Art theft

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Art theft

Postby wibeke » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:19 am

I'm not sure if this should be a suggestion or not, but I think there needs to be a sticky or anouncement about art theft here.

I was looking through the creativity board and saw a lot of people stealing art and claiming it as their own. Even though the mods closed a few of them, there were still a lot of stolen pictures. I reported one, but I don't really feel like reporting that many topics. =(

I was thinking that if there was a sticky about this maybe it would cut down on some of the art theft. Maybe it could say something about how art theft is illegal and that using pictures from other people's photo bucket accounts and google images is still stealing.

And also, I think people should be punished in some way for art theft, instead of just closing their topics. Because then they might not learn anything from it if they only lose their topic. Maybe they could lose a few pets or something like that.

I'm just wondering what others think, I think it would be a good idea.

jen they/them ace dumpster fire
aka wibekapedia

always open for commissions on DA

talk to me about pigeons!

● ● ●

art shop - deviantart
my kalons
wibeke

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Art theft

Postby Major » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Hm, art theft is like hotlinking...only in an artsy claim version. Thefts should be punished, but it's hard to track all of them down. I suppose for a fair punishment, they could loose a few pets, or be banned from adopting for a month, or so. I think that if someone explained what art theft is/why is bad/why not to do it, that would be an excellent post. If thefts read it, and least they would understand. Some people don't know what art theft is at all.
But, I do like your idea :)
M A J O R
- proud owner of every cs rat
- real life german shepherd mom
- receptionist @ a veterinarian clinic
- lover of rock and roll, the outdoors, aquaculture, reading, decorating, ornithology, naps, the colour yellow
- i am generous and friendly; a little less greed on this site would be lovely to see
Major

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cinereus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:43 pm

I definitely agree that there needs to be some sort of announcement/warning about this, and some repercussions for repeat offenders. I think first-timers should just get a slap on the wrist and get pointed to the post about art theft, as they may not know they did anything wrong.

Also, if people use lineart made by other people, they need to make it VERY CLEAR in their post that they did not make the lineart. In my own art thread I use some lineart I didn't make, but I'm always sure to keep the copyright visible, and I say multiple times in my post that I did not make the lineart and should not recieve full credit for the picture.

And with the "real" fursona pictures going around, there really needs to be some sort of text on there saying who the picture belongs to - .i.e. "This picture taken from "http://*site name*.com" with permission from photographer."
ImageImage
Gray | he/his/him
Cinereus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nitoa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Thank you for posting this. I've seen other people's lineart going around drawing competitions, and it annoys me to no end, because most aren't coloring contests, and they don't even say that the lineart isn't theirs. Art theft is rediculous, and should be stopped.

For punishment, I agree with the warning first, then taking away an older dog of theirs, then going with not allowing them to adopt for a month. It should get worse each time they deal the crime.

This definitely should be stickied.

-nod-
all of my pets in my 'Freebies' group are free ~ just send a trade request!

my free art shop (open!)

(wait times may be super long for my free shop. i am much quicker with art trades! feel free to pm if interested.)
nitoa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trish the Stalker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:03 pm

*nods*

Artwork that you have not created yourself is not something you can claim as your own. It is incredibly illegal and also just unfair to others and yourself. It's not only taking something that's not yours, but you're claiming effort and skill that isn't your own. Even if your art isn't as good it's still better to use your own work, it's the only way you get better. Besides, it's much nicer to be praised for your own work than something someone else did. Not to mention simply colouring lineart and claiming the whole piece as your own is just as bad, if not worse, seeing as someone put in a bunch of effort for lines that they let other people use and someone couldn't even be bothered to credit the line artist. It's things like that which ruin things for other people, and good artists stop posting their artwork as well as good line artists stop sharing their linework.
Trish the Stalker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toastberg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm

lily.flower wrote:Thank you for posting this. I've seen other people's lineart going around drawing competitions, and it annoys me to no end, because most aren't coloring contests, and they don't even say that the lineart isn't theirs. Art theft is rediculous, and should be stopped.

Ack! Yes! Finally, someone in the same problem as me!!! I have been getting extremely annoyed with the people who enter in contests with a lineart which isn't even theirs but edits it up realistically and fantastically with editing programs! And where is there to go for people like me who only have MS paint, not even a scanner?

I agreee with you 100% there.
~RESUME INDEFINITE PROBABLY-PERMANENT HIATUS~
My work here is done.
Thanks again to those who entered in my competition. I'll be off now. Have a nice life out there.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 3catfish3 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Agree,I too have only Paint and no scanner for me :cry: Even more,sometimes people even steal ideas of adoptables,and it really annoys me.If they ask and I agree-I agree only if they give me credit(not pets,but like a text below that the idea is from 3cafish3 or so)-then yes,the idea is yours,but not whitout asking! XO
I am not selfish.I am catfish.Not selfish.

ImageImage

Dead account- I am now found HERE
3catfish3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wibeke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 am

Good to see some people agree with me. Now all's we have to do is get a mod to see this and hopefully make the post.

I'll start listing people's ideas so that whoever does end up making the post will know what we want to put in it. =D

Post content
explanation of what art theft and hot linking is
Links to sites that have free images you can use
Something about how to credit the artist/photographer
Art theft is a crime
It's better to just make your own art
(possibly) free lines banned in drawing competitions
Google images and deviant art pictures are copyrighted
Anything else we suggest...

Punishments
(I think the mods would have to decide on this part though)
Fist time: Person directed to art theft thread and a mod closing the topic
Second time: person loses one of their old pets or can't adopt pet's for a week
Third time: Person loses old pet and can't adopt for the month
Fourth time: Maybe account deletion or the same as third time

I could make the topic if the mods or Tess don't want to. =D

jen they/them ace dumpster fire
aka wibekapedia

always open for commissions on DA

talk to me about pigeons!

● ● ●

art shop - deviantart
my kalons
wibeke

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kathylilia » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:20 am

I will like if their rares will be putted on pound for punishment, or a temporarily ban
ImageImage Image

dusk is my bff who help me trade pets
kathylilia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me