a town called lethe. open

For roleplays featuring human or human-like characters which have inhuman abilities or live in an (original) fantasy world. E.g. vampires, shape-shifters, werewolves. However this category does not include roleplays based on existing fandoms such as Twilight or Harry Potter

a town called lethe. open

Postby sammy, » Sat May 29, 2021 4:33 am

██████████████████████████
█████
█████
█████

xxxxxx
╔═════════════════╗
welcome to lethe, population fifty-seven! we hope
you enjoy your stay here. our town is diverse and
caters to all types of people as they find their way
into our borders. if you respect our rules, you're su
re to have a truly unforgettable time in our midst!

╚═════════════════╝
xxxxxx

people go missing all the time. entire planes appear to blink out of existence, ships leave their harbours and never reach their destinations. a car will drive upon a lonesome road at night and then simply disappear. these are the laws of the world that we live in. these are the rules. sometimes, people disappear, never to be found. sometimes, they come back, years later, with no true explanation to the cause of their absence. sometimes it takes them years to describe the little town that they found themselves in, the one with the strange rules and the stranger people. sometimes, they write stories and they become legends; the names altered and the place renamed, but ultimately, all the same. they call it elelín or they call it atlantis; they call it the wandering city or shangri-la; they call it camelot or avalon, but never its true name - perhaps out of respect for the locals they spent their days with, or perhaps out of fear for what they saw there. regardless of whether they stay or not, the town is here for the lost, as it always has been, and as long as the laws of the land are adhered to, visitors can stay for as long as they so require.

if they stay for long enough, they might find themselves changing. this is nothing to be worried about. it's simply how things work in the lost town called lethe. it means that you're meant to be here. please welcome the minor alterations; it is the magpie's gift to you.
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

a town called lethe. plot

Postby sammy, » Sat May 29, 2021 4:35 am

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒xxxxxxxxx𝐏𝐋𝐎𝐓
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒x'xx& 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄

a group of tourists on a trip through europe find themselves on a train that will take them to their next destination. it's simple, it's a cut and dry trip - of course, until the train stops at a station that doesn't exist. not on any maps or search engine - which would be a useless search anyway, as it appears to be a blackspot for phone signal, and from there, it simply doesn't move again. they are beached at a station that doesn't exist, in a town that doesn't exist, and the train driver is nowhere to be found. they're stuck here. indefinitely.

━━━━ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐎𝐖𝐍 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

the town is a mishmash of old villas and tudor buildings, a smorgasbord of different cultures mashed together into one, but the array looks somewhat appealing. there is a mansion in the distance, on a hill, and a lake in the centre of the area that appears to be home to most interaction. there is a true sense of calm here. a forest in the distance that looms, the sun high in the sky (it might be in the wrong place. it's definitely in the wrong place). it is, seemingly, a rather normal town - of course, until one reads the rules signposted at the entrance of the village, a bizarre little set of oddly-specific laws to follow. there is something rather off about this place.

there is a silver lining, though. there are people in this bizarre little town which is signposted simply as 'lethe'. it isn't derelict by any stretch of the imagination, and the locals appear to be happy to bring them in. there is a sense of awareness here that all is not what it seems, but the residents appear secretive, forgetful of how exactly they got here, and they find the concept of 'another train' rather amusing. in addition to this, they all appear rather youthful, suspended in time itself, and some of them don't seem quite... human.

the locals have powers. some of them are different species to human entirely. whether mythological apparitions or power-bolstered humans, they live in harmony with one another, all sharing a profound reverence for 'the magpie'. to disrupt this peace is a great offence. perhaps it is best to simply adhere to their set of rules, to live a simplistic life until the next train arrives to take them to their next destination.

oddly enough, though - none of the tourists can really remember where they were going.
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

a town called lethe. rules and regulations

Postby sammy, » Sat May 29, 2021 4:43 am

▒▒▒▒xxxxxx'xxxx'x𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒
▒▒▒▒'x& 𝐑𝐄𝐆𝐔𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒

i. general rules apply. ii. realistic faceclaims or verbal descriptions only. iii. no cap to character amount. iv. please write five to six sentences per post. v. though tourists will be arriving together, if more wish to join further along, they can come by train/stumble upon the town by accident. vi. etiquette regarding godmodding and powerplaying applies. vii. feel free to break the town rules. see what happens. viii. pm with any questions you may have. ix. tourists will have powers, but they will be granted a little later. x. forms go on discussion. xi. praise the magpie.

