The Age of Steam & Elegance (Accepting For New Roles!)

For roleplays featuring human or human-like characters which have inhuman abilities or live in an (original) fantasy world. E.g. vampires, shape-shifters, werewolves. However this category does not include roleplays based on existing fandoms such as Twilight or Harry Potter

The Age of Steam & Elegance (Accepting For New Roles!)

Postby Consulting_Angel » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:19 am

The city of Volimire, the centre of a country powered by steam. Mercenaries, merchants, socialites, blacksmiths and more live and work in the industrial cities. And all are overseen by a Council of Elders, each having their own district and sub-council, headed by a Consul. While things are mostly peaceful, to say that there aren't any enemies to the Council - or, simply, those that aren't particularly fond of them - would be a lie. Enter Dr. Emil Lazarus. A famous scientist and inventor, once revered and loved, some of his inventions - such as his record player that can switch between three records without the user needing to manually switch them, and particularly his work in creating mechanical replacements for limbs that have been lost or badly damaged - still in use today. No one is quite sure what made him change - perhaps it was the constant unappreciation for his efforts, or a chemical experiment gone wrong - but what is known is that Dr. Emil Lazarus has published paragraphs of rantings about how he could run the country better than the Council, how there are conspiracies that the public aren't being told, and that everyone will find out sooner than later that he has been sent to rule over the people because of his superior intellect and creations.

Most of it went ignored, dismissed as being harmless ramblings by a disillusioned scientist, whose fame and reverence went to his head. That was until he started kidnapping people, transforming them into a half-clockwork robot, and making them a part of his own half-mechanical army. Sending out his clockwork army to kidnap more people to turn them into new members of said army. What started out with lower class citizens and the homeless - people that would go unnoticed if they went missing - has escalated into higher class people going missing, only to be spotted a few weeks later as one of the half-mechanical soldiers. And so, the Council of Elders have decided to recruit a group of adventurers, to find Dr. Emil Lazarus and put a stop to his plan, prevent even more people from being kidnapped and hopefully liberate the clockwork army that is under the scientist's control.

Enter the rag-tag team of eight would-be adventurers. They don't know each other, but they're about to quickly find out. And given they were the only eight brave enough to sign up, even with the very generous reward money, they're what the Council has. Given an airship, supplies and instructions to find all of Dr. Emil Lazarus' laboratories - five in total - as well as incapacitate any members of his army (whether that's saving them or destroying them, the Council do not care) that they may come across, in the hopes of finding the scientist, and bringing him to justice. Well, bring him to the Council.
So gear up - it's time for an adventure.
Last edited by Consulting_Angel on Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Consulting_Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Character Roles

Postby Consulting_Angel » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:20 am

You may have up to two characters. PM all reservations, and post characters in the discussion thread.

The Mercenary
Usually hired to track down
and 'take care' of people, this
job is perfect. And given the reward
money is more than they usually
charge, even better. The only real
problem is that they usually work
alone, not with a group of
strangers.

Octavia Tremaine | Consulting_Angel

The Aviator
They have piloted a variety
of airships, they are the only
one of the group able to do so.
Which just as well, because this
top-of-the-line airship has been
a dream of theirs to pilot,
never mind the reward money for
the adventure!

Olivier Remington | InfectedHau

The Socialite
An adventure to find and capture
a disgraced scientist that's intent on
taking over the country? Sign up the
socialite! They've always longed for
adventure, and this is the perfect
opportunity, even if their family
has been trying to discourage them
from doing so. It's finally time for
them to spread their wings... even
if they're entirely inexperienced.

Samuel Hartford | bigwig

The Mechanic
Repairs are their speciality. The
airship won't be going down with
them around! And, y'know, whatever
other things that might need fixing.
The reward money isn't too bad
either, and is just the sort of
thing that they need to help pay
off some serious debts.

Elijah Cooper | Hyunjinnie

The Inventor
Initially idolising Dr. Emil Lazarus,
this scientist is always thinking
up and building new inventions.
They hope to one day invent the
next big thing. And as for their
former hero? Well, maybe there's
still some inspiration to be had
from him...

