COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

What is your opinion on releasing rare pets in monthly releases?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:59 am

I am not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes.
10%
I am interested in a few litters a year that have a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
41%
I am interested in at least one litter a month that has a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
30%
I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with.
19%

Total votes : 5954

Re: COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Postby Squecca » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 pm

tony stark wrote:
Squecca wrote:
aelius wrote:the thing with CS is like, it's a game, you know? so to anyone who doesn't want harder to obtain outcomes, why is that exactly? is it because it will be hard to trade for them, or because it'll be harder to complete your collections? both of these reasons don't really make sense when you think about the fact CS is a game. things aren't always going to be easy, and things being hard sometimes makes it more fun for those who take CS seriously as a game! i want CS to be harder so i can actually feel like i'm accomplishing something when i play it, personally.

I like my chicken smoothie relaxing and fun, not impossible and inflated. And some of the rarer pets are nearly impossible to get (such as the vday lioness).

no offense, but chicken smoothie is already impossible and inflated for 99.99% of users. this not only gives new goals for collectors to work towards, but it helps newbies and those same collectors alike build fodder without resorting to buying real currency to trade for pets.

The answer to the 99.99% of impossibility isn't to make it feel even more impossible. And newbies would suffer the most from this I think, because they don't have as much trade fodder to get the "significantly rarer" outcomes.
May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:44 pm

aelius wrote:it will help newbies though, because they will be gaining more valuable fodder, when they get these rarer outcomes from the monthly litters? it will allow them to actually be able to get into the trading scene. as it is now the only way to get valuables is from dec 18 and being lucky with the pound.

That's assuming that they'd be lucky enough to get those rarer outcomes and also not get ninja'd out of them
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyromaniacal » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:44 pm

No support here for a lot of the reasons already brought up. Surprise rare outcomes can be occasionally fun but they are already such a huge hassle that I would rather there be fewer of that kind of release, rather than more. I don't really feel like they'd do much to help newbies either - most people won't adopt one at all, and newbies who do get one may easily get tricked into trading them for something worth a lot less (e.g. a litter swap). I think in general monthly litters shouldn't have outcomes above VU as a general rule, or maybe something rare once a year or so, at most. (For reference I'm a completionist for monthly releases from after the date when I joined.)

Honestly I would rather there be more things like the zebras - super rare outcomes that aren't part of a standard monthly collection, but are a wonderful surprise if you're lucky enough.
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/ANY ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    FIXATIONS: Dinosaurs - Sonicxxx
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aelius » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:49 pm

i wanna just share a link to my suggestion thread for this from a few months back, since i spent a lot of time on it and wrote up a pros and cons list as well: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4886515
mac | he/they
art shop trade thread
。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆
aelius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Calix » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:51 pm

That's fair about trying to complete every month since you've joined, I get that for sure.

Squecca wrote: And newbies would suffer the most from this I think, because they don't have as much trade fodder to get the "significantly rarer" outcomes.
That's assuming that they'd be lucky enough to get those rarer outcomes and also not get ninja'd out of them

Only completionist newbies though, no? I don't think the majority of new players start out with the goal of 100% collecting every month. Over the years, to me it seems like most initially just go for pets they visually like.

When it comes to being lucky enough; surely increasing the frequency of rare outcomes would only help this? At the moment they hardly have any chances to get an outcome like that in the first place.

The ninja-ing is a concern I have as well, if this change is added I really hope some kind of warning/heads up for newbies is added as well.
Calix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:52 pm

Pyromaniacal wrote: newbies who do get one may easily get tricked into trading them for something worth a lot less (e.g. a litter swap).-snip-

I worried about the ninja trade potential too. It's why I voted for the special release where the pet looks different than the litter. Making the special pet a bit more obvious can only help. I've noticed when users get a zebra they post in the monthly discussion topic asking where this outcome came from and users are quick to assure them how rare a pet they pulled. That's what I am hoping for. When those special pets get released they are so obviously different users come asking about them. Hopefully a smaller chance of getting ninjaed.
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cloverstream » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:53 pm

aelius wrote:the thing with CS is like, it's a game, you know? so to anyone who doesn't want harder to obtain outcomes, why is that exactly? is it because it will be hard to trade for them, or because it'll be harder to complete your collections? both of these reasons don't really make sense when you think about the fact CS is a game. things aren't always going to be easy, and things being hard sometimes makes it more fun for those who take CS seriously as a game! i want CS to be harder so i can actually feel like i'm accomplishing something when i play it, personally.

I agree with this. The main barrier to complete yearly and total collections are the 18th special release pets and old rares. Which is simply completely unobtainable for the majority of players. In comparision to that I don't think a rare every few months would be a nearly as hard, just a challenge. I don't think its fair to ask a game that revolves around rarity to never actually have any rares. Also asking for no new rare pets because people might get ninjad is unfair too. Why have december 18th then??? Isn't there a chance of people getting ninjad then too? There will always be people who try to trade unfairly no matter what. I think how to negate that is an entire seperate (but valuable) conversation.
Cloverstream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:55 pm

Calix wrote:That's fair about trying to complete every month since you've joined, I get that for sure.

Squecca wrote: And newbies would suffer the most from this I think, because they don't have as much trade fodder to get the "significantly rarer" outcomes.

Only completionist newbies though, no? I don't think the majority of new players start out with the goal of 100% collecting every month. Over the years, to me it seems like most initially just go for pets they visually like.

When it comes to being lucky enough; surely increasing the frequency of rare outcomes would only help this? At the moment they hardly have any chances to get an outcome like that in the first place.

The ninja-ing is a concern I have as well, if this change is added I really hope some kind of warning/heads up for newbies is added as well.

Completionist newbies are still valid, I've always been one lol
And ehhh they can still get some valuables from the pound, dec 18th, and the free pets forum.
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bubbaberriboo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:58 pm

i would absolutely love for there to be more monthly rares!!

heyo, my name is bumble!
      i'm a non-binary adult who
      uses he/him or xey/xem
      pronouns. i hope you are
      having a lovely day/night!
      - - -
      pets for FR
bubbaberriboo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aelius » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:59 pm

if the main issue is not wanting to spend hours trading for the hard outcomes, then why bring up the pound, dec 18th, and the free pets forum? as a noob i would spend hours on the free pets forum trying to send trade after trade, getting autocancelled near immediately, trying to get valuables to build up my trading groups and my collections, only to eventually get discouraged and give up even trying to get them through the free pets forum. sure the pound can give you rares but realistically what are the chances of getting anything that valuable from the pound? most people aren't able to sit there and wait until the exact second the pound opens for a smidge of a chance to get a rare pet from it. also, since we brought up ninjaing, dec 18 is the worst for ninjaing, plenty of people get scammed on dec 18. and more often than not people get less valuable species and i often see people complaining on that day because of that, as it really does nothing but hinder their trading groups, honestly. when you get a pet that isn't really sought after from dec 18 it's kinda just disappointing and it just sits in your group for years.
Last edited by aelius on Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac | he/they
art shop trade thread
。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆
aelius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me