How many is too many? Is anyone else having these problems?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: How many is too many? Is anyone else having these proble

Postby Make_a__Scene » Sat May 12, 2012 7:24 am

I have the problem on my iPad and phone sometimes, but no problems at all on my MacBook.
Could it also be the browser itself?
    I do not have writer's block
    My writer just hates the clock
Make_a__Scene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby benny5678 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 am

my just slowed down and my computer is 1 year old appoximantly sorry for spelling but this would be useful caus eit slowed mine down to and that was alot of moving signatures on that page lol XD

Yes i am a girl. just with an odd username in honor of my dog with cancer.

Need 1,000,000 cats!!!! please help and send me some trades, its for a good cause. check out rachel's challenge.

Looking for C$ or the new store dogs despertly! please send a trade!
benny5678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Sat May 12, 2012 2:05 pm

That page slows down my computer too, it takes so long to load the gifs. I'd love to be able to just block them automatically but we apparently can't automate a blocker that requires measuring filesizes of .gifs (and the small .gifs aren't really a problem so we don't really want to just block them all).

I think if we make an official rule against it, people will quickly forget the rule exists within a week or 2, so it won't be super effective. Not to mention a lot of people don't know how to check the file size of images they've just found on the web so they'd probably be unwittingly breaking it even if they read the rule.

They'll probably just have to be removed on a case-by-case basis (i.e. if it slows down your computer excessively then report it, if it slows down my computer too then I'll remove it and let them know why they can't use it)
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hyaci » Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Tess- why not have an option to block them all? No one would be forced to do it, but we could choose to.
Used to be GloveDove!
My wonderful sister, kashiko, sometimes uses my account to blab on some forum.
She writes in italics.

Last edited: 8:28 CDT (GMT -6), March 20somethingimonbreakireallyhavenoidea, 2013
hyaci

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Fri May 18, 2012 7:19 am

I've never had any problems with gifs and I could view that page just fine. My computer is about a year or so old too. But if you go to your account settings, click on "board preferences", and then click on "edit display options", you can choose not to display signatures, avatars, flash animations, etc. Maybe that would help you.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 am

That page is now drastically different from when the problem was first reported, so no you would not have a problem because the problem gifs have been removed. I also addressed your second point in the very second post in this thread.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 pm

GloveDove wrote:Tess- why not have an option to block them all? No one would be forced to do it, but we could choose to.

If we had a thing to automatically block or hide gifs on command, it would hide a LOT of non-problematic images, since not all gifs are animated and not all animated gifs cause loading problems.

It would be about as effective as turning off signatures completely - there would be hardly anything left in signatures and you'd be hiding a lot of stuff that didn't need to be hidden. A lot of artwork is saved in gif format, animated or not, it's just a useful compression format for images. Most animated gifs (particularly stuff like pixel artwork) don't cause any major loading issues for anyone because they only contain a few colors, which keeps the file size down and makes them speedier to load. The only real problems for most people are caused by gifs which are like a video file turned into an image - e.g. clips of people's fav celebrities from scenes in movies. These typically have huge file sizes since the gif compression format isn't really designed for handling photos or videos, there are way too many colors involved in real life.
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Fri May 18, 2012 11:47 pm

-Firestar- wrote:That page is now drastically different from when the problem was first reported, so no you would not have a problem because the problem gifs have been removed. I also addressed your second point in the very second post in this thread.

Alright, no need to be snippy. -_- I was just trying to help. It could be that that's the only way you would be able to solve the problem, so you may want to consider it anyway if the problem is really getting annoying, or you might have to just leave things the way they are and endure it if you really want to be able to see everyone's signatures and creativity. It's up to you, which is more important?
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sat May 19, 2012 2:25 am

Considering I can have both, I choose both. I can just report the signatures that give my computer problems and adblock the rest. Thanks Tess.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Sat May 19, 2012 5:33 pm

I didn't notice any increased CPU usage on that page using Chrome, maybe Firefox just sucks at rendering animated GIFs?
Nick
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me