━━━━ 𝐓𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

i. respect between residents is of paramount importance. anyone found in breach of the peace will be dealt with by the sheriff.

ii. if you are spiritual, you will feel inclined toward the forest, as it is a place of tranquility. do not spend more than two hours there. we
would hate to have another lost visitor.

iii. you may hear singing at night. ignore it and it will go away. if it persists, p̸̤̟̼͉͕̪͎͕̻̣̌͋̃̍͊͝r̶̡͉̯̼̹̍̆͒͜͜͜a̵̩̝̱͖̐̈́͜y̷̡̡̗͕͓̯̑͒̓̾̾͘͜.̴̧̛̦̭͙̖̝̬̖͓̀͑̈́̋̓̿̇́̚ͅ

iv. praise the magpie.

v. communications devices do not work here. if you receive a phone call, do not answer it.

vi. you may see a young girl in a white dress. she will be crying. she is a lost visitor. do not make eye contact with her. she will go away.

vii. the mayor is a very busy man. he should not be contacted unless the situation is truly dire. direct qualms to the deputy mayor or the sheriff instead.

viii. the lake is not for swimming in.

ix. enjoy your stay!
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

a town called lethe. characters

Postby sammy, » Sat May 29, 2021 4:48 am

▒▒▒▒xxx'x𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐄𝐑
▒▒▒▒'xxxxxxxx'xxxxx'x𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐓

i. forms should include name, age, gender, power, and a somewhat descriptive
personality. ii. if creating a longtime resident, they will be much older than they
appear. iii. residents can be from any time era. iv. powers should have some kind
of link to characters' personalities, wishes or history. v. the only 'named' roles are
currently sheriff, deputy sheriff, mayor, deputy mayor and the doctors. the rest are
open slots. vi. tourists will have powers, put these on forms. vii. praise the magpie.

━━━━ 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

the mayor.
deputy mayor.
sheriff.
deputy sheriff, open.
    name; gender; age; user
doctors.
xxxxxxxx
other residents.
these have more generalised roles such as shopkeepers,
librarians, firefighters etc. no limit.

━━━━ 𝐓𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐒 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

tourists.
our beloved visitors, soon to be blessed by the magpie. no limit.

━━━━ 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐄𝐒 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

entities.
other creatures native to lethe. (if you would like to scratch an eldritch itch, shoot me a pm!)
Last edited by sammy, on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:40 am, edited 30 times in total.
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

a town called lethe. locations

Postby sammy, » Sat May 29, 2021 4:51 am

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒xxx''x𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒'xx'xxx𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐄𝐄

as a populated town, lethe has a myriad of places for purpose of visitation, general
quality of life additions, and natural phenomenae - as well as shops, a florists, and
a library, to name a few. these are where the locals tend to congregate, all pitching
in to do their bit to make living here as pleasant as possible. residential areas are fi
lled with empty houses waiting to be populated. the magpie grants supplies in orde
r to create new venues as necessity arrives. (in return for praise, of course.)

━━━━ 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑𝐒 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

the train station.
    the first place many experience upon entry to lethe. an empty station in the middle of nowhere, eclipsed by trees. the rail seems to extend up past the horizon in either direction, and the station itself is empty, but not derelict. it appears cared for, the surfaces clear of dust. there is an electrical sign on a post that appears to be out of order, as it has no indication of any further transport beyond this point. one wonders what a town with no trains is doing with its own station.
the lake.
    upon leaving the station, the most notable sight is the grand lake that the town appears to be built around. it glimmers, glittering in the light of the rarely-missing sun, mist rising from its centre. though it is tantalising to take a dip, there are countless signs surrounding it that warn against this very incursion. not heeding these warnings and attempting to swim in its depths anyway may result in pecked eyes.
the streets.
    branching from the north, south, east and west of the lake are a variety of cobbled roads leading to a multitude of buildings. some of them appear mismatched, however there is a sense of uniformity in the chaos. for the most part, they are all homely looking places, and residents can oft be seen on benches or sitting in the grass patches beside the paving stones, sunning themselves in the comfortable heat.
the forest.
    in the distance, west of the town centre, lies a vast and looming mass of trees. they rustle in the night - sometimes, it almost sounds as though they are whispering, and in the bark are twisted caricatures of pained faces, grotesque and viscous red sap sometimes seen dripping from the trunks. the curious are often drawn there. it is important, however, not to spend too much time in its shade, and to never stray from its beaten path, lest they make unwanted contact with its native resident.
the mayor's mansion.
    on a hill to the north of the town, the mayor's abode looms. it is gated with high fences, and residents rarely make the pilgrimage to his quarters. it stands high, visible from most points within the town. sometimes, it can feel as though it is watching you. it is not. it is a building. buildings cannot see.

