DNP Viscet #2457

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

DNP Viscet #2457

Postby Hail. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:43 pm

║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│
║│

│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║
│║

════════════════════════════════════════════════

Why do you wander on. . .

╒═════════════╕

▹Samuel

Male; 12 (viscet) 45 (human)

▹Theme Song:
♩♬Again - Caleb Hales (english cover)*♬♩
*contains a form of the "d" word repeated three times

╘═════════════╛

-
-

--
--
--------------------------------------------
Guide

----------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

________________________________________________________________________________________________
----------------
----------------

----
Songs

--
-

Map of KeiNairi
Thirty years ago, a stranger by the name of Libra arrived to the world of KeiNairi, touching down in the West and setting
up his dreadful home in a matter of days. Upon his arrival, he made it clear to all that he was no friend to the land by
attacking nearby cities and packs, slaughtering those who did not fall to a knee and submit to him.
After three weeks,
his army arrived and his castle was formed, placing his territory in the center of the Western lands.
The suddenness of his onslaught left the famous guardians baffled and blinded. They were focused on dispelling the final
monsters which were brought from the ground in the East after Akiko's infamous breakdown which tore the once happy,
lively land of the East into dust and rubble. As Libra grew, the guardians moved in to counter him and defeat his forces
before he could become too powerful. However, they failed - but not without leaving an impact on Libra's mind.
Since their first attack, the two forces have been at a "cold war". The guardians remain in the East, trying to sort out how to
handle their problems of monsters and Libra, and Libra grows in the West obtaining more land and lives, but steering clear
of the mountains which mark the border between the East and West as he devises a plan to deal with the guardians, his final
wall to ruling the world. The strike by the guardians has inspired few vigilantes to rise up and attempt to destroy Libra, or at
least weaken his forces, but these brave individuals are too rare to come by to create an army, and all who have stood up to
the monstrous male have met a grim fate.

At this moment in time, the cold war continues, and all within the land stand still, biting their tongues as they wait for the
building pressure within the two sides to burst and for war to rear its ugly head.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:25 am, edited 62 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter One

Postby Hail. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:37 am

Image Image------- ImageImage

spaceThe forest was quiet, for the most part. Soft winds whistled in the lush foliage of the trees, throwing dancing shadows on the undergrowth below. Spring had come to an end four weeks prior, and the heat of the summer season was taking its toll, draining the luminous color from the once gleaming leaves. Animals lied out, sprawled in the shade, panting, seeking refuge from the unrelenting heat. Most insects, save a few scavengers, lay hidden in their homes, unwilling to risk death by the boiling heat. The world seemed to release a heavy, hot breath, seeking the relief of cold in the wave of roasting light.

spaceA step shattered the peace, causing all animals to spring back to life and flee from its source to take shelter in dens and burrows, their dark eyes watching for what was to come. Shimmering, soft green scaled paws stepped through the undergrowth, stirring the dead leaves and grass. The large male viscet paused and moved his head steadily, surveying the peaceful area around him.

spaceAfter a moment, he released a heavy breath and took another step.

spaceBehind him, a viscling padded out, her soft feathered paws padding along in the undergrowth as she looked around with wonderous, and eager eyes. Finally, an adult female stepped after them. Her breathing was heavy, the dark feathers along her sides and belly pulling the heat of the air to her core and keeping her temperature high. Her tongue hung out and her eyes sagged ever so slightly and flicked to-and-fro, seeking for water.

space“Samuel, let’s stop.” The adult female spoke up, her voice strained and hoarse.

spaceAhead, the large male stopped and looked back. His eyes flickered up and down her, and his mouth creased into a frown. “Get into the shade, I’ll take Haylee and find some water.” The males voice was deep and gruff. It was like the tumble of rocks in a rock slide and the rumbling bellow of a grizzly.

spaceThe female frowned, but did not protest. She dragged her paws and collapsed in the shade, breathing heavily and relishing in the sudden relief of the cool soil and the absence of the burning sun.

spaceSamuel, the large male, watched her for a moment, then gestured to the viscling at his paws. “Let’s go. Search for water.”

spaceThe viscling nodded firmly and scampered off, Samuel following after her.

spaceThe two made their way through the woods, Samuel watching Haylee intently as the viscling moved back and forth, sniffing the air and ground attentively.

space“What are you searching for?” Samuel watched Haylee as the viscling looked back at him, seeming perplexed by his question.

space“Water.” Her voice was soft and sweet, like a bell chime.

space“Can you smell water?” Samuel took another step forward before stopping. He studied the viscling closely, waiting for her answer.

space“Well, no - but animals cluster by water on hot days so I am searching for a cluster of smells.” Haylee began to turn away, unsure of why Samuel was stopping her.

space“And have you found anything?”

spaceShe frowned. “No, not yet.”

spaceSamuel sighed. “You missed the scent of dragonflies.”

spaceHaylee’s ears ficked up and she looked back at him. She sniffed at the air intently, a deep frown on her muzzle. “Are you sure?”

space“I am sure. Go East.” Samuel’s voice was firm, frustration beginning to grow in his tone as he waited for the viscling to take action. Haylee turned and began to trot East, her nose high as she searched for the smell of dragonflies. Once she passed him, Samuel followed after her, his eyes on the distance.

space“Why is the smell of dragonflies important?”

space“They lay their eggs in the water. They would not live in a place without water.”

spaceHer ears flicked higher and her pace quickened as the smell finally reached her nose. Samuel followed her, not having to quicken his pace to keep up.

spaceAs they slipped through the trees, the water became visible.

spaceHaylee’s mouth pulled into a grin and she scampered ahead, diving into the water. Almost immediately, her body was cooled and relief flooded her senses. Her head popped from the water and she grinned at Samuel, who did not meet her eyes. The male was focused on scooping the water into a large, cupped leaf. Haylee climbed from the water and began to take a drink, her eyes on Samuel as she did so.

spaceSamuel lifted the leaf from the water, holding it firmly in his paws so it would not spill. “Come, let’s return to Asteria.” He turned away and walked back, taking the shortest path to Asteria with Haylee close on his heels.

space“You’re not going to drink?”

space“I’m fine.” His reply was short and gruff, his focus on the water in his paws.

space“I’m sure it would help you.”

space“I’m fine.” He repeated the phrase in the same fashion, unflinching. Haylee opened her mouth partially, then closed it, giving up on the argument.

spaceThey approached Asteria, slipping past the trees and bushes to reach her, and Samuel knelt, offering the female water. She drank quickly and carefully, cautious to not lose a single drop. As the leaf was emptied, her strength returned. She arose, Samuel alongside her, and the two exchanged a look. “Are you well enough to continue?”

spaceShe nodded firmly. “Let’s keep moving, we have a long way to go.” Samuel turned away and gazed at the tree tops, seeking the direction they were to go next. As he did, Asteria knelt to Haylee, a soft smile on her muzzle. “Are you doing okay? You’re soaked.”

spaceHaylee nodded and flashed a smile to her. “Yeah, I’m alright. I got to swim in the pond a little so I’m cooled off,”

spaceAsteria laughed and ruffled the girls mane with a paw. “Well, I certainly am jealous then,” Haylee laughed and crouched, ready to play, but both girls stopped when Samuel spoke.

space“Let’s go. We don’t have time to hang about.”

spaceThe males firm eyes rested solely on Haylee. The viscling shrunk under the tough gaze and crept forward in the direction his body was facing. She slipped through the bushes before breaking her gaze from him and relaxing her body. Asteria stood and approached Samuel, a frown on her muzzle. As the two met, they walked forward, following Haylee to the East.

space“You’re too tough on her,” Asteria spoke, her voice hushed but firm. “She looks up to you, you know.”

space“She shouldn’t.” Samuel’s eyes did not flicker from Haylee as he watched the viscling pad through the brush cautiously.

spaceAsteria snorted and bumped him with an elbow. For once, his focus broke and he stared at her with furrowed brows.

space“Quit being so hard on yourself. You’re a great viscet, Samuel. Anyone would be honored to grow up to be you.”

spaceSamuel’s eyes darkened and his lip curled slightly, revealing the tips of his canines. “Don’t joke of such things, Asteria, and back off. I am teaching her to become stronger and better. If she does not experience toughness, how will she survive if He comes after us again and we fall?”

spaceAsteria’s eyes hardened and she scowled at the male. “But if she never knows love then what is the purpose of taking her from that place?”

spaceHer words struck Samuel hard and the male turned his face away, watching Haylee once more. He did not speak for a moment, though his expression remained dark and hard. “You do what you like, I will continue as I am.”

spaceAsteria rolled her eyes and sighed. “Sam, your pride will be the death of us all, you know that?”

space“It will not.”

spaceAsteria leaned her body away, arching her neck towards him, and raised an eyebrow. “And why is that?”

space“Because I will protect you both.”

spaceOnce more, Asteria snorted, but this time laughter bubbled through from her throat. “Seriously? Sam, you just said that both of us might fall.”

spaceSamuel did not respond.

spaceAsteria shook her head slightly and relaxed her body, walking beside the large viscet in silence. Her eyes flickered to his side, spotting the golden rabbit which hovered in mid-leap over his abdomen, springing to his ribcage. Her frown deepened as she watched the marking move fluidly, its colors matching that of his other golden markings. Eventually, her eyes pulled away, but as they did she noticed Samuel’s gaze resting on her. “I was just checking it.”

spaceSamuel didn’t say anything. He hesitated for a moment, then turned his eyes away and watched Haylee as the viscling attempted to hop over a rock, misjudged the leap, and tumbled to the ground. She sprang back to her paws, looked back at them briefly, then scampered along again. He frowned as he stepped over the rock she had tumbled over, his mind drifting to the female beside him.

space“Has it gotten worse?”

spaceAsteria’s eyes flickered to him, then returned to the path before her. “I don’t think so.”

spaceSamuel grunted firmly and his eyes moved to the ground. The shadows of the forest were tilted now, leaning towards the West. “Night is coming. Haylee.”

spaceThe viscling whirled around and gazed up at Samuel with anxious eyes.

space“Scout for a place to sleep.”

spaceShe nodded, turned, and ran ahead.

spaceAsteria watched the viscling for a moment before speaking, ensuring the viscling could not hear. “Have you been able to access your magic?”

spaceSamuel’s expression did not change. “I can only harden my paws, nothing more.”

spaceShe frowned. “It’s strange, magic seals from Him usually don’t last more than four weeks.”

space“It wasn’t from Him.”

spaceAsteria’s head turned sharply to him and her eyes widened, but Haylee approached before she could speak.

space“I found a good spot!”

spaceSamuel nodded firmly and gestured his paws forward, inviting her to lead the way. They followed the little one to a small clearing with tall, crooked trees providing large patches of shade, and a small pool of water resting by the roots of a tree. Samuel investigated it, smacking trees with his tail and testing the ground. After a moment, he turned and nodded in approval to Haylee. “You chose a decent spot, let’s get settled. Haylee, we will go hunting once the fire is made.”

spaceHaylee nodded excitedly and rushed about, picking up twigs and sticks. Asteria hesitated, her eyes lingering on Samuel. She wanted to speak to him, but knew now was not the time.

spaceEventually, she drifted off to gather larger branches and log pieces.

spaceSamuel knelt near the center of the camp and began digging at the ground with his forepaws. He made a pit as large as his chest, then slowly leaned away from it and sat on his haunches. He glanced around, then extended his left paw and gazed at his pad. His paw flexed and his eyebrows moved together as he focused his energy. Three sparks burst from his paw before he dropped it and took several deep breaths to steady himself. He lifted his right paw and gazed at it, but dropped it before attempting again, knowing the outcome would be the same. His paw drifted to his side, resting on the left rabbit marking. His mind began to wander, but it was yanked back as Haylee dropped twigs into the fire place then sat beside him, keeping a respectful distance.

spaceSamuel’s eyes lingered on her for a moment and his lips twitched as the thought to praise her came, but he turned his eyes away and watched as Asteria placed branches into the pit. “Asteria, please light it.”

spaceAsteria looked at him, hesitant, but he did not meet her eyes. Slowly, she raised her paws to face the fire and muttered the spell under her breath. Purple magic flowed around her paws then shot to the logs and a fire burst forth.

spaceHaylee exclaimed in amazement, but Samuel’s expression did not change.

spaceAsteria quickly dropped her paws and shook off the magic, dispelling the purple light.

spaceThe three watched the fire dance for a moment, then Samuel stood and looked to Haylee. The viscling faced him and flicked her ear. “What are we hunting?”

space“Foxes.”

spaceHaylee nodded and turned away. She smelled the air, then made her way into the forest. Samuel followed after her, his eyes trained on the visclings posture. Behind them, Asteria watched with concern as they disappeared into the darkened forest.

spaceSamuel followed Haylee as the viscling moved side to side, examining the ground. She paused at some tracks and studied them intently.

space“Find them?”

spaceShe looked back at him for a moment and shook her head. “No, coyote. The paw width is too large and the gate is too far.”

spaceSamuel nodded in approval, though she did not see it. “Then continue.”

spaceHaylee padded along, searching for tracks while Samuel followed her. She could feel his eyes upon her, but tried to ignore it and stay focused. She lowered her head, sniffing at the dirt.

space“Keep your head up and smell the air. The dirt tells only a sentence of the story of the environment.”

space“Yes, sir.” Haylee lifted her head and smelled the air.

spaceSamuel frowned at the use of sir, but shrugged it off, not seeing a cause to start an argument about it. He continued after the viscling, his eyes trained on her. He frowned often. Her posture was wrong at times, and she visibly struggled with remembering to smell the air rather than the ground. Still, he had to admit that she was doing well at tracking. He had picked up several scents of other canine species as well as tracks that could resemble a foxes, but she never faltered or followed any of them - she remained latched onto that faint scent which wafted through the air.

space“Ah!” She gasped in excitement and dove into the shrubbery. Samuel sprang into the trees, his tail resting on several branches as he watched below intently. A fox padded along nervously, its nose twitching.

spaceSamuel’s paws flexed and he leaned forward, driving his claws into the bark. Wait for it to get closer, then spring. His mind called advice to the viscling, though he knew she could not hear. He watched as the fox drew closer to the bush Haylee had hidden in. Then, too early, the viscling sprung from her hiding place. Her paw grazed the foxes leg and the beast turned away and fled frantically. Haylee began to pursue, but Samuel’s thundering voice stopped her.

space“Don’t.”

spaceHe dropped from his tree, landing heavily on the ground. He approached her, a stern look tainting his eyes. He reached down and forcefully adjusted her posture into a crouch before backing away. “That is how you prepare to pounce. And don’t go so early. You wait for my signal, understand?”

spaceHaylee nodded, then moved ahead as Samuel jerked his nose after the fox. Samuel waited for a moment, then followed after her. He watched as the viscling stalked after the fox, keeping her nose high and lowering it only to check paw prints. After a moment, she alerted to the fox and slipped into the shrubbery. Once more, Samuel climbed the tree and watched her work from above. She used the bushes to cover her as she crept towards the creature. The fox remained unaware as it sniffed at a berry bush, seeking berries. Samuel watched, sizing the distance between Haylee and the fox. The viscling glanced back at him constantly before each step, anxiously waiting for his signal.

spaceFinally, Samuel chirped loudly. The foxes head jerked in his direction as Haylee pounced on it. She pinned the creature down, clinging to a hind leg. It fell, jerking and yelping.

spaceSamuel jumped down and approached the two. He looked at Haylee, who starred up at him with wide eyes. “What are you doing?”

spaceHaylee’s eyes flicked to the fox, then back to him. Samuel frowned.

spaceHe reached forward and took hold of the foxes head with his forepaws. With a swift movement, the animals life was snuffed out.

spaceSamuel hoisted the animal up, taking it from the viscling, and began to make his way back, Haylee close behind.

space“I’m sorry. . .” Her voice was small and nervous.

space“For what?”

space“I couldn’t do it. . . I couldn’t kill it. . .”

