ART TIPS!!! by Cerulean Wake

Based on Click to view
Artist Cerulean Wake [gallery]
Time spent 17 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
26 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

ART TIPS!!!

Postby Cerulean Wake » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Skoomacat wrote:hey do you have any tips for an aspiring artist?

Hecck yeah I do! (I'm finally relevant, hooray!!)

FIRSTLY THOUGH!!!! This is my opinion, which contradicts many other people's opinions. Take it with a grain of salt. I am one of millions of artists who all have different ideas.

That being said, here's tips for beginning artists:

1) Use references/draw from life.... A LOT

The purpose of this is not necessarily to learn how to draw "traditionally" or even how draw people or specific objects (while doing this will also accomplish both of those things). What drawing from life or using references is really useful for is increasing your observational skills which is helpful for any type of visual art. Figure drawing is almost a necessity if you want to draw anatomically correct people.

2) Know improvements don't come quickly, but will come eventually

Beginning artists often compare themselves to really established artists who are either older than them or have much more experience than they have. While looking at really cool art is fine, it's a good way to get discouraged easily. Know that if you keep drawing, improvements WILL happen eventually.

Here's the first drawing of cerulean that I can find if you want to see my improvement over 7 years: LINK
Here's a drawing of her now: LINK

3) Try everything!

Don't limit yourself to one style or medium. If you are completely new to art or don't like your current style, you try to emulate someone else's. DO NOT post that art without proper credit if the style or subject is extremely similar to the original picture. Tracing or copying art is not emulation.

4) Art block????

If you can't motivate yourself to draw, there are a few things you can do. One thing that helps is listening to music with lyrics. Another thing that also helps is watching a speedpaint. Something about watching someone else draw makes you want to draw usually? Finding a drawing prompt is also nice. If none of these things work, just wait for a bit. You will feel in the mood again soon.

5) Do a lot of art.

Self explanatory, but if you want to get better at art, do some art. Doodle on the margins, draw a ton of sketches quickly! Don't get caught up on mistakes or "bad" drawings. It's like that I've heard in advanced pottery classes they'll have you destroy the first 100 pots you make. The lesson here is that you shouldn't get too attached to a single work of art. This will just hold you back.

^^^^ I might add to these later. Please ask more questions about this is you want!
Last edited by Cerulean Wake on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
Cerulean Wake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: ART TIPS!!!

Postby Mantleray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Ahhh I 100% agree with #2. I got really upset not too long ago looking at how many people are better at art than me, and it made me a lil depressed and gave me art block for a while.

❝ Hypothesis: All the worlds
that almost were matter
just as much as the
one we’re in. ❞

credit

Mantleray

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cerulean Wake » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm

MetalheadMolly wrote:Ahhh I 100% agree with #2. I got really upset not too long ago looking at how many people are better at art than me, and it made me a lil depressed and gave me art block for a while.

Yeah it really happens frequently, but it's conflicting for me... Sometimes it makes me depressed to see more experienced artists and sometimes it motivates me. It's hard!

keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
Cerulean Wake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

THANKS FOR THE ART TIPS BRUH!!!

Postby WolfwithWings38 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 am

I really thank you, plus now I know what I'm going through (art block, but only in traditional, but some in digital) and now I know what art block means! But I only use references for if I want to draw something, like for example, if I wanted to draw a Pikachu or a Houndoom in Pokemon.... I'd use a reference.... but i don't use references to change or improve my style usually.....
Hey, this is me! WolfwithWings38! You may call me: WolfwithWings38, Wolf, WolfwithWings, and WolfyWingy Though I really don't know why you would XD ....... and in a nutshell I'm weird when I really want to be! I also don't mind trading... and also PM me if you want to talk or something, I won't bite!
My avatar is colored by me and is my new wolf OC, but lines are made by Vixey!
My Viscets Page Link!: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=3335559&p=105943506#p105943506
Image Image
WolfwithWings38

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

dank thank my dude

Postby Skoomacat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am

this helps a lot! i used to watch speedpaints for art ideas so knowing that it can help can help me!
but i also realized one change i need to make now which is with number two
unintentionally I compare myself to better established artists who have more skill and experience than me and I've noticed this dragging me down so getting some ways to help stop this would also be very helpful because i have a hard time controlling my thoughts (weird i know)
anyway this helps a lot and i love the cover!
zashi, He/The/It
Skoomacat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: dank thank my dude

Postby Cerulean Wake » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Skoomacat wrote:this helps a lot! i used to watch speedpaints for art ideas so knowing that it can help can help me!
but i also realized one change i need to make now which is with number two
unintentionally I compare myself to better established artists who have more skill and experience than me and I've noticed this dragging me down so getting some ways to help stop this would also be very helpful because i have a hard time controlling my thoughts (weird i know)
anyway this helps a lot and i love the cover!

Thank you so much! I'm really glad this is helping somebody. It's just things that I've been through and realized happened/works for myself. Being self conscious of one's art in relation to another person's is something that never really goes away, but you can realize that it's not really useful/rational.

keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
Cerulean Wake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Purrfectpal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 am

I just have to say, you’re like the most helpful artist I’ve encountered that I look up to. You’re the one who got me to where I am by using reference pics for most of my drawings and redrawing things from years ago seeing the improvement. My biggest regret is barely doing digital art last year, I was never in the mood till I found you! Now pretty much every day I’m in the mood to draw and it’s helpled me improve a lot! Your painting tutorial is something that I always look to when painting. Thanks so much Cerulean and Haven ❤️
Art by MintleFlower

♥ ♡ ♥
|| Purrfectpal || She/Her || Adult ||
╔══════════════════╗
Hi, I'm Purrfectpal. I am always open to chat with
new people so feel free to send over a message. <3

╚══════════════════╝
|| carrd | commissions | art shoppe ||
♥ ♡ ♥

art by -WanHeda-
Purrfectpal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cerulean Wake » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:41 am

Purrfectpal wrote:I just have to say, you’re like the most helpful artist I’ve encountered that I look up to. You’re the one who got me to where I am by using reference pics for most of my drawings and redrawing things from years ago seeing the improvement. My biggest regret is barely doing digital art last year, I was never in the mood till I found you! Now pretty much every day I’m in the mood to draw and it’s helpled me improve a lot! Your painting tutorial is something that I always look to when painting. Thanks so much Cerulean and Haven ❤️

Oh my goodness this is really thoughtful! I'm so glad you find my advice and tutorials helpful- it was the reason I tried to make them. I'm so happy that I can inspire people to do more art than before, because it's hard to motivate yourself to make art often and consistently, especially if you hate where your art is at right now.

Seriously, stuff like this makes me glad to be here :D

Also, GOOD JOB!!!!!! You're doing great!! Keep wanting to improve- You can do it! \(^o^)/

keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art
keep making art