━━━━ 𝐁𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

the community hall.
    directly north of the lake lies the community hall, a conglomerative, social building, edwardian in style. in the event of celebrations - birthdays, religious holidays, etcetera - parties are thrown here. inside, there are dance halls, a stage and auditorium, and a musical theatre. if announcements are needed, they are made on the steps at its base.
the sheriff's station
    not far from the community hall is the sheriff's station, a small and easily looked over spot. a vast building is unnecessary - it is rare that people are brought in here. it has only one holding cell, and no adjoining prison. those found guilty of a great offence do not often find that their punishment is imprisonment.
the hospital.
    just across from the sheriff's station, the hospital is ever so slightly larger, the workplace of the resident doctors. it houses a few rooms, mostly for the weary and injured, and boasts vast amounts of medicine and technology, applicable to nearly any scenario.
the library.
    a small building, but one filled with vast knowledge. some of the books are certainly interesting, to say the least, with a small portion kept under lock and steady key, restricted from the public eye. the owner of the library, amelia, keeps the key safe. she lives above the library in a flat, connected by a rickety staircase. comfortingly dusty.
the art gallery.
    a one-story building with an aesthetically decorated waiting area. inside, an office for the owner, cordelia, and the main event - displays of jewels and paintings from various different eras, great in monetary value and greater in sentimental value. kept locked at night, protected from potential thieves. not that there is a lack of trust in the town - quite the opposite - but one can never be too careful.
the museum.
    situated next door to the art gallery, linked by a single archway, the museum is just under two centuries old, founded by palaeontologist cassandra charles, whose bust is in the centre of the main hall. claimed by the forest seventy years ago, the statue serves as a stark reminder of the dangers of breaking the set laws of the land. regardless, it is a vast hall with a collection of bones and fragments, meteoric rocks and ancient slabs.
the florist's.
    close to the field that separates the town from the forest, the florist's is a small, bright building that blooms with a sense of joy. curious wildlife and insects can oft be found around here, sniffing around the produce. some of them are a touch more divergent from the normal animals seen outside of the town, but that's simply evolution.
the pub.
    thus far, it is an empty building. a few have attempted to make an atmosphere out of the place, but none have seemed the type to keep it afloat just yet. regardless, the albatross is waiting for a new owner, and it appears that opportunity has arisen.
residential areas.
    dotted around the streets are a smorgasbord of different homes. some of them claimed, some of them not - all decorated to fit the resident's individual personality, seemingly made for them. tourists may find that their dream home lies within this town, a key under the mat, ready to be claimed by them.
Last edited by sammy, on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: a town called lethe. open

Postby sammy, » Mon May 31, 2021 8:00 am

cheeky wee mark for later. no way. (part two)
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

wait a minute!

Postby sammy, » Mon May 31, 2021 12:19 pm

─( )─────── ❝ 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐖𝐒
      xxxxxxxxxxx'xxx𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚗𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍. 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚜𝚖𝚞𝚐𝚐𝚕𝚎𝚍.
      touristtagged: train crewlocation: the train
    the trip, so far, had been pleasant. a grand rail across the continent, sightseeing, dipping into the little nooks and crannies of the world that had been forgotten to time. the parthenon, the monasteries of meteora, the vast and gorgeous kaleidoscopes of the sainte chapelle. so far, his trip had simply been a case of picking a line and sticking with it, jumping on whatever arrived first and allowing it to carry him where he needed to go.

it wasn't that he believed in fate. not anymore, not really - if fate was real, then it was cruel. easier to perceive every circumstance as a set of random chance than to put faith in something conceptual and flimsy. that was the idea, anyway. that was what he wanted to believe in. it didn't always go like that.
    as with every train, there were passengers, most of which matty had paid no mind to. whether conversation was occurring or not was irrelevant. it had nothing to do with him. he didn't really care.

fate, it seemed, had other plans. for him, for the others present in the cabin - because the train slowed to a grinding halt far earlier than he had expected it to.
    his head perked up. "have we hit something?" he asked, though unsure who the question was posed to. no. there was no collision. just the trilling alarm that sounded as the doors opened in a station that, from a glimpse at the sign, was called lethe.

