Suggestion for the pound event [If continued next year]

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: Suggestion for the pound event [If continued next year]

Postby Obius » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 am

Shian... you might have missed that in my post above, I was talking about the unfair advantage of having a faster connection and a better computer over others (pay to win). Not how much time you spent adopting (play to win). No one should be punished for playing as long as they want. I only want to see some changes to the faster users. To make it more balanced so the slower users have a fairer chance. I have list dreams too ya know.

I dunno. I think its possible to fix both in one swoop. Not by limits, but by a fixed cooldown for the rarity of what you adopt (that can have their times adjusted for regular pound).

So C to OMGSC, would have, say, a 2 minute cooldown. Uncommon would maybe have a 20 minute cooldown.
Rare could have a 3 to 6 hour? cooldown.
Very rare would have something like a 24 hour CD.
OMGSR maybe a 1 week cooldown?
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eaglespirit » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:51 am

I'm still unsure if its needed for the regular pound, and lean towards the number limit (instead of cool down) for the event because eventually people with fast internet reach the limit and give opportunities to slower internet players, but the main thing I wonder is if it can be added at all. I know nothing about coding so I really have no clue. Nicks the tech guy right? How do I get his attention xD?
Currently Collecting:
Cats- 8 Left - Lions - UR Lion
2013 - ??
All Advent List Pets - ??

Trades/Chicken$ stores
Rares For Trade
1C$ Each
2 For 1C$ 2C$ and Over
Eaglespirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 am

If the server already remembers that you adopted a pet from the pound, and remembers how long you need to wait to adopt again, its not much of a stretch to have the server do a rarity check and adjust the time you are prevented from adopting again. At least I don't think it will be a more laggy change.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shooting Stars » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Obius wrote:Shian... you might have missed that in my post above, I was talking about the unfair advantage of having a faster connection and a better computer over others (pay to win). Not how much time you spent adopting (play to win). No one should be punished for playing as long as they want. I only want to see some changes to the faster users. To make it more balanced so the slower users have a fairer chance. I have list dreams too ya know.

I dunno. I think its possible to fix both in one swoop. Not by limits, but by a fixed cooldown for the rarity of what you adopt (that can have their times adjusted for regular pound).

So C to OMGSC, would have, say, a 2 minute cooldown. Uncommon would maybe have a 20 minute cooldown.

You actually think having a fast internet connection is a pay-to-win thing? Maybe you don't know what pay-to-win is? I honestly doubt people decide to upgrade their internet or computer just so they can have a slight better chance to adopt pixel pets anyways.

Hours, days, and weeks are kind of ridiculous. One week for an OMGSR? What even are the odds that two OMGSR pets would just show up in the Pound? Not being able to adopt for a week anyways is horrible anyways..
Six hours for a rare? 24 for a VR? I can understand like, a half hour to and hour? But 24?

I absolutely know if cooldowns were set in place (at least for Pound Events), the event would move a LOT slower (in which then people would complain). Especially if a lot of older players (like myself) participate. Most of my wishlist (which is what I try to get from the Pound) is rare+ because I collected most of the commons (that I like). Am I supposed to just sit back and let everyone else catch up because I clicked faster? Do I not have a right to complete my wishlist and achieve my dreams (I have list dreams too ya know) because I have a good internet service? (Which I do not pay for, as I am in highschool, so I have no control anyways..) :/

♫ Currently living on the air in Cincinnati ♫

| xxx |
Featured Song: Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
Shooting Stars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:34 pm

I absolutely know if cooldowns were set in place (at least for Pound Events), the event would move a LOT slower (in which then people would complain). Especially if a lot of older players (like myself) participate. Most of my wishlist (which is what I try to get from the Pound) is rare+ because I collected most of the commons (that I like). Am I supposed to just sit back and let everyone else catch up because I clicked faster? Do I not have a right to complete my wishlist and achieve my dreams (I have list dreams too ya know) because I have a good internet service? (Which I do not pay for, as I am in highschool, so I have no control anyways..) :/

These are my feelings as well. If cooldowns are in place, that would mean something has to check for a cooldown. This would hurt people with a slower internet connection I'd think.

I can't say as I support losing the ability to use the pound just because I happen to catch a rare.

I collect all kinds of pets. From common to rare, I don't support the idea that people should be prevented from using the pound because they happen to get lucky once and now they can't even get more commons because they might be lucky enough to catch another rare.

Want to know how many rares I got during the event? None. Zero. I got 26 new lovelies to add to my collection though, most of them common hoardies that people aren't interested in to begin with. It would suck so bad if that number was just one because I happen to catch one rare.

I get what you're saying, but I really don't feel like this is a good solution to the problem of people getting many rares at once. For some people, this is the only time of year where they get rares since the pound was more or less open at all hours of the day.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eaglespirit » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

I think you misunderstand Star
You'd still be able to adopt, but if you hit your limit for rares all rares would have something like the 'Already Adopted' label on them. Maybe 'Unavailable'. Lesser rarities would still be adoptable under their normal cool down. So if you did manage to get an OMGSR you'd still be able to get VRs and rares (Until their limit is hit).

Shian I doubt the already overly-busy and slow pound event would be affected much if the program is simple
Currently Collecting:
2013 - ??

Trades/Chicken$ stores
Rares For Trade
1C$ Each
2 For 1C$ 2C$ and Over
Eaglespirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 am

Obius wrote:Shian... you might have missed that in my post above, I was talking about the unfair advantage of having a faster connection and a better computer over others (pay to win). Not how much time you spent adopting (play to win). No one should be punished for playing as long as they want. I only want to see some changes to the faster users. To make it more balanced so the slower users have a fairer chance. I have list dreams too ya know.

I just got an '08 very rare from the pound. It was there on the second refresh. I'm also disabled and don't have work or school and sleep very little, and only usually miss one pound opening a day. My internet's the worst in my area (no access to fibre optics or anything). The moral of that story is that it had nothing to do with my internet connection, but that the more openings you're there to witness, the more chances you'll have to pick up good stuff.. which makes it play to win. In introducing cooldowns to an account like mine, you would be only punishing me for playing more. It's not "pay to win" unless you're paying chickensmoothie for a better chance at getting rares. The site can't feasibly be held accountable for user's good or bad internet connections, etc. Perhaps that act of goodwill could be extended to balance a pound event, but in general other petsites of similar calibre don't have balancing based on internet connections.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eaglespirit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for your input Iridisium :3 you can put it to words better then me.
One thing that might be nessicary to take into account though is I bet your 08 VR was a rat (Or just a lesser know VR in general? I know there's some pets that I forget even exist), and thus had less people clicking on it because of that. But in general the normal pound does seem more fair because of the larger number of pets and the decreased amount of players clamoring for pets
Currently Collecting:
2013 - ??

Trades/Chicken$ stores
Rares For Trade
1C$ Each
2 For 1C$ 2C$ and Over
Eaglespirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist