Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Mute's Monster Menagerie by Archaeopteryx.

Artist Archaeopteryx. [gallery]
Time spent 6 hours, 19 minutes
Drawing sessions 5
99 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Mute's Monster Menagerie

Postby Archaeopteryx. » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:37 pm

Announcements;
12/21/20 - Winter update! Sleiprunner
adult & baby lines added, + new background

Far away from the hubbub of life is a place where strange creatures roam.....

---

Some free lineart of a couple of creatures I've designed that I have no intention on doing anything special with, so I'm offering them all up to you guys! Will likely expand upon them over time. Want something in particular? Have a design you'd like to see? Feel free to add a reply below, or shoot me a message! I may not choose to add them, but I'm always looking for inspiration ^^ (credit will be given to designs added, of course)

Next species poll
More detailed poll

Rules;
Please read all rules carefully

You may use this lineart to make communities (ex; clans, packs, roleplay groups), standalone adopts, and characters, but you may not use this lineart to make your own closed species.
Base/lineart credit must be linked back to either this page, or my toyhouse (astomnus)
Do not remove signature.
Creature lore may be ignored completely, if you so choose.
Lineart may be edited. You're free to combine creatures, or to use them as inspiration to make new ones entirely.

May add more rules in the future.
Last edited by Archaeopteryx. on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 am, edited 7 times in total.
Archaeopteryx.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Mute's Monster Menagerie - Species

Postby Archaeopteryx. » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Species Available
Note; all lore is supplementary, and can be ignored if you want.

Deerfly
────────────
Insectoid, cervine

The Deerfly is a colorful, iridescent cervine with traits similar to a dragonfly, including an armored exoskeleton, long semi-flexible tail, and two pairs of wings. They have large eyes, small deer-like ears, and two small horns similar to a roe deer's.

These tiny, deer-like creatures can most often be found by bodies of water, particularly creeks, streams, and rivers. While they often gather in herds for protection and companionship, they are solitary creatures at heart. They are light enough to fly, and can do so for short distances. Bucks will fight during the spring over mates. During spring, they also shed their worn and old chitin, which is tough, durable, and very shiny, and can be used to make armor or jewelry.

Design prompts; Oilspill, hidden spring, cypress, bumblebee.

Driren
────────────
Ursidae

Driren are a large, hulking creature, with soft, thin fur, and four eyes. They have six legs, four front, two hind, and while their hind legs are shaped similarly to a dog's, they walk on the knuckles of their front legs similarly to a gorilla. They have a short, doberman-like tail.

Maniwyvern
────────────
Avian

The Maniwyvern is a large bird with three eyes and a magnificent crest running down from their forehead to their tail. Their wings have two claws each, and they use their wings as supplementary legs when traveling on land, much like a wyvern does.

Maniwyverns tend to travel in flocks of up to a hundred individuals, and can remember and pass down information for generations. They are very family-oriented, and anyone who threatens their chicks will face the fury of a hundred snapping beaks. They live in community dens, which they love to decorate with shiny trinkets and prizes. They can use the third eye on their foreheads to look into the future, and the older a Maniwyvern is, the stronger this ability becomes.

Design prompts; Birds of paradise, sun dog, prism, scavenger.

Rylabi
────────────
Ungulate, canid

Rylabi are slender, graceful creatures, with large pointed ears and soft woolly fur. Their front legs are much larger than their back legs. They have a fluffy, curly tail, and a small mane of fur running from their forehead to the base of their skulls.

The Rylabi live in small herds on grassy plains and mountainsides. Their wool keeps them warm during the winter, and feels like what one might think a cloud would feel like until you learn it's made out of water vapor. To communicate to one another, they sing soft, gentle melodies. A herd of them is called a chorus for that very reason— when they gather together, their melodies overlap and mix until it sounds like an eerie song. A popular legend is that, if you befriend a Rylabi, they will eat your bad dreams for you, though that rumor has never been verified.

Design prompts; Aubade, hymn, cotton candy, liminal

Sleiprunner
────────────
Equine

Sleiprunners are a sturdy draft horse with eight legs, a feathery mane and tail, and a single, antler-like horn that has a ball of energy floating in front of it.

Named after Sleipnir, the horse of legend, it is said that Sleiprunners were raised by the Gods of Winter. Their feathered coats keep them warm in the cold environments they prefer, and the ball of energy they carry with them is as warm as any campfire. Foals are born with a single, straight horn and no energy, as the distinctive branched antler and glowing energy come with age and experience. These horses are very intelligent and very, very loyal, and will only pick one rider whom they will remain with for their very long lives.

Design prompts; Glacier, solstice, winter star

Stalker
────────────
Canid, reptilian

The Stalkers are a thin, nearly skeletal creature with no eyes and long, rabbit-like ears. They have a long, reptile-like tail which they use to balance. While they prefer to run on four legs, they can and will stand on their hind legs, and their front paws are flexible enough to be used as hands.

Stalkers are subterranean creatures who have very recently begun migrating to the surface world. Though they are totally blind, they use their keen ears to listen for danger, and use echolocation to keep track of their surroundings. They are solitary creatures, and will only meet up with other Stalkers to care for their young. Like their name suggests, Stalkers are extremely quiet, and will often follow things it finds fascinating for hours at a time. They like to steal interesting-feeling objects, only to leave them somewhere random later. It is theorized that Driren and Stalkers may be genetically related, and hybrid offspring may be possible sometime in the future.

Design prompts; Axolotl, halocline, bioluminescent, angler, crystal.
Last edited by Archaeopteryx. on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Archaeopteryx.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Mute's Monster Menagerie

Postby Archaeopteryx. » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:38 pm

res, okay to post

──────────────────────
it/its
─────────
Obsessive worldbuilder,
enjoyer of speculative fiction
and stories about apocalypses.

─────────
ImageImageImage
──────────────────────
Archaeopteryx.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Glowingsaltshaker » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:16 am

MARKMARKMARKMARKMARK!!!
]
[center][she/they]
[struggling with mental health, be patient with me please. Im not very active but slowly returning ]
Glowingsaltshaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ducky beans » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:28 am

mark
ducky beans

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:02 am

Mark!!!!!
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
◤~ ImageLemon • any • <3! ~ ◥
Image Image Image
◣ ~ ImageFeel free to pm :D~ ◢
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grassman. » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:36 am

Mark! Lovely creatures <33
grassman.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sin Tsukino » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:54 am

Mark I love the stalkers so much
ImageImage

ImageImage Image Image Image--Toyhou.se Art shop
PFP by Driftlord on here!

Sorry in advance if I forget things, feel free to poke and remind me. Struggling with life at the moment.
Sin Tsukino

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SmileChild » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Mark
!!!MISSED THE HALLOWEEN TRADE IN!!!
Desperately looking for wishlist 23halloween pets, feel free to send a trade over if you have any spares!

╔══════════════════════╗
-----------------------
☽:Vis's | ☽:Kal's
-----------------------

╚══════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
text
text
text
text

╚═════════════════════════╝

SmileChild