"this wasn't on the..." he checked his ticket. nothing. "where -" lost for words, unsettled - had they taken a detour? difficult, on rails preset. the train wasn't moving. underfoot, no vibrations. the engine killed. something was wrong. something was very drastically wrong, and dread was making its home in his bones, settling like a blanket. "we should... wait."

─( )─────── ❝ 𝐑𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐎𝐃𝐄
      xxxxxx.xxx'xxx 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚎𝚗𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚗𝚘𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚘𝚘 𝚖𝚞𝚌𝚑 𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚝!
      touristtagged: train crewlocation: the train - the station
    an escape. that had been what they needed. a little trip around for inspiration's sake, to get a glimpse at the cities they had only experienced in verse and in paintings, to lay an eye upon all the things that they wanted to see. and to have a good time, while they were at it. otherwise, there was no point.

the song playing through their earbuds had stuttered, ever-so-briefly, and then stopped entirely. a check - no signal. not surprising in this neck of the woods - quite literally, as all they could see out of the windows were the trees that lined the rail, flashing by in a blur of brown and green, eclipsed by sunlight that cast bubbled smatters of light upon the floor of the (rather grubby) train cabin. almost immediately after they had accepted that there was nothing to do about the poor reception in the more rural areas, something else had to rear its head.

the train stopped.
    rike hadn't really been paying attention to the stations they had stopped at, but the panic on one of the passengers' face was enough to suggest that something was amiss. the doors opened. a moment of hesitation. nothing was happening. a brief period of tranquility, and then a decision to be made.
    "we should... wait,"
    not a chance.

"nah, screw that," without any more thought to the repercussions, she sprang up and beamed a jaunty smile at the other passengers. "come on. it's not on the maps. we've stopped in the middle of nowhere. the driver might be dead. we'll have to get help somehow. can't just wait around." bag in hand, they stormed down the aisle with purpose - though stumbled a little when they made direct collision with a chair, depth perception be damned - and out into the air of - a quick check of the sign - lethe.

it was empty, but it didn't look abandoned. a fine line between the two, but an important one. from afar, a large building on a hill loomed. populated, then. that was good. always a pleasant sign.
    their case was still on the train, sitting in the overhead locker. funnily enough, they were rather convinced that it wasn't going anywhere. so the next port of call was - "hello!" shouted, rather loudly. "is there anyone there? we're stuck! i think the driver's died!" polite of the driver to perish at a stop, really. very kind of them. "hello?"

─( )─────── ❝ 𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄
      xxxxxxx'xxx𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚊𝚢, 𝚜𝚎𝚝 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚗 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚎.
      residenttagged: openlocation: outside town hall
    there was something in the air that morning.
    maybe it was cliche to think. to assume that he was capable of picking up that something was 'off' when this whole town, from its creation, was the definition of 'off'. but there was certainly something. the sun had risen up the sky; the birds had sung their morning melodies; the people of lethe had woken with the expectation that nothing of particular note would occur. maybe they were right to. maybe there was nothing that could lay out the happenings of this place. it was an anomaly in every sense of the term, and there was no guessing what would happen next.

it followed him through the stalwart routine of his morning. through the shower and the dressing, the haphazard shave, the brief intermission to play a tune on the record player. it wasn't right. he didn't like it. it wasn't normal; this sense that everything had been shifted just an inch to the left or to the right, creating the illusion that everything was the same when, if he looked closer, it wasn't. something was wrong. he just needed to -

he needed to ignore it. that was the decision that he made. he pulled shoes over his feet and traipsed down the path that would take him in the direction of the lake, making a conscious effort to keep the forest out of sight. to the community hall instead, a favoured spot to procure a cigarette from thin air, to light it with the tip of his finger, to watch as the processions of the day began - and that was what he did.
    the magpie flew from a tree, perched on the rule board he stood beside. "morning, mr. magpie. how're you today?" accompanied with a limp, two-fingered salute - a brief moment of eye contact with the bird, and then it was off.
    good thing that that was a habit, really. it made things a lot easier.

