*⋆ the valley

For roleplayers who want to write longer detailed posts using advanced language and grammar. Anyone can create a topic here, but joining these RPs is by application-only so that RP owners can control the literacy level they're comfortable with. All content must remain child-friendly at all times.

ii. leopardpaw

Postby Mezzo » Wed May 03, 2023 10:33 am

──────── ❀ 𝐋𝐄𝐎𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐏𝐀𝐖 ────────────────────────────────────────────────
medicine cat apprentice non-founder tags: rushpaw, nightsong, larkfrost mentions: sedgewhisker, ravenstar, eveningbriar word count: 915

Spurred on by her sage mentor’s affirmations - a celebration, how exhilarating was that! - and the equally vivacious Rushpaw’s antics, Leopardpaw was practically vibrating with the excitement of it all, olive green eyes sparkling with unfettered joy by the time Ravenstar began addressing all the cats gathered before him, whereupon she instantly settled herself alongside the others to give her undivided attention to their leader… or she tried to, at the very least.

What actually happened, instead, was the molly spending a good few heartbeats swiveling her head this way and that, searching the crowd for any signs of a familiar, prickly brown tabby, and when she’d given up on spotting Sedgewhisker, Rushpaw’s little monologue caught her notice and her ears immediately swiveled in his direction — not that it could be helped. Everything the younger apprentice was spouting off just sounded like so much fun and Leopardpaw, being Leopardpaw, wanted in! Hardly missing a beat, she leaned in conspiratorially when Rushpaw abruptly ceased his chatter (Did she notice Larkfrost sharply cutting him off? …No, not really.), lowering her voice to whisper, “If you were the leader, I could be your deputy. That way I can join you on all your adventures!” Nevermind that she was training to be a medicine cat and Rushpaw was moons away from becoming a warrior let alone leader, if ever — it was all in good fun anyway! There were still, erm, a few semantics of clan life and hierarchy that she did not fully comprehend… but she was working on it. Slowly but surely.

While she was temporarily distracted, Leopardpaw still made out some of the keywords in Ravenstar’s speech, like the mention of StarClan and his nine lives, and… something about the three old clans. She was back to full attention - for the most part - when he proudly proclaimed Eveningbriar to be their new deputy and, at the exultant outcry of the black she-cat’s name that followed, jumped to her paws to join in, cheering with her clanmates as loudly as she possibly could, “Eveningbriar! Eveningbriar! Eveningbriar!” Admittedly, she didn’t know the dark-furred warrior very well - most of her clanmates were still acquaintances at best to her, save for Nightsong and Sedgewhisker… and some of the other apprentices! It had only been about a moon since she’d joined up with this group, after all, so there was still plenty of time to change that - but if Ravenstar thought Eveningbriar was a good choice for deputy, then that had to account for something, surely? Uh, what traits did a deputy need for their duties, exactly? Hm. A quandary, that. Well, that was neither here nor there!

It was only when the chanting seemed to ebb away that Leopardpaw stopped and turned towards Nightsong, ever-eager to ask ‘what next?’ as she so often tended to do, reliant as she was on the older, wiser tom to guide her. Was that all? Were they expected to do any more to celebrate Eveningbriar’s - and Ravenstar’s - promotion, or was it back to business as usual? This was all entirely new territory to her and the other erstwhile outsiders, but as a proud and fully-fledged member of MoorClan, she wanted the complete experience!

However, seeing that Larkfrost was now speaking with her mentor - about what, Leopardpaw hadn’t the faintest idea. Try as she might to keep up with him, she was utterly oblivious to the worries and fears that plagued Nightsong, clinging to him like shadowy tendrils… it all kind of went over her head. Case in point: she’d managed to miss the fact that he wasn’t cheering for Eveningbriar, so engrossed was she in her own cheering. - and she didn’t want to interrupt the two of them in their… moment, whatever it was. Not long after, Rushpaw moved closer, probing her for her thoughts, and she considered his question momentarily, deep in thought as she mulled her brain over… well, anything Nightsong might have told her over the past few sunrises about being leader or deputy. Because of course, if anything, Nightsong knew what was what about clan life. He was their leader’s son, for StarClan’s sake, so he must be the resident expert on… everything!

“Hmm… I bet they do, but I’m not sure what! Ravenstar said he’d shared tongues with StarClan, right? That’s pretty impressive… so maybe Eveningbriar will be able to, too?” Now that sounded pretty powerful, if you asked Leopardpaw, especially considering how many of their clanmates had anticipated this ceremony, where Ravenstar earned his new name and met with their ‘warrior ancestors’, for so long. Technically, she understood that both she and Nightsong could also convene with StarClan given their positions as medicine cats (well, medicine cat and medicine cat-to-be!), but she wasn’t thinking too hard about that part at this point in her training. Besides, she had yet to actually meet any cat with stars in their fur in her dreams (though she bet Nightsong had plenty of times already, that’s just how cool he was), so for her, it was really something she would have to see in order to believe. “Do you really think Ravenstar has nine lives, though? I always thought that was an old kit’s tale. Maybe they blessed him with super strength… or maybe he can climb higher and run faster than any other cat now!” That sounded like something a leader ought to be able to do, right? Yeah, totally. She definitely knew what she was talking about.
Mezzo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me