Name | Reserved

The Soldier
A half-human, half-clockwork
person, and former member of
the rogue scientist's army. They
are broken from their programming,
and have decided they want revenge
on their creator. But how much of
their former self is still there?
NOTE: The character with this
role won't join until later on in
the roleplay.

Name | User
The Explorer
Perhaps the most experienced in
terms of 'adventurer'. They've been
all around the country and beyond.
And getting paid to travel is even
better. They also know their way
around a map and know the best
hidden gems in each of the places
the group will be travelling to.

Balthasar Cogwright | Consulting_Angel

The Officer
Initially part of the military,
until an injury meant they could
no longer serve. Skilled in most
weapons, and having known quite
a few of those that have gone
missing, they have decided to prove
themselves by joining the group to
find Dr. Emil Lazarus, and
hopefully save the people they
knew.

Hector Steel | TheTerraian

The Performer
Probably the least expected sort
of person to want to join the crew.
They are a semi-known performer,
and make a decent living to get by.
But they want more out of just
performing in Volimire, and who knows,
maybe being part of the group that
takes down Dr. Emil Lazarus will
draw in a bigger crowd for them.

Rosetta Robins | Spiritstar3

The Rogue
A thief, living on the outskirts of
society, and not the sort that most
want to be associated with. They are
quite handy with a few weapons, though.
They are not part of the group willingly,
however, as they were caught attempting
to steal from a aristocrat's house, and
arrested. Given the option between
joining the crew or going to prison...
the answer was obvious.

Noi Leean | Spiritstar3

The Medic
Experienced and talented in the
medical field, they hold a high
position for their work. And, now,
they've been appointed by the Council
to accompany the group of
adventurers and provide medical
assistance as and when needed.
The only problem is... they would
much rather keep their feet firmly
on solid ground.

Name | Reserved

The Stowaway
Enthusiastic, curious and a
wanna-be adventurer. They were
unable to join the group initially,
as they live too far from Volimire
to have made it in time. But, after
discovering the group of adventurers
are in their city, they decide to
sneak aboard the airship before the
group leaves. What could they do?
Throw them over the side? Well...
hopefully not!
NOTE: The character with this role
won't join until later on in the
roleplay

Name | User
Last edited by Consulting_Angel on Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:13 am, edited 11 times in total.
Consulting_Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Setting

Postby Consulting_Angel » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:20 am

If it's isn't clear by now, this is a steampunk, Neo-Victorian fantasy setting. Tech is all steam-powered, or at least magitech (especially for electricity/lights).

The central city, Volimire, is the largest city, and has a huge, municipal building where meetings for the Council of Elders and Consul take place, as well as any events for the upper-class members of society take place. Volimire is usually 'split' into two halves - the upper half and lower half. Naturally, the upper-half being where your middle-upper class people live and is much better looking than the neglected, rugged lower half of the city, where the lower-class people live and work. You'll find most factories in the lower-half as well. There are also two airship ports in the upper half, one for merchant ships and the other for leisure and anything else.

There are four cities that the group of adventurers will be travelling to, in their search for Dr. Emil Lazarus, as they are the places the scientist is known to have laboratories - though their exact locations are unknown. The one in Volimire was already found, but has been cleared out of almost everything. No airships have been reported missing, so it is assumed that Dr. Emil Lazarus has been travelling by road, or has managed to develop the technology to teleport - something that was said to be an invention he was working on before his fall from grace. Each city will take about half a day to reach by airship, as they're so spread out.

Ashrath - The city of nature. A place where technology meets nature, with your usual steam and magitech inventions, alongside trees, lush parks and serene lakes. It is said to be the most beautiful city in the country, and is a very popular holiday spot for the middle-upper classes.

Arcmourne - The city of alchemy. This city has less steam and more magitech and alchemy. This is where the art of alchemy originated, and Arcmourne is revered for its contributions to society, though not many people are keen on the idea of it seemingly starting to push steam out. It is a hotspot for aspiring scientists and alchemists.

