✦ meet me on the battlefield !!

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢

Postby Vivika » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:01 am

✦ ━ 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐘
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. lezahnotes. n/a <3 ⊱‎
    i fear losing myself to the grey.

where the line between reality and fantasy is fuzzy
    where the border between apathy and empathy is blurred
    where the waters between sea and shore run lukewarm

in the grey, when you look in the mirror
        mind numb, static sound, one way down
    you don’t see yourself
        ashen haze, empty gaze, broken maze
    you see nothing.
    nothing at all.

and i fear walking away from that mirror
    as if nothing was ever wrong.

...............................................-lana
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢

Postby Vivika » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:38 pm

✦ ━ 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐒
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. luisa, brunonotes. rewrite (part one) <3 ⊱‎
    the stench of blood roses never left the hanging gardens.

in the gardens, there was rest. solace for the sinners, saints and all the souls who stood in between. and of course, the king’s sentinels. the wages of death never left those heavy souls, and even the cheap aroma of romance couldn’t mask the stench of moral filth beneath the surface. yet, still they tried. an endless waste of time for them and an added insult to her peace.

she broke from the depths of the pool, beads of water rushing through her curls and a whirlwind of firelight koi around her━butterfly fins like a smattering of fireworks through the darkened skies. the last wisps of daylight flitted through the drapings of florals and ivy, casting shadows along the surface, but it could never eclipse the furl of a single scarlet petal, drifting alongside the waterlilies.

“and here, i thought water was supposed to be refreshing.” through the tapestry of florals, a head of warm curls tousled with seabreeze and spice eclipsed the night. a slow grin tugged at the ends of his lips, one side lifting higher than the other. “hate to break it to you, but i don’t think the water did you any favors, lu.”

“ever the charmer, bruno.” the scarlet petal still drifted, idle at her periphery. “come closer to the waters, i dare you. we’ll see who looks more dead inside after.”

his laughter was the warmth of a bonfire. crackling of light and life, the essence of light camaraderie from harvest moon gatherings. loud and booming, but effortlessly authentic. “i’ve only ever won once in a fight against you. i’d say that’s good enough for me for... well, a long time.”

and yet, he still dared to come to the edge of the pool.

with quick footwork, he tiptoed through the lush carpet of moss to the pool’s siding, balance steady against the slippery stones. his gaze darted towards her, shoulders ever so tense, anticipating a scuffle. if he were anyone else, she'd send him staggering straight into the pools. instead, she let him come, cautiously and tentatively, pressing his warmth against hers, the fragrance of spice sweet on his breath.

already, her nexus whined, squeals of notifs and pinlights of protest. if it were up to her, that idiot device would find its permanent resting place as a plaything for the koi. she swiped the screen, letting the glare mirror bruno’s features. “i didn’t think you’d leave the party so quickly. worried about your meeting?” unlikely, and it'd be a first for him. “who's it with again?”

flickers of a frown flitted along his brows, before smoothing to a softer smile.

“ah, party's just not the same without our captain. we should be celebrating the capture of the messenger. us.” his touch wandered, delicate and light, tracing circles against her back. “but hey, here we are. you ever think that the king’s summons may not be all doom and gloom?”

too many possibilities, too many angles. the king’s summons meant almost anything, but in this era, nothing good came out of one. a reprimand, stricter orders to carry out on the populace, tighter reigns of control, rumors of treason, the next execution date… nothing was off the table. all certainly within the realms of the king’s agenda. an agenda with her name on it.

yet, her tongue couldn’t curl to voice that. something about the soft light haloed in those eyes, the well-meaning smile, the scent of sweetspice and seabreeze between them made her refrain.

she sighed. “just between you and me, lieutenant, i suppose… it could be a promotion after our latest success.”

“i’d drink to that.” a wink danced like a blacksmith’s flame in the set of his eyes. “how about a toast? to the future general of the imperial━”

after your meeting, bruno.”
    ........ and after mine.

chasing him aside with a light splash of water, she rose from the pool’s edge. the slabs of calloused stone beneath her toes morphed into a ghostly shade. daylight had fallen from its throne and the triplet crescent moons grinned from above, smile like a scythe’s.

illuminating the single rose petal that had followed her out of the waters.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐢𝐱

Postby Vivika » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:11 pm

✦ ━ 𝐒𝐊𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. oliviernotes. part 1/2 of this lil scene <3 ⊱‎
    sworn-in as an imperial guard at noon, break the law as a criminal at midnight.

