BWSDA Baltic Qualifier

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

BWSDA Baltic Qualifier

Postby canis, » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am

_______________________________________________________________________________________
adoptionbreedingkennel clubarchivebankartist threaditem log
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Baltic Qualifier! This event will test the will of both yourself and your dogs, but the rewards are
worth the harships. Please read below for the rules and further information on the event.

Staff wrote:canis, - owner
ShadyBro - owner
Folmes - artist
Eremite - artist
aray17 - bank teller
SergeantWinter - archivist
Rules wrote:• All BWSDA rules apply
• Do not complain about a random event; they are generated by a random
generator so there will be no sort of bias involved
• All quests must be completed to the standard in order to qualify for
the reward
• Do not steal ideas, writing, art, etc.
Last edited by canis, on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canis,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Qualifier Guidelines

Postby canis, » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am

Entry wrote:Your entry into the event is arguably the most important part. If you don't enter by the deadline below, you cannot participate in this event. To enter, PM me the form below with the title "BWSDA Baltic Qualifier Entry." All messages without that title will be ignored, as they will not go the the correct folder.

Deadline: January 27, 2016

Code: Select all
[b]Username;[/b]
[b]Dog/s Entering:[/b] (this can be one, a few, or all Baltic Huskies owned)

Quests wrote:Once you have successfully entered the qualifier, you can wait for me to post on this thread. Once I post that the race has begun, you may begin posting. This event will work as though you are a musher that is keeping logs of your experiences in the race. The quality of each log will determine how far you advance. Listed below is the criteria that will be used to judge log entries. There should be only one log entry per post. Please use the format below when posting your logs.

+100 miles - a single paragraph log entry with basic literacy
+200 miles - a multiparagraph log entry with advanced literacy
+300 miles - a multiparagraph log entry with advanced literacy + one art piece of good+ quality

[b]Miles Completed:[/b]
[b]Past Log Entries:[/b] (provide links to all log entries and their numbers here)
[b]Random Events:[/b] (provide links to all random events pertaining to your dog/s here)
[b]Vet Check:[/b] (link to vet check post once you have passed 1,000 miles)
[b]Log Entry #___:[/b] (type current log entry here)

Vet Checks wrote:Once you hit 1,000 miles, your dog/s will go through a vet check. The vet will examine each of your dogs and give you a diagnosis for each of them. There will be several different diagnosis (selected by a random generator) that the vet may give you about each dog. Some of the diagnosis will be beneficial and add stats to a dog, some will not change the dog, and others may subtract stat points from the dog (these will be rarer and will only take 0-3 points off of a stat). When you are ready for a vet check, please post the following form. Vet checks cannot be skipped, or you will be disqualified from the event.

[b]I am ready for a vet check![/b]
[b]Dogs:[/b] (list all dogs that you have entered into the event here)

How Do I Win? wrote:The Baltic Qualifier is a 2,000 mile race. To win, you must complete quests until you have reached 2,000 miles. The first player to finish will get first place, the second will get second place, and so on. All players who enter and finish the race will receive a participation prize.

First Place
+ 15 on all of a chosen dog's stats
Choice of 2 items from the Bank
50 bells

Second Place
+ 10 on all of a chosen dog's stats
Coice of 1 items from the Bank
50 bells

Third Place
+ 10 on all of a chosen dog's stats
50 bells

Participation Prize
+ 5 on all of a chosen dog's stats
10 bells
canis,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: BWSDA Baltic Qualifier

Postby Thelastsilhouette » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Miles Completed: 0-200 miles(hopefully)
Past Log Entries: n/a
Random Events: n/a
Vet Check: Not available yet
Log Entry #___: 1

The Beginning:

A ball of nerves, Lucky and I. We prepared for the start of the race, nervous about it, being our first and seeing that a few of the other entrants had up to eight dogs on their teams and us as we are. Lucky is a strong dog, he's got a fighter's spirit. As soon as the race started he showed it by taking off just as fast and with as much enthusiasm as any of the other dogs and sledders there. Even daring to pass some of the slower dogs up with a flourish of his tail as if he was waving to them. He's held up well through the first couple hundred miles, we changed speeds to conserve his energy, Rome wasn't built in a day. There's plenty more miles to go in this race and we need to show that we have the strategy to stay in this.
We were passed by easily by the bigger teams of dogs when we slowed up, Lucky was a struggle to keep control of. As good a sled dog as he is he's been bitten by a competitive bug that's keeping him pumped and ready to sprint. I doubt he even knows what this is, a race, what's it mean to a dog? All he knows is he wants to keep running.
Even jogging he shows a want to keep up with the faster dogs and keeps his eyes focused on them when they pass by. He wants to run with them so bad but we still need to keep it easy. The other teams ahead of us will help pack down some of the loose snow so when we get to it we'll have an easier time of it. Let the faster dogs plow through the loose stuff and waste their energy trying to be number one throughout the race, we'll take our time. We ended the first day with a good feeling, Lucky looks about ready to keep going. He's eyeballing the sled, ready to continue on but we need to rest first.
Thelastsilhouette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

BWDSA Baltic Qualifier → solK [001]

Postby cujo. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Miles Completed: none
    Past Log Entries: none
    Random Events: none
    Vet Check: halfway point to come
    Log Entry #001:
LOG ENTRY #001
              01. 02. 17.
              07:30 - 00:30

Getting ten dogs up, ready to go and comfortable in less than two hours while also leaving yourself a little wriggle room on time in reaching your destination in case of bad traffic is hard but it's doable with a little practice (and a working alarm clock somewhere you can't throw it against a wall to get it to be quiet.)
Most of the older huskies are happy enough when they see the van, knowing it means something fun involving training or a race in going down. A few of the younger solK born pups seem a bit confused at being woken up an hour and a half earlier than usual, standing and turning and pressing their noses against the front of their cages while some of the older dogs lie straight down to snooze or bark excitedly at the prospect of a good run.
Final checks done, and we can finally get on the move.

Traffic is light, and we only have to make two stops to let the dogs relieve themselves, so we pull into the Qualifier with some time to spare like we had hoped we would; letting the dogs have a bit of time to stretch their legs after the ride over. Solstice, of course, eagerly pulls my brother - our driver - over to my sister and the waiting sled, eager as ever to get into the harness. The good thing about having siblings in the business; you never have to worry about getting everything done yourself. There's a great variation in the sizes of the teams around us, which is interesting to see. The more social of our dogs, though namely Osric and Merida, get pretty excited at seeing so many fellow huskies and it takes offering them some play time with their favourite toys to keep them occupied as we run our final checks over the sled and harnesses, as well as supplies.

Solstice and Osric take their position as the lead dogs, with Modica and Merida taking theirs as the wheel dogs. Spooky practically has herself in her harness, shaking with excitement to be on the move. For the Qualifier, with it being the younger two solK pups first taste at being a BWDSA race dog, I'd decide to pair them with a more experienced dog. Celyn and Hermione behind the leads, Spooky and Harlow taking the middle pair, and Milo and Bucky taking position in front of the wheel dogs.

There's no feeling on earth like taking off the with dogs, truly. Feeling their pure strength as we take off. They start out a tad too fast in their enthusiasm, Osric - saint otterlake's quickest dog - has always been quite competitive and excitable, which is why he's paired off with Solstice, who helps calm him down and hold back to find an easy pace the entire team can work with. Hopefully conserving his energy - and therefore, everyone else's - now will pay off towards the end of the race.

With it being quite long distance, I decided beforehand to work a schedule of two hours of running with two hour or hour-and-half breaks in between after the initial few hours while we work out a pace that works for everyone. With the 2-2 hour schedule, by 00:30 of the first day, we should have just somewhere in around 110 miles. Happy with our progress, I settle the dogs for the night to take our longest break of four hours for a little shut eye and to check the dogs over. Bucky, the second youngest dog of the team, curls practically on my lap. He's not a massive fan of the dark. At least he's not trying a Spooky on it and disappearing for panicky two hours on her first outing.

02. 02. 17.
              04:30 -

I manage to wake up time, surrounded by my dogs, with Bucky still draped on top of me, and though a little groggy I manage to get through the checks and get the dogs ready while also managing to stay on schedule, even with a bit of fumbling in the mostly dark. Osric is a bit more controlled as we start today, still eager, and the team keeps up a nice pace. Though I'm tempted to keep running, I stick to the plan and stop them as the two hour mark rolls over as the first light of dawn breaks in the sky.

