager! My confidence around the horses has gotten a lot better and I feel like I'm kind of yearning for the excitement of riding again. I think I definitely will try again this summer but after that, I have to go back full time to classes. How do y'all make room in your schedule?
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu May 02, 2019 10:20 pm

honeybears wrote:Anyone in college and riding?
Since then I stopped riding, started volunteering, then got a job there, and have just been promoted to morning manager! My confidence around the horses has gotten a lot better and I feel like I'm kind of yearning for the excitement of riding again. I think I definitely will try again this summer but after that, I have to go back full time to classes. How do y'all make room in your schedule?

I'm in university of applied sciences, so that probably counts? Short answer: will depend on your school and how far the stable is. Like for me our shcool is pretty relaxed to be honest, like I think rarely we had full day of classes 5 days a week and the assigments were pretty simple to do (we had like 1-2 small onces per week plus one bigger one for the whole course) and we only had to take one course per 2-ish month period to stay on track of graduating on time. Now I did go abord last spring semester and oh boy was it different. We had 4 courses and each had course essay and exam at the end of the semester (which was also essey). I mean it wasn't so bad really and I, a person who is NOT good at exam essays, managed to pass the exams. But again we only had classes like 4 times a week and they were in the morning or afternoon, so we had most of the days off really to do the course essays. So in both cases I think riding would not be a problem, especially if it's only like once-twice a week on lessons.
If you add a job into the mix them it's a different story. Last fall I worked full time from 8am to 4pm monday to friday and that I will say sucked the life out of me and I didn't ride as much as I should have. Like I'd get home around 4.30, then eat something, be out of the door around 5pm, get to the stable at 5.30 and by the time I had ridden one horse (didn't time to ride two) and groomed/fed the other two it would usually be closer to 8-9pm and then half hour drive back home > shower (eat if I hadn't eaten before) and literally fall to bed. I was supposed to work on my thesis last fall as well, but just didn't have energy to do so (and then I ended up changing the subject in the spring and now I have literally 2 weeks to write the whole thing from almost nothing lol *panic*). So yeah school+riding on lesson very possible to manage, school+part time work+lesson doable, but harder. Also as mentioned, the closer the stable is and thus less time it takes to get there it's usually much easier to fit riding into your schedule.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me