❀ || Plant Lovers

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: ❀ || Plant Lovers

Postby lesbian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:22 am

hello and welcome to all of the new peeps!!! apologies in advance for the super long post, i haven't posted in a while but i wanted to respond to everyone <3

@woo
          smo is completely right, watering is highly dependent on your location - i always test when my plants are ready for water by putting my index finger into the soil to the first knuckle and if it feels damp then it's best to leave it until the soil is totally dry! it's always better to underwater cacti than overwater nwn (philip is a cute name btw!!)

@cheesecake.
          glad to hear she's doing well, as for your cactus, there's always 3 things i suggest looking at to gauge what problems there might be with your plant: water, sunlight & disease are you watering enough/too much, it's generally quite difficult to under-water cacti, but if it is overwatered its roots may be drowning (you can take it out of the soil it's currently in, wipe as much off as possible and replace it into dry soil if this is the issue, it might put the plant into shock for a while, but they hate being wet more than they hate being moved), you already said light isn't an issue - but brown spots sometimes can be a sign of being burned (if it's not a disease or water issue, maybe try moving it around to see if the sun is maybe just a bit too intense where the plant is right now!) And then thirdly, it could be suffering from mites of some kind or another disease, carefully inspect the plant and it's soil to see if you can see any small moving insects and if you can move it away from your other plants asap so it's more difficult for the disease to spread and then use an insecticide (natural or unnatural, it's totally your choice!)

@monty,
          hey! that sounds like a super cute set up for your lil plants!! i unfortunately am really bad with names haha but i'm sure that whatever you decide will be awesome! and i'd love to see pictures for sure :3 (your name is updated now!)

@Tea.Elf
          i love venus fly traps so much, good luck with all of your plants!

@Firefoxx01
          oh no, that's not so good - i dont know much about the species of tree, but i did find this article (which is quite long) but seems to discuss your issue a little, i hope it helps and that your tree recovers <3 (i'll quote the most relevant part in case you dont want to/cant read the article!)
          Are the leaves changing early this year?

This was a generic search term used to find the blog in mid-July 2017. The short answer is no, they are not – not in July, anyway.

In hot and dry weather, many trees can become “distressed” and start to shed leaves. Silver birches are affected by this. Also, greenfly infestations can also cause leaves to die and fall. If a lot of leaves are turning yellow on the tree then you have a problem – quite possibly the one which is the main subject of this article. However, a few leaves falling is probably nothing much to worry about.

In 2016 the first show of yellow up here on all trees was during the first week in October. In 2017, yellowing began a month earlier, and by mid-September they almost all were clearly changing. July yellowing is/was not down to autumnal changes.

@shoe.
          oh no! plants changing colour is definitely worrying, but shock isn't usually deadly to the plant, it is likely just adjusting to it's new surroundings and will return to normal asap - i've always found when repotting plants that i struggle to adjust to their new watering requirements, so just be sure that it's got the appropriate water for it's species!

@pompompurin
          welcome mochi! (you've been added to the front page - sorry for the wait ;v;) aw, peter and bonnie are such cute names! yeah, cacti are super fussy about water haha, hopefully bonnie recovers well!! also, for sure, plants are a bigger responsibility than people think, its nice to have something to care for though! :3 (unrelated but your pfp is so cute!!!)

@Pixelated_Prophecies
          i would say that its best to start watering them once they have their own roots and their original leaf that they were attached to (if that's the method of propagation you're using) has dried and can be pulled off without any effort - i've heard that spraying the soil (very slightly) to keep it a little moist can really help with propagation, but i've never done it so i cannot tell if the risk of mould growing is worse than the benefits of moist soil

@bananasocks
          welcome heather! i love fiddle leaf figs so much, i'd love to own one one day because they're just so impressive! i think the cheese plant one you're talking about is called monstera deliciosa though i dont know what the furry one is haha! (i love the art in your sig btw!)

---

now to talk about myself!! (well, my plants): we had a bit of a heatwave here in scotland and my plants adored it - my basil and chamomile especially, they flourished in the heat and seem a little sad since it has become overcast haha but i'm sure when the sun comes back they'll only continue to grow. i'm especially excited to see my chamomile start producing flowers - i plan to dry them and use them in tea <3
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cheesecake. » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:05 pm

lesbian wrote:
        @cheesecake.
          glad to hear she's doing well, as for your cactus, there's always 3 things i suggest looking at to gauge what problems there might be with your plant: water, sunlight & disease are you watering enough/too much, it's generally quite difficult to under-water cacti, but if it is overwatered its roots may be drowning (you can take it out of the soil it's currently in, wipe as much off as possible and replace it into dry soil if this is the issue, it might put the plant into shock for a while, but they hate being wet more than they hate being moved), you already said light isn't an issue - but brown spots sometimes can be a sign of being burned (if it's not a disease or water issue, maybe try moving it around to see if the sun is maybe just a bit too intense where the plant is right now!) And then thirdly, it could be suffering from mites of some kind or another disease, carefully inspect the plant and it's soil to see if you can see any small moving insects and if you can move it away from your other plants asap so it's more difficult for the disease to spread and then use an insecticide (natural or unnatural, it's totally your choice!)