space“The laws of life. If this fox did not die, we would.”

space“I know, I know. . . but who is truly the one to say who lives or dies?”

space“The fox was neither swift nor strong enough to get away. It let its guard fall.”

space“Oh.” She fell silent as she thought on his words and remained silent as they entered their camp.

spaceSamuel dropped the fox and knelt before it. He used his claws to work the carcass, making incisions to remove the skin. As he did, Haylee approached Asteria and sat beside her.

space“So, how did it go?” Asteria smiled at the viscling. Her expression faded as she noticed the visclings own.

space“I couldn’t kill it, and I missed the first pounce.”

spaceAsteria sighed softly and rested a paw on the visclings shoulder. “It’s okay, it isn’t something that comes easily. You’ll understand in time, but for now just do what you can, okay?”

spaceSamuel hovered his tail over the fire and draped the foxes body over it. He sat silently across from the others, watching the fox as it cooked. Silence was among them for several moments. As Samuel turned the fox, Asteria finally spoke up.

space“So, do you think we are far enough from Him?”

space“Asteria.” Samuel shot a sharp glare to her. The female puffed her feathers and narrowed her eyes.

space“Samuel, we need to talk about this, and she should be able to hear of it.”

space“Are you guys talking about Libra?” Haylee spoke softly and lifted her eyes.

space“If you are so intent on talking about Him at this time, then so be it. No. We are not far enough away, but we will have to make do for now. I will stand guard. If his soldiers come, I will awaken you both and you will flee and allow me to handle it.”

spaceAsteria frowned. “Samuel, I can fight. You will do better with another at your side.”

space“It will be a distraction to have to protect two from harm in combat. You will flee with the child.”

spaceAsteria’s frown deepened. Haylee looked up at the female, then at Samuel, then to the dirt. Asteria gave up the argument as Samuel pulled the fox from his tail and laid it out.

space“Eat, then rest.”

space“What about you?” Haylee spoke softly, avoiding eye contact.

space“I am fine.”

spaceAsteria gave the viscling a reassuring pat on the shoulder, then helped her to get a portion of the meat.

spaceAfter eating, Haylee curled up to sleep, Asteria laying close by. The older female watched the visclings breathing intently. As it leveled out and slowed, she raised her head and looked at Samuel. “Sam,”

spaceSamuel’s eyes remained locked on the woods to the East. “What is it.”

space“Are you sure about this? Can we really protect her?”

space“A life running is better than a life as a slave.”

spaceAsteria’s frown deepened. “But is starvation or death truly worth it?”

spaceSamuel turned his gaze to meet hers. “You do not have the experience to answer that question. Soma was a savior to you, not a captor.”

spaceAsteria’s eyes narrowed at him and Samuel looked away. “What is wrong with you? Since when were you so cold?”

spaceSamuel didn’t answer, his gaze locked onto the distance. After a moment, Asteria snorted and laid her head back down and closed her eyes, trying to will herself to sleep.

spaceAfter some time, Samuel’s eyes drifted to his companion and he watched her sleep for a moment. In her, he saw who they were once more - the friends learning and growing beside each other, expanding beyond what they once were. He turned away as doubt stung his mind and he quickly shook the thoughts away. Taking Haylee and fleeing was the right choice. Once they were far enough away, the benefits would shine brightly through. He had faith in that, and that would have to be enough for now.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:26 am, edited 12 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Two

Postby Hail. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:33 am

Image Image-------Image Image

spaceA sharp crack jerked Samuel from his slumber. He quickly rose to his paws, his eyes wide and his body tense. He had not realized he had fallen asleep and now, the presence of a stranger was strong in the air. “Wake up.” His sharp voice jerked Asteria from her sleep. She stared up at him, then grabbed Haylee. “Go, quickly, to the East.”

spaceAsteria hesitated, then nodded and fled with the viscling, who was slowly awakening, dazed and confused.

spaceSamuel’s ears pressed forward and he listened in the woods for the intruder. He locked onto movement as a viscet stepped through the tree line. It’s eyes flickered about the camp, then rested sternly on Samuel.

space“Samuel.” Samuel frowned. Akela, the apprentice of Soma, stared at him with confused eyes. “What are you doing?”

space“I do not need to explain anything to you.” Samuel stood tall, his body tensed and ready for a fight. He had never taken the time to get to know Akela. The female was almost always by Soma’s side, learning new spells and techniques or helping to train new warriors. Still, though he did not know her well, he knew of her strength.

space“Why betray them?” Akela ignored his past words and tilted her head, taking a step forward and to the right, bracing herself. Samuel’s muscles tensed. “Libra and Soma trusted you. They gave you watch over the visclings, they gave you power to determine fates, and they entrusted you to train, observe, and even command. Any of us would have killed for that kind of trust, so why throw it away?”

space“Your forgetful mind does not change my past sentence, Akela.”

spaceAkela’s frown deepened. “Then answer me this. What do you think the outcome of this will be? Did you really think Libra and Soma would leave you three be? After all you have learned, and after your betrayal? What did you hope to gain from this?”

spaceSamuel’s expression remained unaltered, but within his mind a pinprick of attention struck, shrieking out what had been nagging him since the morning before. This shrieking, however, died as Akela lowered her head and spread her forepaws. Red magic crackled between her paw pads like lightning, hissing and spitting as the energy waves ran rapidly along the crooked beam of light.

space“I guess I should have just expected you to be quiet.” She moved swiftly and a bolt of red light launched toward Samuel. The male sprung back, light on his powerful feet, and landed in a crouched position, ready to spring forward. “You never were the talking type.”

spaceAkela’s paws moved fluidly and rapidly, pulling and braiding the light into new shapes before flinging them at Samuel. Exploding arrows, beams that sizzled the plants they hit, and an occasional long, whip-like beam which swept the floor, then went back and swept at Samuel’s chest level rapidly. Akela put her all into several rapid attacks, trying to down Samuel as quickly as possible. Samuel however, despite his lumbering size, managed to dodge each - though many were narrow misses. The only marks of the females attacks were a few singed feathers and a slightly increased rate of respiration. The two stood for a moment, facing off and assessing each other. Samuel knew getting close to Akela would not be an option due to her magic. He could use his tail, but he risked not having the balance needed to dodge an attack if he should try. He watched Akela as she moved her paws, strengthening her magic and forging it into a new weapon - one he hadn’t seen her use before. His body stiffened as she pulled her paws to her chest, then moved them forward, launching the weapon towards him. Samuel did not think. His forepaws raised instinctively, and the scales which coated them morphed. They grew longer and harder, shielding the skin beneath like a thick suit of armor. The magic struck his scales, and shattered into a million particles of light which drifted slowly to the ground. Through a gap between his forepaws, Samuel watched Akela as her eyes widened in shock.

space“You can. . .”

space“Soma’s seal is not as powerful as she boasts it to be.” Samuel swept his paws down swiftly, sending the remaining particles spinning into the air to drift to the debris below. Akela’s expression darkened, but her eyes were stained with fear.

space“You will still lose. You don’t have the ability to defend against me forever, and you can’t atta-”

spaceSamuel seized the opportunity. He rushed forward, focused on striking her chest or neck. Akela, being trained well, quickly raised her paws and summoned magic to act as several sharp spear heads, all angled towards him - a desperate and clumsy method of defence. Swiftly, Samuel slammed his left hind paw into the ground. The momentum carried by his sprint rushed down his spine and into his tail, swinging his body around and driving his tail directly against the side of the females head. Her guard dropped and she staggered several steps. The magic at her paws vanished and she struggled to regain balance and break the stun which latched onto her mind. Samuel ran forward, head on, then leapt before her. With one swift movement, he kicked his hind legs out and made contact with her chest. The small female was thrown back with ease, stopping only when her back collided with a nearby tree. She toppled to the ground and gasped, her body trembling and her eyes wide.

space“You are a good fighter, but you talk too much. And, you’re predictable.” Samuel stood his ground, watching her and making no further advancement. Despite his instincts screaming at him to end it now and destroy her, he did not want to harm her. He had not known her well, but she was likely in the same position he was: blinded and tricked by the sorceress and her lies. Samuel broke away from that screaming feeling and began to turn away from her, leaving to track down Asteria and Haylee. “If you know what is best, leave. If you come after me again, you will not be spared.”

spaceTo his relief, Akela took the hint. As he walked away, he heard the familiar chime of teleportation magic. A glance over his shoulder confirmed that she had fled, returning to Soma. Though he knew the fight was over, he could not escape this clawing feeling in his gut as though he had made the wrong choice. He did his best to ignore it and press onward, though he braced himself mentally for a fight in the near future.

spaceSamuel scouted the terrain, smelling air and grass as he tracked his companions down. Their scents were fresh and calm, confirming that neither had been attacked, yet their trails were long and winding. They had gotten lost in these woods, but likely kept pressing forward after hearing the sounds of Akela’s magic.

spaceThe trail winded crookedly through the woods, but it was not the lost wandering that caused Samuel’s heart to constrict in his chest. It was what rested at the end.

spaceA pit, exposed through broken boards and torn cloth.

spaceHe leaned forward and peered within, but frowned at the darkness which blocked his vision. The pit was far and deep, soaked in inky darkness which seemed to slither and hiss like serpents. There was no guarantee they had survived the fall, nor was there any guarantee that he would either.

spaceSamuel lifted his head, then stepped down. His body fell until his feet met slanted ground. He slid, using his tail to maintain balance, until the floor leveled. Momentum caused him to take four steps, and his body struck another's.

spaceAsteria gasped sharply and turned, magic forming in her paws and illuminating his face. Samuel’s expression did not change as he gazed down at her. “Ah, it’s you. We seem to have gotten stuck here, but June thinks she found a mechanism to turn on the lights.”

space“June?”

spaceAsteria moved her paws, pulling the magic along with them, and sent a faint beam of light forward, illuminating Haylee as she studied a large gear which was implanted to into the wall.

space“Her middle name, she told me she prefers it.”

spaceSamuel stepped forward and approached the viscling. He knelt beside her and studied the gear. The light was dim and the fine details of the mechanism were gone, but it was the smell. . . that wretched smell which danced on the fine strings of memory. He had been here before, he knew it, yet he could not identify the memory. His paws clung to the teeth of the gear and he dragged downward. The gear moved three clicks, but stopped. “Haylee, the gears are jammed somewhere. Asteria, guide her with the light along the trail and find what constricts them. I’ll hold it here.”

spaceAsteria’s light moved from him and Samuel watched it travel along the gears, hearing Haylee’s paws tap on the ground as she followed after it. The light came to rest on a large, muzzle-sized tooth which was jammed between two gears. Haylee approached it and placed her forepaws on it, then began to pull. She strained visibly and vocally as she tugged at the jammed tooth. As Samuel watched, the memories steadily began to stepforward, like snarling beasts from shadows. His stomach clenched and turned as realization rested on his soul. Haylee ripped the tooth free, and the gears jerked to life. Samuel pulled his paws back and listened as stone and metal groaned. After a moment, light struck the eyes of the trio and the room was illuminated. Asteria stopped her magic and gave a small laugh of relief and Haylee gave a shout of triumph. Samuel stood still, his expression stoic but his mind pacing. He needed to get out of here.

space“Well, it looks too tall to climb out of.” Haylee peered up the hole they had entered, a frown on her face.

space“We will just have to find another way out. From the looks of this room, it seems like this may be some sort of underground building. I’m sure there would be a better way out.” Asteria moved to a large door which was marked with purple, pulsing runes. She placed her paws against it and drove her claws into the crevice, then pulled. However, despite her straining the door did not budge.

space“Maybe those runes are important? What do they mean?” Haylee padded over, her eyes on the runes above.

space“I’m not su-”

space“Sinthrid.” At the sound of the word, the stone doors cracked and groaned as they peeled apart, sliding into walls to its side. As it moved, Samuel’s eyes slid from the gears to the door. He watched the runes fade and the stone vanish, then straightened his back.

space“Woah. . . How did you know that?” Haylee stared back at Samuel, her eyes sparkling. Asteria, however, gazed at the stone with furrowed brows. Her eyes drifted to Samuel as the male released a sigh and walked past them, his steps heavy.

space“Let’s search for the exit and get back to the forest.”

spaceHaylee jogged ahead with an eager puff of air. Samuel moved after her, and Asteria drifted along behind them. Samuel’s steps remained heavy, lumbering with the weight of his body and shaking the feathers on his legs. His tail hovered over the ground behind him, but only by an inch or two. His ears were lax, as were his eyes, but within his pupils a wary light shimmered. Though his posture was calm, his thoughts drove in circles for an exit and his chest felt tight - like claws were driving into him.

spaceThe three made their way into the next room. Haylee promptly began to investigate the area, Asteria stood by the entrance, her eyes lingering on Samuel as he made his way directly to a wall and placed his paw against a stone. He pressed down on it and the walls around them creaked and groaned. A portion of each wall slid down, revealing four paths. Haylee’s paws slowly lowered from the faded rune she had been examining. “Oh, okay. That works.” She turned and looked at Samuel. “Which one?”

space“Yeah.” Asteria’s eyes drifted to the paths, then back to Samuel. They had a firmness to them now. “Which one, Sam?”

spaceSamuel did not met her gaze. “The Western path, Haylee.” He made his way to the hole and stepped through, Haylee trotting along beside him and Asteria lingering in the back. They made their way down the hallway, their steps echoing across the stone walls.

spaceHaylee’s expression morphed from one of fascination and excitement, to one of thought. Her eyes drifted to Samuel, who stared straight ahead with unwavering eyes. “Hey, Samuel?”

space“Mm.” He grunted in response, his mouth just slightly twitching.

space“I’ve noticed you call me Haylee. . . I don’t mind it, it is my name, but. . . Would it be okay if you call me June?” Samuel’s eyes drifted to her as they walked and the visclings mane bristled. “You don’t have to if you don’t want to, but. . . I just like my middle name a little more.”

spaceSamuel watched her, then slowly turned his eyes forward and released a gentle breath. “If that is what you prefer, then so be it.”

spaceJune’s eyes lit up and she grinned up at him. “Thank you, Sam!” Samuel grunted and glanced down at her. “Er- um, Samuel.”

spaceSamuel turned his eyes forward as the hall came to an end. He began to extend his paw, but June stopped him. “Wait, let me try. Please?”

spaceSamuel watched her for a moment, then nodded and stepped back. He watched as the viscling studied the stone wall before them. June pressed her forepaws against it, rubbed the stone to dust it, and examined it as thoroughly as she could. As he watched, Samuel knew she would not find how to open it, as the door was made to only allow adults to pass. Still, her determination touched him. “June.” The viscling looked at him with large eyes, concerned he might tell her to give up. Samuel reached down and picked her up, then held her out at chest level. “Try this angle.”

spaceJune paused, then began to feel the wall and examine it. As predicted, her paw pressed the trigger button and the door slid to the side. Samuel placed her on the ground and nodded. “Good work.” June grinned up at him and Samuel stepped forward, entering the next room.

spaceThe trio traveled together, making their way through room after room, solving puzzle after puzzle. The tension in Asteria steadily faded and she acted as herself once more, she became more open and talked freely. Things were looking up for the group, though Samuel’s insides remained tense and constricted. Above them, on the surface, the sun had dipped beneath the mountains, surrendering its golden reign to that of the silver moon. Though they could not see the sky, the effects of night began to take their toll.

spaceSamuel led the group, his mind focused on escaping the depths of this wretched place. However, behind him paws dragged on the stone floor and a muffled yawn escaped June’s mouth. Asteria looked down at the viscling and smiled softly. “Here, let me carry you.” She scooped up the viscling, who protested for only a moment before nestling up against Asteria’s soft feathers. The female watched her as she began to doze off, then looked up at Samuel with a frown. “Sam, we ought to rest.”

space“No.”

spaceShe frowned as the male did not so much as glance back at her. “Sam, we are exhausted. We need to rest for the night. The exit is not going anywhere, we will find it better when light pours through it anyway.”

space“The exit may be going nowhere, but neither is this place. We press on.” Samuel spoke gruffly, feeling frustrated with Asteria’s persistence. He bit his tongue trying to restrain his anger towards her. She did not know how this place trembled his soul and clawed at his gut.

spaceAsteria stopped, planting her paws firmly on the ground. “Sam.” The male paused and released a heavy breath before turning to face her. “We rest for the night. You can stay awake if that comforts you, but June and I need to sleep. We are not so untouchable by the world cycle as you seem to be.”

spaceSamuel gazed at her firmly for several minutes, then sighed. “Fine.”

spaceAsteria nodded and slowly laid down, positioning June at her side. Once situated, her gaze turned to Samuel. The male hesitated, examining the room, then laid down near the next door, his muscles tense. She sighed softly as she watched him, sensing that his desire to press on was more than simple impatience. “Sam. What’s eating at you?” Samuel didn’t speak or move his head and Asteria sighed. “You know I’ll just stay up and pester you.”

space“If you can stay awake to talk then why not stay awake to travel? I can carry June.”

space“Talking is far easier than walking, Sam.” The male grunted and Asteria smirked, knowing she had him stumped. “So, what’ll it be? Pestering, or answers?”

spaceSamuel hesitated, then shifted his body, turning his head to face her with a glower in his eyes. “Have I ever told you how frustrating you are?”

spaceAsteria smirked, knowing the remark was light hearted. “So, what’s eating at you? Why seek to press on so determinedly?”

spaceSamuel’s eyes trailed the walls, following the dark runes. “I do not like the aura of this environment. I want to leave it promptly. If we are attacked here, we will not be able to fight or flee efficiently, either.”

spaceAsteria laughed and Samuel frowned. “Since when were you intimidated by a fight? Please, Samuel, your pride would never let you tremble over something like that.” Slowly, her grin faded into a frown, one of sadness and worry. “Sam. . . why are you lying to me? You know this place, don’t you? What is it to you? What happened here?”

spaceSamuel met her eyes firmly. “Nothing of significance. Now, get some sleep. I’ll keep watch and wake you when the hours of night are past.”

spaceAsteria opened her mouth to protest, but Samuel had turned his body away again and was examining the door once more. She closed her mouth and rested her head on the ground, not wanting to bicker any longer.

spaceSamuel’s eyes betrayed him. They were filled with worry and fear. He wanted to leave here, he needed to. He could feel the ghost of the past gazing upon him, its claws clinging to his spine and its voice ringing in his ears. His eyes scanned the walls intently. He knew what room this was. Runes rested on the walls, drawn in with black ink and carved in with dark sand. An old, tattered blood red cloth hung on a rusted iron poll, low to the ground. The room was wide, giving enough space for Samuel to lay his body flat with only the tip of his tail having to curl. In the center, where Asteria and June slept, old straw was laid out on the floor, giving what would have been a nice padding in the past. Yes, he knew this room, and the memory of it reached for him, calling his betrayal and hissing his name. His body began to quake with the pressure of it all. He could not rid himself of those voices, softly calling his name.

spaceThen, peace came. He could hear the soft rumble of June as she snored in her sleep. Strangely, the sound soothed him in the darkness, as though to confirm to him that the past was locked away in those walls, unable to touch him. As the night fell deep, it was June’s light snoring that he clung to, that gave him peace and perseverance.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am, edited 13 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Three

Postby Hail. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 pm

spaceSamuel opened his eyes slowly, a millimeter at a time. The light of the room stung, and his mind throbbed with the yearning to close them again. Then, a shadow rested over him and he found relief from the burning of the light.

spaceHis eyes opened fully and he smiled sleepily at the viscet before him, then yawned, the movement causing his head to shake a little. Slowly, he lifted his hind legs and stretched his back, then leaned forward on his forepaws, the vertebrae between his shoulder blades popping as relief trickled through his nerves. Once his stretch was complete, he rested his haunches on the ground and grinned up at the viscet, still blinking away the sleepiness.

space“Did you rest well, Sam?” The male's voice was calm and soothing, hinted with a faint touch of what could only be described as fatherly care.

space“Uh-huh!”

space“Any dreams tonight?”

spaceSamuel paused and thought back on the hazy quickness of his slumber moments ago. “I think there was one. I was with Ma and Pa in the woods and we were walking an endless path. Things around us moved by, but our goal was eternally far away. Then, Ma and Pa turned blue and faded away. They were sucked into a vortex behind us that had been pulling everything back, and it turned out that I had never actually been moving the whole time.”

spaceSilence fell upon the two. Samuel looked up at the male and watched him for a moment, waiting for a response. Finally, the male opened his mouth. “Well, I am not sure of the interpretation of that one.”

space“Could you ask Soma about it? She’s really good with mysterious things like that.”

spaceThe male nodded. “Of course, my boy. Now, come along, let’s get you warmed up.”

spaceSamuel’s eyes sparkled and he sprung to his feet and followed the adult as he opened the door by speaking the rune which sealed it. “When will you teach me those runes?”

space“When you have mastered the magic you currently have.”

spaceSamuel frowned. “But that’s so much! Can’t I just learn a few runes?”

spaceThe male shrugged and chuckled lightly, stopping before the next door. “Well, if you want to try it then go on ahead.”

spaceSamuel stared at the rune and focused, trying to recall what each dot and line meant. He stood puzzled for some time, then sighed and looked at the male. “I can’t read it.”

space“Sinthrid.” At his voice, the door cracked to life and slid into the walls, allowing them to press onward. “You will learn it when you are ready.”

spaceSamuel followed the male as they made their way through the door. “What does that word mean? Sinthrid?” When he said it, the door slammed shut, nearly catching his tail. Samuel starred back at it with an expression of shock that quickly rushed into one of excitement. “I di-”

space“Break. That word is used for the door because the stone must break for it to open.”

space“Ooohh. . .” Samuel’s eyes lingered on the door, then turned to the male. He gasped and scrambled to him after realizing how far away he was. “So, what is the activity for today?”

space“Combat training, without magic this time.”

space“Oh.”

spaceThe male sensed the disappointment in the boys voice and turned his head to look back at him. “If one does not know how to fight with and without magic, then they ought not to have it. There are others out there who know spells of binding and curses of sealing. If you are not prepared in all combat methods, you will quickly fall.”

space“I know, I know. . . But it is so boring.”

space“Is it?”

space“Yeah!” The two continued on their path, the male opening doors as they came across them while Samuel spoke. “With magic, you can do so many cool things! I can bring forth a tornado of fire or a hail of frost and icicles! I can cause the earth to crack and shift beneath my paws and the skies themselves bow at the call of my voice!” The eagerness faded from him and was replaced with one of apathy. “But combat without magic. . . it’s just filled with over-dramatic grunts and sweat. Nothing is exciting about it.”

space“Hm, that may be so.” The male walked, not looking back at the lad. “But, combat without magic can be quite exciting. If, you find the right opponent. Liriqip.”

spaceThe door before them turned and opened in a spiraling fashion. Samuel tilted his head at the male. “What does that rune mean?”

space“Reflect.”

space“Why reflect?”

spaceThe boys question was answered by a shooting arrow which flew just over his head and lodged in the closed door far behind him, buried to the feathers. Samuel stared back at in with a mix of shock and horror, and turned his head quickly to the male. “It is called reflect because you are supposed to reflect that arrow back for the shield on the other end of the door to open. Now, retrieve that arrow.”

spaceSamuel ran to the door and grasped the arrow with his forepaws. He strained with it in vain. After a moment, he raised his hind paws and pressed them against the door, applying more pressure and using his body to tug at the arrow. Finally, it slipped free and he fell on the ground then scrambled up. He grabbed the arrow in his jaws and scampered to the male, then held it out to him. The male took it and held it with the point facing away. He held a paw behind it and black, sand-like mist swirled around his paw with a shifting sound. He flexed the muscles in his paw and the sand rushed forward, striking the arrow and sending it forward. The arrow rushed though where the door once was, a shattering sound following it as it did, and slammed into the far wall, burying itself completely.

space“Woah. . . See! Magic is so much cooler!”

spaceThe male frowned at him, suddenly wishing he had not used his magic to finish opening the door. “Come, let’s go in.”

spaceSamuel rushed ahead of him and stopped before the dummy, crouching and sizing it up. “So, this is my opponent? Hah! Not much of a match, that’s for sure!” Samuel whipped his tail at the dummy, striking it across the middle limb. Instantly, the limb spun around, the momentum causing an appendage to stretch out and strike him across the head with force equal to that which he had delivered. Samuel yelped in surprise and stumbled back, falling onto his hindquarters and staring at the dummy in shock. He looked at the male who gazed at him stoically.

space“Your opponents will not standby and take the damage you throw them, they will strike back. Always.”

spaceSamuel grunted and stood up, glaring at the dummy with determination. He crouched and prepared to attack, but the male interrupted him.

space“Body lower, back arched, and tail off the ground. You are a loaded spring ready to unleash, leave nothing relaxed.”

spaceSamuel adjusted his position to better suit the males request, his gaze still locked on the dummy. When he was ready, he moved his tail rapidly, striking the middle of the dummy as hard as he could. Quickly, the limb spun and the appendage shot out, ready to strike. Samuel dropped to the ground and felt the wind rustle his mane as the appendage rushed over his head. He looked back, keeping his head low, and grinned at the male. It was not long after that the third, lowest limb spun around without warning, sending out an appendage which struck him across the rear end. Samuel sprang forward with a squeak, the base of his tail curling between his legs. He scampered away from the dummy and turned to stare at it, then at the male.

space“A foe will not move only one limb to strike you back. Keep training, I will return in the evening. I expect to see you capable of fighting it for five minutes without taking a hit.”

spaceSamuel frowned as the male left him and the door shut behind him. He gazed at the crevice in the door, hoping it would open and the male would say it was a joke, but it did not. After a minute, Samuel gave up and turned his gaze to the dummy. It sat peacefully, three broad cylinders resting upon each other to mimic a head, torso, and legs of a foe, the appendages of each tucked away and hidden from view, waiting to spring out when momentum was given. Samuel thought of attacking for a moment, but his mind wandered and he began to look around the room. It was a large place, so large that he could lay across the floor nearly three times before his tail tip would have to curl at the edge of the wall. Beneath the dummy, straw was laid out. It was soft beneath his paws and gave him a cushioning, as though his trainers knew he would fall several times. On the wall, a shiny iron bar hung just at his reach, a clean and soft red towel hung over it with a silver bucket of clean water beside it, a source to drink and refresh himself. Aside from those few objects, the room was barren, making it feel much larger than it was.

spaceThe boy looked to the dummy, disturbed by the unused space which lingered around him. He crouched and focused on placing a shot to the top limb which marked the head. His tail struck it and it spun. A moment later, the second limb exploded into action and spun, the appendage attached to it rushing to him with the fastest speed he had seen. He ducked, his eyes wide as he watched it rush over his head. He quickly jumped up to avoid the anticipated lower appendage, then felt the appendage attached to the second limb strike his side and send him toppling to the ground three feet away. He rolled for a moment and laid on the ground, dazed. Slowly, his expression hardened and he rose from the ground. “Attacking the head will make an opponent try to attack you harder in self defence. The head is the most vulnerable site.” He muttered to himself as he turned his gaze back to the dummy which had now come to a resting state. He crouched and crept towards it, determining his first attack and his next actions. As he moved his tail back to strike, a strange sound rippled through the walls.

spaceSamuel relaxed and lifted his head, looking around at the walls that surrounded him. The sound had stopped, but he knew it was there earlier. “Hello? Who was that?”

spaceNo response came for several moments. Slowly, Samuel crouched again to attack, but as he raised his tail it echoed through the room again, louder this time. Samuel could now make out the faint sounds of screaming. “Hello? Who’s there?! What’s wrong?!” He looked around as the sound echoed from the walls again, fear filling his eyes with tears. “If this is a joke or a test, its not funny! Stop it! Who’s there?!”

space“Liriqip!” The voice shouted a clear word, it's tone filled with desperation. The door Samuel had entered crackled to life and slid open. Behind and above him, the arrow shot and was promptly reflected back into the room and into the wall. Samuel started as a large, dark female rushed into the room, her eyes full of terror.

space“Mom?” He spoke quietly, unsure and nervous. As his mothers eyes rested upon him, sharp words sprang out and black, sand-like magic rushed forward and shot through her chest from behind. Samuel’s eyes widened and his breath quivered as he suddenly felt warm liquid on his feathers. Before him, his mother crumpled to the ground, her eyes still resting upon him. Samuel stared at her, unsure of how to process this event. He wanted to scream, he wanted to laugh, he wanted to cry, but most of all, he wanted to wake up. This had to be a dream, none of it could possibly be true. He reasoned with himself that the dummy had hit his head too hard and he had fallen unconscious or was now hallucinating, but no matter how much he willed it the fallen figure before him would not fade or leave.

spaceA shadow cast into the room and the male stepped in. Samuel turned his eyes to him, desperate for an answer, pleading for help. The male’s eyes rested on the female’s chest, searching for movement, then drifted to Samuel. He approached the viscling and knelt before him, resting a paw beneath his chest as he looked at the blood-splattered viscling. “Samuel. . . Tell me, what do you think the world is?”
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Four

Postby Hail. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:16 am

spaceSamuel sat in silence, gazing at the door before him and going over the paths beyond it in his mind. The door would not need to use any reflection to fully open when leaving it. Beyond, the corridor would split into two paths, the left leading to the main hall. In that room, three doors would be open to them. The door marked with the red runes would be the correct path. From there, they would just have to keep following the red runes before finding the exit, blocked only by a dead tree. It was simple and clean, and they were almost there. All that needed to happen now was for them to wake up.

spaceHis eyes drifted to the two females and he watched them for a moment. They slept lightly, June no longer snoring, confirming that they were close to awakening. He had stayed up all night, and though he did not feel tired, his eyes burned ever so slightly. He sighed and stood, stretching out his joints and rolling his shoulders. His eyes drifted about the room slowly. Things about it had changed. For instance, the bucket and the dummy were no longer within the room. Samuel’s eyes moved to where the dummy once was. He recalled his struggle with it and released a soft sigh. Now he would be able to destroy it with little effort, despite the challenge it posed to him in the past. As was the way of life.

spaceMovement pulled his eyes to the females and he watched as Asteria took in a deep, heavy breath and released it slowly. She shifted, turning her paws beneath her and adjusting her head as her body slowly pulled itself into reality. He watched her for a moment, then spoke up. “Asteria, it’s time to wake up. You too, June.”

spaceAsteria sighed heavily again and slowly lifted her head, her eyes cracking open and resting upon him. She frowned sleepily and reached a paw out to him. Samuel knelt down, coming to a rest in front of her. Her paw moved forward and rested on his cheek. “You didn’t sleep.”

space“No.”

spaceAsteria paused, then slowly dropped her paw. “I’m guessing it’s time to-”

spaceHer words were stopped by a sharp grunt as June jolted to life, kicking the older female directly in the stomach as her limbs flailed until they came to a rest beneath her. Her head shot up and she stared straight ahead, breathing heavily. Samuel lowered himself fully to all fours and met her eyes. “June, calm yourself. You are awake now, and you are safe.”

spaceJune’s eyes shot to him and she stared at him for several seconds as though she did not recognize him. Then, slowly, the haze over her eyes faded and her body relaxed. Asteria sat up, shuffling away from the viscling to avoid another kick. “For such a small creature, you hit pretty hard.”

spaceJune turned her head to Asteria and tilted it, confused. Samuel pushed himself from the ground and rose to his hind legs, his eyes still on June. “Was it a nightmare?”

space“Ah, yeah. . .” June looked down and stood, stretching her legs.

space“What was it about?”

space“Well, we were down here wandering and we got lost. . . Then dark walls blocked us apart from each other and. . .” Her voice stopped as she felt a paw rest on her shoulder. Samuel had knelt once more and rested his paw on her, calming her and reassuring her that the dream was over with a simple touch.

