Gradient Maps for Oekaki?

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Gradient Maps for Oekaki?

Postby Pyromaniacal » Mon May 06, 2024 10:36 am

Off-CS I have recently been very into using gradient mapping to add color to drawings quickly. It's a pretty common technique used by a lot of digital artists & generally considered a standard feature in programs like Photoshop, CSP, Procreate, etc. Obviously, Oekaki/ChickenPaint is hardly a competitor to Photoshop, but I feel that a gradient map tool would integrate well into a lot of peoples' Oekaki workflows, given how many artists use Oekaki specifically for quicker sketches and studies. It could also help introduce beginner artists who are learning digital art to the technique.

(For those unfamiliar, gradient mapping is a process that "maps" different tonal values in an image to different colors, allowing someone to add different colors/palettes to an image very quickly. It's a very useful process to block in colors, test out different palettes, adjust hue/atmosphere, etc. A lot of guides online focus on using gradient mapping to treat photography, but it's very common as a process in digital illustration as well. Here's an example I found showing how gradient mapping might be used to treat an image.)

The major drawback that I can foresee to this suggestion is that it could potentially be a lot of development time for a feature that would only be used by a fraction of users. Unlike other proposed improvements to the Oekaki, this is an entirely new feature rather than a minor QoL update. Other browser-based painting applications like WebbyPaint and Magma also don't include gradient mapping, so it's entirely possible that it requires processing power that just isn't possible on the web - though Procreate, which omits a lot of features for processing reasons, does have gradient mapping, so perhaps that's less of a concern?

Anyway, thoughts? Would other people be interested in this as a feature, or am I asking too much of a painting program on a kids' adoptable website? (/lighthearted)
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/ANY ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    FIXATIONS: Dinosaurs - Sonicxxx
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal