Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby Salsaverde » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:08 pm

[delete]
Last edited by Salsaverde on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anza » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:21 pm

just star wars film thoughts, expressed through this image
costal cowgirl / law student / CS member since 2012
01/2022 UPDATE ---> I've chosen to leave the character community however,
I am keeping my closed species adopts as they mean quite a lot to me
I'm here now mostly for events
✮ ✮ ✮
Anza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby medusa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Favorite Movie(s) and Why
    mad max: fury road: i'm not at all a fan of action movies, but the cinematography and writing of this movie got me hooked. furiosa is one of my favorite characters of all time
    a few of my other favorites are moonlight, carol, grandma & watership down

Least Favorite Movie(s) and Why
    something borrowed: a rom-com about objectively bad people doing objectively bad things. it's poorly written and none of the characters are the slightest bit likable, making it very difficult to get through the 2-hour run time.

Favorite Director(s)
    i don't really have any favorites, though some of my favorite films were by park chan-wook. i also enjoyed martin rosen's animated films, and would have loved to see him direct more.

Favorite Actor(s)
    carrie fisher (rip) and toni collette

Any Film Critics you follow?
    not really
❝ revolution is not
a one-time event ❞
....- audre lorde

xxxxxxxxxxxx
medusa
adult, she/they
listo
black lives matter

xxxxxxxxxxxx
medusa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby claypigeon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:59 pm

*this is a very unpopular opinion I just to say it*
I find that big “franchises” are excuses to make bad movies. Like Star Wars or marvel.
I’ll pick marvel to talk about quickly : )
Over and over again marvel will recycle the same plot, the same boring “hero’s journey”. Of course everyone uses this, but more and more it becomes old and we shift away to more creative things. There is always the same general story: someone, or something, is facing some sort of hardship/weakness in life because they’re he underdog (racially, by gender, disability, whatever) and they always overcome it and probably save the world doing it. In general I find that marvel movies aren’t very funny either.
I kind of feel like they use the hype of stuff, like “it’s a Spider-Man movie!!” to churn out some of the same boring old things?
I’m not saying all ones! I really liled guardians of the galaxy and dead pool, some of the Spider-Man’s, etc..
Just in general I find that most of them don’t qualify as good movies, even though everyone sings praises
I’d love to hear what y’all think! L

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm

[delete]
Last edited by Salsaverde on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ☼find your wings☼ » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm

claypigeon wrote:*this is a very unpopular opinion I just to say it*
I find that big “franchises” are excuses to make bad movies. Like Star Wars or marvel.
Over and over again marvel will recycle the same plot, the same boring “hero’s journey”. Of course everyone uses this, but more and more it becomes old and we shift away to more creative things. There is always the same general story: someone, or something, is facing some sort of hardship/weakness in life because they’re he underdog (racially, by gender, disability, whatever) and they always overcome it and probably save the world doing it. In general I find that marvel movies aren’t very funny either.
I kind of feel like they use the hype of stuff, like “it’s a Spider-Man movie!!” to churn out some of the same boring old things?
I’m not saying all ones! I really liled guardians of the galaxy and dead pool, some of the Spider-Man’s, etc..
Just in general I find that most of them don’t qualify as good movies, even though everyone sings praises

This is a wildly popular opinion.. Movies like this have always and will always be around. It's become the consumer's responsibility to expand their own horizons, as a lot of original, great, and unique movies are continuously being made, its just on us to search them out and watch them.
Also the movies are based on comic books, as in most have pre-established stories.
x
x
x
x
x
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»
Image Image © Image
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

ImagexxxxxImagexxxxxImage

xxxxxxxxxxxx
☼find your wings☼

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anza » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Solsquid wrote:
claypigeon wrote:*this is a very unpopular opinion I just to say it*

As a film student, a lot of my fellow peers feel the exact same way. We talk about movies a lot, which is why I bring it up. When you break down the stories and plot points, they are very formulaic and unoriginal. So are a lot of other movies, but it becomes so blatantly obvious when they are all in the same franchise.