spaceHe sat for a moment, then pulled his paw away and stood. “We should press onward, I know the way out from here.” Asteria’s mouth dropped into a frown as she watched him approach the door and speak the rune to open it. “Liriqip.” The door twisted and unraveled, revealing the path ahead. Samuel walked through without hesitation. A moment later, June sprang up and rushed after him, jogging close to his heels. Asteria stood slowly and followed after him, a faint frown on her muzzle as her mind circled his recent behavior and knowledge, disturbed at the secret he was keeping from her.

spaceSamuel led the trio down the left hall and walked towards the main room.

space“Sam?” Samuel glanced down at June. “Er- um, Samuel?”

space“Hm.”

space“Do you think you could teach me those runes?”

spaceSamuel’s outward expression did not change. “I cannot.”

space“Oh. . . is it forbidden or cursed?”

space“No, not that I know of.”

spaceJune tilted her head at him. “Then, why?”

space“Because I cannot read them.”

space“Oh.” June looked down slightly, padding after him. A moment later, her brows furrowed and she frowned. “Wait.” She looked up at him again, tilting her head to the side to try and peer at his face. “What do you mean you can’t read them?”

space“I cannot read them.”

space“Then how do you know what they say?”

space“Memory.”

spaceJune frowned, jutting out her lower lip as she did so. She wanted to persist in arguing with him, but decided to let the conversation drop due to his tone.

spaceSamuel pushed open the doors to the main hall and stepped inside, holding the door open for June and Asteria with his tail. The hall was large and spacious, a chandelier of dragon fangs and scales hanging over head with torn and faded tapestries of royal purple and gold hung on the walls. In the center, a large, triangular table sat atop a stained and faded crimson rug, seven chairs positioned around it. Placed evenly apart and positioned as though at the corners of some invisible square, four rugs rested on the ground, each stitched with a different scene, but faded beyond recognition. Samuel walked along to the door marked by the red runes which was across from them. June began to follow after him, then strayed to the side to examine the tapestries.

space“Wow. . . this place is gorgeous! How long do you think it took them to stitch these?” The viscling looked up at the towering tapestries with shimmering eyes. Samuel turned his gaze to the draping cloth and examined it for a moment with a neutral expression.

space“I’m not sure, but it certainly took a while. It’s a shame how they have faded.” Asteria peered at the tapestries and made her way to June. Samuel watched as they examined the tapestries, pausing as well to gaze at the ones around them.

space“Oh! This one still has some patterning on it!” June ran to the next tapestry, her paws echoing on the stone floor. Asteria stayed at the first, gazing at it curiously and Samuel stood near the center. Slowly, his expression changed and his eyes fell to the floor. His mind lingered on the sound of June’s paws. For a place such as this, echos were unusual, particularly since no echos were heard in the halls and tighter corridors. He looked at his own paws and tapped the ground. Sure enough, the sound echoed across the room.

spaceSamuel’s eyes widened as he realized it all too late.

spaceThe ground below them crumbled and caved and they fell into the countless tubes which weaved too and fro beneath the hall. Samuel strained to catch himself, but slipped after watching Asteria and June fall down separate tubes. He slid rapidly, positioning himself to brace for an impact at the end. The tube jerked left and right, then cut off.

spaceHe fell ten feet, giving him just enough time to get his hind legs beneath him and activate the hardening ability before striking the ground. He landed heavily, stirring the dust around him and his nose twitched as he fought the urge to cough.

spaceThe new room was not one he had seen before. It was dimly lit, only wall torches lit with dim purple fire scattering weak light on the cobblestone around him. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling and stuck to corners and rats could be heard squealing as they scuttled away. However, most disturbing of all, was the mass of skeletons which laid strewn about carelessly on the floor. None were intact, or even close to being so, showing that the bodies were either broken apart before falling here, they were bones when they had fallen, or they had died at different times, each being trapped down here after the other.

spaceSamuel frowned deeply at the thought of the last. It did make the most sense. They had never let him eat in the main hall when guests visited, even when they brought his brother out to eat there. He had heard of guests going missing or prisoners who would be taken to dinner then become absent the day after. His young mind had filled the stories with happy solutions like them leaving or being given a great position, but as he gazed at the bones around him it became clear what had truly become of them.

spaceAfter a moment, Samuel pulled himself from the focus of the skeletons and examined the walls. No runes were painted on them, but certain stones stood out from others in a crooked, vertical line. He approached it and pressed on the stones, causing the door to swing open. Before him was a hallway absent of light, the darkness rushing from within, spilling over his body like heavy ink. He released a heavy breath and stepped forward, pressing into the shadows. At his third step, fires burst to life, illuminating purple on several wall mounted torches which hung along the hall. He pressed on, unphased by the change.

space“June. Asteria.” He called their names and listened to his voice as it echoed, but frowned when no response came. As he had feared, they were in different areas than him. They were lost and separated, and, to make matters worse, Samuel had no experience with the area below the underground. He groaned and rubbed his head with a paw, trying to press the growing headache from his skull. “Alright, just breathe and think. They will find their way, they are smart. Just focus on your own path and worry about finding them once you are free.” He released a steady and long breath, then began walking forward with a new, driving determination in his eyes.

spaceSamuel slammed his shoulder against the wall for the fourth time. At last, the wall crumbled. He stumbled forward, catching himself with his hind paws, then shook out his feathers. He snorted, shoving the dust from his nostrils with the sharp breath, and peered into the next room. Slowly, his body drooped and his head leaned back and tilted up as he realized where he was. Strangely, finding something familiar did not bring comfort to him, but disappointment. Of all the places he could have ended up in, it just had to be this one.

spaceSamuel stepped over the rubble slowly, cautious to not make a single sound. The room before him was circular, a door directly on the other side. Dozens of torches hung on the walls, purple and red flames burning on the end of them. The floor was stone with lines pressed into it, providing grip so he wouldn’t fall easily. In the center of the room, a large figure hovered. It’s shape was rhombus-like with a flat part on the front that seemed as though someone had sliced off the triangular end. The flat part was painted with runes, keeping the beast closed and sealed. Samuel hesitated, his eyes lingering on it. Slowly, he began to step, making his way around it to reach the door, his eyes never leaving it. It took twenty steps to cross the room and reach the door. Once there, he hesitated, his eyes lingering on the figure, then turned to face the door. Almost instantly, a loud screeching sound echoed across the room and red lights illuminated the area behind him. Samuel sighed heavily and turned to face the awakened beast. It stood on six, large legs, its torso appendage rising up with two long limbs extending from the top. It’s head was triangular with one long, red, scanner bar for eyes. Samuel glared at the beast as its arm appendages morphed into the oh-so-familiar guns. “Right. You trigger when I look away. Wonderful.”

space“Samuel, you committed a fatal error in turning your back to a foe. An enemy will al-” Samuel spun, swinging his tail high and striking the beast across the head, snapping the metal cylinders that held its head on. The head drooped down, hanging by only a few wires. Samuel rushed forward and jumped on the beast as it raised its guns. He clung to the beasts shoulders with his forepaws and slammed his tail on the ground, giving an extra boost to his momentum. The rear legs slipped and collapsed, causing the beast to fall onto its back. Its legs flailed while it tried to get up and its guns began to fire at the ceiling. Samuel’s forepaw scales hardened and he began striking and slashing at the beasts torso, tearing into the metal casing and ripping his way to the center wires. When the cluster became available, he latched onto it and yanked, ripping them from the core of the beast. It’s body jerked and twitched for a moment, then collapsed and fell still.

spaceSamuel tossed the cluster of wires to the side and stood, glad to be done with the fight. He made his way around to the door and pressed his paw on it. The door flashed blue and cracked open. Samuel tensed, peering into the room and waiting for the next trail to come into view. However, none was there. He frowned and stepped into the room, tense and ready for an attack. He began to cross the room to the next door, but a dummy popped up in the center after only a few steps. Samuel braced himself to fight, but paused. The dummy had small paw prints on it with little scratches, and a scorch mark on its face. Each attack delivered to it was aimed for the vitals and placed with full force each time. He frowned and knelt before the dummy, touching it lightly with a paw. Each and every blow, each and every move he made towards it would have been a killing blow on a living creature. He closed his eyes for a moment, breathing deeply. When the moment passed, he stood up and walked past the dummy to the next door, opening it.

spaceWhen the door opened, Samuel felt relief. The room ahead was rectangular and lit differently. He walked through it, ensuring his tail wouldn’t be in the way, and looked back. He recalled the time past where he would face these trials at a younger age. Attacking that dummy would have opened a different door which led to more trials. He sighed and turned his head away to gaze at the room. Before he could identify the details, his eyes locked onto movement.

spaceAsteria walked into the room, her expression cold. “Asteria, you made it through.”

spaceHer eyes met his and darkened. She approached him quickly, her posture stiff. “Samuel.” She stopped directly in front of him, her body trembling with anger. It seemed clear that she has a million things to say but didn’t know what to start with. Samuel frowned slowly.

space“Asteria, what did you see?”

space“Papers, lots of them. All logs about these two little boys who were raised here and their progress, two sons of Libra. The first was easy to identify, of course, Perun is unmistakable on paper and in person, but the second. You know, he was tricky to pinpoint. Even when they described his appearance, he was still hard to identify. That’s because the person I knew who looked like the kid described told me that this place was of no significance. Told me that Libra was only a boss to him and that Soma was hardly a part in his life. The one I knew that fit that description had no loyalty to Libra and was focused on what was better for himself and others rather than following orders, rather than wanting to kill every challenge placed before him.”

spaceSamuel’s expression did not change. He knew it was only a matter of time before she figured something out about this place, it was why he wanted to leave so badly, or at least part of why. Even as his friend stood before him, fuming and betrayed, he could not find anything to say. “What? Got nothing to say? No more lies to spew?” Her eyes slowly softened as she stared at him. “Samuel. . . who are you? I feel like all I know about you is just lies. . .”

spaceSamuel opened his mouth to protest, but a smaller voice beat his own.

space“Samuel! Asteria! You guys are here!” June ran over and skid to a stop beside them, her small tail moving side to side rapidly. “And you're okay! Samuel, that fight was so cool! I can’t believe you beat up something so large!”

spaceSamuel stared down at her and blinked. “What?”

space“That big robot you fought! I ended up in some room with screens everywhere and I saw you fight it from its eyes. I could see a lot of things around here, even the exit! And, I saw some weird things too. There was footage playing from years ago of you, but littler. You were with Libra and Soma and you seemed excited and happy, and you were learning too. Did you have a twin?”

spaceSamuel’s eyes slowly moved to Asteria. Her gaze was stone. “No, I don’t have a twin. I was raised here under Libra and Soma.”

space“Woah! So, they’re your parents?”

space“No. They aren’t my parents, but they did raise me. Now, where did you see that exit?”

space“Right this way!” June ran to a door and Samuel walked after her. Behind him, Asteria stood in place and gazed at the stone below her where his paws once were. After a moment, she turned away and walked after them.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Five

Postby Hail. » Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am

spaceSamuel stood in silence at the edge of the room he was raised in, his back pressed against the cool wall as his eyes traced the ground, tracking down each and every memory. He released a heavy breath from his nose and tilted his muzzle down for a moment, grimly relaxed.

spaceThe door beside him opened and he turned his head to see his approacher. Perun stepped through, his eyes quickly locking onto Samuel and a small, faint smile growing on his face.

space“Having some trouble adjusting, too?”

spaceSamuel shrugged and looked away, then nodded. “Yeah. As much as I am excited to move and to do things, I just. . .”

space“Yeah, I know what you mean. It’ll be rough.”

spaceSamuel nodded slowly and glanced at Perun as he leaned against a nearby wall and tilted his muzzle up, breathing deeply.

space“What do you think they’ll be like? Libra’s army.” Perun didn’t move his head down as he spoke, he looked up as though to look beyond the ceiling of their home.

space“Well, I am sure they will be well trained. Probably pretty tough, maybe a little mean.”

spacePerun nodded slowly, then closed his eyes and Samuel frowned.

space“What’s eating at you?”

spacePerun shrugged a little. “I’m just unsure about the move.”

space“It’s more than that, isn’t it? Perun, come on, you can tell me anything.”

spaceSlowly, Perun smiled and moved his muzzle back down and towards Samuel. “I guess I am more scared of change.”

spaceSamuel frowned. He knew what Perun meant. Changing homes wasn’t the scary part at all, it was how it would affect the brothers that scared both of them. Libra’s armies were trained in a far different way than they were, and the second they entered that building life would become a competition.

space“Yeah, I guess I know what yo-”

space“Sam,” Perun’s expression suddenly darkened and a grim frown creased his mouth - something rare to see. “I don’t know how things are going to go when we move. I don’t know if we will be around each other anymore, or just separated forever. But, I just want to tell you that, no matter what happens to me, no matter what I become, you will always be my brother.”

spaceSamuel gazed back at Perun for several moments before reaching over and shoving his brother’s shoulder, forcing him to stumble and lose his balance. Perun inhaled sharply and lurched forward, slamming a paw on the ground to catch himself, and turned to stare at Samuel.

space“Dude, what the hec-”

space“Don’t get so sympathetic, Perun.” Samuel pushed himself from the wall and faced his brother with a stern expression. “You’re acting like this will be the end for us. All that this move is is a chance for us to grow and to expand our boundaries, to see the world with new eyes and to make Libra proud. None of that is ever going to change the fact that we are brother’s so get that idea out of your head, alright?”

spacePerun stared at Samuel for a moment, then grinned and nodded firmly.

space“Yeah, you’re right. We’ve been there for each other all this time, so what’s the difference of just a move? We’ll kick the tails of everyone there together.”

spaceSamuel nodded firmly. Both brothers paused as a door opened and Soma stepped in, gesturing for them to come along with a paw.

spaceShe turned away and walked, leading them, and Samuel followed after her. Perun hesitated for a moment then stepped after him, his eyes on Samuel and his gaze blurred with worry. Though his brother was calm and confident about the move, and though he was reassuring that nothing would change between them, a soft and grim note still chimed in his heart that everything between them was going to change. All the days of training together, the times they played and learned from each other, and even the times where they turned to each other in times of emotional distress. . . They were older than they were then, and yet, Perun pleaded internally hoping that it was not too much to ask that things stay the same between them. Forever.

spaceThey followed June through the halls and corridors, Samuel opening the doors as they came across them. It took nearly an hours worth of walking and sixteen doors before they climbs the stairs which led them back to that main hall. As the room came into view, June hesitated and looked back at Samuel, who pressed on without a word. The viscling watched as Asteria passed over her as well without a glance then mustered her courage and followed the two closely.

spaceSamuel entered the hall first and walked steadily. The floor had come back together, for the most part, and so he stayed on the most completed parts where his steps did not echo along the walls. He led the group across the main hall and to the far, red door. With a mutter, the door flung open and he pressed on, Asteria and June trailing silently behind him. Once past the main hall, Samuel’s pace quickened. He followed the red paths to and fro, steadily moving upward with them until, at last, the first glimpse of daylight was available.

spaceJune gasped excitedly and rushed past them to stand under the light and stare up at it. Slowly, her expression melted into one of confusion and disappointment. “Wait. . . Wait, it’s not a door. . . it’s just a dome. . .”

spaceSamuel approached and looked up, nodding slowly. “Stand back, June.”

spaceThe child did as told and scampered back to Asteria, who watched silently in the hall. Samuel swung his tail, striking the dome near the edges several times. The thick glass rattled and creaked but showed no sign of loosening. He stopped and hardened the scales on his paws. With several heavy hits, the sealing on the edge of the dome cracked. He drove his claws into it and pried, pulling the dome from the wall until a hole was made large enough for the three to slip through. “Okay, quickly now. Asteria first.”

spaceAsteria hesitated and narrowed her eyes at Samuel. “Why not June?”