the cigarette was halfway smoked when the noise came. not an unrecognisable noise, but a noise nevertheless - the grind of brakes, the screech of halt.

someone had arrived. perhaps multiple someones. "no way," a slow smile extended across his face. they were due some new faces. about damned time. it was getting a bit boring.
sammy,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

new visitors

Postby Guest » Mon May 31, 2021 12:50 pm

𐇵 𓄹 𓄼 claire aster
      resident ・tagged: open ・ location: claire's cabin, outskirts of the field
        claire woke up and quickly changed from her pyjamas to one of her long summer dresses. she had promised amelia she would take care of the backlog of books needing to be sorted. she brushed her teeth before picking up edward."come on edward. no time to waste. let's get going" before letting edward climb into her satchel. she had just begun to lock the door to her cabin before she heard it. the shrill shriek of a train stopping."new visitors, i see."she said. she was suprised - there hadn't been many new visitors in a long time.
        she had initially planned for today to be an uneventful day, skimming through titles, chatting with any people deciding to enter the library, and keeping grimalkins away from edward. but those were quickly forgotten as claire's heart started beating faster and her mind started racing. she had no idea how to react, even after a hundred years.
        "new visitors" came out of her mouth, once again. edward ran out of the satchel and onto her shoulder.
        finally. claire didn't know she needed it, but she needed a bit more excitement in her life. and this just might have been it.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

veronica ryu // 1

Postby sweet.peaches~ » Mon May 31, 2021 1:57 pm

𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐚 𝐫𝐲𝐮 ☙
    thirty-five | resident, local florist | "just your average butterfly lady" | location, florist's | tags, open

she had been up as soon as the sun had rose, hoping to finish bouquet orders before her opening hours. unfortunately - or perhaps, fortunately - there was the wonderful sound of a train skidding to a halt at a station. new visitors, veronica grinned, placing the violet in her hand onto a wooden table. her arrangement would have to wait. the tourists would be confused, wondering where they were. so she'd greet them. after all, 'a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet,' and in lethe, the saying was even more true. fluttering away from her stool, she quickly went through the doorway of the bathroom in the floral shop. "i don't wanna send anyone in a sneezing fest.." veronica made sure to wash her hands thoroughly. after shaking her hands off, she looked into the mirror to make sure she wasn't a mess. well, her hair was brushed. her outfit wasn't dirty and in fact was more prettier than usual. nobody could go wrong with a pastel blue sweater tucked in a white shirt. absolutely nobody. and her butterfly wings looked as marvelous as always. giving herself a thumbs up, veronica flew over to the exit of the shop with a massive grin on her face. i wonder what they'll be like. hopefully nice. with that happy thought, her wings slowly drifted her away to the train station.
sweet.peaches~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

i.

Postby whispersome » Mon May 31, 2021 3:55 pm

─── 𝘿𝙍. 𝘿𝙀𝙄𝙍𝘿𝙍𝙀 𝙌𝙐𝙄𝙉𝙉
[ She/her • 227, appears early-mid 30s • Doctor ]
TAGGED. Open • LOCATION. Hospital

----- Outside, the morning was crisp and clear, sun shining and birds singing—but Deirdre, enclosed within the four walls of her office within the hospital of Lethe, could not bask in this as well as some. As usual, she had been the last to leave the night before and was the first one in this morning. (That statement did assume that somewhere between those two, she had left the building and returned to her place of residence. Had she? Well, everyone is entitled to their secrets.)

----- Around her, the room was still. The only noise was the flipping of pages and occasional sipping of coffee as she went through files. Keeping a warm beverage near sensitive medical information was perhaps not the best of decisions, but Deirdre was careful, dexterous, and nonchalant enough not to be bothered. Her hands, manicured and calloused beneath the nitrile gloves, shifted between her mug and the papers in her hands like clockwork, a process made so easy only by practice.

----- Until, of course, she raised her coffee to her mouth again and found none left. Deirdre glanced into the empty mug as though surprised, then set it down with a cool shrug; she’d get some more after her appointment. …if she had any appointments this morning, that was. She’d find out soon enough, she supposed.

----- In the meantime, Deirdre set the files she’d been perusing aside and adjusted the lapels of her coat. Idly, she reached across her desk to curl her fingers around the jar sitting there. The heart within—a pig’s, as far as she could recall, but double-takes were understandable and even encouraged—bobbed in its formaldehyde enclosing. Deirdre watched it for a moment, gaze curving along its delicate structures. When she made to put it back in its rightful place, her eyes dragged boredly up the wall, passing over the degrees that got fuzzy if looked at too closely and a few bright, ominously-worded infographic posters about hand-washing and basic first aid.

----- As she sat back, she stiffened. Something seemed to shift in the air. Though nothing was tangibly out of the ordinary—no troubling sounds, sights, or smells, however different her definition of “troubling” was from just about anyone else’s—something had inarguably changed, the certainty of it zipping through Deirdre like lightning. She quirked her head and tapped her fingers on the edge of her desk as she considered the feeling.

----- Ah. Slowly, Deirdre’s lips curved into a smile. Perhaps, she mused, she’d have some more walk-in appointments to add to her schedule. For the briefest of instants, she entertained the prospect of taking a little walk; that idea, however, was brushed off before it could even become a full-fledged thought. Surely there was a welcoming party gathering already. She’d let them come to her, as per the usual. Things were more entertaining that way.

----- Besides, that possible appointment was waiting for her. Maybe.

─── 𝙍𝙊𝙎𝙀𝙈𝘼𝙍𝙔 𝙃𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙂
[ She/her • 25 • Tourist ]
TAGGED. Rike, fellow tourists • LOCATION. Train → Train station

----- Not once on the train ride had Rosemary’s eyes left the sprawling landscape through the glass. Even when she had struck up conversations—which had, in fact, happened more than once, although some of those conversations had ended up being one-sided on her behalf—and even when she had grabbed her sketchbook, her attention had remained on the window she was seated beside. It wasn’t as if the European wilderness was nothing she’d seen before; in fact, for the past several months, it had been more or less all she’d seen. In the seven years that Rosemary had been traveling all but nonstop, though, it had never ceased to lose its appeal.

----- (The sketches she’d eked out might suffered for her fascination, but it wasn’t like Rosemary had any shortage of paper. Her foot bumped the backpack she’d set on the floor when she shifted, producing a rustling sound that brought to attention the veritable stack of notebooks she had within.)

----- Fixated as she was, it took Rosemary little time to notice that something had gone wrong, though she’d be hard-pressed to identify why—one second, the trees and sky were rolling past, and the next, they had gone still. Rosemary sat back, startled. She could only blink as the realization seemed to sink in. Whispers—and some louder vocalizations—were starting to spread throughout the cabin. The doors opened, seeming to make the entire train shudder. Or maybe that was just Rosemary’s sudden onset of vertigo.

----- Frowning, Rosemary fumbled through her backpack for her phone. The battery was still valiantly at twenty-six percent, but—“No signal?” she mumbled, disappointed but not surprised. As far as the middle of nowhere went, this was pretty much it.

----- A swell of unease in her chest was pushed down as soon as it rose, and she scurried to her feet. As she did, she was nearly bowled over by a passing figure who made straight for the doors—Rosemary doubled back, then had to wince in empathy when they proceeded to bump into a chair. It didn’t slow them, however, on their way outside. The loud shout that then rang out made Rosemary wince again, both at the volume and the words themselves.

----- Still on her feet, Rosemary whirled to face the passengers remaining aboard the train, waving her hands in a vaguely placating matter. Hyping others up and getting them excited, admittedly, was more her strong suit than comforting and calming them, but she could think of little else to do in a situation like this. “I’m sure everything is all right! We probably just… ran out of fuel, or ran into something, or… something?” As she spoke, Rosemary came to the rapid conclusion that she did not, in fact, fully understand how trains worked. She was an artist, not an engineer! She didn’t even have a bachelor’s degree! She didn’t have to know that sort of thing!

----- Shaking herself, she faced the others with a sunny, encouraging smile—and then promptly turned on her heel to follow the other apparent trailblazer outside.
whispersome

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me