“sounds about right.” adjusting his feathered mask on his features, he pulled his dark cloak tighter around his frame, shutting out the midnight chill. along the ashen sidewalks, the splash of indigo and navy lights from the nightclub’s rotating spherebot dimmed as he turned the corner and slipped into the alleys.

a ridiculous measure of percaution.

the tiny bulge of his cloak brushed against his side, a chiding reminder. his comm piece’s tracker was deactivated, snug in a pocket installed with diodes of signal scramblers. it’d take eons for anyone to track him. and voids, he was just breaching curfew!

in the twist of shadows, a labyrinth unfolded. the tang of fresh spray-paint hung in the dead air and sparks from veins of tattered wiring illuminated the walls in flashes of light. familiar, yet different every time. the neon slogans and statements along the alleys shifted from night to night; painted over by landscapers with their muted tones at daylight, before splashed over by the night crew returning with a vengeance.

the message never changed━they just became larger and louder. simple words evolving into bubble letters surrounded with jagged shapes. aerosol paint shifting to a bioluminscent paint, bigger, bolder and a bust to the king’s riches to erase.

he ducked underneath a bone-white pole, almost slamming into a pile of rubble. the rubble’s face stared back at him, frame twisted in the shape of a skull, dripping with threadbare crimson cloth.

“hey, skullface. moved a little closer to the corner tonight, huh?” snorting, he patted the top of the heap and hurled himself over. that too, always changed. the souls who haunted this realm piled up whatever junk in heaps, designing scarebots as boundary markers. “alright, down we go━”

at the top, a glass bottle toppled.

ghostly green glass fell in a downspiral, ending its short life in a shattering finale. the shadows shivered, enveloping everything in a bottomless void. he winced. grounding himself, he slid along the length of a thin wooden board crackling under his weight.

his toes had scarcely touched steady ground, before the shadows devoured him.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱

Postby Vivika » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:07 am

✦ ━ 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. enya • notes. dec '23 bio blurb rewrite <3 ⊱‎
    enya ━ the sword never leaves !!
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱𝐢

Postby Vivika » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:26 pm

✦ ━ 𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. kamari, luisanotes. lil bonus scene ⊱‎
    » 23:23 «

he isn't talking.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxalready? he couldn't even shut it when
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxwe first brought him in.

that's the thing. he talks… a lot, actually,
    but he keeps insisting he's innocent.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxthey all do.

he's either a talented, pathological liar or
    genuinely telling the truth, captain.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxthe rebels adapt. they've become smarter
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxwith their choices for spies.

i don't think even the rebels would choose
    this one. his grid sim scores are… less than
    ideal. he lacks all the usual qualities.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprecisely why he's the messenger.

right now, he’s just worried about his son.
    he keeps asking about him.

i think he’s innocent.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcareful, commander. remember your place.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxwe have till 06:00 before we hand him over to the king.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkeep him talking. if he wants to talk about his son, ask him
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxabout his family. the seeds of rebellion usually begin there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkeep me updated on further developments.

i understand.
    and captain? good luck.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢

Postby Vivika » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:29 pm

in the abyss of her nexus, the spire of the palace glinted like the end of a freshly-minted scepter.

glass spheres of hanging gardens levitated around it as if planets orbiting the sun, the pristine symmetry of coifed florals and dangling ivy still never quite natural from a distance. dark steel bled into the night, illuminated with a streak of pulsing azure energy.

her heart thrummed to the beat of throbbing energy, each pulse reverberating right down to her toes. the game awaiting her was simple. the king always had an angle and she just had to play her cards right. luck had nothing to do with this. it came down to timing and navigating it with poise, grace and tact. with a flick of her wrist, she dismissed the soft glow of digitized layers from her nexus, sliding through app decks one by one until they dissolved in a flare of pixels.

while the hand dealt to her was far from cooperative… she’d manage.

biding her time, she crossed into the courtyards of the palace, each step precise and measured. only fools rushed the palace. different fools each time, but fools nonetheless. the hungry, the desperate, the protestor, the swarm of media officials and even the odd content creator for the views. and in the earlier days, the rebels.

tonight, only the swish of running water crooned in the hushed space. a squad of guards parted like a sea of shadows, the faintest glow of bruised light brushing the sharp angles of their faces. indigo light flickered, signalling the passing of the hour.

