Shooting Stars by Rebel Faery

Based on Click to view
Artist Rebel Faery [gallery]
Time spent 32 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Shooting Stars

Postby Rebel Faery » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 am

Well, here's a family of dogs, and below is their story... I hope you enjoy it :)

Father- Phoenix
Mother- Aline (ah-lean)

Phoenix's Story
Phoenix lived in a street dog pack, known as the 'Alignments'. He was born with a crippled foot, and found it hard to move faster then a trot. The pack jeered at him and called him names, until he was old enough to take care of himself. They then cast him out of their territory, warning him never to return. Phoenix then roamed the streets for a year, lost with no place to go.

Aline's Story
Aline was part of a Kingdom in the sky. Dogs with dark pelts and glowing features, known as the 'Luminescence' ruled the night sky, disguised as stars to everyone else. Aline was a high-born, the third child of the king himself. One night, a comet shot past as Aline and her sisters were flying, knocking her out of the sky...

Meeting...
It was a wednesday evening. Phoenix limped along the dark street, shadows cast away by the orange light the humans had cast over the city. He sighed, and looked up to the stars. To his astonishment, a large, glowing thing was speeding towards him, and he closed his eyes, waiting for impact.
"Oof!" he groaned, falling backwards. On top of him was a strange, annoyed-looking dog. He snarled at her, getting to his paws.
"What the chicken do you think you're doing?" he yelled in annoyance, letting out a low growl. The small she-dog shyed away.
"I'm sorry- and you could try to be nicer! I just fell out of the SKY, if you hadn't noticed! And I've injured my wing."
"I don't honestly care! You should learn to watch where you're going!"
"Where I'm going? You couldn't have moved out of the way, could you?"
"Who do you think you're talking to, pup?"
"Pup?! Pup?! I am no pup! Who do you think you're talking to?"
"Some idiot who just knocked me out of the sky," Phoenix snarled, and walked away, limping as he did so.
"Oh, no," she countered, moving round to block off his path. "You're not going anywhere. I don't know how things work here, but where I come from, it's custom to help a girl in trouble. And if you weren't aware, I've hurt my wing and can't get home until it's better."
"So?" Phoenix snapped, "What am I meant to do?"
"You have to look after me!" she growled. Then she smirked. "And now you have to."
"Why?" Phoenix asked.
"Look around your ankle."
To his surprise, a small silver chain had wrapped itself around his ankle, and hers as well.
"That wont come off until my wing is healed. So now you have to take me to your home."
"I can't," Phoenix muttered, his grey gaze falling to the ground.
"Why ever not?" the she-dog snapped.
"Because I don't have a hope!" he yelled, losing his patience. She looked uncomfortable now.
"Oh." Then, "What about family?"
"I don't have any family either," he told her, walking away. She trotted on behind.
"So you're all alone?" she whispered.
"Yes," Phoenix muttered. "And I like it like that."
"Okay... My name's Aline, by the way. What's yours?"
Rolling his eyes at her happy tone, he replied, "Phoenix."
She chattered on as they walked, but Phoenix ignored her. How the chickens was he going to cope with this?

Finding Shelter...
Aline whimpered. Her paws were sore with all this walking on hard stone, and dismal rain was beginning to fall. It was nearing dawn, and she was growing tired.
"Can we rest?" she asked Phoenix. He looked back over his shoulder, rolling his eyes.
"Where, do you suggest? Anyway, we're nearing Alignment Pack territory. It's not safe here." He turned back around and carried on walking. Aline followed, her head down.
Finally, as the morning mist was clearing and the sun was rising in the sky, he turned to look at her. She looked up hopefully, wondering if she could sleep now.
"Listen, Pup, we can rest here. It's only been vacated a month, so we should be safe."
She looked up at the small cottage he was pointing at. They were on the outskirts of the city now, and she felt more at home here; the ground was softer on her paws, and the air was cleaner. She nodded, and limped up the steps. Her split wing was dirty and grimy, so she was looking forward to resting and cleaning it.
Inside the cottage it was cleaner then she expected, even so. Phoenix sent her to lie down on a big squishy thing he called a 'sofa', before disappearing outside.
"Be back in a minute," he told her. She nodded and lay her head on her paws, deciding to leave her wings until later. Phoenix returned, carrying something rotten-smelling and fleshy-looking in his jaws. He dumped it at her paws, and she looked at it in disgust.
"What is that?' she asked, shuffling away from it.
"Chicken," he said. Then seeing her still mortified expression, he sighed and yanked it away from her. "Fine, I'll eat it then."
Trying to ignore the rank scent in the air, Aline folded her wings over her and fell asleep.