spaceSamuel glared at her, straining from the weight of the dome. “If there is an attacker up there, June cannot defend herself. If I go first, I cannot hold the dome for you. Now go.”

spaceAsteria’s snout crinkled into a slight snarl as she stepped forward. She placed her paws on the edge and pulled herself out of the place and onto the fresh grass above.

spaceSamuel waited a moment, watching Asteria as she examined the area around her, then turned to June. “Grab onto my tail.”

spaceJune did as asked, eager to leave the place they had been trapped in. Once Samuel was sure she had a firm grip, he moved his tail to the gap he held, allowing June to spring from it and into the grass. She did as expected without him having to request it of her.

spaceOnce the others were out, Samuel moved his head forward and rested the dome on his horns. He grabbed the edge of the wall and began to pull himself upward, grunting against the force of the dome as it tried to close down on his body. He struggled and pulled himself up, curling his tail to his right so the dome would not slam shut on it. As the dome slid down to his torso, he felt small paws grab hold of his right arm. He glanced down to see June, the end of his tail in her mouth and her paws holding his firmly so he would not slip. He nodded firmly and pulled himself out, the dome nearly falling on his hindpaw. Once free, Samuel stood and June released his tail and paw. She looked up at him with a nervous smile. “Did I help you, or only hinder you?”

spaceSamuel nodded firmly and gave the viscling an awkward, hesitant pat on the head. “You helped me. You did well.”

spaceJune grinned up at him and Samuel looked away and focused instead on their location.

space“We traveled further East.”

spaceSamuel looked to Asteria who stood with her back to him.

space“How can you tell?” June tilted her head and examined the sky, looking for a sun that was covered by the trees.

space“I can see Libra’s magic behind us. It looks smaller now.”

spaceAt the mention of His magic, a chill of silence rushed over Samuel and June. The three stood in silence for a moment, gazing in the distant West, their minds on the place they left.

spaceFinally, Samuel turned away and walked to the East. June broke from her trance and followed after him silently, but with high steps.

spaceAsteria was last. She slowly turned away from the West, her eyes still lingering on the swirling black sand which rose high above the mountains.

spaceThey traveled East in silence, their minds lingering in different points of time. The woods were quiet and, to Samuel’s disappointment, still thick. Ahead of them, he could see the mountain peaks of the border between the East and West. Each time the snow capped peak came into view, a small slither of hope was sparked in his chest. They had come far and surely they had to be near their journey’s end. Crossing the mountains would be their final task, and from there they would be free, Libra’s fear constricting his reach to the East.

spaceA strange smell filled the air and Samuel paused. He looked around the trees which surrounded them, smelling the air and searching for the source. In a moment, his eyes widened as realization struck with an arrows speed.

spaceA figure shot from the shadows of the forest, smashing into Samuel and throwing his balance to the floor. Samuel staggered, waving his tail behind him to regain balance while grabbing his attacker. He twisted his body and yanked his foe around and to the side to slam them on the ground, but the stranger twisted their body and delivered a firm kick to Samuels jaw, sending him back and throwing his grip from the stranger.

spaceSamuel’s teeth came down onto his tongue as he reeled and he grimaced. His paw moved back and slammed into the ground, catching him. He stood, staring at where the stranger was moments before. His lips curled and he spat, flinging blood and saliva to the grass. “June, Asteria. Stand back.”

spaceBehind him, June backed up to a tree, her tail tucked and her body trembling. Beside her, Asteria stood with a stoic expression, watching Samuel.

space“Aren’t you going to help him?”

spaceAsteria said nothing, her gaze unchanging.

spaceFrom between two trees, the stranger seemed to almost appear from the shadows, mid-sprint with a sharpened lance. They lunged forward, moving the lance quickly to Samuel’s rib cage.

spaceSamuel twisted his body to face his foe and sucked in a sharp breath as the lance ripped open a slash on his shoulder. Samuel raised his paws and hardened their scales to defend as the stranger rushed at him, the fresh cut throbbing on his shoulder.

spaceThe stranger collided against him with enough force to send his paws skidding back nearly a foot. The two stood, head to head in a contest of force. Samuel snarled at the stranger and examined their face. A male with curled horns and seething red eyes. Unforgettable in appearance, yet he did not know him.

spaceThe male shoved Samuel’s chest, sending him back a step and breaking his guard. He quickly dashed back and adjusted his grip on the lance as Samuel regained his balance. Samuel’s eyes watched him intently as the male’s own attention flicked to the two females, resting on June.

spaceSamuel’s eyes narrowed as his suspicions were confirmed.

spaceHe rushed the male, slamming his body against the foe’s with as much force as he could, throwing both off balance. The male fell and Samuel landed atop him and began striking with his paws, tearing feather and skin.

spaceThe male grunted and clenched his jaw and Samuel felt a sharp, screeching pain in his side. He turned his head sharply to see what had harmed him. As he did, the male slammed a paw against Samuels wound, sending fire up his side and throwing him to the ground.

spaceThe male leapt up and readjusted his grip on the lance while Samuel’s paws touched his side, finding a strange arrow. He growled and snapped it, leaving the arrow head in his side. He stood, his eyes locked onto the foe.

spaceAs he arose, the foe swung his lance, aiming for Samuel’s neck. Samuel raised a paw, blocking it with the hardened scales.

spaceWhen the lance jerked the other way from the force of impact, Samuel dashed forward and slammed his good shoulder against his foes stomach, tackling him to the ground. They landed heavily on the ground and Samuel moved his head to bite the base of the male's throat. He latched on, but before he could sink his fangs in the male's claws drove into the sides of Samuel’s own neck, tearing the flesh. Samuel hissed and arched his back, delivering a firm kick to the male’s stomach. He kept his grip on the males neck and sunk his fangs in, fighting the pain as the male tore at his neck. He bit down harder with intent to crush the males windpipe and end the fight.

space"Sam! Don’t!”

spaceThe voice snapped his focus and his eyes darted over to June, who stood a little closer now with wide and panicked eyes, her feathers flattened in fear.

spaceSamuel stared at her, wondering.

spaceA moment later, his concentration and grip were lost as another arrow drove into his back. Samuel hissed and reeled back. The foe saw an opportunity and delivered a striking kick to the top of his throat, just below his jaw. Samuel staggered back and snarled as his foe jumped to his feet, retrieving the lance.

spaceSamuel rushed him and his foe jumped back and to the side, moving away from June and Asteria. As Samuel turned to face him he watched an arrow form from the shadows cast by the trees.

spaceHis eyes widened and he dove back and towards June. The arrow struck his shoulder, hitting just where June’s leg would have been.

spaceThe viscling stared at him as he heaved himself from the ground. His limbs trembled, but he felt no exhaustion.

space“Stay behind Asteria.”

spaceAs June shuffled behind Asteria, Samuel launched himself forward with a wrathful screech. The male had time to widen his eyes before Samuel collided with him, slamming him to the ground. The momentum of his attack threw Samuel over the male and he skid to a stop using his claws.

spaceHe turned sharply and rushed the male again. The male jolted to his feet, swinging his lance towards Samuel's thigh and tearing the skin.

spaceSamuel stumbled and hissed, biting his tongue once more, though this time to shut out the pain of the new gash.

spaceHe turned to face the male just as another arrow was fired straight towards his head. Swiftly, he moved a paw up and deflected it, sending the arrow shooting to the ground with enough force to bury it half-way.

spaceSamuel sprinted, ignoring the biting pain of his leg, and collided with the male once more. They slammed against the ground, the impact forcing the spear from the males grip, and Samuel bit down on the male's throat once more, tightening his grip instantly. The male clawed at Samuels chest and hissed, trying to get away. Another arrow struck Samuels side, but his grip did not release.

space“Sam!”

spaceHe ignored her voice this time, tightening and snarling. His vision was blurred by pain and rage.

spaceHe braced himself, tensing his jaw to crunch down and crush the males windpipe, but small paws rested on his leg. His eyes darted over and he stared at June, who clung to his leg with desperate and angry eyes.

space“Let him go! He lost!”

spaceSamuel made eye contact with her for several moments, his grip remaining firm. Then, slowly, he caved.

spaceHe released the male and stepped back, sliding June back with his tail as he did. He now felt the pain of all his wounds and took a shuddering breath. His body ached and stung, the parts where the lance had struck screaming out the loudest.

spaceHis eyes remained locked on the male as he turned over and coughed several times before slowly lifting himself from the ground. The two made eye contact again and Samuel bared his fangs. The male tensed for a moment, then frowned as his eyes drifted to June.

spaceSlowly, his body relaxed and he gave a small nod, surrendering.

space“Who are you?” Samuel snarled the words, his guard still up.

space“Fenris.”

spaceSamuel scowled. The name was not familiar. “So, did Libra send a mercenary?”

space“Of sorts.” Fenris frowned and gently touched his throat before looking down at the blood on his paw. “You know, you’ve got a savage bite. . .”

spaceSamuel’s eyes narrowed. “Every part of me is saying to kill you now, but. . .” Samuel shook his head and sighed heavily, releasing his tension with that long breath. “A mercenary wouldn’t understand what we are fighting for. I’ll give you the same offer I gave the other. Leave now and do not return, or die where you stand.”

spaceFenris’s eyes drifted to Samuel’s body, peering at his wounds as though sizing up whether or not this is a fight he could win. Then, slowly, he nodded his head and met Samuel’s eyes. “Seems we both have something to fight for. Good luck. I have no doubt that your hunter will send more after I do not return.”

spaceSamuel grunted and nodded. The two stood in silence for a moment, then Fenris picked up his lance and walked into the woods. As the shadows flowed over him, he seemed to almost vanish completely.

spaceSamuel waited several moments before sighing once more and sitting down heavily, his body aching and trembling from the fight.

spaceJune padded around and approached his side, looking at the arrows which stuck from his body. “Sam. . .”

spaceSamuels gaze rested on her, then softened. “I’ll be fine, June.”

spaceJune scowled at the male and Samuel’s ears flicked up at the sudden and strange look of anger in her expression.

space“Quit lying to me!” She moved her paws down to the slash on his leg and looked at it firmly before glaring at him. “Why are you always having to act like the tough guy when you’re hurt?”

spaceSamuel’s expression grew grim. “What do you mean by that.”

spaceJune shook her head and cupped her forepaws together. She focused her energy to her paws for a moment, then spread them. In the center of her paw a small orange and yellow orb hovered. She examined it for a moment, then pressed it against Samuel’s wound. He tensed and clenched his teeth, ready for more pain, but was surprised to see that the orb seemed to calm the pain and even began to close the wound.

space“How can you do that?”

space“I use my magic to heal. Remember?” Her eyes flickered to his face then back to the wound.

space“Yes, but you were only able to heal minor wounds. Scratches and scrapes.”

spaceJune shrugged and smiled at him. “I picked up a thing or two from those videos of you training as a viscling.”

spaceSamuel frowned but said nothing as June continued to heal his other wounds. He watched Asteria as June pulled the arrows from his side and healed the holes they left. “Thanks for the help.”

space“You didn’t ask for any.” Asteria responded coldly and Samuel scowled.

space“I meant in protecting June, you let her run up to the battle. She could have been wounded because of your negligence.”

spaceAsteria shrugged. “Maybe you should just pay more attention to someone other than yourself.”

spaceSamuel snorted heavily and shook his head, turning his gaze away. June patted his shoulder after healing the final wound and nodded firmly. “How do you feel?”

space“Better. Thank you.” He stood and looked down at June. She looked up at him with a smile and he slowly turned to the East. “Let’s press on. We will find a spot nearby to rest.”

spaceSamuel walked in the lead, June trailing close behind and Asteria lingering. From time to time, Samuel felt June’s eyes fall upon where his wounds were, as though to ensure her magic did its job, but each time he looked back her gaze always darted somewhere else.

spaceIt took thirty minutes to find a suitable camp. Once it was located, Samuel dug a fire pit and Asteria lit it before he asked her to. As the three sat around the fire, Samuel could feel the tension like centipedes on his back. Unable to stand it any longer, he spoke up.

space“June. Let’s go hunt.”

spaceJune’s ears pricked up and she jumped to her feet. “Okay! What are we hunting?”

spaceSamuel stood and began walking towards her. “Rabbits. Asteria, stay here and tend to the fire.”

spaceAsteria grunted, her eyes locked on the fire, as Samuel and June walked together. When their figures slipped into the trees, her eyes trailed after them and watched them fade away.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Six

Postby Hail. » Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 pm

spaceHe stood stiffly, his head held high as Libra spoke. Beside him, his brother stood with a more energetic energy to him, though he stood as firmly as Samuel.

spaceLibra finished his spew, introducing the two new viscets without unveiling their past or origin to the crowd of viscets given power beneath Libra. The large male glanced back at his sons and nodded firmly, then walked away.

spaceAll stood still as Libra left, not moving a muscle until the door closed behind him. As the lock clicked into place, a rush of life flooded the crowd and Samuel watched with an unchanging expression as the viscets he was to work alongside chattered, eyeing him with unease.

spacePerun nudged his shoulder and Samuel glanced at him. "So, what do you think? We are finally working with him. I think he trusts us."

space"So it would seem, but he gave us a low ranking position."

space"It's to help us blend in. Could you imagine what would happen if he immediately made us his third and forth in command without them knowing us? There would be chaos."

spaceSamuel did not respond, but instead turned his gaze to the crowed once more. Perun had a point, one that he was well aware of. His appearance alone seemed to set the others on edge, and he couldn't help but notice the way they eyed Perun's markings suspiciously. The viscets made it clear by action alone that, if they knew who the brothers were, then chaos would ensue.

space"Perun," Samuel turned his head to his brother once more and the two met eyes. "Let's tell no one of our origin, rise through the ranks by skill alone, rather than birth. When we get up there, we will see which of us is better as we fight for third in command."

spacePerun laughed quietly. "Ah, so you want to lose? Well, so be it! I'll see you around." He smirked at Samuel and jogged off, entering the crowd and greeting viscets as he maneuvered past them to reach his room. Samuel watched him and how smoothly he integrated himself with the crowd, his actions and words making the unease the others felt at his appearance fade away. Slowly, Samuel frowned and turned away from the crowd, moving to the doors opposite of those Perun left through in order to wander the building and learn more of it.

spaceHours had passed since their announcement and word of Perun had spread across the facility. As Samuel entered into the large hall designated for the dinning of Libra's workers, he could not help but hear others talk fondly of his brother, describing him as an easy going, soft-hearted fool. He did not protest their words or try to defend him, for he knew well just how wrong they would soon find themselves to be. Perun was friendly, yes, but his ambition was much like Samuel's own, and it always took the lead of his thoughts.

spaceSamuel sat and stretched his neck and shoulders, popping the joints that had gone stiff from the lack of activity in the day. The facility was oddly underwhelming, and the staff were no different.

spaceAround him, viscets chatted and gossiped, some trying in vain to lower their voices as they talked about him. It was clear that they were intimidated by him, no longer by appearance alone. His attitude had been made clear to them as he moved about through the day, and they seemed to almost fear him. Samuel, however, did not mind.

spaceSamuel's attention was ripped forward as a viscet slammed her paws on his table. The loud sound which rippled from her action tore the focus of the viscets around them to the due and a hush fell over the crowd.

space"So you're Samuel! Hah! You certainly don't live up to your rumors!" She grinned at him, her teeth gleaming white against the dark feathers around her muzzle. She was not half bad looking, but her arrogant nature nearly made his eye twitch. "Well now, not much of a talker, eh? You haven't been welcomed properly!" She extended a paw with a devious grin on her muzzle. "The name's Asteria!"

spaceSamuel's eyes drifted to her paw for a moment, acknowledging it, then returned to her face with a bored and dismissive glint. Asteria's smile turned crooked for a moment and her paw twitched, as though his action had struck a nerve.

