2018 Advent Event - Help, Questions & Answers

Current Event: πŸ₯šEaster Egg Hunt πŸ‡
Forum rules
Remember: This is not a trading board, so please don't post about pets you're trading!

Re: 2018 Advent Event - Help, Questions & Answers

Postby Shinryu » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 am

Kittycentral~ wrote:Hi! I wasn’t sure where to ask this, but it’s a question regarding the 18th. What’s the latest/most recent year you can get a rare pet from? (My apologies if this question should’ve been directed elsewhere, for future reference. c:)

We don't actually know beforehand, as it's decided by the admins.
    Last year the cutoff was the Space Event 2016. But the year before that, it was Halloween 2013. A lot of us were pretty surprised when we suddenly saw 2015 and 2016 pets popping up on re-release day, haha.

I'd cautiously assume that we could see a Lost City cutoff this time around, but I'm careful to make predictions after last year^^

Edit: That said, UR pets are always an exception. Any and all UR pets will be in the box, no matter what year they're from, even if the cutoff for all other pets is much earlier.
 
[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
                           currently mostly inactive 
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kittycentral~ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 am

@ZEL - Aah thank you so much, I appreciate the response greatly! It helps out a ton. c: I wasn’t sure if there was always a set cut off every year, and I see now how last year confused me a bit more. :lol: Thank you!
Kittycentral~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 pm

With less than 24 hours to go until December 18, I'm wondering where the news post about it is? (A lot of news posts have been posted right at rollover, which leads me to believe they're either queued to automatically post or someone has been making an effort to be on at rollover, hence why I only waited a little over an hour to ask. In recent years, the first news post about December 18 came on December 17)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadylamp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm not sure if this is possible but I think my account skipped a day??
Yesterday (15th) I got the pps pets and then today (16th) I got the ice rats but for some reason, the date under them has the 17th.
So I'm confused as to when the cats were put out and could it be a glitch?
ImageImage
shadylamp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shinryu » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm

shadylamp wrote:I'm not sure if this is possible but I think my account skipped a day??
Yesterday (15th) I got the pps pets and then today (16th) I got the ice rats but for some reason, the date under them has the 17th.
So I'm confused as to when the cats were put out and could it be a glitch?

Nope, the dates are correct - CS runs on GMT, so it's actually already the 17th on here c:
    Pets are always released when it's midnight on here, so even if your own timezone is behind, the dates will match the site's timezone.
    You can check what time it is on CS here:
    time.php

Yesterday's (16th) gift were cats, the PPS pets were released the day before (so indeed the 15th).
 
[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby King Scotty » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:49 am

so the special 18th boxes, how does that work? does RNG decide, when we click adopt, what we'll get? are there limited number of certain pets, so that whoever adopts earliest has best shot at entire set of the possibilities?? or do the odds of the various pets remain the same for everybody? (i was thinking of just admiring my boxes for a while heh...)
TEAM JEMIMA
Green Smoothie Cabin!
King Scotty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shinryu » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:54 am

King Scotty wrote:so the special 18th boxes, how does that work? does RNG decide, when we click adopt, what we'll get? are there limited number of certain pets, so that whoever adopts earliest has best shot at entire set of the possibilities?? or do the odds of the various pets remain the same for everybody? (i was thinking of just admiring my boxes for a while heh...)

Tess wrote:
cubiecommala wrote:To: anyone involved in Dec 18 decisions

Is the current rarity of the pets a factor in deciding how many of them can be released on Dec 18? Like, "there are (say) 120 sunjewels on active accounts, and (say) 150 would push them from OMGSR to VR, so we won't release more than 20 this year"?

Does anyone control which/how many pets are adoptable from the Dec 18th box? Or is it totally randomised?

thank you!

Interesting question, I don't think many people consider that :) it is almost completely random, but with a few exceptions

Instead of there being a hard limit (e.g. 20 sun jewels limit) it'll be a probability (so you might have a smaller chance of getting a sunjewel but you never lose the chance even if people have already adopted a bunch of them). We estimate how many people are likely to adopt and predict which pets will probably change in rarity as a result. We don't want pets to drop down in rarity too much. And for some extra rare pets we want more to be released so they're not impossible to collect. But about 95-99% of the pets in there have an equal probability of being adopted, we only have to tweak a few.

Usually the most probable outcomes are the brand new UR pets, since they would be SUPER rare if we didn't give out a bunch in their first year. It might not feel like it since URs are so rare, but when you adopt from the box you actually have about 4 - 8 times the chance of getting a new UR compared to any other outcome. That's why you sometimes see lucky people getting more than one UR at once
 
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lady Amalthea » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi I adopted a pet which in the archive has 4 out comes 1 common 1 uncommon and 2 rare is there a chance he will grow up to be common? Or is garunteeed I'll get 1 of the 2 rare outcomes
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie! this is the pet it's from 2010
The Lady Amalthea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Poison Rose » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Hey there! I'm just wondering if you have missed some days is there a day for you to get the pets/items from the days of the advent calendar that you missed?
Last edited by Poison Rose on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poison Rose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlaubΓ€r » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi!

I just wanted to know, if the number of pets you get to adopt on the 18th is the same for everyone or if one of my adopts got lost or something like that. I have two adopted pets from today. Looked through all of my folders, but couldn't find a third one. I did intend to adopt one by one anyways and only got to it twice, but I thought with so many people online trying to adopt at the same time, things can happen?

Sorry, if this should be obvious.. ^^
BlaubΓ€r

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me