Suggestion: Way To Find Pets

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Suggestion: Way To Find Pets

Postby Queen Hydra » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:58 am

Hi.
So I recently started hanging out on Cs again after about a year break, and I return to find a similar problem that I used to have. As one who collects pets, many pets, and has them organized very specifically, trying to find a stray critter is a challenge. Whether it gets accidentally moved to a wrong group or I'm trying to tackle organizing my "without a group" group (I slowly work to organize them into small groups), it would be much simpler if I had a way to locate a certain pet. I am not sure how this could be implemented, but I was thinking maybe something along the lines of this:
When you view the archives, if you own at least one of a pet, there could be a pull-down list or something that lists the pets of that specific type you have. Maybe it tells you their name and/or group. So you could click it and it takes you to them, or that group and page. That way if you lost a pet and couldn't find it among various groups, all you'd have to do is go to the archive, find it, and click.
I think that would help to solve this problem.
I imagine I'm not the only one who occasionally moves a pet to the wrong place. And I don't know, maybe this has been suggested before, or maybe there's some fix to it that I'm not aware of (if there is I'd really like to know cause I can't find a certain bunny...).

Thank you.
We are all small on the wings of time, twirling about through the universe as a tiny mote twirls in the wind.
Queen Hydra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion: Way To Find Pets

Postby Light Bringer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Oh sounds like a great idea. Supporting this.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
LIGHTS OFF
xxxxxxxx

Light Bringer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:49 pm

This kind of thing has been suggested before a few times, but ultimately turned down because of server strain - the site would have to go through everyone's pets every time they tried to load an archive page, and it would probably severely slow down the server.
    If you need help locating a certain pet though, feel free to ask! (:

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen Hydra » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:47 am

There should be some sort of alternative then, if you ask me. It's frustrating when you have so many pets to try and sort through them. Maybe something next to the archive pet that tells you how many of one type you have or links you to 1, 2, 3.. and you click the numbers to go to each of them, if you have multiples...or it tells you which group the pets of that type are in, no links involved...I dunno. It seems like we could come up with something. With so many pets to sort through, I just feel it is extremely inconvenient for there to be no way to find individuals, especially when they have a different date than in the archives because they're from the Christmas rare pet gift event thing or something.
I was once told you could type the pet's name into the url bar and it would show up- that used to help me, but I don't even name pets anymore and after seeing hundreds and hundreds of them they all sort of blur. Not to mention I was gone for a year. That might help some people though who are having troubles.

Right now I can't find this bunny:

I know I have it and have seen it, it says I have it in the archive, but unless I'm just overlooking it- it's lost in the void of groups. I couldn't find it in my Bunny group or the Easter 09 group or my ungrouped group. I have double checked, probably just need to go triple check. Maybe it's one of those from the Christmas event so it has a different date, and it isn't in the correct order. I don't know but I can't find it ahhhh.

I just found it hiding in the ungrouped group, saying it is from 2014 (I guess because of the Christmas gift thing). But I still believe some sort of search or something needs to be thought up- especially since, as you said Iris, it has been suggested several times before. Obviously people want something to help them organize the wonderful and beautiful pets and save us from a little bit of the stress of losing them then having to search and search and potentially not find them. I think it is worth trying to figure out a some sort of way.
We are all small on the wings of time, twirling about through the universe as a tiny mote twirls in the wind.
Queen Hydra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sicarian14 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:21 pm

How about an undo button? I usually catch it right after I send it to the wrong group.
I don't know how to make fancy signatures :c
Sicarian14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen Hydra » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:13 am

Well once you send it to a new group there's the option to go to "new group", which is the group you sent the pets to. I think that is kinda the same thing, you just have to select them and move them again. Though if you had just put a lot of pets into a different group it might be helpful so you don't have to go select each of them again.
Queen Hydra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Painful Affinity » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:57 am

This is interesting. Is there really no way to do this without too much strain on the server? It could be very helpful after all.

What if the search didn't go through some button in the archives but a drop down menu which you can access through your groups? It could have narowing search functions for species, colours, artists etc.

Or would this also overload the server?
Not to mention how much work it would be to code the whole thing..

Painful Affinity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:24 am

Painful Affinity wrote:This is interesting. Is there really no way to do this without too much strain on the server? It could be very helpful after all.

What if the search didn't go through some button in the archives but a drop down menu which you can access through your groups? It could have narowing search functions for species, colours, artists etc.

Or would this also overload the server?
Not to mention how much work it would be to code the whole thing..

Something similar to this has been suggested, actually, but it would require going through and tagging all the pets as their appropriate colour, species, whatever. I honestly don't know how much that would cause in terms of strain, but it is a really good idea.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen Hydra » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 am

I agree, that's a good idea. It would probably take a lot of work, but some sort of organizational option seems like a very good idea considering the number of pets that CS has and the number of players who collect them. Since this general issue has been suggested numerous times, it obviously is something that the folks want. Painful's idea sounds like somewhere at least to start. Who knows maybe someone else has other ideas as well! I'll have to keep thinking, but that one sounds to me like a good way to perhaps not overload the servers as much.
Queen Hydra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen Hydra » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:38 am

^
Queen Hydra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me