space"Alright, tough guy." She dropped her paw and her smile fell with it. She leaned towards him, her ears held high and her expression dark. "How about the second greeting, then? Let's see just how much you're worth. Libra doesn't take just anyone in, so let's see why you got to be a chosen one."

spaceSamuel glared up at her, feeling more annoyed than threatened. By her expression alone, he knew that rejecting her demand would only heighten the situation, and besides, he genuinely wanted to put this viscet in her place.

spaceHe did not speak. Instead, he rose, sliding his chair back and sighing at the same time. He took a moment, then moved swiftly to the right.

spaceHis tail struck the table, throwing it upward and to the side. Asteria jerked her head back just in time, her expression breaking into one of shock, then remolding itself to bear that same, irritating grin once more.

spaceShe stepped back and raised her paws. Vibrant purple magic flowed between them, growing stronger as it did. Samuel stood, watching her expectantly as she decided on an attack.

spaceHer paws shot forward, hurling the magic towards him. It morphed into a dagger-like shape in the air and Samuel moved his paw. Freezing cold flowed from his paw pad, sticking to the water particles in the air and meshing them together rapidly in a large arc of ice. The magic struck it and both shattered.

spaceAsteria stared at it in fascination and excitement, and Samuel burst into action. He moved fluidly, swinging his other paw forward and sending a streamline of fire towards her as he muttered an ancient rune. Wind kicked to life in the room, disturbing the viscets around them as it rushed ahead, breathing life and power to the fire and increasing its size.

spaceA moment before the fire hit her, Asteria pulled up a desperate shield. The fire smashed against it, shattering it and pressing forward and to the wall behind her. As she straightened and recovered, Samuel rushed her and slammed his tail against her shoulder, throwing her to the side. She crashed into several nearby tables, drawing shouts of protests and gasps of fear from the viscets who sat at them.

spaceAsteria began to sit up, shaking off the daze from her mind. She looked past her as Samuel rushed forward, springing onto the tables and moving swiftly towards her. She acted quickly as he threw her again, gripping onto his whiskers and yanking him to the floor with her.

spaceSamuel slammed a paw heavily against the top of her throat, pressing his claws against her skin in a threat, and grabbed the paw which griped his whiskers with the other one. He snarled at her and she growled back, though her expression was anything but angry.

space"Woah. Alright, alright. I give up, but dang! I get it now, you're pretty reckless, and one freaking powerful fighter!"

spaceSamuel waited for a moment, then pushed off of her. She released his whiskers as he did and the two stood, Samuel indifferent and Asteria excited.

space"Who taught you to fight? I didn't know you use both magic and physical combat, it's strange to see - especially in someone with as wide of a magic range as yours."

spaceSamuel watched her, then let out a soft breath. "My brother and I trained together for the most part." He extended a paw to her. Though he still wasn't too fond of her, he had to admit that she was skilled. Grabbing his whiskers put him into a dangerous position with her having control of his head. "The name's Samuel."

spaceShe tilted her head slightly to the side and down, smirking with crooked eyebrows as she peered at him with almost amused confusion. "I already know your name, you know that, right?"

spaceSamuel's expression did not change, and slowly hers did. The cocky grin faded and she relaxed leaning her head back ever so slightly and shifting her weight as she took his paw and shook it firmly.

space"Well, it is nice to meet you, Samuel. The real you. The name's Asteria."

spaceSamuel followed June through the woods as the viscling moved side to side, following the trail of a hare. The trees were silent at this time as the sun began to tuck itself into its bed within the distant mountains. Most creatures were asleep, though the nocturnal ones were beginning to stir to life. In only a few more minutes, crickets would begin to chirp and the life of night would stir.

space“Sam?”

spaceSamuel looked down at her. “Yes?”

spaceJune turned around to face him, shuffling her paws nervously. “I’m sorry for asking right now, but I figured there wouldn’t be a time where Asteria isn’t around you. . . but, why did you bring her along? You two don’t seem to get along very well, so why take her with us?”

spaceSamuel frowned and released a breath. Though he wanted June to focus, he didn’t feel much like hunting at this time either, so a conversation felt welcome, for once. “Well, Asteria and I actually get along quite well. She understands me better than most, so there isn't a barrier between us. I brought her along because, when we lived with Libra and watched over your group, she was my greatest support. She was the only one I knew I could trust with anything, even something which could cause my death. When I told her that I had my eyes opened and was sick of that place, she agreed with me and was relieved, saying she had felt the same way. I took her with me because she was someone I could trust.”

space“Oh. . .” June looked down, then back over Samuel’s shoulder. “Does that still apply? Do you still trust her?”

spaceSamuel glanced back, his frown deepening. “Yes, though I cannot say the feeling is shared any longer.”

space“Why? What happened?”

spaceSamuel slowly looked back at June. “I lied to her. A lot. When we met she didn’t know my past or who I was, and I wanted it to stay that way. Others at that place who found out I was raised by Libra and Soma held me to this standard and treated me with fear and respect, even when I had done nothing to earn it. I wanted a genuine relationship, so I held back a lot of the truth from her. Lately, though, it’s all caught up to me.”

space“Do you think she’ll be able to forgive you?”

spaceSamuel didn’t answer. He gestured with a paw for June to continue tracking and began to follow her through the woods.

spaceEventually, June caught up to the hare. She hid from its senses and crept up, then pounced, missing again. She turned to face Samuel quickly with wide eyes and tense muscles, but slowly relaxed as he knelt down and patted her shoulder.

space“It’s alright. Next time, try to watch the rabbits visual cues. Attacking when its head is up will give it the advantage. Wait for it to lower its head and ensure you are in a good stance before striking. There is no time limit to this hunt.”

spaceJune nodded slowly and looked at her paws, adjusting her position. Samuel straightened and watched her in silence.

spaceHis ear twitched as he heard someone approach.

spaceHe looked over and frowned as Asteria stepped between the trees, her gaze hard. “Asteria. What are you doing over here?”

spaceAsteria’s mouth opened, then closed after a moment. She maintained eye contact with Samuel, then slowly moved her eyes to June. When her gaze returned to the male, she had found the words to say. “Samuel. You have lied to me, all these years. Lied about your past, about your actions and morals, and even to this day you still lie to me.” Her lips twisted into a snarl. “If you can lie to me so easily about such little things, then how can I know that anything was truth?”

spaceSamuel frowned. “Asteria.”

space“Samuel, were we ever actually friends, or was this all some sort of scheme? Some plan made by you and Libra to twist me up a little more?”

spaceSamuel’s ears flicked and he blinked at her, dismayed. “Asteria, how could you think like that?”

spaceAsteria laughed short and bitterly. She stared at him with slightly furrowed brows and shook her head slightly. “That’s all you can say?”

space“You are accusing me of senseless things, how else am I to react?” Samuel stepped forward, his voice raising slightly.

space“I don’t know, maybe with finally telling the truth?! Samuel, those records told more than just that you were raised by Libra and Soma. It went over everything. How you trained, what you did. . . who you killed. You just thought all of that was information to pass over my head, right? Things I didn’t need to know about you?”

space“I didn’t want you to know because I knew this would happen if you did!”

space“If you had been honest with me from the start then this never would have happened!”

spaceThe two stared at each other firmly. Slowly, Asteria’s eyes darkened and she lifted her head. “Samuel. I’ve determined something. You have lied to me about everything - small and large. If you can lie to me like that, then you can lie about anything.” Her eyes rested on June. “I’m taking June and we are heading East. I no longer believe that your intents in taking her from Libra were pure or for the right cause. To protect her, and myself, we will be breaking away from you.”

spaceSamuel frowned and stepped sideways, standing between Asteria and June. “So that’s it? After all these years, this is what it has come down to.”

spaceAsteria’s tail waved. “You should have known it would become this, Samuel. Your lies couldn’t remain hidden forever.”

spaceSamuel sighed and softly shook his head. “I’m sorry, Asteria. I should have told you the truth earlier, but I was scared that you wou-”

spaceAn arrow crafted of vibrant purple magic shot past Samuel’s head, cutting a feather as it passed. Samuel’s eyes rested firmly on her. Asteria stood, magic flowing around her forepaws and a determined, stone gaze in her eyes. “It’s too late for any of that crap.” Asteria moved her paws, her eyes locked on Samuel. “Brace yourself. I won’t be letting you walk away from this fight.”

spaceSamuel’s eyes widened as Asteria fired six large, dagger-shaped projectiles towards him. He dropped to the ground dodging them then looked over his shoulder as they struck a tree, exploding with each impact and ripping a two foot radius chunk from the tree. Samuel turned his attention back to Asteria as the tree groaned and fell to the floor. When his eyes met her, she was rushing him.

spaceHe braced himself for a block and counter attack, his eyes locked on her face.

spaceSuddenly, the rage-filled eyes and the wrath which drove her forward was gone along with the forest behind her. They were back in Libra’s facility and she was running to tackle him, a cheeky grin on her muzzle as she thought she was getting the upper hand.

spaceSamuel’s paws lowered and his muscles relaxed, relief slowly streaming through his body.

spaceThen, all at once and as quickly as it had come, the happiness was ripped away and the fury and forest returned as she drove her paws into his side, releasing a tidal wave of magic as she did so.

spaceSamuel cried out, his side screaming in agony as her claws tore the flesh. Instinctively, he turned his body and delivered a solid kick to her face and neck, sending her reeling away. He stumbled to his paws and stared at her with wide, shocked eyes, blood steadily leaking onto his feathers from where she had struck.

spaceAsteria did not take a second longer. She turned swiftly, swinging her tail high and striking him across the cheek with it. Samuel’s head lurched to the side and he stumbled with it before catching his balance. As he turned his head to face her, her leg shot up and struck him on the jaw.

spaceHis head shot back and he staggered for a moment before tripping on his own tail and striking the ground. Samuel shook his head, fighting the blurry daze which hung over his head. His eyes came into focus in time to see her tail sweeping towards him once more, aiming for the top of his throat.

spaceSamuel’s paws shot up and caught it instinctively. He snarled and tightened his grip, preparing to bite down on the limb, but the world around him morphed once more.

spaceHe held her tail and she stood nearby, pouting and thrashing her tail trying to get him to let go while spewing complaints of him cheating. Despite her aggravated tone, he could tell that she held back laughter. His grip loosened on her tail and she yanked it from his grip before swinging it back a moment later. It struck him across the muzzle, sending him back against the ground. The concrete walls around him faded into forest trees and he laid still, dazed as Asteria pounced atop him and began striking his chest, tearing through feather and skin.

spaceAgony dragged his consciousness to reality and his paws grabbed her arms as he hissed from the slicing pain. Asteria snarled, rising up slightly and putting more pressure on her forepaws, driving her claws deeper into his muscles. Samuel grunted, clenching his jaw as black worms of pain began to wiggle their way into his vision. He arched his back and delivered a firm kick to her abdomen while shoving her paws away from him. She stumbled back several feet, leaving Samuel on the ground.

spaceHe took a heaving breath and slowly climbed from the ground, his muscles trembling. He scolded himself mentally for slipping into the past and focused on Asteria and her posture. She stood with intent to kill. This was not a training simulation, and they were not friends. She was another foe, seeking to take June away from him and endanger the viscling.

spaceSamuel snarled and took several, rushing steps forward. He slammed a paw into the ground and used the momentum to swing his body around, moving his tail towards her, his eyes locked on her face.

spaceAs his tail cut the air, her angry determination faded into a friendly grin as she called a good morning to him, waving from down the hall. A moment later, his tail was in her jaws as she delivered a crushing bite. Bone crunched between her teeth and Samuel bit his cheek, fighting the pain, as blood splattered from his tail to the ground. He yanked it back, worsening the wound while freeing it from her grasp, and snarled, shaking his head violently.

spaceAsteria ran at him again and jumped, driving her hindpaws into the wound she had made on his chest. Samuel’s breath was ripped from him and he staggered back while his nerves poured lava into his system to proclaim their torment. Samuel’s head bowed as his lungs struggled to drag in oxygen. Asteria seized the opportunity and drove her elbow against the back of his neck, slamming him into the ground. As he began to rise, a puncturing pain erupted in his shoulder as a spear of magic shot from her paw, through his shoulder, and into the ground.

spaceSamuel’s paw grasped the spear as he choked on his own breath, trying to steady himself in reality and find a grip. His eyes clenched shut as his jaw tightened, grinding his fangs against each other. Despite his determination, reality still slipped away from him again.

spaceHe was younger, a new arrival. The others were tense towards him, not saying a word for fear of who he was. He sat alone, nervous and wishing for company. Then, she popped up. She walked over casually, slammed her paws on his table and challenged him to a duel. She didn’t give him an option. They fought and he prevailed. While the others stared at him in fear, she grinned at him and introduced herself, proclaiming that they would become great friends.

spaceHe was in the mess hall with her, gazing boredly at his food while she ranted about the portionings. A moment later, he shoved his plate to her. She fell silent, then released a joyful squeal and threw her arms around his neck, thanking him and calling him her “savior.”

spaceThey were training together with magic for the first time. She went all out, using explosion and spearing spells with the occasional summon. He held back, not wanting to hurt her or make her afraid. She demanded that he put effort into the fight, claiming that if he did not then he would only dishonor her. He used his powers and won. She was fascinated, but not even remotely fearful.

spaceHe was on the sight deck, watching the new visclings train. She approached him and watched them, then began to analyze them. They talked about each visclings magical power and how they could help Libra, but he could tell that she seemed half-hearted in the conversation.

spaceHe introduced her to June for the first time. He was quite and cold, but she was sweet to the viscling and helped her open up. He couldn’t help but marvel at her abilities with the viscling and how natural it was to her.

spaceHe stood on the balcony outside, breathing the fresh air and watching Libra’s magic circle the building. She approached him and he spoke of what he had been thinking. She agreed instantly and began to suggest plans, throwing fear through the window in exchange for action.

spaceSamuel’s paw twitched and tightened its grip on the spear through his shoulder. He clenched his jaw tighter as he slowly began to lift himself from the ground, using the pain which flared in his shoulder to drag him back to reality.

spaceThe kind face hardened, the friendship faded, and the happy moments became distant.

spaceHe turned his eyes upward and stared as Asteria picked up June. The viscling thrashed and shouted, reaching for Samuel and calling to him, though her voice was muffled by the gentle voices of the past. He snarled as he stood taller, placing a hindpaw firmly beneath him.

spaceThe playful jokes stopped, the gentle tones vanished, and the reassuring words fell to the dirt.

spaceSamuel breathed heavily, his body trembling from a mixture of rage and agony. His lips curled into a snarl and his fangs parted as he spoke, holding the name out as it morphed from a angry whisper into a loud, thunderous snarl.

space“Asteria!”

spaceSamuel ripped himself from the spear and staggered, blood quickly rushing down his chest. Asteria turned her head back to stare at him with wide eyes as he rushed forward, the voice of the pain in his shoulder, chest, side, and neck being little more than a crickets chirp in the distance. She dropped June to protect herself just before Samuel slammed into her, smashing her into the ground and pinning her.

spaceHis paws hardened and he began striking her face and neck relentlessly, snarling as he did so. His body moved independently, the feeling of her claws as she struggled to cause him pain and break his focus little more than the feeling of grass on his feet. He attacked without mercy. Rage, misery, frustration, and desperation poured into his muscles, pressing his body onward.

spaceAs he attacked, he felt cool liquid begin to slide down his cheeks.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 am, edited 12 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Seven

Postby Hail. » Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 am

space“Hey Sam?”

space“Hm?”

space“What do you think it will be like when we get there? The East. . .”

spaceSamuel shrugged, his eyes drifting to the distant mountains. Slowly a smile spread on her muzzle.

space“Libra says it’s a wasteland, but. . . I like to think that it is more of a blooming desert. A place of dried, cracked ground, but with grass and flowers and trees beginning to sprout forth, nourished by the golden light of the sun and the refreshing touch of the clear waters.” She looked at him and Samuel met her eyes. “Do you think it will be a better place?”