24:00.

the large digital clock framed the steel of the palace’s inner walls, its colons pulsing with each passing second. above it, four metal holdings pierced the walls, pinchers empty of their familiar twin blades. her gaze glazed over it, shifting instead to a sleek glass screen scrawled with blue scrolling text. a blip and a series of lines flashed red.

meeting scheduled for 24:15 delayed to 1:00.

a soft confirmation ping from her nexus flooded the muted hush of the halls. innocent as the ditty of a songbird, but it only sent her stomach coiling. her lips settled into a grim line as she veered aside, straightening her shoulders.

the king would not be in pleasant mood, tonight.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢

Postby Vivika » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:34 pm

killing time was nothing like hunting down a suspected rebel.

the latter required focus, precision and thorough planning, while its predecessor required nothing to merely eat at her sanity. her jaw clenched as she swiveled through the kitchens, opting for the long route to the throneroom.

sleek glass countertops backlit with a splash of indigo lights adorned the room’s center. a small form slumped, shoulders hunched like the rolling hills of a servant’s back, his firelight curls gently draped along the colorful glass. beside him, a swivelling tray of sticky buns and lemongrass-spiced meat rolls levitated, the flowing blue lights cascading like a fountain. the faintest fragrance of roses lingered, melding with the savory spice in the air.

leftovers at this hour were complimentary. of sorts. with the king’s supper over, anything else was irrelevant to him. and apparently, the servants didn’t mind vanishing leftovers. or sharing them. but that was coming from bruno with his dark lashes and easy warmth, along with that smile that could charm just about any living creature in sight. and… she hadn’t exactly been immune to it either.

voids, bruno could charm a chair if he tried hard enough. but she? she didn't have that luxury.

“you.” she rapped the colorful glass, her shadow falling over the sleeping form. “don’t let the king catch you sleeping. and pass that tray over. quickly, i have a meeting to attend to soon.”

the sprawl of firelight curls snapped to attention.

“ah, i- but of course. my apologies, captain.”

if his gaze ever flitted to hers, she didn’t catch it. he was subtle. she didn’t catch the glow of those eyes reflected in the silver medallions of her formal brocade, nor registered the recognition of rank in his eyes. if anything, he kept his eyes lowered, pinned on the swiveling tray. “sticky buns or the meat rolls? there’s mooncakes at the back i can have brought out, too.”

he shifted and his spinning stool slid out, catching on a dark bundle of balled-up fabric underneath.

no, not just any fabric.

a shimmer of silver undulated in flickering geometric patterns as if scales under sunlight. one corner of the hem evaded the shadows, riding on the silver, cylindrical base of the stool. in a blink, the corner morphed. one moment a dark billowing silk of shadows, the next as silver as a sheet of glossy metal.

this type of fabric was unlike any other. implanted with diodes and sensors, along with a matrix of electrical veins arrayed like a network of constellations in the night skies. scientists had perfected the craft after lunes of study, creating the perfect camouflage just like an octopus’s ability to shift colors to match its terrain. to own fabric like this could only mean━

her heartbeat stuttered, before crashing like a staccato wave back onto her. this time, it was her turn to lower her eyes, head dipping in a curt nod as she swept into a low, formal bow.

he was no servant.

this one was a member of the king’s imperial guard. his personal guard, the elite of azeryn’s imperial army. the king aside, one of the most powerful souls in the land. and she’d just spoken to him like a mere servant.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯

Postby Vivika » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:24 pm

✦ ━ 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐒
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. luisa, rafinotes. rewrite (part four) ⊱‎
    she did not dare lift her gaze.

an imperial guard had every right to deal with her and whomever they so pleased in whatever fashion. they weren’t above the law, but they could easily justify their actions with a simple explanation: possible threat to the crown. it would suffice. case closed.

but she’d come too far to perish because of some idiot elitist guard with a penchant for antics. she gritted her teeth, finding the right syllables for the occasion. “forgive me, your honor.”

if he attacked, she could throw herself under the kitchen counters. the palace was enough of a labyrinth that she could lose him in the catacombs of mirrored steel hallways until she reached the courtyards. she could find refuge in the city, but what was the point? she had nowhere to go. no family to turn to. and voids, she would never pull her squad into this━

stars, i should be asking for your forgiveness. you couldn’t have known.” delicate steps threaded over to her, scattering light and shadows. he dropped to a crouch and luminous eyes connected with hers, the faintest hint of a rosy tint upon the planes of his features. “here, you said you were hungry?”

