Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:47 am

@Shadow~Wolf: SO CUTE!!! I love Lucky, you are making great progress with him! Good luck with the training

Hi, I have a question for this thread
We might get a dog in the summer but for right now heres my question:
How do you make a good first impression on a dog?? Whenever we get a dog they never seem to like me that much! My mom doesn't even like dogs but they always love her a lot. So what do I have to do?
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 am

BudgieLover5000 wrote:@Shadow~Wolf: SO CUTE!!! I love Lucky, you are making great progress with him! Good luck with the training

How do you make a good first impression on a dog?? Whenever we get a dog they never seem to like me that much! My mom doesn't even like dogs but they always love her a lot. So what do I have to do?

Be the one that takes care of them. Feed them, walk them, train them, let them sleep in your bed, etc.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:14 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
BudgieLover5000 wrote:@Shadow~Wolf: SO CUTE!!! I love Lucky, you are making great progress with him! Good luck with the training

Be the one that takes care of them. Feed them, walk them, train them, let them sleep in your bed, etc.

Oh that's all? I can do that stuff except for the bed thing, my mom won't allow that. Also if I give them a treat when I walk in the house from school, is that ok? Is it cheating?
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 am

^^ "cheating" ... no, not at all. You can feed your dog treats, your not cheating or anything. Just be careful the amount of treats you give the dog, as it can quickly lead to weight-gain if they're given a whole ton. And make sure they're proper dog treats, not like table-scraps or human food, that's bad for the dog.

If you want the dog to like you just spend time with them! Make sure your the dogs main care-giver. You should be the one who plays with the dog, and teaches it tricks ect. Not to say the rest of your family can't be nice to the dog or play with them. But if you want to get the dog to like you, you should be the primary care-giver.
    Also try... not to be obnoxious (I guess) to the dog. If it's sleeping, let it sleep. Don't try to pester it while it's trying to rest, and don't hover around it when it's eating. Also educate yourself on dog body-language so you can tell the signs if your stressing the dog out with what your doing so you know when to stop.

As a kid I was always so mad about how our old dog would absolutely love my mom, but never really liked me. He tolerated me, but he didn't show a whole lot of love and affection for me. Part of that I realize now boiled down to how I treated him. I was a kid, and didn't know proper boundaries or anything about the stress-signs of a dog, I'd pester him and bug him alot when he slept or ate. I'd also smother him with affection, by hugging him and really encroaching on his space, which alot of dogs don't like. I probably missed alot of tell-tale stress signs like him yawning or licking his mouth during that.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm

BudgieLover5000 wrote:
Imzadi83 wrote:

Oh that's all? I can do that stuff except for the bed thing, my mom won't allow that. Also if I give them a treat when I walk in the house from school, is that ok? Is it cheating?

It's not cheating, but I wouldn't give them a treat just as you walk in. You don't want to encourage jumping up or separation anxiety.

I agree with what RebelliousWinter said in regards to learning and respecting dog body language.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Oh I see
Thank you for this information you guys were very helpful!
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby plecostomus enjoyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm

my chance is a really big snuggler, but he always takes up more than half of my twin bed. he likes to spread out and i have to scoot him over to make room for myself. but i cant imagine sleeping without his loud doggie snoring, and he's basically a big heater.
hi im luce! im a disabled adult player. my pronouns are it/it/itself and hy/hym/hyr.
i love fish and i have two dogs, a border collie mix named rosie and a hound named chance!
all my pets, items and c$ can be traded in exchange for lorwolf and flight rising currency
plecostomus enjoyer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

fixation wrote:
my chance is a really big snuggler, but he always takes up more than half of my twin bed. he likes to spread out and i have to scoot him over to make room for myself. but i cant imagine sleeping without his loud doggie snoring, and he's basically a big heater.

LOL, I'm thankful Chloe doesn't snore. I don't think I could take it when I have a migraine. Chloe hogs the bed too, she likes her half out of the middle, lol. I have a full bed and I'm amazed at how much room a 12 pound dog can take up when she puts her mind to it. Sometimes I move her and sometimes I just cling to the edge :P
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm

BudgieLover5000 wrote:Oh I see
Thank you for this information you guys were very helpful!

Good luck with your pup!
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm

So my friend went to the hospital yesterday because she started labor.

Tyler, my moms dog, made a habit of laying underneath her belly and when she went into moms room and laid on the bed, she was making what honestly sounded like “hurt puppy noises”
So my moms dog starts freaking out because the pregnant one is making pained sounds

Skip forward a few hours and we’re at the hospital. She’s been admitted and they’re delivering the baby.

All goes well, mom and baby are healthy, so my mom and I go home at like 4 am. I’ve been awake since 10 am testerday morning. Tyler sees us and goes to the door to look for my friend. She’s staying at the hospital and my moms dog is super unhappy about that. He’s checking the door every so often thinking she’s going to stroll in like nothing is wrong.

Man this dog isn’t going to leave her side unless he absolutely needs to when she comes home 😂
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me