The layout of the team is working out nicely. The younger members of the team are mostly on their best behaviour, eager to pull and run and the race is going smoothly. They're not quite as inclined to rest as the older dogs are during the breaks at first, which has me worried for a bit; a team only runs as fast as it's slowest member, after all. But they're young, and manage to keep pace while they learn that resting is a great thing to do besides eating during the stops. I alternate between naps after the dogs are cared for, eating myself, and writing the log.
By the way things are looking, we should be hitting the first checkpoint today!

{ooc - i may have gotten a little into how actual mushers rest their dogs during races and couldn't resist trying to write something accordingly. oops.
cujo.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby canis, » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:45 pm

토리코 - Entry accepted. You have progressed 200 miles. Below is your random event.
    Your dog, Lucky, has had a sudden burst of energy. He has gained +2 speed to his stats.

cujo. - Entry accepted. You have progressed 200 miles. Below is your random event.
    You dog, Modica, has learned to control their pace and energy output. She had gained +3 stamina to her stats.
canis,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thelastsilhouette » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Miles Completed: 200 so far
Past Log Entries: Log #1
Random Events: Lucky gains +2 speed
Vet Check: N/A
Log Entry #___: 2

Keeping up:

Second day of our journey and Lucky has been doing well, not showing any sign of soreness or fatigue. This race might be too much for one dog to handle but then maybe not. I'm still feeling pretty confident with the amazing willingness that Lucky is showing as he pulls the sled with eagerness. The miles slowly pass as we take day two with a back and forth of running and walking to conserve as much energy and to keep Lucky from wearing himself out too soon. I think we're making good time compared to the other teams with many more dogs, keeping up with them is quite an accomplishment, following the trails left by faster teams made it easier for us.
We followed a team of six dogs pretty easily through some of the still deep snow, their struggle through the snow cleared our path. Left panting vigorously while Lucky and I kept up at an easy jog with them.
I'm sure the other sledder knew what I was doing by choosing to follow them rather than make my own path, as Lucky and I passed them by easily in a place where the snow was better packed. We left the team of six behind, choosing to pick up speed and get more distance after staying with them for a couple slow miles.
We had caught up to a couple more sled teams when we got close to our final couple miles of the day, they looked worn out and had snow clinging to their fur like burrs. They had probably had to plow through some of the snow as well. Lucky and I had gotten off easy and barely struggled much today, pulling into the checkpoint we happily shrugged off the sled and harness, ready to stretch and relax and prepare for the next part of the journey.
Thelastsilhouette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

BWDSA Baltic Qualifier → solK [002]

Postby cujo. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:26 am

Miles Completed: 200 miles
    Past Log Entries: 001
    Random Events: modica +3 stm
    Vet Check: 800 more miles
    Log Entry #001:
LOG ENTRY #002
              02. 02. 17.
              14:30 - 02:30

The team is running better today, now that they've settled down after the immediate excitement and figured out their pace.
Celyn got a bit moody when it was time to start off again after we took out first break following the 200 mile checkpoint; snapping at Hermione - who's still a bit giddy in the harness when it comes to taking off - jumped into her. We're still working our sprint team, but in our practices Celyn usually gets partnered with an older dog; she's probably sulking at having to teach a young dog the ropes.

Our wheel dogs, Modica and Merida, are running particularly beautifully together. They're a match made in heaven, honestly - and a pretty handsome pair to look at. Modica can be a bit timid at times - we don't call him Scooby at the kennel for nothing - but he's brightened up since Merida's arrival and it's showing when the team is running too; his pacing is much better than it used to be, when he would try to push himself too hard.

Their first pup, the giddy at times Hermione, was true surprise in the way of her looks and personality, so far it's looking like she's going to be well suited to the position of swing dog; as she grows out of her puppyish tendencies it's becoming apparent that her bossy attitude and tenacity is excellent at keeping other dogs in line when running. The Qualifier is a wonderful opportunity to learn where the younger solK dogs work best in a team; Harlow is showing promise as a possible lead for the sprint team, and Bucky as a partner for Milo as a wheeler on the sprint team.