“i-” a silver plate glided towards her, draped in an elegant array of sticky buns wrapped in dried palm leaves and perfectly bronzed rolls lush with spiced meat. she staggered backwards, the plate almost sliding past her grasp. “sir? i wouldn’t expect━”

“rafi. just rafi.” a smile adorned his lips, the set of his eyes curving into crescent moons. despite everything, the softness in them seemed to slow the staccato rhythm of her heart. “it’s just us, so let’s forget the formalities if… that’s alright?”

“i-yes. as you wish.” too many questions burned at the tip of her tongue. if she wasn’t careful, a foolish remark would slip out. instead, she tore a bite off her roll, the crisp crackle of the deep-fried pastry crumbling in her mouth. perhaps it was a breach of some etiquette, but right now she’d suffer silence than risk some greater sin. even better, perhaps the silence would chase him away.

it didn’t.

✦✦✦

the imperial guard folded into the seat beside her with a plate of his own. “... i think i owe you a few answers.”

voids, she could care less.

the absence of a rebuke or the harsh bite of a strike seemed to loosen her lips, sending her off-kilter. she gripped the countertops, the sharp corners of colored glass cutting through the fog of her mind. this was just another game. another game to play with the right strategy and win. she eased a breath in to compose herself and slid off her seat. “you don’t owe me anything. in fact, i’ll take my leave now if you will.”

“i think i gave you quite the scare with my deception, which must count for something.” the cadence of his voice drifted, rich, inviting and faintly musical, giving way to a conspiratorial wink. “it wasn't intentional. i come here sometimes when it's quiet. to… think.”

in one fluid motion, he reached under the counters for the dark bundle, shaking it out. the cloak fluttered in the low light, undulating in slow, rippling waves, before pooling on the kitchen floors. the faintest fragrance of lavender and roses lingered as the fabric scintillated, already morphing to match the silver hexagonal tiles veined with a faint blue.

a scowl threatened to breach her mask of indifference.

everyone who glimpsed that cloak knew. knew the price of blood and oath to obtain it, knew the status of the soul who donned it, knew the rolling sense of awe, dread and respect when the bearer drew within eyeshot. strewing it along kitchen floors as if a mere rug seemed a taboo. a disgrace.

“couldn’t you deny someone?” she should leave, yet her limbs remained immobile, touch frozen on the counters. “if you didn’t wish to speak with them.”

“sure. if you have a knack for declining over a dozen ambassadors and sector heirs a day for many seasons on end.” a fainter smile quirked as he smoothed a rumpled fold, touch idle. “strange, isn’t it? something meant to make me invisible does quite the opposite. it’s like… wearing a flashing sign to play politics.”

but to wield such power.

if he so deigned he could simply walk away, cursing all the whims of sector brats and their petty politics. no amount of snubbing a lesser sector would erase that. someone like him had allies━family and friends in high places.

at the cost of a little peace and quiet, he held the keys of access, power and authority. yet here he was, hiding in the kitchens for a little time to think? a bitter laugh surged from the depths of her soul, begging for release. he had everything. everything she’d slaved her whole life to build and rebuild, everything she’d spilled scarlet and spent sols over, everything that could be ripped away with a single misstep. or one word from the king.

the king.

and that was enough to quench her rising bitter laughter. she’d hidden too… to prepare for a meeting with the king. a king this one doubtlessly attended everyday.

“the gardens.” the words rose, unbidden, a murmur on her lips. “they’re always quiet.”

“are they?”

his whisper stilled her. the subtle shift in his expression was like witnessing the dance of flames in a magician's hand. some would call it wild. threatening. but it wasn’t that. this was like unravelling the mystery of someone’s true reflection by candlelight, a shared secret kindling in the sparks.

a pan clanged from the back of the kitchens.

the moment fractured into a kaleidoscope of colors, shapes and scents. he shifted to a stand, swinging the cloak around his shoulders. a clasp bearing the kingdom’s insignia gleamed, three serpents writhing between the stakes of a golden crown studded with heavy jewels. through the clasp, her reflection stared back at her, distorted and misshapen, but the picture of poise and indifference.

she offered a curt nod. “have a good evening, your honor.”

“and you as well.” as he drifted past her, the ghost of those crescent moon eyes met hers. “until we meet again.”
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱𝐯

Postby Vivika » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:06 pm

✦ ━ 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐒
    ‎ ‎ ⊰ starring. cathan, ollienotes. lil interaction of my boys (pt1) <3 ⊱‎
    this was absurd.

fully and completely and wholly absurd. already, the pangs of a headache was pealing through his skull and this whole ordeal was far from over. stars, it hadn’t even begun. his steps paused at the gentle twist of the cobblestone path leading to a chateau of heartwood and cedars.

aureate sunlight brushed the swirling whorls of the woodsy chateau, splashing upon the gathering blooms of jasmines and lavenders. somewhere in the winds, a faraway windchime joined with the chittering chatter of chipmunks and a nightingale’s morning song. sweet apricots and tea leaves perfumed the woods, lilting in tandem to the burble of a porcelain birdbath, the pristine shine of stone winking at him. a paradise that masqueraded as a hellscape.

a bumbling force careened into him, sending him staggering forward. his steps wavered and he twisted awkwardly in an attempt to avoid squashing a lone tulip. he hissed, a huff curling on his lips. “watch it, will you?”

“sorry.” his shield’s gaze wandered to his, a shrug lifting the curve of his shoulders and a skip━a literal skip━in his step. and with that idiot floundering around, the tulip met its fate. he winced as chartreuse juices sloshed onto the cobblestone with a soft squelch. “oopsies daisies. well, i guess oopsies tulipsies? wait, that’s a tulip- no, crocus?”

he heaved a long, suffering sigh.

ollie grinned, his signature idiot smile. “aw hells, you look like our boss just sentenced us to our graves with our souls permanantly bound in some bargain with the voids.” dark messy curls framed the set of his eyes, the little wrinkle of his nose a tell-tale sign of mischief. “it’s only for what? an hour tops. if you hadn’t been dragging your steps, we may even be done our little exercise already.”

“if we hadn’t scored so poorly in our earlier sim, we wouldn’t be doing this one.”

“pffft, what’s the difference? it’s a team-building exercise, just like the last one.” ollie chuffed, kicking aside the pale scarlet and white petals from the fallen tulip and poking at the spilled liquid. “oh! well, i guess this one is easier. not as intense as the last one…”

“are you done?” if his teeth wasn’t sawdust by the end of this, it’d be a minor miracle. with a jerk of his head, he indicated the panelled door with an ornate tesellation of stained glass windows, the soft shimmering colors already dancing by his feet. he pushed the door open. “get in.”
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢

Postby Vivika » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:38 am

a thin sigh sliced through his lips as he eyed the empty cushion opposite him.

jades and golds etched the neutral tones of the rough fabric, crafting succulents in full bloom gently snug in their tiny pots. a nod towards arrelés, whose true scope fell short of the feeble artistry of veresian artisans.

if he returned home today, the province would not be how he left it. arrelés was more than a simple farming or gardening district. it’d grown, flourishing despite the avarice of the crown. only whispers breathed a hint of its true progress: glass domes fitted with geometric slabs of solar panels, adobe architecture built into the sides of waterfalls to harness hydraulics, greenhouses mounted in spiral helixes. algal lamps of greens and golds for midnight promenades, draping florals and ivy framing stained glass chapels and stone pillars.

perhaps it was treason for a sim artisan to even imply the grandeur of arrelés over the capital city. perhaps he should just accept the attempt of the sim to comfort him with a sliver of home. or perhaps this was just an attempt to mess with his head.

“you seemed calmer for a second there.” with a wink, his shield finally found it within himself to grace him with his presence. “had less of a scowl on your face. an improvement for a little thundercloud like yourself.”

sprawling out on the cushion, ollie arranged the set of porcelain cups between them, reaching for a teapot of steaming herbal tea squeezed with a fresh twist of lemon. grasping a handle budding with moonflowers, he poured two cups of tea, the motion sloshing droplets onto a thin deck of cards.

