Least favorite book

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: worst book ever

Postby Kia_Bee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 am

The Music of the Dolphins. Even as a kid who devoured books, this bored me to death. It starts off with this newspaper like look to it on how these marine biologists find a little girl on a beach that was raised by dolphins. They take her back with them and work on civilizing her. Sounds good right? Wrong. After all that, we're thrown into first person of our main character, the girl that they found. Now I understand that she's slowly learning English and how to speak, but when most of the chapters just have one liners of thoughts and dialogue, it gets boring. It does grow a bit more in words that she learns and becomes more of a story, but it was difficult to start after all that build up.
Image -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_Image_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Bumblebee, there is only one| You got people out there| This is how we stop them.
way to end this war, you must| who need you.| You’ve got me, and I’m not going anywhere
protect earth and its people.| This is why you’re here, Bee.
C_R
Image. Image. Image
Kia_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Feliks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 am

I couldn't enjoy the warriors series, I'm sorry I just couldn't.

I mean I have actually tried to read them and even read two comics on warriors, but
I't just wasn't very interesting for me and I didn't really like the characters that much.

wip
Feliks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emi8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 am

I just found this thread and since I love reading, I thought I'd post something in here as well...

I have two books I can think of that I didn't like a lot when reading them.

The first was "The hobbit" by Tolkien: as some people before me posted, he just has a writing style that describes everything so detailed that it can be boring, since not a lot is happening in a lot of text. I read the first 40 or so pages and then couldn't bring myself to go on. I know it sounds a little stupid of me to say a book is boring when I haven't read the whole thing, but well...

The second book was "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. My native language is german and we had to read it in german class. The teacher had previously read it with another class and told us they all liked it. Before we got the book she also told us it would be about 350-400 pages long. That was the first thing. Its over 550 pages. I don't have anything against long books if I like them, but I thought the plot was overused and there are way better examples about similar scenarios (it's kind of a surveillance state thing with a huge company that controls the internet and starts taking over the world). My biggest problem though was that I didn't like the main character at all. She was naive and had no backbone, and her decisions were incomprehensible. On top of that, there was pages of just listings on exactly how many likes she got on which of her social media posts and such things. Also, there were some really unnecessary sex scenes that made me uncomfortable reading them (and I'm not prude with things like that, it was just awkwardly written.) and facts left out that made things unlogical, like one time she's in a locked bathroom stall and the next moment there's a guy next to her who f***s her from behind (sorry for the explicit wording). Like what?!?
All in all, nobody in my class liked it and it kinda wasted my time.

I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on the book!
emi8

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 am

Inari Kitsune wrote:It starts off with this newspaper like look to it on how these marine biologists find a little girl on a beach that was raised by dolphins.

Does anyone else think that premise sounds really implausible? If you want a good book about dolphins, by the way, I'd recommend White Dolphin by Gill Lewis.

@emi8: I got bored of The Hobbit not far in too, because the only thing that happened in the first chapter was Gandalf gatecrashing Bilbo because destiny, I guess. Also, you mentioning a German book reminds me that Dragon Rider is the only work of fiction I have much experience with that isn't Japanese or English.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby twilyghtpanda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 am

The Gentleman Shark wrote:
    I agree they did not talk like teenagers, but I still found myself enjoying the book. I hated the last book in the Cirque Du Freak series. It had built up to this big final battle, then halfway through the book the NARRORATOR dies! Then it gets all downhill from there with confusing time travel and a story that leaves lots of plot holes. Truly a horrible ending to a great book series.

I've found that the quickest way to ruin a series is to include time travel as a plot device. Sure, it can still be done well, but if done poorly, it can result in a confusing mess of plot holes.

THANK YOU I've been saying this for years! I read it in middle school. Literally never wanted to even see any of these novels again.
twilyghtpanda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The_Golden_Jinx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am

I don't like the Maximum Ride books.

They started off pretty good I guess but as the series went on it just got ridiculous. This being said I read them back in middle school so it's been a long time.
Golden_Jinx

Pet's name: Nix
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
The_Golden_Jinx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kawaiiconcept » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm

I read a book once called blood and chocolate
i dont even know how to describe it
cringey at best
juvenile at worst
kawaiiconcept

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kia_Bee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:12 pm

kawaiiconcept wrote:I read a book once called blood and chocolate
cringey at best
juvenile at worst

I read that too. I actually saw the movie and thought it was good and tried the book. People say that the book is better than the movie but...not in this case. I remember one part the human she likes comes over but she starts turning into a wolf and hides in the bathroom.
Bumblebee, there is only one| You got people out there| This is how we stop them.
way to end this war, you must| who need you.| You’ve got me, and I’m not going anywhere
C_R
Image. Image. Image
Kia_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kawaiiconcept » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 am

Inari Kitsune wrote:
kawaiiconcept wrote:I read a book once called blood and chocolate
cringey at best
juvenile at worst

I read that too. I actually saw the movie and thought it was good and tried the book. People say that the book is better than the movie but...not in this case. I remember one part the human she likes comes over but she starts turning into a wolf and hides in the bathroom.

there's a movie????
kawaiiconcept

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kia_Bee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 am

Yes, yes there is. I don't remember much of it, but there's a movie based off the Blood and Chocolate book.
C_R
Image. Image. Image
Kia_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me