As we break for two hours as we pass another fifty miles, I take a brief nap after giving the dogs their food. A few other teams pass us by in the meantime, but I'm not too bothered; I have faith in my team that we'll do well - and even if we don't place, it's been a learning experience at any rate.

The rest of the day is pretty normal. The two-hour run-break system looks like it's working well, the pups are really getting the hand of actually resting and eating in the cooldown periods which is a great help, and we're making excellent time. As we stop for the four-hour break, Bucky is immediately pressed to my side and refuses to budge; at least he's a warm blanket. Before I rest myself, I call Milo closer after he finishes eating. With his past - one of saint otterlake's rescue huskies - his old injuries can get stiff in the cold. He doesn't seem too bothered at the moment, but it's best to check him over and massage him whenever possible. Better to be safe than to be sorry.
cujo.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

BWSDA Baltic Qualifier - WTK Log#1

Postby razzberry » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Miles Completed: 0 - 200
    Past Log Entries: n/a
    Random Events: n/a
    Vet Check: *after 1,000 miles*
    Log Entry #___: 1

────────( LOG ENTRY : ONE )────────

The morning arrived with the promise of competitive nerves and anxious canines and it had pulled through with said promise as I fed and prepared Uno and Brios for the Baltic Qualifier that was beginning that day. Uno was more of an 'Alpha' than Brios was and the agouti pinto husky was more than content to follow Uno's lead, that was probably why the two males got along so soundly. A couple of teams had already started the race and I was beginning to grow nervous about our late start. My nerves had settled slightly when I noticed other teams were arriving around the time I had or even after me. It didn't faze me that I was competing with only two dogs compared to the majority of racers who had more than three dogs carrying them throughout the tundra. Fixing the two dog's into their harnesses was an easy task as they practically lived in them, turns out bribing them out of those things doesn't exactly work when they are so attached to them. After making sure I was prepared to set out, I gathered myself onto the back of the sled, chanting a few words under my breath before I gave Uno and Brios the signal. "Hike!" I called out and the two males instantly leapt into action. The sled was quite light, much to the pleasure of my two boys, it didn't make sense to use a heavy sled with only two dogs working to pull the thing.

The white, barren landscape abruptly rose into dense forest as we glided across the clearing where the starting line was and began the stretch through the forest. I would have to keep an eye on Brios because, as much of a trooper he was, he was also easily distracted when it came to other animals and in a forest it was quite difficult to avoid seeing a single animal. I leaned with the sled with each turn Uno and Brios took me around, all the while peering ahead of Uno's broad head to scout our path up ahead. The terrain had begun to incline slightly and before I knew it we were racing along a ledge of a considerably large mountain. I had faith in my boys when it came to ledge and cliffs because they had been through enough races to know how to safely traverse them. I kept my eyes ahead of Uno and grew nervous as I watched the ledge grow narrower up ahead. I pushed my heel down on the brake on the sled and Uno and Brios slowed their pace. As we began to glide along the narrowed path of the ledge, snow fell over the edge and I had to hold my breath when Uno's foot slipped on the slippery surface. Luckily, he regained his balance quickly enough and worked with Brios to carry the sled towards the other side where the ledge sloped down and fanned out into forest once again.

We traveled for about another solid hour and a half before we reached the first checkpoint. The terrain had changed previously from forest to barren white landscape again and the trek was quite smooth, both dogs working hard to reach the checkpoint. I stretched my limbs while the dogs were given water and I reminded myself to check their booties to make sure they hadn't slipped or ripped during the beginning of our race. So far things were running smoothly and I had a good feeling that this race was going to be one to remember!

razzberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm

(Late start whoops)
Miles Completed: 0
Past Log Entries: -
Random Events: -
Vet Check: Not there yet
Log Entry #1:
It was still pitch black outside, the sun many hours away from cresting the horizon. The world was still and silent as ever, but the air was tense thick with the static of excitement. I felt as if I was going to be sick thinking about the days to come. I push my front door open with a drawn out creak, and with this the howling begins. Dogs screaming excitement running circles around their houses, they could feel what was coming.