This is basically the Martin Scorsese vs. Marvel "scandal" in a nutshell.

I completely agree with you on this
    Because of how much hyped big franchise movies receive just because that movie is part of that specific franchise, it allows a lot of films to get away with simply being bad and making enough money to seem good. I'm a HUGE fan of marvel and I've seen this trend rise as creativity of films drop. Iron Man, which has basically made Marvel what it is now, was a bit of a generic hero story however it was told through good acting (RDJ!!!), good cinematography, and good humor. It was generic but it was likable, and then Marvel started banking on that. Honestly if I squint, some Marvel movies are quite similar. This rising trend is what worries me in regards to the future of the Marvel franchise and its collection of pretty underdeveloped collection of new "main characters" as the old ones pass on the torch.

I also have to say this for Star Wars. Don't come fight me but I did enjoy the new trilogy, it had some cool characters and some cool ideas, but GOSH IT WAS A MESS!!! There was so much expectations from the audience and from the studio that it took away from the writers ability to tell a good story and instead forced them into people pleasing. I saw this most in the final film and how it seemed to have absolutely no correlation with the second film (the Last Jedi), I WISH that they had developed the first half of the THIRD film instead and condensed the second film to accommodate that because the Rise of Skywalker was an insanely rushed disaster. Rian Johnson is a good director, I just wish that he and J.J. Abrams had worked together on all three so that the second film didn't feel so out of place.

Felt so bad for Rian Johnson that I went to see Knives Out, and let me tell you that film was really good. I personally hate politics and I hate when politics appear in cinema but Knives Out was able to tell a story with a political message but mock both parties pretty equally and still champion for what really defines someone: their good character. We saw a family that was vastly hypocritical even though it was made up of self-proclaimed Republicans and Democrats and although they seemed to argue about political issues (and have varied opinions) they never-the-less continued to benefit from their privilege and be pretty terrible people. It was subtly done through their words and actions building them up into really good characters. It was also a really cleaver twist on the mystery genre and I would really recommend it.

Also can we talk about how cool Parasite was? I'm so glad that it got the recognition it deserved!
✮ ✮ ✮
Anza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anza » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:42 pm

Has anyone else seen the film Emma?
    I absolutely enjoyed the cinematography, it truly felt like every frame could have been a photograph! It's a very aesthetic movie, costumes, set, colors...ahh it's just so pleasing to the eye! I never watched the other Emma film (with Gwyneth Paltrow) so I can't really make a comparison but I personally enjoyed the film!

Also super bummed about Corona delaying the James Bond premier. I was really looking forward to it
✮ ✮ ✮
Anza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peppa » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 am

i want to revive this thread because my latest hobby during lockdown has been watching lots of films lol! i just got into letterboxd, if anyone wants to add me let me know (:

last night i watched before sunrise. honestly, i thought i'd like it much more than i did. i thought it was a good movie, but maybe not for me. it was sweet and the viennese aesthetics were beautiful and i am obsessed with celine's character. i couldn't stand jesse though, he came off as full of himself to me. there also wasn't a lot of substantive plot or action, which definitely isn't necessary for a movie to be good. however, if there is little plot, i like it if the movie makes up for it in other ways, such as interesting editing/takes or unique commentary about a topic. while it was beautiful and there were interesting notes about romance/love, it wasn't enough for me. i haven't talked to another person who doesn't love the movie though, so let me know what you think !

also, if anyone has any movie recs, drop them! some specific films i'm interested in watching next are old (70s/80s) sci-fi and movies directed by women of color.

'' hi! i'm peppa ''
    pms always open, lets be friends <3

she/her | blm | pixel credit
peppa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:20 am

heyy welcome!!

i haven't watched a lot of films lately but quarantine does feel like a perfect time to get back into it.

what old sci-fi movies are you planning on seeing? sounds cool.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me