Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Redlined for Maplex by Strudel

Based on Click to view
Artist Strudel [gallery]
Time spent 56 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
3 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Redlined for Maplex

Postby Strudel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 am

Alright so I did attempt to redline the image. One of my close friends even assisted me so if that anatomy isn't at least decent I think that we both need to go back to gradeschool X3 JK
Anyways... I suppose I need to explain the changes I/we made to it. I guess I'll start with the most important and work my way down (Note though, every change I made is important if you are working toward anatomical correctness. So just because it may be on the bottom of the list doesn't make it much less important than the things at the top)
1.) Cat's bodies are generally longer than dogs in proportion, and hence need to be lengthened a bit more. otherwise they look a bit distorted.
2.)The face should be thinner, and more rounded than it was in the original image. We didn't really lengthen it by much, just defined it more where the brow line meets the muzzle.
3.) Number three is a tie between the chest and the shoulder. The chest needs to be "puffed" out in front of the leg. Otherwise the neck looks too long and awkward. The shoulder needs to be lowered, and closer to the back. You don't want it poking out too far or it begins to look dislocated.
4.) The tail needs to be longer and it needs to flow more.
5.) Legs is next (I'm sure you knew it was coming eventually seeing as I made a few changes to them as well) First off, that back leg that's further back needed to be "pulled" forward more. Otherwise the cat's stance looks awkward and in real life if they stood like that they would topple over X3. In this image I made the joints flow better in the other back leg to match the body type (and because I lengthened the body i would have to change it anyways) The legs also need to be thinner. Cat's tend to be lithe in figure and thus they have skinner legs than dogs and other animals as well.
6.) Ears. They need to be smaller and more pointed. They also need to be conformed more to the skull.
7.) Cats should have whiskers. I didn't add them (bc I'm lazy lol) but in a finished image they would need to be added~

If you have any questions, or don't understand what I was trying to say about something in particular then feel free to ask. I wouldn't mind helping even further. You can ask me on here or shoot me a PM if that's easier.
I'll add your name to the list of those that can edit, I figure you might want that ability for whatever reason.

Also, I hope that you don't feel insulted that I fixed so much. I was trying to help you out to the best of my abilities, so that I could feel I did everything I could to help ^^
Strudel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Redlined for Maplex

Postby Remaskis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:32 pm

This helped so much. Thank you so much!
Tumblr and Homestuck have eaten my brain.
Remaskis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Redlined for Maplex

Postby Strudel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:29 am

Maplex wrote:This helped so much. Thank you so much!

I'm just glad I was able to help you ^^
Strudel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me