Obsiditon - The city of history. Obsiditon is known for its many 'firsts' back when the Age of Steam began. The first airship, the first steam-powered engine, and also where many of Dr. Emil Lazarus' inventions debuted. The history buffs will get a kick out of the museum tours offered by the city, with at least 20 of them, all with different subjects.

Ethervale - The city of merchants. This is the place to get rare goods, to be in the middle of a sea of merchants all trying to sell their wares. It has the largest airship port out of all cities, and hosts the largest market in the country. However, there are quite a lot of thieves here as well, so watch your back... and your money.

The Decadence - The name of the airship that the group will be using for their adventure. It is top-of-the-line, uses both steam and magitech to be powered with two separate engines, in case one of them fails. There are driving controls on the deck and in its own control room - the other set locking when one set is being used, to prevent any attempted takeovers - with a navigation system that is second-to-none, including an estimated time of arrival displayed. The deck has been modified so that travellers can stand on it, though there is also a viewing room below as well, which also doubles as a dining room. There are ten bedrooms, a kitchen, supply room, a weaponry and three engineering rooms that have access to various parts of the ship's mechanics.
Consulting_Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Character Form and Rules

Postby Consulting_Angel » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:40 am

You may use the form below, or your own - provided it has all the needed information.

Code: Select all
[left][img]Image/FC[/img][/left][size=85][b]Full Name:[/b]
[b]Nickname[/b] (if any):
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Pronouns:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] (written description, optional)

[b]Personality:[/b] (at least 5-6 sentences)

[b]Short Bio:[/b]

[b]Other[/b]:[/size]

Rules
- As per usual, all of Tess' rules apply.
- No one- or two-liners.
- Please use reasonable grammar, spelling and punctuation, so others can understand your posts.
- Realistic FC's or your own art or a detailed written description.
- No romantic relations between your own characters.
- Character ages 23+
- Please disable signatures in the roleplay thread.
- If you have a question, then let me know!
- Keep OOC chat and character forms to the discussion thread.
Consulting_Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Age of Steam & Elegance (Accepting!)

Postby Consulting_Angel » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:21 am

Starting - The group have been left in a hall in the Council building, after having been briefed about their quest. They have received a quarter of the payment now, intended as funds for the adventure, and will receive the rest at the end.
The group has been left to get to know one another while the airship has its preparations finished, which will only take about fifteen minutes. One of the staff members for the building will come to fetch them when everything is ready.

Octavia Tremaine
The Mercenary
Tagged: Open/Group
Octavia was almost certain that she could track down the rogue scientist on her own. All the other people were just dead weight. And it seemed like most of the others here hadn't even left Volimire - with a couple of exceptions. She supposed the only one that she'd consider useful enough was that Aviator - she didn't have any experience in piloting an airship herself, and so having someone along that did have experience was going to be helpful. Other than that... Octavia cast her gaze across the rest of the group, judgementally. An old guy, clearly having some sort of military background, seemed like he'd be able to hold his own, at least. Some of the others, though, particularly that mechanic, a girl that looked like a performer of sorts, and the young socialite from some upper-class family - she wondered if his family had hired her before to 'take care' of an enemy - all seemed like they'd fall apart at the first sign of danger. Well, she would not be picking them back up if it came to it.

She contented herself with just listening to the conversations happening within the room, looking at the claws on her gloves much like someone looking at their nails would. She did not think introductions were particularly necessary. At least, not right now. Were they all expected to become friends within these next few minutes, before they boarded the airship? She hoped not. Besides, surely there would be plenty of time for the others to get to know each other when they were actually travelling. Ah well. Octavia glanced up, watching the group once again.

Balthasar Cogwright
The Explorer
Tagged: Open/Group
What an interesting group of adventurers! Balthasar was quite looking forward to this quest. Sure, it was tracking down the infamous Dr. Emil Lazarus, but still! It meant going back to a few cities that he hadn't visited in a while, and he'd made sure to get all of his notes for each of the cities they'd be going to. After all, who else would have extensive knowledge to refer back to? Balthasar very much looked forward to showing off his knowledge and skills to the rest of the group. Maybe he could even consider himself the 'leader' of the group.