spaceSamuel studied her face for a moment before looking back to the East. “When we get there, you can tell me if it is a better place or not. Deal?”

spaceAsteria grinned and looked off at the mountains as the sun set behind them. “Deal.”

spaceSamuel sat over her body, his paws hanging limp at his sides and his body arcing down, exhaustion flowing from his body like steam. Slowly, he dipped forward and to the side, falling down beside her, facing the sky. As the rage and adrenaline fled from him, he could suddenly feel everything; all of the pain from the fight moments before. His chest trembled with each breath and his mouth hung open, opening wider and condensing with each breath.

space“Sam!”

spaceHe heard her voice and turned his eyes to her, but frowned as he gazed at her body, limp next to his. His eyebrows furrowed, then the confusion faded as he realized who had truly spoken. He turned and watched June rush to him, healing orbs forming in her paw. Once she reached him, she began to work quickly to close his wounds, desperation in each movement.

spaceSamuel’s eyes slowly moved away from her and drifted back to the body beside him. He examined the wounds silently. Each was savage and delivered with force he had only seen in his childhood. The killing wound was not visible, for it was her neck that had broken, ending the fight.

spaceSlowly, Samuel moved his paw to his face and touched a wet feather. He pulled it away and gazed at his paw pad, wondering why his face was wet. The fluid had no color to it. It was soft, clear, and cool.

spaceHis paw clenched into a fist and he closed his eyes tightly. The physical pain was beginning to fade as June worked on his wounds, but a new, strange pain began to tear at his chest. His eyelids drew tighter as he fought the burning feeling in his eyes, but he was not strong enough. Liquid trickled from the corners of his eyes and over the sides of his face. He tried to fight it, knowing June was nearby, but caved. His conscience spoke the truth to him over and over in his head, louder and louder each time.

spaceShe’s dead. She’s dead. She’s dead, and you killed her.

spaceWhen the physical pain had ended, Samuel pulled himself from the ground, his body sore and stiff. June placed a paw on his side as though to steady him, her eyes on him and filled with concern, though he could not met her eyes with his own. He stood and staggered for a moment, then looked back at the body of his friend. He opened his mouth, but June spoke first.

space“We can’t do anything for her body. . . Your fight was loud and might have attracted others. . . we should move.”

spaceSamuel gazed at the viscling. Her voice was filled with the pain and misery which tore at his own heart, yet her body did not tremble. Slowly, he nodded and made a weak gesture for her to lead the way. June hesitated, then walked, her paws moved unsteadily as made her way into the forest, Samuel close behind.

spaceSamuel followed June between the trees, silence hanging over them with the weight of a mountain. Their paws dragged as they walked and Samuel’s tail dragged along the ground, leaving a flattened streak in the grass.

spaceAfter a few moments, he heard quiet sniffling. His eyes moved down to June and he watched for a moment as her chest moved strangely while she tried to fight tears. He frowned and his chest ached. With little thought, he reached down and scooped her up, holding her close to him. June watched his face for a moment as he looked ahead and continued walking, then buried her face into the soft feathers of his chest and began sobbing. Samuel’s grip tightened on her slightly as he walked, tears burning in his own eyes.

space“Hey, Sam.” She stopped him as he moved towards their exit, the viscling wrapped up in a bundle in his arms.

space“Hm?” He muttered the sound sharply, his body tense.

spaceHer eyes rested on the viscling and she frowned slightly. “Are we making the right choice, here? Is life outside really better than in here?”

spaceSamuel’s eyes rested on the little viscling in his arms. She looked up at him with wide eyes, but he could see no fear in her. Slowly, he looked back up to Asteria. “I cannot say. Life out there may be a hundred times worse. The land could be nothing but a desolate desert, as the tales say. Monsters could roam the continent, seeking us out for food. The guardians could be a lie, or they could think us evil and try to kill us. However. . . I think that a life lost striving for something better is of infinite more worth than a life lost never trying to change anything.”

spaceRain hammered down, throwing each droplet onto his back with thundering force, as though giants threw the water from the skies themselves. June had stopped crying, though she was still awake. Rain poured down his feathers, dripping from his chin and arms while his legs moved robotically, carrying them forward with a vacant and hollow mind. He didn’t know how long they had been walking. He didn’t much care, either. The sun was gone and the moon hovered in the sky overhead. The woods were dark, but not silent. With the sound of rain, the occasional beast was heard. An owl in the tree, a wolf in the distance. The forest around them was alive and dead all at the same time.

space“Sam?”

spaceSamuel looked down at the viscling, a frown on his muzzle.

space“Is it all worth this?” Samuel’s frown deepened as June looked up at him, tears in her eyes. “If I had never agreed to your escape plan, then she would be alive and you two would be happy. So, is it worth this? Traveling East has cost so much already, so if you want to just drop me and leave me here, th-”

space“June.” June’s ears flicked up. “Stop those thoughts at this moment.” Samuel knelt and place June in front of him, paws on her shoulders and a stern expression which stared into her soul. “Asteria’s death is my fault, no others. Do not blame yourself for something you did not cause or could not stop.” His grip tightened on her shoulders as he continued. “And never think such things. Her death means only that we must press on further, that we must reach the East. Yes. . . we have suffered many losses, but even if I should die, this journey will never not be worth every second of pain and agony we go through. We will reach the East and we will be free, I promise you that.”

spaceJune smiled shakily, tears streaming down her cheeks. She nodded, biting her tongue so she wouldn’t cry vocally. Samuel gazed at her and gave a warm, broken smile. He pulled her to his chest again and embraced her, arcing his neck over her to protect her from the rain and comfort her.

spaceSlowly, Samuel stood up, holding June closely to him, and he began to walk forward. Above, lightning flashed, briefly illuminating the forest and sky around him. Samuel paused and squinted his eyes, unsure if what he had seen was correct. He stood in place until the next bolt of lightning illuminated the world once more. Slowly, Samuel’s eyes lightened and he looked down to June. “Hey.” June looked up at him, her eyes red from crying. “I have something to show you.”

spaceHe pulled her from his chest and held her up, placing her on his head. June steadied herself with his horns and peered into the darkness with a frown. “I don’t see anything.”

space“Just wait for it.”

spaceA moment later, the lightning flashed once more, casting its light on the base of the mountain which climbed above the nearby tree, stretching towards the sky. He could feel June’s weight shift as she leaned forward. “The. . . the. . .”

space“We reached the mountains. We’re almost there.”

spaceJune released a brief, joyous laugh. It was a sound that had been trapped under waters of sadness, slowly rising to the surface and breaking free like a popping bubble. “We’ve made it. . . We did it! Sam, we’re at the base of the mountain!”

spaceSamuel chuckled and nodded. “We still have a ways to go, but yes. We are at the mountain.” He took her from his head and cradled her again as he walked forward. June laid with her head up, watching the trees move past with excitement, waiting for the world to begin its accent. Finally, the mountain stood before them and Samuel took his first step upon the higher land. June’s grin expanded and she looked up at him, joy burning in her eyes.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Eight

Postby Hail. » Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 am

spaceThe incline of the mountains gave little trouble to Samuel as he hiked along, June now resting on his back, talking eagery and telling stories of how she imagined the East to be. He listened in silence, though he was not annoyed by her constant talking. It was soothing, in a strange way. It kept his mind from his actions the night before and kept him moving forward, though there was a strange nagging feeling in his chest, one he couldn’t quite put a name to. It had been there since his second fight, though it only seemed to truly make an appearance now. Samuel ignored it, not wanting it to disturb their progress or June’s happy mood.

space“Sam?”

space“Hm?”

space“What do you think they will be like? The guardians.”

spaceSamuel walked, pondering as he did so. “Well, I can’t say for sure. I’ve only heard tales of them from Libra, and you can imagine that they were not pleasant ones.”

spaceJune nodded slowly. “My father used to tell me about them.” Samuel turned his head back slightly and an ear twisted to focus on her. “He said there are three: Allaster, Pele, and Apep. Allaster has fire and three tails, Pele has water and some fire, and Apep has lightning. He told me about how they salvaged the lands and defeated the roaming giants to help life return. It’s incredible, isn’t it? Maybe we will be able to meet them. . .“

spaceSamuel nodded slightly and turned his head forward. “June, you mentioned your father. You know him?”

space“Yeah, I remember him. Or at least, bits and pieces. He’s a nice viscet with a heart as warm as his mane and soft paws like mine. He taught me a lot about the world before they found me and took me away from him.”

spaceSamuel walked ahead, a slight frown on his face. “Do you know where he lives?”

space“No, I don’t remember anything about our home. Why?”

spaceSamuel shrugged. “He might want to see you again.”

spaceJune smiled and nodded. “Yeah, you’re right. Maybe we’ll find him in the East?”

spaceSamuel nodded slowly. “Maybe.”

spaceSamuel pressed on as June slowly began to talk again, this time about food. He listened as she talked about her favorites and how she hasn’t tried certain things in what felt like forever. She rambled about food she could remember through hazy memories, then paused. Samuel glanced at her and noticed she was gazing curiously up at him. “Sam, why don’t you eat?”

spaceSamuel shrugged. “I do not exactly feel hunger.”

spaceJune frowned. “Well, don’t you need food for strength?”

space“I have been doing well without it.”

spaceJune shrugged and looked around, enjoying the scenery. “Will there be snow on the cap?”

spaceSamuel glanced up. “Possibly.”

spaceThey walked quietly for a moment, their words drifting in their minds. Slowly, Samuel’s mouth curled into a subtle frown.

space“Hey June.”

space“Yeah?”

space“Hop down for a minute.” June did as he asked, landing smoothly in the grass and turning to face him with a tilted head.

space“What is it?”

spaceSamuel faced June, then slowly looked down at his paws. His frown deepened. “June, you know that I have magic, correct?” She nodded. “But it is sealed. I cannot use it, save for hardening my paws.” Slowly, he clenched his paws, closing them into fists. “June. . . I want to teach you to fight. We should have time right now, before we truly begin the climb.”

spaceJune’s eyes illuminated and she grinned and exclaimed in eagerness, but a tight feeling in Samuel’s chest and stomach, one that had been there since they had returned to the place of his childhood, clenched cruelly. “Okay, so first we will start with helping in combat. Your healing orbs can be thrown, no? You can use them as projectiles to protect your allies.” June nodded and Samuel knelt to her level. “Now, craft an orb. Let me see how exactly you do it.”

spaceJune did as he asked and Samuel used what he learned from watching her to teach her how to “shoot” them far distances. Once he felt confident in her abilities, he moved on to methods of self-defence, lingering majorly in these lessons. Watching her be able to fight for herself loosened the tight grip on his chest, but did not make it go away. He could feel it deep in his bones, a sense of dread and overwhelming ominous power. With Asteria gone and unable to help protect June, he was her final stand, and the mercenary had already taken so much of his strength from him in that one fight. For once, his pride shattered and fear seethed through the cracks, controlling his actions.

spaceJune grinned up at him, excited and proud of herself. “Did I do well?”

spaceSamuel nodded. “You’ll be able to defend yourself, but never forget and never stop practicing those techniques or else you will grow rusty.” Samuel turned and began to walk ahead, but paused and looked back. “June. . . how old are you?”

space“A year and nine months.”

spaceSamuel’s brows pinched as he looked at her. She was stronger since he had first seen her, without a doubt. Her hind legs had become more developed and the muscles were visible when she walked. It looked almost as though she would be able to begin learning to walk on her hind legs alone. He took a step towards her and opened his mouth, preparing to open the lesson to discussion, but she stopped him.

space“Sam! Behind you!”

spaceSamuel turned his head sharply and stared as a large viscet with curled horns and a fox-like tail stalked towards him, seven magic orbs circling around his neck. Samuel frowned and narrowed his eyes at the approacher. They were not familiar, and they did not smell of Libra’s facility, yet he could sense danger seething from their coat as though it were fog.

spaceSamuel released a heavy breath, raising his head higher as he did. “Who are you?”

spaceHe hoped the stranger would answer and that his suspicion would be incorrect, but the stranger said nothing. The male stopped several yards from them, his tail sweeping side-to-side slowly.

spaceSamuel’s ear flicked as he studied him. Something about that pose was familiar. Though he had never seen it before, he could recall Asteria talking about someone who stood similar to that before doing something, but he couldn’t pinpoint it.

spaceHis body tensed and he drew June closer using his tail, ready to spring into action.

spaceThe stranger stood his ground, watching the two in silence. Then, in a split second motion, his body jerked into action.

spaceIt started with a sound of thunder which echoed from the strangers jaws, then turned into twisted writhing and jerking as his body moved in unnatural ways, the skin stretching and the bones breaking, morphing, growing, and changing. Slowly, the stranger grew in size and changed in appearance, and Samuel felt his chest constrict.

spaceTakaeo.

spaceEverything clicked into place in his mind as he watched the male transform before him. The viscet cursed by Libra, nearly as old as the ancient male, and capable of transforming in a massive wolf-like creature. Samuel’s eyes darted back to June.

space“Run! Find a tall place and hide there! Now!”

spaceJune listened without hesitation, rushing to a nearby steep incline and climbing it using small outcroppings of rocks and grooves until she reached a flat part on it, just higher than Takaeo’s wolf form’s spine.

spaceSamuel watched as June stared in horror, then slowly took a deep breath and lifted her paws, beginning to prepare a healing ball. He nodded firmly and looked at Takaeo as the last of his bones cracked into place and he shook, his massive pelt swaying with the motion. The male turned and rested his eyes on Samuel, though he seemed momentarily puzzled by June’s absence. To Samuel, his motive was clear.

spaceSamuel growled and rolled his shoulder.

spaceTakaeo snarled, reared slightly and slammed his paws into the ground with the force of an earthquake. Samuel stumbled for a moment, then broke into a sprint, rushing in an arc towards Takaeo’s legs. The male snarled and swept a paw towards him and Samuel kicked off from the ground, landing briefly on the top of that large paw before jumping off again and landing on Takaeo’s chest.

spaceTakaeo snarled and shook violently and Samuel clung to fur and flesh as he slowly began to climb. Takaeo growled and slammed his paw on the ground, shaking his body. Samuel held tight and climbed, moving up towards the massive males head with the plan to strike relentlessly on the back of his skull, just where it connects to his spine.

spaceAs Samuel neared the location, Takaeo reared. Samuel heard June shout at him from her perch and his eyes grew wide as Takaeo slammed his paws into the ground, jerking his head with the motion. Samuels grip faltered and his back legs swung from Takaeo. As he struggled to restore his grip, Takaeo began shaking again. Samuel’s paws slipped and he fell, striking the ground with enough force to rip the air from his lungs.

spaceSamuel took a sharp, deep breath and slowly began to get up, his back hissing in pain.

spaceHis eyes widened as Takaeo lifted a paw and moved it down quickly above him. He instantly stretched out his four limbs and caught it, pressing back as hard as he could to keep the massive paw from falling on him. His tail flicked rapidly and he snarled, thinking hard on how to escape this.

spaceTakaeo growled and applied more pressure and Samuel hardened his scales to give him an extra boost, though it did little. He was trapped and a timer was counting down rapidly. In the distance he heard June’s voice shouting at him. His ear flicked, acknowledging it, but he did not respond or truly listen. He focused on pressing the paw back as the large male’s head lifted and his grip loosened ever so slightly.

spaceSamuel’s eyes widened as he realized what was happening all too late.

spaceTakaeo turned swiftly, removing his grip from Samuel and turning to June. He bit at the stone where she stood, ripping a chunk of rock from the mountain. Samuel roared and quickly got to his feet, desperately searching the cliffside above for a sign of June. Takaeo spat out the rock and nudged the pile, briefly searching for her body. Above, Samuel noticed something peculiar.

spaceA black and red female leapt from the cliff face, magic flowing around her as her lips twisted into a furious smile. Takaeo lifted his head and stared at her moments before she struck him across the lower jaw. The large male’s head jerked and he let out a loud yelp.

