Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Watch out for ninja traders in December! by Gloo Soda

Artist Gloo Soda [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 55 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Watch out for ninja traders in December!

Postby Gloo Soda » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 am

Let's make December "Ninja Trading Awareness Month", no?

Either way, please be sure to help newer and less experienced players so that they can protect their December 18th release pets from ninja traders!

Here's some tips for new players who may be reading this.

Q: "What is ninja trading?"
A: Ninja trading is the intentional act of targeting players who are not well versed in rarity and value to trick them out of their rarer pets. Basically, the ninja trader will send a trade to another person offering rather low value pets for something much more valuable, but does not tell the other person this.

While in literal terms this is an act of scamming, it is not considered a scam under CS rules as it is impossible to tell somebody's intention (a suspected ninja trade could simply just be a bad offer by someone else who is just clueless about rarity and value, so separating this from scamming was a necessary evil that prevents false scamming reports).

Therefore, CS regards "scamming" as outright telling the other player that their pet is worth less than it actually is. A rule against ninja trading cannot be enforced as the person doing it simply does not state anything regarding value; they will either send a message asking if the other person would like to trade, or will not send a message at all.

However, we know this occurs because...well, there are people who admit to doing it. So these people are definitely out there, and are looking to swindle you out of your valuable pets!

-----------------------------

Q: "Why so much concern in December, especially December 18th in particular?"
A: On December 18th, a special gift box is released that gives each player random pets. These random pets are re-releases of older pets, which often includes pets from as far back as 2008. This means that you have a shot at some EXTREMELY valuable pets. Meaning, even newbies can receive 2008 VRs or OMGSRs. Ninja traders are opportunists and will take advantage of a new player's lack of knowledge to snatch these pets from them.

-----------------------------

Q: "How can I protect myself and others from ninja trading?"
A: There's a few things you can do! Here's all the advice I can give to best protect yourself and your valuables:

> If you have not already, create separate trading groups for your pets, and lock ALL groups that are NOT up for trade,
INCLUDING your default "Pets without a group" group. Keep your December 18th release pets in one of these locked groups until it grows, so that you can determine its exact value.

>If you receive a trade for rare pets, check in with the FTT, or "Fair Trade Thread".

>Spread the awareness to newbie players! The more people there are who know, the less victims there will be!

I think that's all for now! If you have input as to how I could make this post more informative and helpful, please point out anything I missed! Let's make this a fun holiday season for everybody who isn't a ninja trader!

Trades

Gloo Soda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Watch out for ninja traders in December!

Postby vixenmatch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:50 am

I was ninja traded a few times back when I was a newbie....
Image────────— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —──────── Image
they/he
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
i:gosilverraven
─────────────────

vixenmatch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gloo Soda » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 am

Peppermint pizza wrote:I was ninja traded a few times back when I was a newbie....

That's awful! I've been ninja traded before, but thankfully only once.

I've had pals get ninja'd out of list pets, it's terrible ;;;

Trades

Gloo Soda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zirconwolf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:42 am

Keep a look out everyone!
I've not had to deal with this much in the past but I'd hate to see someone lose out because of a bad deal.
zirconwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vixenmatch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 am

In 2 hours, its the big day!
I'm sooooooo excited!
Unfortunately I traded away both of my original December 18th pets away in 2015 :T
Image────────— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —──────── Image
they/he
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
i:gosilverraven
─────────────────

vixenmatch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soupy. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 am

:D I love this :)

I was 'ninja traded' when I was a newb
But I also gifted 2009 rares to random people...
I regret a lot of my decisions.
[ Corvus ]
[ They / Them ]
[ Bisexual ]

Image Image
soupy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups