Art theft and referencing

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Art theft and referencing

Postby horsy1050 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 am

I just really wanted to clarify what was art theft and what wasn't, becuase on the topic on art theft it says photo references are only to be used for pose help not copied exactly.

Yet CS lets people do exact copies of photo's obtained from Google or other site with only a link the description, with no evidence that they obtained permission to use the photo.

So I just want a clear outline of what is and isn't allowed.

Thank you.

no matter what you do, someone will always be unhappy.
Don't let that person always be you.
- horsy1050

horsy1050 wrote:Looking at people post dates and thinking: "There aren't 26 months...oh...America"

Commissions: Closed | Requests: Closed | Artist? No

My Wme's: Here today, still here tomorrow
horsy1050

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Art theft and referencing

Postby Jazz'sFreedom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 am

Same with me. I am getting really confused what is art theft and what isn't art theft.

From the way some people explain it, I'm getting confused about this topic.
Its starting to look like you can't truly reference at all in a way.

-Jazzy
Hello.
Jazz'sFreedom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Soraya » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:44 pm

I was a bit confused about this issue.

Sense photography counts as art, and you copy a photograph, it should count as art-theft.

I think this is a problem that gets over-looked a lot. Sense a lot of people don't think things like poetry or photography as art. They seem to only believe that certain things count as art. (i.e. drawings)

I, as a photographer, don't think that directly copying a photograph should be allowed.
LiveStream[Offline]
.: | :. Artwork Status .: | :.
|Comissions:| -never- |Art Trades:| PM me
|Requests:| -never- |Collabs:| PM me
_____
Fursona
I used to be Lady Arisu
I have my account set up so it doesn't show that I am online. So I may, or may not, be online. You will never know.
I do not RP with power-plays or god-modders. (You know who you are)
Lady Soraya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 pm

These are the rules you need to follow on CS:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30437

Using photo references for your artwork:

If you heavily reference your artwork from a photograph then please provide credit to the photo by providing a link to the original. Your credit should be clearly visible, and not hidden in tiny text or as far from the image as possible.

the "guide to using a reference correctly" was written by a member, not staff, and therefore are not rules you need to follow. I've edited a note into the guide to make that clearer for members.

referencing from a photo doesn't break the rules, as long as you give full credit as explained. Even when copying the pose. However, if the original photographer contacts us asking for the image to be removed, it will be.

If you feel you have recently been told something different by a staff member, please PM an admin assistant for advice. Sometimes even the staff make mistakes about what does and doesn't break the art rules, since it's a common belief that we have rules against copying poses from photos (we don't).
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me