spaceHe shook and turned to stare at her and assess his new foe, but she was already gone from where she had landed. The female was now beneath him preparing another strike. She hit him hard with magic directly across the lower ribs. He cried out again, then snarled and ran, abandoning the fight and the mission as he rushed off into the trees, then instantly vanished upon returning to his smaller size. Samuel frowned.

space“Well now, that was a tough situation.” She turned to him and frowned, concern in her eyes. “Are you okay? He nearly crushed you.”

spaceSamuel didn’t respond. He dusted himself off and began walking around, his eyes scouring for June.

space“Are you looking for the girl? I caught her just in time. She’s ahead of us by just a bit, it’ll only be a few minutes walk.”

space“You left her alone?!” Samuel turned sharply and snarled at the female. Despite his sudden change, she did not seem startled or intimidated.

space“I got her out of the way of the fight. Come on, we can catch up to her in no time if we go now.”

spaceSamuel snorted. “We.” He walked ahead and began climbing. His back still ached from the fall and pressure, but he shoved the pain to the side as he focused on finding June.

spaceTo his disappointment, the female followed. “What’s your name?”

space“Samuel.” His tail flicked as he climbed. There was no danger in revealing his name, after all his body and markings told everything needed for his foes to recognize him.

space“Samuel? Seem’s kind of long. Can I call you-”

space“No.”

spaceShe fell silent for a moment and Samuel felt a chill ripple down his spine. He turned his head to watch her. She was deep in thought, her eyes resting on him.

spaceSlowly, her expression morphed from one of thought to one with a small smile, but a tough gaze. “Sam. I’ll call you Sam.” Samuel snarled, but pressed on, not wanting to dwell in an argument. “You don’t seem to be from around here.”

space“Neither do you.” Samuel glanced back at her with a cold stare.

spaceThe female shrugged and smiled slightly. “Yeah, that’s fair enough. You can call me Kas, by the way.”

spaceSamuel grunted and pressed on. He didn’t expect to call her anything as he knew he would find June and leave with her, without Kas.

spaceAs they reached the top, Samuel pulled himself over with ease and looked around. “Where did you leave her?”

spaceKas climbed from the edge and sighed. “Okay, Sam, you act like I just dropped her in the middle of the woods. There is an empty cave four minutes East of here that I had her hide in. And don’t fret, I put a magic seal on the entrance. Nothing can get in or out except for her.”

spaceSamuel snorted and walked to the East, though his mind wasn’t so intent on blocking her out anymore. He could hear her follow after him and frowned slightly. “So, you must know these mountains then?”

space“Not exactly. I just saw a giant wolf and ran over. I noticed the cave along the way. See, I spend most of my time on rescue and escort missions, so when I saw your little one about to be attacked instinct just kicked in. I had to protect her.”

spaceSamuel nodded slowly and frowned. His mind rested on the moment before Takaeo’s attack. He was stuck on the ground, unable to do anything. Perhaps with his magic he would have been able to easily beat the beast, but the seal on his side proclaimed his limited abilities. He couldn’t help but ponder the foes they would be facing in their final stretch. Reaching the mountains was a great thing, but it also meant that Libra would become more desperate. He should have known Libra would send greater foes to strike him down in a last ditch effort to get June back, but he was so caught up in the misery of his loss and the peace at seeing June’s excitement for the mountains that he had let his guard down.

spaceHe had almost gotten her killed.

space“You sure have been quiet for a while.” Samuel glanced back at Kas who gave him a hesitant smile. “Is everything okay?”

spaceHe turned his head away, focusing on the path before him. “How many times have you done those rescue missions you mentioned?”

space“A few hundred now, I think. I lost track to be honest. It’s not about how many, but more about them making it out alive and well.”

space“Have any you worked with died?”

space“Not a single one. I take my work very seriously, Sam.”

spaceSamuel grunted and walked ahead, his mind torn. After a few more yards, the cave Kas mentioned came into view.

space“June?” Samuel called out her name. A moment later, the floppy-eared viscling rushed from the cave to him and collided with his leg, hugging it.

space“I thought you were going to die! I tried to help you, but I couldn’t reach you with my magic, and then it turned its head towards me and-”

space“It’s alright.” Samuel rubbed her head and sighed softly.

spaceJune slowly turned her gaze behind him and watched Kas for a moment before smiling and releasing Samuel’s leg. “Thank you, by the way. You were too quick for me to say anything, but thank you for saving Sam and me. It means a lot.”

spaceSamuel watched June quietly as she spoke to Kas.

space“It was no problem, honestly. I just saw you two were in a pinch and wanted to help.”

spaceInstantly, June smiled widely and looked back at Samuel. “Sam! Could we give her something to eat or maybe have her tag along with us? She can use magic and she’s strong, so maybe she could help us fight our way up the mountain?”

spaceSamuel frowned and watched June as Kas spoke up. “Fight your way up? Wait, that wolf wasn’t an accident, was it? Are you two being hunted?

spaceJune looked at Samuel who sighed. “Yes, by Libra.”

spaceKas’s mane rose and her eyes widened. “And you’ve made it this far on your own?!”

spaceSamuel’s expression darkened. “No. There was a third.”

spaceKas watched him quietly, then frowned. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

spaceThere was silence among the group for several moments before June broke it, her gaze on Samuel. “Sam, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to have her tag along? Even if only just for the last stretch. She’s incredibly strong and. . . I don’t want you to get hurt.”

spaceSamuel’s eyes met hers for a long moment as his mind slowly settled, overpowering the argument it had been having with itself. “Okay, she can tag along.” He looked back to Kas. “If that’s what she’d like to do.”

spaceKas nodded. “Protecting is what I do, and I’d love to help you two get through the mountain.”

spaceSamuel nodded slowly and began to walk forward. June hesitated, then drifted back to walk beside Kas. The two spoke cheerfully while Samuel’s thoughts circled his decision like vultures.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter Nine

Postby Hail. » Fri May 04, 2018 2:31 am

spaceIt had been several hours since the fight with Takaeo and the sun was hanging awkwardly in the sky, dipping beneath the mountains long before it’s usual time. Long shadows were thrown over the stone and grass as the mountains steady incline transformed into a steep one which required frequent climbing and switch-back routes. As they moved along, June and Kas talked merily. They got along well and June looked up to her in the same way she did to Asteria. Samuel, however, remained silent for nearly the whole time, only grunting or giving brief one to two word responses here and there. His words were within his head as thoughts tumbled and rolled about, arguing and bickering with each other remorsefully.

space“Hey Sam?” June spoke up and Kas fell silent, listening.

space“Hm?”

space“Could we rest?”

spaceSamuel glanced back at her. He did not feel tired, but Asteria’s sharp words rung in his head and he nodded. “Sure.”

spaceJune jogged ahead, glancing back at Kas. “Sam taught me how to find good places to sleep! Just give me a minute and I’ll find us a camp in no time!” Her tail wagged and she turned and went to work. In only a few minutes, she located a camp with solid, flat ground and without any loose debris hanging overhead. Samuel tested it and nodded, then began to dig a fire pit while June and Kas talked, Kas praising her for her intelligence in finding good places to rest in different landscapes. Once the hole was dug, Samuel sat back and looked at her.

space“Do you have fire magic?”

space“Huh?”

space“Sam can’t use his magic, it’s sealed.”

spaceSamuel’s ears flicked, but he did not respond. Kas frowned slightly then gave him a sympathetic smile. “Sure, I can help you.” She snapped and flames burst to life in the firepit. Samuel nodded and stood, turning to June.

space“Hey, Sam?”

space“Hm?”

space“Could I go hunting with Kas? I want to show her what you taught me!”

spaceSamuel hesitated, his eyes turning to Kas and he stared at her for several moments. Then, slowly, he released a breath and nodded, sinking to the ground and sitting. “Alright, but be back in ten minutes.”

space“Thank you Sam!” She grinned and crouched, then rushed off.

spaceKas smiled at him and nodded slightly. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep her safe.” She followed June swiftly and the two moved out of sight to hunt.

spaceSamuel sighed and watched the fire twist and crackle. His paws clenched and he scowled. His paw drifted to his side and clutched at the rabbit marking. In response, the marking burned against his flesh. He snorted sharply and dropped his paw, frustration building up in him. His thoughts, which had been circling before, dove straight in like a pack of ferocious wolves. He could not make a single flame or ice shard, and the earth laid unresponsive to his touch. The winds were wild again, having no commander, and he could not craft a shield or even use his hardening ability on his tail like he used to. The rabbit on his side seemed to laugh, mocking him with Soma’s voice. He could protect himself, of that there was no doubt, but without his powers protecting June was not an option.

spaceHis thoughts slowed and came to rest on Asteria. He had promised they would reach the East together, yet he sat here alone, her corpse resting at the base of the mountain. His paws clenched and he closed his eyes as the final, cruel thought drove its sword deep into his mind, slowly.

spaceA scream ripped him from his thoughts and he sprang to his paws, bolting to the sound. A roar echoed across the mountains and Samuel’s ears flattened as he leaned forward, pressing himself to run faster. He broke through the bushes and skid to a stop, staring at the scene before him. A large bear with crystals shooting from it’s hide lay dead, blood pooling beneath it. Nearby, Kas checked June intently for wounds. Samuel’s feathers bristled.

space“What happened?”

spaceKas stood and faced him, her expression calm, though slightly concerned. “June tracked a fox, but it seems this beast had its eye on the animal as well. It ran out and tried to attack her, but I put up a quick shield over her and stopped it just in time, then took care of it.”

spaceJune grinned at Samuel and padded over. “You should have seen it! The bear hardly knew what hit it before she was done!”

space“We lost the fox, but at least now we have a better source of food.” Kas gestured to the bear and Samuel’s eyes drifted towards its body once more.

space“Take your portion only and return to camp, we won’t carry it back.” He turned away and began to walk back in silence. Behind him, he heard Kas help June get a chunk of meat before taking one for herself.

space“Ew!” June exclaimed her disgust and shock. “You eat it’s heart?!”

spaceKas laughed softly. “What? It’s pure muscle, and its healthy. Besides, eating organs actually protects against heart disease.”

space“Well if that’s not ironic then I don’t know what is.” June shook her head and gagged, sticking her tongue out, then ran after Samuel with Kas, both holding their food in their paws.

spaceAt the camp, Samuel sat silently, his back towards them as he looked West over the mountain side. June and Kas chatted merily while eating, making jokes and teasing each other every now and then.

spaceAs the sun set further down and the mountain side darkened, June grew quiet until her soft snores could be heard again. Samuel sighted softly and watched his paws as he rubbed the pads and flexed the digits quietly. After a moment, he looked back at Kas. The female smiled down at June, petting the visclings head as she slept on her lap.

space“Hey Sam, can I ask you a few questions?”

spaceSamuel shrugged. “Sure.”

space“You said you were running from Libra. What happened? Why does he want your heads?”

spaceSamuel was quiet for a moment, still holding his paws, before he spoke.“I worked directly under Libra. I was over the visclings he kidnapped and was given the task to ensure each stayed in line. June was one of them. A friend and I ended up taking her and fleeing, which enraged him.”

spaceKas frowned. “Why does Libra want visclings?”

space“The world is growing, Kas. More viscets are being born with stronger and stronger magic abilities. For Libra, the guardians are already enough of a problem. He has already had a viscet try to play vigilante. Her magic was strong enough to wipe out a mass of his army before he sent one of Soma’s apprentices out to kill her. That threat shook him and he released a decree that any viscling born with magic would be kidnapped.”

space“So, what is June’s?”

spaceSamuel hesitated for a moment, then spoke. “She can heal. Originally it was only minor things like scrapes and scratches, but it seems to have gotten stronger with experience.”

spaceKas frowned. “So he kidnapped visclings with powers as weak as healing scrapes?” Samuel nodded slowly. “Is that why you took her, then? You felt bad because she was so weak yet had been stolen anyway?”

spaceSamuel frowned. “Only partially. I got to meet each viscling in an interview to determine their personality and response to authority. June stood out from the rest. Despite this place and how the teachers and guards treated her, she still held a hopeful and bright happiness. . . an innocence. She stood out to me from the rest and all at once, I didn’t want her to be corrupted.”

space“So you have a fatherly spirit?”

spaceSamuel gazed at her firmly. “I wouldn’t say that. I talked with my friend and she admitted to having doubts about Libra as well after seeing June. We took her and fled two nights after.”

space“Wow. That’s a pretty fast transition. You said you worked directly under him? I’ve heard tales that only those he truly trusts are allowed near him.”

spaceSamuel shrugged. “He raised me alongside his son, so it made sense that he would trust me.”

spaceHer eyes widened and she dipped her head towards him. “You were raised by him? So, you were able to turn on the one who raised you just like that?”

spaceSamuel frowned. “It’s not exactly like that. Life with Libra and Soma was one of competition. Back then, I dreamed of having Soma’s position. I wanted to lead his army, to make him proud. But the feeling that this was wrong had been present and ever nagging since I was a child. My parents both died before me and that was the true awakening. This “betrayal” had been in waiting for many years.”

spaceKas nodded slowly. “So, was that betrayal why you were sealed?”

spaceSamuel nodded. “They knew my powers and what kind of threat I could be. Soma sealed me from afar the instant they realized what we had done.” Slowly, his paw drifted to his side again. Kas leaned over, glancing at the rabbit marking.

space“Is that the seal? The rabbits on your sides?”

space“Yes.”

spaceShe frowned and tilted he head. “It’s strange, I’ve never seen one take the form of an animal before. Would you happen to know why?”

spaceSamuel’s expression darkened. “You ask a lot of questions.”

space“Ah, I’m sorry. I just wanted to get a better understanding of your situation, so I can help you protect the girl better.”

spaceSamuel’s expression slowly softened and he twisted to face her. “Kas.”

space“Huh?”

space“June seems to have taken a liking to you.”

space“Oh, yes.” She smiled at the viscling and stroked her mane softly as June snored once more. “She’s truly a sweet child, brilliant too. She learns very quickly and thinks highly of you.”

spaceSamuel nodded slowly, his frown deepening. “I’ve been thinking a lot.” He turned his body completely to face her, his eyes drifting to the fire.

space“I’ve noticed.”

space“Kas. . . I don’t think I can continue on with this journey.” Kas raised her head and tilted it, shocked and confused. “I can only harden my paws, and even that isn’t always enough. I can’t do anything to protect her. If it weren’t for you, she would have died by Takaeo. Besides, Libra’s rage is directed towards me. They don’t know about you. If I travel elsewhere, Libra’s goons should follow, thinking I have June. It would buy you two time.”

spaceKas frowned. “Sam. . . You can’t be thinking of leaving her.”

spaceSamuel frowned and shook his head. “We started this journey promising we would all make it over the mountain and to the East. We lost one to my own selfish actions. It was my fault that she turned on us, and it was my paws that killed her. I do not want June to fall because of my poor choices as well. This whole journey. . . I’ve gotten so wrapped up in myself, in wanting to see the East as well that I forgot why we left. It’s about June. All of this is for June, and if I die so she can experience freedom from fear and from tyranny, then so be it.”

spaceHis eyes lifted and met hers, a new determined fire in them. “Take her up and over the mountain and to safety. As you do I will travel back to bring his soldiers from you and give you time and safety. Make sure she makes it there and that she finds a new home. This is all I ask of you.”

spaceKas nodded slowly, taking everything in. “Are you sure she would be okay with this?”

space“I have no doubt in my mind that she would be enraged if she heard what I said here.”

spaceKas chuckled softly and looked down at the viscling. “Well. . . I will do it, Sam. I’ll keep her safe and take her to the East.” Samuel nodded and stood slowly looking off to the West where the storm of black sand raged. He began walking away, leaving June with Kas, when Kas’s voice made him pause. “What I said still stands, Sam. You truly have a fatherly heart.” Sam hesitated, then pressed on without a word, leaving Kas and June behind as he returned to the West.
Last edited by Hail. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hail.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me