Suggestion: Remove "Delete this pet" option

The board to ask questions, report problems, or post suggestions about the site, forum, or pets.

Re: Suggestion: Remove "Delete this pet" option

Postby Obius » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Deleting isn't killing. Its erasing a non living copy. Like destroying a book or video you made. Nothing living is harmed.. Its easy for us to anthropomorphisize non living objects like a car or a coffee machine. Its easier when its lines on a piece of paper shaped like something actually alive in our world. But at the end of the day, those lines are not alive at all. Even if CS Pets were animated and had some AI, they still aren't alive. (AI is still a ways away from becoming anything more than just a robot).

I still don't think deleting is depriving anyone else anymore than hoarding or inactive accounts. I actually think hoarding is the biggest obstacle you face when obtaining pets because anyone can do it. But hoarding is fine on CS. And with the way CS is nowadays, it seems like deleting is seldom done anyways.
Join now for a chance at a rare or very rare pet! Click below to enter!

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blackcat110 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Obius wrote:Deleting isn't killing. Its erasing a non living copy. Like destroying a book or video you made. Nothing living is harmed.. Its easy for us to anthropomorphisize non living objects like a car or a coffee machine. Its easier when its lines on a piece of paper shaped like something actually alive in our world. But at the end of the day, those lines are not alive at all. Even if CS Pets were animated and had some AI, they still aren't alive. (AI is still a ways away from becoming anything more than just a robot).

I still don't think deleting is depriving anyone else anymore than hoarding or inactive accounts. I actually think hoarding is the biggest obstacle you face when obtaining pets because anyone can do it. But hoarding is fine on CS. And with the way CS is nowadays, it seems like deleting is seldom done anyways.

Note that I said "LIKE". And there is a difference between a coffee machine and a sketch of a dog that you adopt and watch grow. You probably don’t think of them as anywhere close to real, but I (having no real pets) do. Also, I wouldn’t bother trying to convince me to change my vote- I’m pretty set on removing the delete button.
Beware the black cat.

Hi, I'm Blackcat110 (Also known as Blackie, Demon, Scorpion, and sometimes Jeepa)!

Scorpion//Female//Darkside//Halloween fanatic

*for info on contacting me, see my trading rules*

I’m always looking for trades and friends on here ^~^
Feel free to PM me about random stuff!

Clicky
Blackcat110

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gallifrey falls. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 pm

I support this! It makes sense for pets to go to a better home rather than just being erased.
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
░░░░░░
░░░░░░

░░░░░░
trade thread
░░░░░░
my auction
░░░░░░
━━━━ in the middle of the night ━━ ━━━━
╔════════════════╗

Hi! My name is gallifrey falls. I'm in
my first year of college currently, so
if I'm slow to respond to any trades
or pms that's probably the reason!
I love writing, though it's all been
fanfiction so far. I'd like to do my
own stuff eventually! My fav shows
are Stranger Things, Doctor Who,
The Good Place, Game of Thrones
and Psych. PM me about anything!
━━━━━━━━━━━━

will always
fill my heart
Image Image

╚════════════════╝
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
gallifrey falls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 am

[ warning: long and ramble-y post ahead ]

@Blackcat110... while I support the removal of the delete button for sure, I wouldn't compare it to killing because of my experience on other petsites where there are actually "kill" options. That said, there are actually in-game purposes for killing, other than "I don't want this anymore", so I see no reason to remove it there.

The site I am referring to is Dragon Cave. Eggs and hatchlings can die if they get not enough views or too many views before growing up, and eggs, hatchlings, and adults can all be killed through account actions. Now, the difference between this and CS deletion is that dying/killing hold actual purposes. Eggs and hatchlings being able to die encourages players to check up on them regularly and take care of them properly. Killing is less clear-cut, but the main uses I see for killing hatchlings and adults are (1) to permanently remove them from other dragon's lineages, and (2) to attempt to revive them into zombie dragons. Neither of those purposes are even remotely applicable to CS. Usually, when someone no longer wants an egg or hatchling, they abandon it—sending it to a page similar to the CS pound, where they can be picked up by other players—or if they no longer want an adult dragon, they release it—meaning the dragon is still "alive" and in existence, but is "wild", not tied to any account, and unable to be picked up by other players. In my experience with the DragCave community, people will also often gift away unwanted eggs or hatchlings; killing is highly uncommon unless it is for a zombie attempt.

How does this all relate to CS? Again, I compare it because on DragCave there are actual in-game purposes for killing, and there are other, much more commonly used options for when a player no longer wants a dragon. None of those purposes are applicable to CS at all; the only real arguments I've seen for deleting pets is either "I want to change its rarity" (which is most likely never going to happen) or "I don't want it anymore" (which there are plenty of alternatives for).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but now that the comparison to killing has been brought up, I thought I'd throw in my two cents due to my experience with other petsites.
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onakra » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 am

My two cents as someone who's only found CS a few months ago (through the Dragon Cave forum no less): in the beginning, my main collecting option was the free adoptions. I had no pets to trade with, and so all I could look for was pets that people no longer wanted or were quitting, and build up my own collection slowly.

I'd like to collect all eventually, but I also am pretty sure I'll probably never get all the old rares just because I just don't have the mass quantity of rares to compete. Which is fine (I'm not lamenting, just giving a newcomer's POV). I'm not greedy just because I want free pets - I am adopting unwanted pets, and I don't have the time-build-up here where I have a ton of old rares to trade for that one dream pet from long time ago. Unless you want like 100 uncommons and like 300 commons (that everyone already has) . . :D

The fact is, I don't see much point in the delete button, especially when you have other options to clear space. Besides, a bunch of people have to delete the same pet in order to change its rarity, and unless it's like some flashmob-level coordination, I'm not sure how it'll happen.

TL:DR There will always be newcomers who don't have those unwanted pets and no way initially to trade for them. Maybe they can build up to get them later, but there's always someone who wants that pet, even the most common ones. Think of the pets!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I am a holibomber! || I have gifted 26 people. || I have received 16 gifts.
Onakra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Xuoit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Support, but deleting isn't really like killing and I've heard a lot of these comments.
A lot of newer players will probably delete their pets instead of trading them which they might regret in the future, so deleting the option would prevent that.
xxxxx
xxx
𝒽𝒶𝓉𝑒.
..ιт'ѕ נυѕт
.αиσтнєя
ωσя∂ fσя
.ѕσмєσиє
уσυ 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒𝒹
..вυт уσυ
иσ ℓσиgєя
вєℓιєνє
ιи ...

┏──── (»--Xuoit--«) ────┓
........She/They | ♈ | EN/FR
.....hi there, im on and off active on
.....here due to school and other
.....things, but i still log on every day
.....to look at stuff. i joined in 2016
.....and know a lot about this game
.....so my inbox is always open if
.....you want to ask something ! ^^

...» trades ° ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ° ... ° sig art ° adopts «
┖─────────────────┚

Xuoit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby theupsidedown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Full support on this! It makes no sense to just delete them in my opinion, there could be someone out there looking high and low for a specific pet that someone deleted.
theupsidedown

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 22tabby » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Support! All I ever see it being used for is the artificial rarity thing and I kinda... don’t support that because it hurts trade economy by forcing those types of changes, in my opinion.
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
being a sheep leads to boredom, being a wolf leads to loneliness. one must choose their fate carefully.
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

x

x
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────
No one will change the person
I am. The person I've become.
And none should try to. Ever.

──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

x

x
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────
Photos in siggy and avvie
were taken by косатка.
Coding also by косатка.

──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

x

"what i do is temporary, but what i leave behind is forever." - Markiplier
22tabby

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lonebluewolf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:17 pm

support this. I don't delete instead pets are being traded away or to pound.
⋆ ⋆ 𝕊𝕌ℂℍ ℙ𝕃𝔸ℂ𝔼 𝔸𝕊
░░░x
░░░x
░░░x
░░░x
░░░x
𝐼
𝒻

𝒴
𝒪
𝒰
╒═════════════════╕
search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing
at all. No matter how far you walk, it's just the
same road, it just goes on and on.
──────────────────────────────────────────

coding credit
╘═════════════════╛
𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕚𝕟 𝕤𝕡𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥...
⋆ ⋆⋆ ⋆⋆
⋆ ⋆⋆ ⋆⋆
lonebluewolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hellish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 am

smofir. wrote:I'd support this suggestion if only we can continue this project: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3454317

And see how it goes? (:

same~

────── the destroyer ──────
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pain... Agony... My hatred burns through the
cavernous deeps. The world heaves with my
torment. Its wretched kingdoms quake beneath
my rage... But at last. The whole of Azeroth will
break, and all will burn beneath the shadow of
my wings...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hellish