Kalon #562 RU Corwin by Prolix

Based on Click to view
Artist Prolix [gallery]
Time spent 30 seconds
Drawing sessions 1
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Kalon #562 RU Corwin

Postby Prolix » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

My precious rat child! I'm so sorry I've left you in limbo for this long. It's been an entire year, and much has changed in my life. It has been a turbulent, painful time, but also one of growth. You, however, are a constant; you pose elegantly on my screen, the same old smile playing on your lips. Now the clock must rise from its slumber, the hands must turn, and you must begin anew. Welcome to your life.

Name: Corwin (means "friend of the heart" in Welsh and Latin)
Edits:
Standard: Custom Tail Shine
Common: Custom Tail
Uncommon: Custom Ears, Custom Pupils (no pupils)

Quote, probably: "I am Little King John and I'll take what I will." Nah, he's not confrontational enough.

Friend(s): Shǔ

Personality:
Corwin is a very shy, secluded Kalon who is desperate to please and be looked upon as an equal. Others have tended to judge his character by his appearance and stereotype him as untrustworthy and selfish. Once you get to know him, he is compassionate, levelheaded, quick thinking, and a decent judge of character, a trait born of necessity while living in shady places. He does, however, have issues communicating his feelings and opinions honestly, leading to misunderstandings between him and his friends. This is partially due to his desire to blend in and not offend, but this avoidant behavior is also an effect of his lack of self-confidence. Corwin can be cynical and negative at times, and he lives for company, meaning he can be too clingy if someone doesn't gently reprimand him. He tends to put his companions before himself, even though he is aware of their flaws, and will fight tooth and claw to defend them.

Writing Prompt (didn't post on time ;–;)

"Oh rats," Corwin muttered as he paced back and forth between the constricting walls. He briefly entertained the thought that he was starting to wear a visible rut in the wood panels, but it only further concerned the creature that he was causing more trouble than he was worth. Opting to take a seat on a dusty crate instead, he concentrated his repetitive tic into his paws as they intertwined and periodically clenched.

He could manage this. He was supposed to be cunning and astute, was he not? He was a rat after all, with all of the condemning connotations that came with. Yet, Corwin was also a Kalon, an extremely intelligent beast with a fearful reputation for matching humanity in all its virtues and vices. He was loathed by his kind for being a distrustful rat, and he was dreaded by humans for being so close to the apex species. There was no place in which he belonged. The ever-judging gazes of observers, both Kalon and man, stifled him. He was born defying expectations, but it had brought him none of the glory that mavericks in his pilfered novels enjoyed.

Why was he trying to break the mold once again? What purpose was there to making himself stand out even more? Name had remained in hiding for so long, ducking into sewers and donning cloaks to conceal his cursed features. The daylight was so foreign, it was more of an idea than a reality. Despite his attempts to stay out of sight, Corwin so desperately wanted to please and be accepted for once in his miserable existence. He would do anything to obtain an ounce of warmth and gratitude. Anything at all.

The starvation for attention had finally brought him out of his damp shelter and into a dry, cavernous room. The cargo hold was nestled in the belly of a great cog that rocked gently on the water as it traveled towards the horizon, and it was there that Corwin sat quietly as his heart beat quicker than a stallion ran. This was his chance to prove himself to his Kalon fellows, and he could not waste such a precious opportunity.

The captain of the vessel had recently docked in the harbor and invited any of the local townspeople to offer a solution to a rampant issue at great reward. Pirates had infested the local sea and looted any ship that made the error of passing through. The boat was unable to take any other route as time was limited and the vessel was carrying an expensive delivery of gold to the Spanish aristocracy. Though this cog had steep walls that impeded their ability to board, this particular band of marauders was not easily dissuaded. Several individuals had made recommendations, but none of them feasible given the urgency and severity of the issue. Corwin had finally decided to step up when he heard the desperation in the captain's voice one evening from his position below the tavern. It spoke to his cries for help as a young kit, before he learned to keep his mouth shut.

A long and complicated history had built up a distinctive approach to life over the years, and now his experience would culminate in this one task. His delicate ears picked up a distinct sound as he slowly rose from his seated position and headed towards the deck. A second set of waves was crashing against the hull of an approaching ship. The looters were on their tail. As he popped his head out into the windy night air, he noticed with some delight that the Kalon crew had stopped their chatter and were quietly retreating into their quarters. This part was progressing smoothly enough. He also noted that lanterns were being put out at his signal, small wisps of smoke the ghosts of the once bright flames.

Twenty agonizing minutes ticked by as the approaching vessel became more visible through the fog. Corwin watched with bated breath as the pirates steered into a position alongside the ship, curiously peeking from behind a stray barrel as a few lean, battle scarred Kalons boarded. They investigated the deck quickly, noting the lack of cargo or decoration characteristic of a merchant's vessel. The crew had removed everything they could several hours before. As the pirates regrouped to deliberate, Corwin popped up and approached cautiously, adorned with a cloak and adopting an elderly voice.

"What are you young fellows up to this evening?" he inquired, acting purposefully naïve.

One of the privateers sized him up, ignoring the question and asking his own.

"What are you doing at this late hour so far from the coast?"

"Oh, dear. I was fishing when the wind blew me off course and I've been trying to steer back to land! Can you assist me?"

The pirate coldly regarded him, before turning to jump back onto his own vessel. His juniors followed suit, and the ship turned away, heading into the blanket of night. He stood there, his heart racing from the fear, for a good ten minutes. Tears streamed down his face as several crew members gave him a thankful embrace. Corwin had never felt so wanted and so alive.
Prolix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me