* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby MapleNeko » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 pm

My two parrots love things they can tear apart as toys, *ie playing cards strung together, toiler paper rolls, get creative*
also i've seen alot of budgies that adore those plastic little dingy cat ball bell toys
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey! I dont own a bird, but I have a question.
I am going to live in a small dorm by myself next semester that will allow one pet. I am interested in a few things, one being a bird.
However, I would like a fairly quiet bird. Preferably a type of parrot (parakeet cockatiel conure etc) I have also never owned a bird so nothing too difficult.
What is a good bird for a small space that wont be too noisy? I have heard cockatiels are good, just want to hear from you guys. :)
I would also want it to be able to come when called and be relatively potty trained (so the room doesnt get 'messy')
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Crum wrote:Hey! I dont own a bird, but I have a question.
I am going to live in a small dorm by myself next semester that will allow one pet. I am interested in a few things, one being a bird.
However, I would like a fairly quiet bird. Preferably a type of parrot (parakeet cockatiel conure etc) I have also never owned a bird so nothing too difficult.
What is a good bird for a small space that wont be too noisy? I have heard cockatiels are good, just want to hear from you guys. :)
I would also want it to be able to come when called and be relatively potty trained (so the room doesnt get 'messy')
Rosa bourkes are pretty good? They're quiet, peaceful birds that get along with most other birds c: However, mine seems to often get a bit lonely, even while being in an aviary with other birds, so if you're interested I'd suggest either getting two, or making sure you can spend lots of time with him/her. c: They're like budgies (same size, look similar and stuff) but a lot calmer; most of their noise is cute little whistles 'round dusk and dawn. c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Crum wrote:Hey! I dont own a bird, but I have a question.

Honestly I wouldn't reccomend any sort of parrot in your current position. I've owned Quakers, conures and known people who owned cockatiels- all could be VERY loud. Even "quiet" breeds can be loud, it depends a lot on the individual bird. Additionally, there's honestly no way to get around the messiness of a parrot, especially in a small space. Even if you were to potty train the bird it still is likely to throw seed, produce dust and just generally be messy. Not all birds will come when called either, again it depends on the bird and requires intensive training.
Sorry, I know this probably isn't very helpful D: I just wanna impress that getting a parrot is a really really life changing decision, they're like loud, messy little toddlers that require so, so much work to stay happy and healthy. Ultimately I don't know if it's the right time for you to bring a parrot into your life, but obviously that's all up to you!!!
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm

The only birds ive ever been able to find around me are parakeets, cockatiels, and conures, so I dont think I could get a 'Rosa bourke' or anything too exotic. Also, I would only like to have one (my friend has 2 parakeets and they only like eachother and hate her, plus its more work.. i just want one XD) And yeah I understand every bird is different. I dont mind it making noise during the day I just dont want it screeching at night. It doesnt need to be completely silent. As long as it is fairly quiet when its time for bed and doesnt annoy the crap out of my neighbors. I have a fish tank that has some pretty loud filters and air pumps so some noise isnt a big deal. Can it be trained to quiet down when you tell it to? I would train it quite a bit so if that is possible then that would be added to the list.
Making a mess with seed, feathers and dust isnt a big deal, as that can generally just be cleaned with a vacuum or rag. I just dont want its 'other' messes around the room or on my clothes haha
I would like to have a small parrot sometimes soon. I really want either a gray parrot or cockatoo at some point but would like experience with a smaller, easier bird first. I definitely dont mind the work that comes along with the bird though, I have plenty of free time and one of the biggest reasons I would like a pet is to have something to care for and love.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Well, how about a budgie? I'd say they're good starter birds, and they typically don't get as loud as cockatiels or conures can.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Yeah ive thought about that. I just have bad experience with them because of my friends. They dont let anyone touch them and they cant be let out. I want it to basically live out of the cage and sit next to me whenever im in the room and awake. Also they seem less trainable from what i have seen. I dunno.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:10 pm

That depends on a lot of factors, including how the bird was trained, it's general disposition and personal preferences, etc. that same risk applies with any other breed of parrot. Just like a budgie might not want to be touched, the same could happen for a cockatiel, Quaker, etc
I don't know what you mean by less trainable. Again, that varies from bird to bird.
Do you maybe have anywhere in your area where you could volunteer with birds? It could give you an idea of what breed would suit you best
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:15 pm

No unfortunately my university is literally in the middle of no where and doesnt have much. There is an animal shelter but they only have dogs and cats. I have had chickens so I suppose that is some bird experience xD Maybe this summer I will go to some of the locally owned pet shops in my hometown and talk to them.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:18 pm

I think that sounds like a really good idea :) hopefully they can help you out!! I hope I didn't come off as weirdly pushy or anything lol, bird ownership is just such a touchy subject for me since I see so many people throw it around lightly and not realize that birds are a big commitment (not that I think you're doing that, I actually think it's really awesome you're doing your research!!!).
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me