Need advice on purchasing a gaming computer

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Need advice on purchasing a gaming computer

Postby awts2003 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Hello!

I am looking to purchase a gaming computer but I have no idea what I would need or how much I should expect to pay. I would like to be able to run a game like ARK: Survival Evolved on its best settings with a decent FPS. I don’t really know much else about these computers.
awts2003

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Need advice on purchasing a gaming computer

Postby Vatten&Melon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:05 am

Well, to start what kind of computer are you looking for? A desktop or laptop?
Non-Binary || Aries || ISFJ-A

Hello ~

Nice to meet you, I am from Sweden. I play here sometimes. ♥

ImageImageImage
Vatten&Melon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awts2003 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Sorry for the late reply!

I would prefer a desktop
awts2003

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Xiety » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 pm

first, decide if you want a desktop or laptop.
(i recommend a desktop)

laptops tend to be a bit cheaper.

and then decide what your budget is.
ex: $700-1K

ImageImageImage

she/they/he

Xiety

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zima ❅ » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Xiety wrote:first, decide if you want a desktop or laptop.
(i recommend a desktop)

laptops tend to be a bit cheaper.

and then decide what your budget is.
ex: $700-1K

laptops are only cheaper if they are just simple laptops for work etc but a gaming laptop is a lot more expensive than building a pc from scratch or getting a built pc (or desktop if u will)
some laptops such as the acer predator can cost over $1000, but if you build a pc with the exact same specs as the laptop you might only have to pay $500
honestly you're going to have to research the requirements to run ARK smoothly and then from there you can start looking for parts that fit the requirements (or are above the requirements) and maybe you'll get a pc for less than $400!! (i've never built a pc but it's common sense that a gaming pc will be a lot cheaper than a gaming laptop)
my laptop was around €600 and it runs games such as overwatch and gta v quite smoothly, but if i was allowed to own a pc, i definitely could've gotten a wayyyyy stronger pc with that money.
my favorite youtuber, BulletBarry has made a playlist/videos on computer components and what they do so i recommend watching this if you decide to build a pc from scratch rather than buying a pre-built pc/laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzWzMvB ... Wo4af1AHyQ
zima ❅

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vatten&Melon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:30 am

I see, great choice ^^ I'm not really a professional myself when it comes to stuff like this. But I do know some things, so I'll share some tips and advice with you. Also I heavily recommend to do your own research of components and such, where you browse videos, read forums about certain products and so on. So you kind of know what you're getting into and not settle for one thing straight away, just incase there may be a common problem about something you find and can instead avoid, etc. Be sure to do your research!

Oh I'll also add some notes in case you don't really know what some components mean.* (Because I'm a huge nerd.)

Well to start off, on Steam does it say that for ARK the bare minimum requirements to have on your computer in order to play the game is;

- Intel Core i5-2400 Processor
- 8 GB RAM*
- NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card
- DirectX: Version 10 Component**

*RAM is what affects the general performance of your computer, basically it's a memory for your graphics card whilst not being part of your main harddrive in any shape or form, the more you have the better performance. Having at least 8 GB of RAM is practically standard for laptops and desktops with Windows nowadays. (From what I've seen at least, if not standard is it at least becoming more common.)
**DirectX is already built inside of Windows and it being at version 10 is practically standard. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

(Also: I have no experience in using AMD FX / AMD Radeon processors- and graphic cards, so that is why I don't include them. Sorry if that may happen to be what you prefer.)

I also have never played ARK, but judging from the gameplay that I have seen. Is it a very heavy game for a computer to handle. Especially at it's highest graphic settings. Looking back at the minimum requirements to even run and play the game, would having those specs allow you to play it at low- to okay graphic settings with low-to at least okay FPS at least. To try and go higher would the computer probably not handle very well, to at all. Although that is just my observation at first glance, I have no experience in trying to play the game with those specs myself.

Now I have no idea what your budget is and or what you can afford- and or is willing to invest in a computer right of the bat. But I can tell you first some pros and cons about various things which might be good to remember and keep in mind as well as think about.

Laptops can be great- I know that might not be what you'll be getting but I don't know if that may change. They can be great both in convenience and prize range. But all that will depend on what you'll use it for. Companies usually do so that what you see is what you get type of deal nowadays- and upgrading can be limited, sometimes impossible and or just inconveniently difficult. It might be good to use for a while short term, but less so long term. But of course that can depend very much on the model and design. Especially looking into how the components are put together which can determine upgrading of components by a lot, among other things.
----
Desktops aren't usually so limited when it comes to upgrading thankfully, but sometimes do companies make it very difficult (from the design of the model, and how everything is put together). And most often do you have to send it in to them to get it repaired if you break it which can become expensive (this also applies to laptops actually), they are also certainly not cheap depending on the specs it comes with of time of purchase (from first release to later). But of course that varies from company to company, and so on. They're good long term, but sometimes the design it comes with may not age so well. It's not like that always, but sometimes it is.
----
Custom built computers- specifically desktops have a lot of benefits, because you get to choose most things yourself. From the components to the shell/model of the computer. The biggest benefit is customiseability, because it's more in your control since switching parts is easier. So if you start with 'awful' or 'at least decent' specs can you always upgrade them when you get the chance. It ranges mostly on budget and time really. You can start and work yourself up to better and better. What can be quite inconvenient though is that there's a lot of research involved to prize of parts, if they function well and so on. Especially if you don't have much experience in how computers work. And then putting it all together, sometimes you might need to pay a company (that provides such service) if you can't do it yourself- and or may not know anyone who has at least decent experience with computers who can help you. In my opinion is going custom built more worth. It can be time consuming, but lasts for a very long time in the long run.

These options are all up to you to choose from, but I'd at least share some knowledge I have concerning them.
Well to summarize, do I recommend to look for a computer with these kind of specs (at least) to play the game you wish to play with decent FPS and okay-good graphics;

- Intel Core i7 (8-9th generation) processor
- 16GB of Ram (and or maybe higher, if there are)
- NVIDIA Graphics Card (4-8GB)
- As well as an harddrive with space that ranges from 512GB to 1TB (this is more for convenience)

What you’re looking for to have is quite expensive but, it boils mostly down to how your budget is at the moment. All I can really finish with saying is that, be thorough while doing your research about components, and products and so on. Especially if you’d like to get your desktop custom built.

Well, that’s all I have to say. Like I said I’m not that much of an expert but these are some things I know. Hope it might be useful in some way. Well, I wish you luck on finding a nice computer! I’ve been searching for something new as well for a while now, and it’s taken some time haha xD

PS: Sorry for such a late reply! I have been a bit busy so that’s why I haven’t been active on here ^^”
Last edited by Vatten&Melon on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Non-Binary || Aries || ISFJ-A

Hello ~

Nice to meet you, I am from Sweden. I play here sometimes. ♥

ImageImageImage
Vatten&Melon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me