Meeting Kadrae and Duane...
Phoenix led Aline through the streets, moving away from the edge of town. He didn't like it there, it was too open and quiet. He preferred the hustle of the centre of the city, with its crowds and flashing lights. His companion seemed not to, glancing back every two minutes.
Deciding to ignore her (not that it would be hard), Phoenix scented the air. He winced in annoyance. Two acquaintances of his- mates by the names of Kadrae and Duane- were moving towards him, and it was too late to avoid them.
"Ah, Phoenix! There you are!" Duane called, his loud, booming voice making him flinch.
"Duane," Phoenix greeted cautiously, "Kadrae."
"So who's this? Finally found yourself a mate, eh, Phoenix?"
"NO!" Phoenix snapped. "This is Aline. She's hurt, and seems to have volunteered me to look after her. Pup," he growled, turning to face his companion, "These are Duane and Kadrae."
"Hello," Aline greeted politely, bobbing a curtsy. Phoenix rolled his eyes.
"Oh, aren't you precious?" Kadrae complimented, "And so pretty too!"
"So," Phoenix interrupted, "What did you want?"
"Pray tell?" Aline added politely. Phoenix turned to her and rolled his eyes.
"Well, Phoenix, some friends of ours- do you know Shelly and Duncan?"
"Briefly," Phoenix said absently.
"Well, they're having a bit of a party tomorrow night, and we wondered if you and Aline would like to come?"
Phoenix nodded. "I'll think about it."
"It's at the Abandoned Hotel. So, we'll see you there, around dusk?"
"We'll see," Phoenix said with a nod.
As soon as Kadrae and Duane had left, Aline turned to him, her eyes sparkling.
"Oh, Phoenix, a party!"
"What about it?" he snapped.
"We must go!" she told him.
"No," he muttered. "Conversation over."
"But- But why?" she wailed. Before he could reply, she continued. "Oh, do come, Phoenix! It'll be fun!"
"I'm not going," Phoenix snapped, "Will you leave it at that?"
"Oh, you are going," she told him, "I'm going, and if you'd forgotten, everywhere I go, you have to come too."
Phoenix sighed. "I guess I have no choice."
Aline gave a little skip of excitement. "Yay!" she cried, "We're going to a party!"

Getting ready...
Phoenix waited around for Aline. She had been in the hall cupboard a long time, what was she doing?
They had decided to come back to the cottage for a rest, and then Aline insisted they get ready for the party. He'd simply splashed himself with water and cleaned the soot out of his fur, but she was taking forever. Where was she?
"I'm ready," Aline giggled, and came out of the cupboard. Phoenix almost gasped.
She looked so diffrent from the pup he'd assumed she was. Her black fur was neat and tidy, gleaming in the evening light. Her blue eyes twinkled like a jewel, and her wings were polished like glass. The dull red dots on her fur were glowing bright, lighting her up. It seemed that she was actually glowing. She was, Phoenix realised.
"Wow," he whispered.
"What?" she asked, looking up at him.
"You're glowing," he told her in astonishment.
"Do you want to glow too?"
"What?' he asked. She smiled, saying nothing as she walked over to him.
"Will you accompany me to this party?" she asked.
"Sure," he agreed. She stood by him, and as their flanks touched, Phoenix felt a light spread over him. His reddish-brown fur was glowing with the same silver radiance as Aline's and he smiled in fascination.
He glanced up at Aline, and the childish glitter in her eyes was back.
"Let's go!"