My first task was hooking up the trailer to the truck and backing it closer to the dogs. It was early, around 3:30 but I was full of energy. Before loading the dogs I needed to gather their equipment. Shuffling into the shed I looked through the dark till I found the harness draping over the wall in a mixture of colors and patterns. Digging through the assortment I picked out the eleven best harness I could find. Throwing them over my shoulder to free my hands I crouched down and began pushing through totes of other supplies. 11 sets of booties, 11 extra collars, and more than enough ganglines, shocklines, snublines, and snow hook lines added to the clutter I was balancing like a circus performer. Then expelling the jumble of the material onto the backseat of my old rusted up dark blue Ford I paused for a moment to gather my breath knowing the task that followed, loading the crazy hounds.

Slip lead in hand I walked over to collect my first dog, Ares. The dark copper brute danced in place as I slipped the lead over his head and unclipped him from his chain spot. A dark red freight train commanding me to the silver box hay filled trailer, the clever beast knew right where to go. Next was Acmes, my witty gray boy doing his best to elude my lead yearning to bolt for the wood . Virginia and Ophelia follow suit, sassy fluffy curls held proudly in the air like they knew how beautiful they were. Sherbet wasn't as enthused about her sleep being disrupted but groggily made her way to the warmth of the hay filling the trailer. Lorne remaining composed which was a rare sight during the excitement remained still to be looped and unclipped, the ebony dog always took it easy on me. Giants, Alpine, Ezio and Sinner each vibrated with energy and intensity as they dug their claws in the ground pulling themselves to the trailer. Lastly was young and inexperience Liadan. Confused and intimidated by the noise and sights she stayed low and close to her box. Taking pity on her I invited her into the truck cab, it was a long ride and the company would be nice.

The drive wasn't intolerable, roads were barren and weather was clear. Liadan road peacefully in the front seat watching trees pass in a blur till she was asleep. We pulled into the lot at 5:45am a large white and blue banned strung across the entrance Baltic Qualifier in large bold letters. The trucked slowed to a halt and the trailer begin to roar with howls, the dogs were awake and ready. Unhooking and lifting with strain my sled out of the bed of my truck I took a moment to remissness on the memories I had made with my grandfather and father with this very sled. It was the one I had learned on, my father learned on, and my grandfather had learned on. It wasn't the prettiest thing on earth but it got the job done.

Sled in place, snow hooks in the ground I began hooking up dogs. Ophelia taking lead, she was by far the best trained dog on my team. Acmes and Ares following as the swing dogs. Alpine and Liadan as the first team dogs, I figured pairing Liadan with the more experienced dogs would help better assure her of commands. Ezio and Virginia following them up, Ezio smart as ever took himself to his place. The last team dogs, Giants and Sinner, were a new test pairing. Is it a bad time to try out two dogs beside each other? Totally. But as my grandfather always said "There is no better time to learn than in the moment." and that is just what we were doing. Lorne and Sherbet took up the wheel position. Stepping back for a moment I assessed my team, confident with my decisions I made my way to the check in booth to confirm that my team was present and ready.

The air seemed still as a light snow began to fall. It was time to race. Double checking the zipper of the bag on my sled containing all my extra supplies I pulled the snow hook out of the ground and nearly felt the sled pull out from under me. A blur of colors as the dogs took off, snow flying like a blizzard. It was silent, no more barking dogs or talking people just the sound of a paws sitting the ground and a sled gliding through their trail. This was when I was most at peace, surrounded by hundreds of miles of nothing, just the dogs and myself.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby canis, » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:00 am

토리코 - Entry accepted. You have progressed 100 miles. Below is your random event.
    It has become obvious that Lucky is not enjoying all of this running. He has lost -1 stamina.

cujo. - Entry accepted. You have progressed 200 miles. Below is your random event.
    You can tell that Celyn has been pulling a bit more weight than your other dogs. She has gained +3 strength.

RazzBerry - Entry accepted. You have progressed 200 miles. Below is your random event.
    Your dog Brios has been working hard, and it looks to be paying off! He has gained +2 strength.

Eremite - Entry accepted. You have progressed 200 miles. Below is your random event.
    Oh no! Your dog Sinner managed to cut his paw pad on a sharp piece of ice. In addition to the normal journal entry, your next entry must also include a paragraph on how you cared for his injury.

Just a reminder that a paragraph is typically considered 7-10 well-written sentences.
canis,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me