Well I did a bit of research and I believe it could either be sunburnt or overwatered. I realised that when I was watering the cactus, I allowed the soil to be soaked for quite a while which is bad for it and I feel awful because I had no clue D: The website that I was on said that I may have to cut the cactus roots or something, because it probably has "root rot" but I'm not exactly sure how I should go about doing that because I don't want to mess it up, so I guess I'll try and research it again. Luckily since my last post it hasn't spread anymore though, so it is hopefully a bit better than it was!!
┌─────┐

└─────┘
┌──────────────┐

hi! you can call me izzy.
birthday: 19th jan

i love photography, skz, day6,
marvel, anime & animals!

feel free to pm or trade c:

└──────────────┘

cheesecake.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Clarrissa » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 am

I only just came across this thread and I'm freaking out because I love plants so much ♡
Username: Clarrissa
Nickname{s}: Clara
Favourite plant: orchids, cacti
I have a bit of an orchid collection going right now, over ten phalaenopsis orchids, three dendrobiums and five oncidiums. I bought my first orchid two years ago and I've become sort of addicted to them lol. I have a bad habit of buying them at reduced prices from stores and trying to get them to bloom again. I also have seven cacti, some succulents, two christmas cacti, two elatior begonias and an african violet.
yeah, I probably have a problem
i love plants
ImageImageImage
Hi! I'm Clara
Feel free to message me any time or send me a trade c:
Thank you to toffee~ for drawing my cat Tadpole <3
and LarryTheDrunkLamp for the cute dog in the art above (:
I'm Christian and believe in God, Jesus Christ His Son and the Holy Spirit.
95% of teens won't stand up for God.
Put this in your sig if you are one of the 5% of teens who will.

Ostlea Lair
DC Scroll

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 31 people.
I have received 20 gifts.

Clarrissa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firefoxx01 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:07 am

@lesbian

Thank so much for the help! When I have time I’ll probably read through the article! Thanks again!

@Clarrissa

Welcome! And I don’t think you have a problem lol. I have a Birch tree, Maple tree, Gala Apple tree, some sort of sensitive plant that I can’t remember the proper name of rn, some Mexican Orange Flower, and two Avocado trees. Yet I still want a succulent, a catcus or two, a Venus Fly-Trap, honeycrisp tree, strawberry plant, watermelon plant, blueberry bush, and a pine tree!
70% of the world think warrior cats is stupid. 25% say who cares. Repost if you are part of that 5% that would take a hard cover warrior cat book and slap the other people saying, “STARCLAN IS OUT FOR REVENGE!!”
If I Don’t Respond To A PM Right Away, It’s Because My Anxiety Won’t Let Me Think Straight. Thank You For Your Patience!
Mood: Someone RP Albether with me please I’m begging you I’ll literally do anything

ImageImageImageImage
Firefoxx01

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:48 am

@Clarrissa
            welcome clara! an orchid collection doesnt sound like a bad thing haha! i bet they're all gorgeous <3 some people might think it's a problem but i think it's goals

@Foxxgloves
            welcome foxx (i love your username, foxgloves are such a pretty plant!) i'm pretty new to owning spider plants but from my experience they're quite resilient and dont mind the amount of light they're getting too much - though my ones in sunnier spots definitely are a lot happier haha

all of this to say, i think it'll be fine, just keep an eye on it! (it may go into shock and stop growing for a while, but i'll return to growing soon, don't worry!)

---

i hope you guys are enjoying the on-site event so far! i cannot express how excited i was when i saw the monstera leaves and the titan arum items haha; they're so pretty <3
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alpen » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Username: Alpen
Favourite plant: Devil's ivy, specifically marble queen
i love plants
Alpen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Clarrissa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:29 am

@Firefoxx01 it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one with a larger than average plant collection! Good luck with finding the other plants and trees you're interested in too, cacti and succulents are amazing <3

@lesbian thanks! Most of them are just growing leaves/roots/pseudobulbs at the moment but I have three phalaenopsis in bloom right now, x, x and x.
(apologies in advance for my phone's fail attempt at photography)
ImageImageImage
Hi! I'm Clara
Feel free to message me any time or send me a trade c:
Thank you to toffee~ for drawing my cat Tadpole <3
and LarryTheDrunkLamp for the cute dog in the art above (:
I'm Christian and believe in God, Jesus Christ His Son and the Holy Spirit.
95% of teens won't stand up for God.
Put this in your sig if you are one of the 5% of teens who will.

Ostlea Lair
DC Scroll

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 31 people.
I have received 20 gifts.

Clarrissa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:30 am

welcome alpen! devil's ivy is so pretty, i'm glad you mentioned it because i had never heard of it before!

absolutely no need to apologise clara, they're gorgeous! i especially love the middle phalaenopsis! ♥️

---

most of my plants are doing ok at the moment but here in scotland its been pretty warm so my chamomile has been suffering due to my bad watering schedule, i hope it'll recover but im not unduly worried since i think it's an annual anyway, i'll just try again next year haha
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shoe. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Rest In Peace Apples, eaten alive. 2017-2018
https://sta.sh/2bzj01fvxvj
Im Shoe.!
I'm good at stuff

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
...............art by: PeanutButterRum
Shoe.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shoe. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Foxxgloves wrote:@shoe.
oh no, who ate him??

I’m pretty sure they were fungus gnats, there were tiny black bugs swarming him. I noticed a couple a few weeks ago but didn’t think much of it. This morning I checked on him and he was hollow. Next time I will know better, but for the time being I’m not getting another cactus until I’m emotionally ready :’)
Im Shoe.!
I'm good at stuff

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
...............art by: PeanutButterRum
Shoe.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me