Friday Night...
The abandoned hotel was glowing, most of the lights switched on. As the couple walked into the bustling lobby, they heard the music coming from up the stairs. Aline glanced at Phoenix, her eyes huge. There were so many dogs! Phoenix smiled reassuringly and gestured to the elevator.
She followed him through the crowd and into the empty glass-and-gold cage. The lift shot upwards, one, two, three, five floors at a time. She watched the ground fall away beneath them, marvelling at the shining lights and bustle of dogs. The music grew louder, and finally the elevator stopped, opening on the sixtieth floor.
Aline's eyes opened wide as she saw the rooms. They were heaving with dogs. Loud music pounded down the hallways, and the scent of proper food tickled her nose.
"I didn't know street dogs could afford something like this," she told Phoenix. He glanced at her, eyes amused but weary.
"They can't. Shelly and Duncan are pedigrees. Shelly stars in dog food advert and Duncan's a prize show-dog. Every so often, when their owners go away, they'll hold something like this. And they never get caught."
"Wow," Aline whispered. "We used to have balls and masquerades and feasts at home. Father invited all the important people, and Mother invited all her high-society friends. Me and my sisters- and my two brothers- as pups, we used to hide on the balconies above the grand hall and watch in amazement. When we got older, we were allowed to mingle with the guests, and dance with some of the others. It was amazing, but nothing like this."
Phoenix nodded at her. "Your family is very high-ranking, then?" he asked.
Aline nodded, looking uncomfortable. "Yeah... Oh, isn't that your friends? Let's go say hi!"
"Wait, Aline, no!" Phoenix yelled, but it was too late; she had already left. With a sigh, he went over to where his young friend was stood with Kadrae and Duane. This was going to be a long night.

Note From the Author...
This story is highly unrealistic... oh well. And in the next part, Aline is only singing because my sister was playing that somg earlier, and I have it stuck in my head. Don't ask me how she knows the song, or whatever. I. DON'T. CHICKEN'. KNOW.

A Spot of Trouble...
The room had cleared in the centre slightly, to make room for a small dance floor. Couples were dancing in the middle, to a soft, slow music. Phoenix stood to the side, free of Aline for a moment while she went to get something to eat.
"Hey, Phoenix!" a chirpy voice greeted him. Phoenix sighed. She was back, then.
"What is it, Pup?" he asked her, not unkindly.
"Would you care to dance?" she asked. Phoenix shook his head.
"I can't."
"Can't what?"
"Dance."
"Don't be ridiculous," she told him. "If you can handle glowing- which most dogs can't, trust me- then you can dance."
"I can't, Pup," he told her, "It's my leg. I can't run, let alone dance."
"Can you jump?" she asked him mischievously.
"I guess..." he said uncertainly.
"Good," she said with a smile, "I've always wanted to try this."
She nodded her head at the stereo, and the song changed. Phoenix winced as he recognised the tune...
"Come on!" she yapped, grabbing his paw and leading him over to one of the rickety tables. She jumped up, and yanked him up after her.
"What are you doing?" Phoenix yelled.
"I'm having fun!" she replied.
She magicked a microphone out of thin air and began to sing along. Phoenix faceplamed... Oh no.
"There's a stranger in my bed
There's a pounding in my head
Glitter all over the room
Pink flamingos in the pool!"

She reached out a hand to pull him up. Phoenix shook his head. "No way!"
She shrugged, and carried on singing.
"I smell like a minibar
DJ's passed out in the yard
Barbie's on the BBQ
Is this a hickie or a bruise?

Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well!
It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled...

Last friday night!
Yeah we danced on tabletops
Took too many shots
Think we kissed but I forgot

Last friday night!
Yeah, we maxed our credit cards
And got kicked out of the bar
So we hit the boulevard

Last Friday night!
We went streaking in the park
Skinny dipping in the dark
Then had a ménage à trois
Last Friday night!
Yeah I think we broke the law
Always say we're gonna stop
Op-oh-oh...

This Friday night
Do it all again
This Friday night
Do it all again!"

She reached down to him again, and this time Phoenix accepted her paw. The others were all following Aline's example; he may as well do too.

"Trying to connect the dots
Don't know what to tell my boss
Think the city towed my car
Chandeliers on the floor!"

"Ripped my favorite party dress
Warrant's out for my arrest
Think I need a ginger ale
That was such an epic fail!

Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed!"
"Oh well!"
"It's a blacked out blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled!"

"Last Friday night!
Yeah, we danced on table tops
And we took too many shots
Think we kissed but I forgot."

"Last Friday night!
Yeah, we maxed our credit cards
And got kicked out of the bar
So we hit the boulevard."

"Last Friday night
We went streaking in the park
Skinny dipping in the dark
Then had a ménage à trois."

"Last Friday night
Yeah I think we broke the law
Always say we're gonna stop
Oh whoa oh!"