He had to admit to himself that some of the people that were part of the group didn't seem the most capable... but maybe they had something surprising that they could contribute, so he wasn't going to count anyone out just yet. Besides, the more the merrier, right? Others, of course, seemed like seasoned fighters - most notably the older, military guy, and the woman with clawed gloves and a metal bat.
The only person in the group that he vaguely recognised was young, upper-class man. He was sure that maybe they would have crossed paths at some events their families attended before, but there were a good few years between them, and he couldn't put his finger on a name...

After a few moments of being left alone, Balthasar clapped his hands together, loudly. "Well then. I'll start - my name's Balthasar Cogwright. I've been travelling for six or seven years and I'm looking forward to working with everyone. Who'd like to go next?" he spoke, figuring that he may as well start the conversation.
Consulting_Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Age of Steam & Elegance (Full! Now Started)

Postby Spiritstar3 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:12 am

Rosetta Marie Robins- Rosa- f- 23 y- Performer- bi; open- old enough to get married- wants kids one day (if that's allowed)- FC: Molly Quinn- Mo x Tina: Nina, Quinn, (Rosa), Simonn- cat, family dogs- Tags: everyone/open

The pretty girl with nice lips and long lashes looked around. Turquoise eyes saw one of the group watching her... and others. The person seemed to be a mercenary, if she had to guess. She shook her head, wondering if the other thought her and some of the others would be incapable...She rolled her eyes a bit at this this. She flicked back long reddish-blonde hair. She had the darker blue dress with the spaghetti straps and crosses. It had a choker with it. She knew she probably wouldn't need it. Maybe she would, maybe for a fight. It was meant for her dances, but would work in a fight. In fact, she'd rather fight in that than her dancing dress. She was wearing the blue and dark butterfly sleeve dress and corset right now.

The dancer didn't want it to get ruined in a fight, if there was one. There should be time to change at some point, if she decided she wanted to. She was also wearing her stockings or tights. She had the cross/rosary from her grandma, and touched a finger to it. The sweet and sensible but stubborn and hard headed one looked over. She tilted her head as she listened as one guy introduced himself. She smiled as she said "Nice to meet you, Balthasar. I'm Rosetta Robins and I'm...a dancer, but I've had some training in other stuff." She'd been told fighting could be like dancing. She was sure she could do it, if needed. She hummed a small sound. She then looked to the others, and waited.

Noi Leean (Lee-ann) Noe (No)- N, Leean (if you dare)- genderfluid (mostly male)- 25 y- Rogue- steam power bow (crossbow?) and pretty arrows/bolts, sword, knives strapped to legs- boys; Balthasar, maybe Elijah- Reyn x Akalia- dog Leviathan goes w/ when thieving, silver sterling ferret Ster- Tags: everyone/open

The pretty, golden-tan one hummed a small sound. Pretty lips quirked up, and they looked at their nice nails a moment. He blinked a couple times, longer lashes brushing skin. The dark haired one then shook their head, and brushed at the hair. It would reach mid back if let down. However, currently it was pulled back as it usually was. It brushed the upper back like this, and had a really pretty, ornate silver hairpiece as well as a blue pin. The hairpiece held the hair, while the pretty hairpin went through it. His bangs were brushed to the sides too. His hair was straight and nice. He checked his white shirt and darker purple vest. He looked at the dark pants then the very dark purple boots a moment.

He then shook his head and smirked a bit. Despite being a rogue, he could be sweet and gentle, and now he smiled and showed it as he thought of his family and dog. He hoped Levi was doing okay...He had his ferret with him, as the ferret always went with him. He couldn't bring the dog, because he wasn't doing thief work. In fact, he'd gotten caught...The wild and loud one let out a small sigh. He then let dark eyes wander to the others there, as one man spoke then a girl. He silently nodded as he looked to them. He sighed again, saying "My name is Noi Noe. The e is silent, of course. I'd rather not say what I do...but if you really want to know, you might be able to get me to tell~" he couldn't help a bit of a sing song voice.
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby InfectedHau » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:23 pm

Olivier Remington||The Aviator||Hall||Tagged: Group
    Today was a good day.

