{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey, Bloom, welcome along! Good to see ya here c: I had a suggestion for the second idea, as to why they'd let her explore? It makes sense that the uncle would try to manipulate her, so if she gets arrested she could well think the CIA are the bad-guys; letting her explore etc. could be a way of trying to convince her that they're really not so bad, or something like that? But besides that, she's only twelve years old; kids need exercise, maybe that could even be an excuse? XD
Good luck! Hope I helped c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 am

Hey, Bloom! Welcome to the party.

I definitely like the first idea, since it seems a lot more thought-out than the second one, though both are pretty interesting. What with the whole "going places with guards" thing, I bet you could make it for exercise, like Ranger said. Or perhaps the CIA's goings-on are a lot more transparent to the public in your story than they are in reality, and the public wouldn't exactly like to see a little girl kept in a cell forever against her will for a minor offense, so they take her out to sort of placate the public. Or maybe they take her out places (e.g., ice cream) to try and calm her down/get her to let her guard down, so they can extract information more easily? Whatever you end up doing, it sounds pretty cool.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:16 pm

b]Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?[/b]
      Hm, yes, I believe so..
      Tui T. Sutherland being a main one - her series Wings of Fire is truly quite inspirational and I like to try to imitate her style of writing sometimes c:

In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?
      Alright, alright. I'm sorry. I still haven't finished my CampNano story from July.. so I can't tell you any sPoiLeRs! But it's a planet from outer space that humans only found out about recently. It has five dragon kingdoms, each different elements... I'M SORRY BUT I REFUSE TO SAY ANY MORE UNTIL I FINISH WRITING

leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 am

Can anyone help me with some English homework?

Got points marked off for not being in present tense (requirement), but am not sure how to fix the line to make it present tense.

Her mine is a cup overflowing with frantic cries to be noticed.

She crossed out "is" and wrote stay in present tense.

Help?
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:00 am

rose.bloom wrote:Can anyone help me with some English homework?

Got points marked off for not being in present tense (requirement), but am not sure how to fix the line to make it present tense.

Her mind is a cup overflowing with frantic cries to be noticed.

Help?

Huh? Um, I'm no expert on the rules of grammar, but "is"...is in present tense? Maybe ask her about it. Good luck with your paper! (Also, just some unrelated advice: try adding a comma after "her mind is a cup"; it'll help break up the sentence)
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soccerali9 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Help?

try something closer to
"The cup of her mind overflows with desperate cries for attention"

It might be a problem with passive tense (?) where the object of the sentence is described rather than acting. (whoops that didn't make sense) I'm not entirely sure if that's what your teacher meant, but its something I frequently got marked off for.

Other explanation: passive versus active tense is the difference between "Our troops defeated the enemy" (active) and "The enemy was defeated by our troops" (passive)

Usually it can be fixed by a bit of reordering of the sentence. Try reading it out loud or "explaining" the meaning of your sentence out loud to fix it. Normally, explaining the meaning of a phrase/sentence will help your argument/meaning become clearer.

Hope that made sense and somewhat helps.
Side note: I am not an English prof or an author, but I love writing and usually have fairly accurate grammar. But don't take my word as law as I am quite fallible.
                  I love giving gifts so PM me if you know a deserving user (;
                  Currently watching: NCIS, Star Trek Voyager
                  I love wolves and dragons ♥

soccerali9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Help?
She might want 'was'? It's not present-tense, but maybe one of you got confused along the way? c: *shrugs*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Help?

Perhaps your teacher wants you to fix the "to be noticed" part? Maybe something like "Her mind is a cup overflowing with frantic cries that want to be noticed" or "pushing to be noticed" or something along those lines.

--

I wrote something for the first time in months today and I actually like it a lot. It was a great feeling. :)

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Greenleaf wrote:I wrote something for the first time in months today and I actually like it a lot. It was a great feeling. (:
Oh, that's always an amazing feeling :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Wow hello nerds, this thread has been pretty dead lately. I take some of the blame for that, idk when the last time I posted here was :<
I have a question for you all. It's pretty applicable to my current real life situation so I'd appreciate your answers/advice

Code: Select all
[b]How do you make time for writing when you're busy with other things?[/b]

I haven't written anything substantial in...probably two or three months, since classes started back up. I'm in class four days a week, then studying and doing homework on my off days, plus volunteering and soon I'll be starting a new job. Whenever I have free time I usually don't feel like doing anything that takes too much brainpower, so I just watch YouTube or play vid games or something.
This is pretty hypocritical for me to ask because in the past, when people have sought advice here about to get out of writing ruts, I've usually responded with "just write", lol. But maybe some of y'all have different advice, and marginally better time management skills than I do.

Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me