Phoenix grabbed Aline's arm, recognising that grey pelt in the crowd... it was his brother, the one who hated him. He yanked her off the table, and she dropped the mic in confusion.
"Come on!" he told her above the roar of the music and singing.
"Why? Where are we going?"
Phoenix didn't reply, just yanked them into another room. It was a different party, one full of old dogs and classical music... Chickens.
"Uh, hi?" he offered, before Aline pulled him out the room. They ran down a flight of stairs and rounded the corner, falling onto the floor, against the wall. They sat there, giggling and breathless, the world spinning around them.
"That was fun!" Aline said after a while, still giddy. Phoenix nodded.
"It was, wasn't it? I haven't had that much fun in ages."
Aline nodded. "Me neither."
The sat in silence a moment, then Phoenix smiled.
"Thank you, Aline."
She smiled. "You called me it."
"Called you what?"
"Aline."
He nodded.
"Yeah," he said, "Yeah, I guess I did."

Saturday...
"Where are you taking me?" Aline asked, the blindfold over her eyes. Phoenix didn't reply as he halted.
"Open your eyes."
She pulled the blindfold off and blinked, as if not believing what she was seeing.
They had come to a nature reserve just outside of town, and were stood on a rise overlooking the lake. In the lake, ducks and geese were swimming, looking content and happy in their paradise. Above them, in the clear blue sky, white gulls flapped and called.
Aline turned to him in amazement. "Thank you!"
"You're welcome," he told her.
For the rest of that afternoon, they splashed in the shallows of the lake and rolled around on the green grass. Finally they flopped down on top of a hill, exhausted. White, fluffy clouds floated above them in the sky as they lay on their backs, watching.
"My mother used to bring my brothers and I here," Phoenix commented. Aline glanced at him.
"She did?"
Phoenix nodded, remembering. "She wasn't a city dog, like my father. She had been born wild, in the country. She came to the city looking for food, and our pack scooped her up. She often said the only reason she stayed there was because of my father."
"Why aren't you with them, then?" Aline asked. "They're your family, your pack." Her eyes drifted to the sky. "I'd do anything to get back to mine."
Phoenix sighed. "It's complicated. They didn't want me. I was a burdon to the pack."
"Did you do something wrong?" she asked.
"No... It's my leg, if you must know. Nobody wants a lame pup."
She looked shocked. "So they cast you out? That's absurd! If you were really useless, you wouldn't be able to cope on your own. No family should treat anybody like that. You're right, its better off without them."
"Thanks, Aline," he said with a smile. "And I'm not alone any more; I've got you."
"I'm glad you're not alone," Aline told him as dusk gathered. "I'm so, so glad I've met you."

In The End...
A whole year had passed. Aline's wing had healed, but she'd refused to go home, and still hadn't told Phoenix she was actually a princess. They had six beautiful pups, all of which shall be named below.
The first-born, a Princess named Angelica Rose, was the same creamy-white as her father's patches, with patches of her mother;s black. She had blue eyes like her mother, and her wings were a glowing ruby-red.
The second-born, a son, had been named Griffin. He had his father's pelt and eyes, and red wings like his sister.
The next pup was also a son, named Celebration after the parties his parents loved to attend. He was brown, like his father, but with green dots in his fur and matching green wings. His eyes were blue, just like his mother's.
Their next pup was a daughter, Freya after her mother's favourite song. She had black fur, like her mother, but with blue wings instead of green.
Their fifth pup was a son also, called Avar. He had his father's dark brown, but also red dots like his mother and white wings.
Their final pup was a little girl, comet. She was black with white dots, and green wings. Her eyes were a pretty grey.

Pheonix and Aline may think their adventures are over, but for both them and their pups, the adventure's only just beginning...
My Tumblr
I've decided it's time to move on, and so I've quit CS. It's been a good three years, but, well, as of May 2014, I don't think I'll be coming back. I'd like to say thank you, to all of you. Thank you for encouraging me, inspiring me, and being my friends. I've had so much fun, but this is the end. Seeing as this is my last visit, I've changed my username back to the original, Rebel Faery. It's a name that I no longer go by, but a name I'll always remember. I'm so sorry to every fan of TIAJNAD, to everyone that read my writing, to, well, everyone. But it's time to move on. To make like Elsa and let it go. (I was still on CS when Frozen came out. It feels like so long ago.)
let it go, let it go, and I'll rise like the break of dawn
let it go, let it go, that perfect girl is gone
here I'll stand, and here I'll stay
let the storm rage on
the cold never bothered me anyway
Rebel Faery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups