unrealistic but lively by That's Offensive

Based on Click to view
Artist That's Offensive [gallery]
Time spent 56 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
32 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

unrealistic but lively

Postby That's Offensive » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:44 am

Drathia wrote:how do you make your lineart so lively? usually whenever I do my lineart digitally it has so much less character than the sketch.

I felt like my previous response didnt quite do it y'know? so here's a more intense and comprehensive guide (I hope) on how I deal with lineart and what differences it makes compared to my old way of doing things.
Im counting the placement comparison part as exagerated movement, it makes the character more,, more?? if that makes sense? it's cartoony and goofy and makes it feel alive somehow??
with my old style I always saw lines as something to contain and restrict the coloring and shading in, I didnt want anything to spill. but now I think of the lines as a guide, they help me get the colors and shading where they need to be but there's no reason for it to restrict them or be airtight, the little gaps in my unclosed line will be finished with the coloring layer, sometimes colors spill a bit and it adds character.
the vivid light layers make the colors really pop! so I like to use it for shading, pick a bright color that goes well with the rest of your color scheme but still works as shading, this can be difficult if you're using alot of dark hues so remember that it's ok to just use a normal layer with lowered opacity (:
colored lines make such a difference! I've been doing this for a long time and Im still amazed at the difference it makes every time, it makes everything softer in such a nice way! I absolutely recommend this trick for anyone who's not already using it!
and finally, experiment! a lot!! try!!! everything!!!!

Hiya! ^^
Im That's Offensive but you can call me El or Frog if you want to, I use they/them pronouns but I dont really mind she/he pronounce. Im a swedish artist that has been hanging out on CS since 2015 and this place really feels like home, this site and the people on it are really important to me~
have some questions for/about my characters? // need art tips?
to find some more art by me you can message me for instagram, flipanim and TH links ^^"
That's Offensive

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: unrealistic but lively

Postby Drathia » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:36 pm

Thank you!

please credit any designs or art to my Toyhouse