Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Veeka Reimagined by Verdana

Artist Verdana [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 10 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
13 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Veeka Reimagined

Postby Verdana » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 am

When I was much younger, I created a creature I called a Veeka. It was basically a ball of fluff with two mammalian hind legs, big eyes and a long prehensile tail.

Being nearly 10 years older (if none the wiser) I decided to see what I could turn them into.

Here is what you need to know about them (this bit hasn't changed from when I was a kid):

The Veeka are small mammalian creatures. Similar to the humble chinchilla, these creatures set themselves apart by having no forelimbs, larger eyes, and far superior intelligence. Veeka intelligence is said to rival that of humanity. Do not be fooled by their dumplingy exterior. Their lingual ability is remarkable and they have proven able to become fluent in almost all human languages.

Hardy and determined, they thrive in all climates. They are omnivores, but they have a great love of fine food, which leads both to an excess of love handles, and a predisposition for the Veeka to find homes near human habitation. Though the Veeka have their own rich cultural systems and traditions, they are notoriously curious, and the closer they are to human habitation, the more they will display the characteristics of those people alongside their own native behaviours. They have been known to make accessories, as well as stealing human-made objects to use as decorations (with varying degrees of success).

Their long hind legs and round shapes make them unexpectedly fast runners. Their prehensile tails allow all sorts of behaviours, from swinging to skipping to lock-picking. They can, and will, get into anywhere, and then run away very fast when caught. The Veeka make absolutely horrible pets. They are sassy, opinionated and far too energetic. Do not let them access caffeine. Ever.

FAQs:
- Ooh, can I hold one?

Sure! The Veeka love to be held and petted. Grooming is a large part of their social structure, so it's a great way to make friends with one.

- OMG it is so soft!

Yep. If you could hold a cloud, it would feel like a Veeka.

- I want one as a pet. How do I get one?

Did you not read what I just said? They are horrible pets! Awful! Imagine having a roommate who doesn't clean up after itself, hogs the TV, eats all your food, steals all your stuff. In fact, they'd tell you to get a cat, then not look after it and complain about all the fur (despite the fact that they shed constantly).

- But I REALLy REALLY want one!

Ugh, well don't say I didn't warn you. To get one, you have to find one, make it like you, then invite it to stay with you. How you do that is up to you.

- HELP! My Veeka escaped!

What do you mean, it escaped? You can't cage them! They are far too smart for that. You'd better hope that, if it comes back, it wasn't offended. Otherwise it will bring friends, and they will steal all of your muffins.

- What is Veeka civilisation like?

In Scotland, imagine tiny little buggers in kilts, speaking in heavy accents and herding the local micromammals. In Ethiopia, imagine wandering nomads, living off the land and creating beautiful art and oral traditions. Near New York, they will be eating pretzels and bagels and living in high-rise tree trunks (while complaining about their neighbours). It varies.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Veeka Reimagined

Postby Ovacalix » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:25 am

So precious! Lil popcorn fluff!
Love them!