She got a fair bit of coin, she got the best airship on the market (well, second best, whatever they said about this fancy new ship of theirs it was no Dragonfly), and she got even more money once she was done carting everyone else around. Not to mention the fame that would come from being one of the valliant adventurers who took down the nefarious Dr. Lazarus.

Olivier whistled a jaunty tune as she reclined in one of the plush seats laid out in the council's waiting room, her feet up on a coffee table as she counted out the coin she'd just gotten. It wasn't the most she'd been paid for a job, not for the moment at least, but it was far more than she was used to, and at least meant she wouldn't have to worry about rent and docking fees while she was away. Hopefully once she came back a big hero, with pockets significantly deeper than they were now, she wouldn't have to worry about it ever, but that was getting ahead of herself. Priority now was getting there and back in one piece. And maybe figuring out how she could pinch this much-vaunted airship for herself. Not like the Council was going to do anything useful with it.

Looking around the room, she was more than a bit surprised at her companions. The tall lad in the long coat had the look of a lower-halfer about him, so she believed he was at least worth his salt, and the woman with the bat she knew by reputation -nasty piece of work, that-, but everyone else hardly seemed the adventuring types. There were more than a few that looked like they'd barely set foot outside their own houses, much less onto the deck of an airship. Though, she acknowledged as one of the aforementioned strange additions introduced himself, perhaps she shouldn't be judging books by their covers quite yet. An experienced traveler might come in useful, especially as seeing she'd never actually left Volimire airspace. "Guess I'll go next, then," she said, in the thick brogue common in the lower half. "Olivier Remington, at y'service. I'll be yer chauffeur for this little excursion, follow my lead and we'll all come back safe. And rich, hopefully."
InfectedHau

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Elijah

Postby Hyunjinnie » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 pm

π”Όπ•π•šπ•›π•’π•™
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
β™›Mechanic Tags; open Mentions; the group

Eli had been one of the very last people to enter the room, which most likely made him seem late when in reality he had arrived earlier than the others. Mr.Augustus, one of his employers and somewhat friend, was close with a few of the Council members and was the one who recommended Elijah for the job. The man even managed to convince the staff to allow Eli to take a tour of the airship a couple of days ahead of time so he would already be acquainted with the airship's layout. Eli arrived earlier than necessary just so he could make sure the airship was in perfect condition and he even picked out the room that he would be staying in for the trip. The room was one of the smallest out of the ten and was more of a broom closet, but Eli had slept in worse places before. The room also happened to be close to one of the engineering rooms so he could have quick access to the ship’s mechanics in case something happened while he was asleep.

When he finally joined the group, they had just begun the meeting. He probably got some looks when he entered the room, but he kept his head low and went to stand in the corner that was the furthest away from everyone. Once the meeting was over, the group was left alone to get to know one another, much to Elijah’s disappointment. He hates small talk and hated introducing himself to people even more. It was easier when he had his brother who had always done the talking for the both of them. Besides, Eli already knew who was who. One of Mr.Augustus' friends had briefly explained to Eli who he would be working and each of their assigned jobs as well as a short description of them.

Eli continued to stay in his corner away from the others, with his arms crossed over his chest. He had observed the others during the meeting and immediately felt like he was out of place. It was rare for Eli to ever feel comfortable around others, but ever since he started getting jobs in the upper half he felt even more out of place. He was definitely the black sheep of the group even if some of the others were also from the lower half. The silence that fell over the group once they were alone, made Elijah feel a little uncomfortable. He preferred the silence, but it made him feel awkward in situations like this. The loud clap that broke the silence startled Eli. He stood up straighter as the first of the introductions were finally starting. Clearing his throat, he stepped away from the wall with his arms still crossed. β€œThe name’s Elijah. Call me Eli if you’d like. Stay out of my way and I’ll stay out of yours,” he said with a firm tone. He realized his choice of words were a little harsh, but he certainly wasn’t there to make friends. He just wanted this job to be over as quickly as possible so he could pay his debt. Not wanting to seem completely rude, he quietly muttered, β€œPleased to meet you all,” before he stepped back into his corner.
Hyunjinnie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheRegularTerrarian » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:03 am