“you realize this is a sim, right?” his cup of tea shimmered a soft, undulating gold, wisps of steam curling to warm his cheeks. “none of this is real. pouring me a cup of tea is a waste of time.”

his shield only snorted. “you ever realize it couldn’t hurt to just, y’know, play along?” he waved at the tea set between them. “amuse whatever-his-name-is who has sentenced us to our little tea party demise together?”

for once in his life, ollie had a point. perhaps it was statistically impossible for every word out of his shield’s mouth to be truly foolish. begrudgingly, he lifted his cup to his lips, suppressing an eye-roll. “satisfied?”

“hey, i’ll take it. ‘least it hides your scowl.” the rich cadence of ollie's laugh warmed the solarium as he picked a card up, flinging drops of tea off the floral-covered back. “alright, let’s see…”

the game was simple.

each card had a question and whoever flipped the card had to guess the answer. according to the scientist, the other party had to truthfully confirm the validity or lack thereof. it was meant to spark conversation and build a mutual understanding in the hopes that it’d be carried forward to their next training sim. although never stated, their last training sim scores were beyond subpar. if that were not humiliating enough, this was. a mandated team-building exercise to ‘achieve greater synchrony’.

“... should be easy. we’ll fly through this and also have time to get real drinks after.”

he sighed. “just. get it over with.”

“you’re the eldest.” his shield tossed the sodden card face-up between them, revealing the neatly printed script embossed in gold lettering. “your birth order. am i right?”

the tension in his shoulders unfurled. now this, he could handle. basic, nonsensical, shallow information. nothing prying, nothing personal. “close enough. i have an older brother and a younger sister.” he shrugged. “you’re the youngest? only child?”

a small knot knitted ollie’s brows. his lips parted almost as if to pose a question, but he shook his head, offering a generous smile instead. “just me at home.”

with a nod, he flipped the next card over: three things that make your partner happy. simple enough. if that scientist thought basic details could aid their plight, he’d take it. “parties. food. music.”

and annoying my dearest sword to death.” ollie poured himself another cup of tea, a chuckle in full bloom. “as for you, it’s probably… when i shut up, when i go to sleep and when i leave you alone. sound ‘bout right?”

a short burst of laughter erupted from his chest, the warmth a strange sensation from the usual prickle at the back of his neck. one side of his lips quirked. “i can’t deny that.”

“thought so.” at the flip of the final card, his shield’s expression softened, brows lifting a touch as he recited the words in a careful murmur. “name something your partner fears.”

any remaining warmth in his chest froze.

not even the thoughtful set of his shield’s gaze could resurrect that forgotten warmth, nor the innocuous tilt of his head that sent dark curls tumbling like a moonlit sea. ollie held the cards here and would not waste this opportunity to pry━to guess until he struck true.

he could lie, but the scientist was unlikely to accept honor-bound responses. if anything, the scientist was watching right now with those hooded eyes, using the newest tech to discern truth from lie.

“honestly? i don’t think i’ve ever seen you afraid of anything.” quietly, ollie set the card down, positioning it in-front of him. “sure, you’re hopelessly paranoid and as stubborn as corked gin, but also ruthlessly brave. i’ve never seen you run from a challenge,” a smaller grin curved, “hells, i hope you don’t start anytime soon.”

he blinked.

the jest was there━it always was━but this seemed different. nothing ollie had said for the past cards was a lie, but something about this one carried weight. from the enigmatic smile pulling at ollie’s lips, his shield knew exactly how he’d played his cards.

darkness flooded his periphery. a deep sea of quiet muted his senses as the depths warped around him like a cloak studded with portholes of other colors draining to a monochrome hue. the cup in his grasp faded and his surroundings dissolved in a flare of swirling pixels, until the only thing left was the sim’s four grey walls and ollie at the center.

“would you look at that!” his shield’s grin broadened and he rose, stretching out his limbs. “looks like i totally aced this game. let’s get drinks. real drinks. what do you say?”

he had questions. so many questions. a web of motivations to untangle, scandalous secrets beyond the veil of jest, a wall of evasions to scale. for today, he let it slide. let the dominos tumble and thrash, stuttering to a stop wherever they pleased. let the waters rise until the tides would one day come inevitably crashing down.

just for today, he let the moment pass, slipping undertow like the passing grey slate walls. “where to?”
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me