Ranger's Roundhouse

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Which was your favourite?

The third fragment (Zappy)
No votes
The fourth fragment (Snow-fang)
No votes
Stars
10%
Roses
No votes
Genealogy
30%
The sci-fi/action piece
10%
Kill or be Killed
20%
A Kingdom in Shards
10%
The Jumanji fanfiction
10%
Other (let me know! :.D)
10%

Total votes : 10

Re: Ranger's Roundhouse

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Krenko wrote:Yessssssss.

I love how the stories connect. XD
XD thanks! :D
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm

25/03/18

[He] is deception. Sometimes the cold
    cunning that manipulates others for his
    own gain, and sometimes the I’m fine that
    couldn’t possibly be further from the truth.

He is grief of many levels. The nagging ache
    of homesickness that waxes and wans with
    the turn of the seasons. The pain and guilt of
    knowing he never told those he loves most that
    he loves them, the last time they met. The dark
    stains on his hands that no one can see but will
    never be cleaned.

He is laughter, aching and strong. Swapping frowns
    for smiles and tears for jokes. Disguising heavy anger
    with light words of falsehood. Speaking words that
    taste like sand on his tongue, words that restrain and
    deny the grief he doesn't deserve to ease.

He is laughter, cheerful and true, dispelling fears and
    uplifting the downcast.

He is the viewer, the perceiver, the observer.

He is human.
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 pm

xxxxxWhen he was six months old and the world was a network of caves that unfolded like a blossom beneath his claws, and he was too innocent to understand how twisted and ugly the world could be, the little dragon escaped.
xxxxxIt wasn’t far, of course. He was too young for that. But for him it was enough.
xxxxxWith a sidekick watching his back and adventure in his heart, he made his way through the mountain’s winding tunnels unobserved, and suddenly the big wide world spread like a painting below his rock, and his jaw almost dropped from the cliff.
xxxxxIt was beautiful. A storm hung low to the horizon, lightning flickering in a deadly dance from cloud-to-cloud or cloud-to-tree. The forest burned golden-green below against the dark rock of the mountain, and his eyes grew and grew — and grew — until he thought they would surely swallow the world whole. Glistening spears flew from the clouds’ swollen mass, and the dying sun burnt hotter than the brightest fire.
xxxxxHe couldn’t breathe. Oxygen stuck fast in the chest that would one day bring roaring infernos to life in a single breath, and he gasped.
xxxxxLater, after the two had snuck back furtive as thieves, the blinding image of the World refused to be dimmed. It seared his brain like a hot coal, haunted his dreams as he slept, and flared to life in all its beautiful, blazing glory when he blinked.
xxxxxIt was love at first sight and would not be denied.
xxxxxFinally, desperately, after what seemed weeks of restless nights and empty days, he tore through the picture-archives. Plants, animals, monsters, rocks — he tossed them aside like offal. Astrology, winged creatures, beasts of the sea — he would have torn them up with eager claws had there not been repercussions.
xxxxxAt last he found it — treasure, at least to a mind of few adventures and fewer months. A simple illustration in a scroll titled ‘Storms’ — although the scrawl was meaningless to him. Clouds loomed mountain-high, hugging the earth desperately with blinding white fingers. Two words wound flower-quaint beneath the image, and the hatchling’s heart leapt.
xxxxxEagerly, he dragged the page to one much older than him, one bleached of colour and near featureless, but unique inside.
xxxxxShe didn’t understand him at first, until he was ready to incinerate the page with frustration — if only his tongue would obey! But at last:
xxxxx“Ah!” He would remember the way she spoke to the day of his death. “That’s a storm, my pet.”
xxxxxHe crowed wildly, nearly flipping over his tail in sheer delight. Moon, his nest-sister, stumbled back in alarm. With trembling gestures, he made the mentor-under-the-mountains understand that that was who he wanted to be — that it was who he was.
xxxxxHe would be able to keep the reminder of his first outside experience close to his heart forever.
xxxxx“Are you sure? But small one, you’re so young,” she protested doubtfully, at first reluctant to concede. But the little dragon was adamant and the little dragon was stubborn and he refused to back down.
xxxxxFinally, she sighed and conceded, and lay on the floor beside the smaller colourless ones to examine their book. She laughed softly at the rapt attention on their faces.
xxxxx“These ones here? They’re clouds,” she explained with one claw. “They make lightning.”
xxxxx“Lie-ng!” Moon exclaimed happily. It was fun to say.
xxxxx“Yes, baby one — zap-boom!” The hatchlings giggled, and she flexed her claws suggestively. They danced out of reach, nearly tripping over their own snouts and tails as giggles poured out in ceaseless waves.
xxxxx“Zappityzap — kaboom!” She leapt, tail lashing, and caught one to tickled him relentlessly for a moment or two.
xxxxx“Zappityboom!” Unfurling her wings in one lightning-fast movement, she flew across the otherside of the room and snagged the other, dragging her to the ground and tickling for all she was worth.
xxxxx“Zappy-zap!” He squealed in excitement, and scuttled across the room as fast as his stubby legs would go to tackle the larger dragon.
xxxxxHe never forgot that day. When he saw the NoColour he zappy-zaped explosively, and when the notion struck him with Moon, he zappy-zaped and tickled — but that never ended well. He took to ambushing other dragons in the caves, bursting from hiding with an ear-splitting, “Zappy-zap!”
xxxxxSurrounded by little ones who didn’t know any better, and big ones who didn’t care, he soon became known as simply Zappy, and ‘Storm’ was soon forgotten.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 am

The first fragment — Flare
xxxxxShe was a dragon with fire in her eyes and flames on her claws. She was fire with hot blood running through living veins and she was fierce and she was a predator and she was beautiful.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:53 am

Very poetic and makes a great introduction for the character.
^-^

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:25 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Very poetic and makes a great introduction for the character.
^-^
Thank you so much! Glad you liked it :D
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:03 pm

The second fragment — Moon
xxxxxShe was dark and light in a never-ending battle; she was stars gleaming hope in the blackest of night, and she was the dark ash of depression on a sun-kissed day. She was blood and she was fury and she was regret and she was strength and she was love and she was true.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Krenko » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:36 pm

The fragments are beautifully written. A wonderful introduction for a character!

The one with Zappy is so adorable. XD
doot doot
Krenko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Marking for later.

I read the one you sent directly to the inklings and honestly I screamed.
Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Krenko wrote:The fragments are beautifully written. A wonderful introduction for a character!

The one with Zappy is so adorable. XD
Thanks so much! :D

Haha, glad you think so! CX

Flame Alchemist wrote:Marking for later.

I read the one you sent directly to the inklings and honestly I screamed.
Yeeey, thanks! cx

Wait, which one? XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me