Hector | 70 | Male | Officer | Hall | Tags: Group
After the mission briefing, he was more than eager to get started. But first, of course, he'd have to learn the names of his allies in this mission first. He listens to the others as they introduce themselves, before finally stepping forward to introduce himself. "Hello all! I'm Hector Steel, and I'll be one of your allies on this mission! I used to be in the military, and I'm quite proficient with all sorts of weapons, so I'll be here to make sure no harm comes to any of you! I'm certain that with all our skills combined, we'll find this nefarious Dr Lazarus and take him down!" He salutes and steps back, standing straight with his hands behind his back.
TheRegularTerrarian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The Age of Steam & Elegance || samuel i

Postby bigwig. » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:47 pm

π’π€πŒπ”π„π‹ π‡π€π‘π“π…πŽπ‘πƒ
    ✧ he/him ✧ "the socialite" ✧ location: hall ✧ tags: group
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    Samuel Hartford stood among the group in the hall with a distinctive sparkle in his rich green eyes. He was excited, elated even! Fear was the furthest thing from his mind, despite the daunting and rather dangerous nature of their expedition. He had always wanted to be an adventurer, and at long last, this was his chance! He would say that he didn't care what his family thought, but in all actuality, the fact that they didn't like it made him even more motivated to go. What was the Council going to do, say no to him? He wasn't doing it for the money (though he noticed one of the women diligently counting her coin) - that he had plenty of access to - but rather the prospect of going on such a thrilling journey and getting to see so much of the outside world. Well, actually, it was a little nice to get paid, now that the thought about it. It was his own money, not his family's - and he could do with it whatever he pleased, regardless of what they thought. The thought set off a spark of mischievous excitement, adding to the already lifting blaze burning inside him. He didn't know what everyone else looked so dour for!

Samuel adjusted his ascot and his high collar; he'd gotten dressed a little bit too hastily, and he probably didn't look his absolute best right now. Hopefully, he was still going to make a good enough first impression. Some of the others didn't seem so concerned about that, though. A bit standoffish. The lady with the clawed gloves seemed bored, judging the group with her steely gaze, and the young man with the crossed arms was certainly giving off an 'unapproachable' vibe. Some of them didn't seem so bad, though. He was sure they'd end up getting along, anyways. Samuel had a way with people. He chuckled a little when the female aviator commented they would come back 'rich, hopefully'. The way she spoke seemed very indicative of the lower half, but Samuel wouldn't have been surprised if all of them except him were. He didn't have many ventures to the lower half of Volimire; he never had reason to go there. The impression he'd gotten from his parents was that it was full of thieves and scroungers, a dangerous and dirty place that someone of his stature shouldn't tread. He had never had any reason to disbelieve them.

What if one of these unsavory characters were to turn on him? Supposedly, they all had the same goal, but he couldn't be so sure of some of them. Well, if his family found out, then they'd best not return to the city of Volimire. Even with as much ire as he'd earned from them, they would not tolerate knowing that somebody who was supposed to protect him had ended up hurting or cheating him. And, in Samuel's mind, that was exactly what all these people were here for - to protect him. He could do the talking for them (most of them didn't really look like charmers), and the rest of these folks would do the fighting.

Normally, he would have jumped to introduce himself, but he was so distracted he hardly noticed he was the last person to make an introduction. "Right-o!" He bubbled, suddenly realizing all eyes were on him. "The name's Samuel Hartford, if you will. I'm glad to be accompanying you all on this journey, and I truly hope we can get on." He groomed his hair and fluttered his eyelashes, immediately enamored by having everyone's attention focused on him.
bigwig.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me