fantasy writing comp 2018

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: fantasy writing comp 2018

Postby neferp1tou » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm

up
neferp1tou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby turpitude. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 am

Joining Form
      Username: turpitude, but feel free to call me t or turp.
      Pronouns: they or them, if you don't mind.
      Favorite writing theme, fantasy, futuristic, realistic, etc: anything is fine by me, but I do struggle with sci-fy. I mainly do fantasy though because it is a personal favourite, but I also love to write thrillers.
      experience as a writer: experience? ha, I have no clue. I've been writing for a few years, but that doesn't really mean I'm good at it, y'know? I think I've been writing for at least five or six years, but sometimes my writing is teeerrrriiibbbllleee. I mostly just roleplay because I am way too lazy to attempt to write a book or anything like that. anyways, I'd say I am decent depending on my mood and the prompt.
      other: please be gentle with me, I am just a poor soul who stays in bed all day cuddling my cat to death.
      turpitude.

My pets
      My items
      My wishlist
      My gallery
      My scenes
      My dressups
      Trade with me

Postby neferp1tou » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:01 pm

accepted !
      neferp1tou

My pets
      My items
      My wishlist
      My gallery
      My scenes
      My dressups
      Trade with me

Postby watts » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Joining Form
      Username: naomi !
      Pronouns: she/her
      Favorite writing theme, fantasy, futuristic, realistic, etc: i really like everything, but realistic is what i usually stick to!
      experience as a writer: ah i've been writing for... forever, really. i've loved to write ever since i was little, but i love poetry the most.
      other:

rpnt watts ; polyfrag DID system

it/they

apex legends || icon (c) tinivy @ tumblr
      watts

My pets
      My items
      My wishlist
      My gallery
      My scenes
      My dressups
      Trade with me

[ first comp ]

Postby turpitude. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 pm

fantasy Comp 1.
          username: turpitude.
          word count: 879 words, phew.
          other: lotta run on sentences here.

Anthea gasped for breath, a difficult feat at the moment, but wouldn’t you also be struggling for breath if you had been running through the forest too? Stumbling over roots that seemed keened on tripping her and dodging overgrown weeds that clawed at her flesh; it was an accomplishment that her lungs hadn’t exploded, but if she kept going, they would surely do so soon. She didn’t know how long she had been running, but it was long enough. Pain shot up her calves every step she took, nearly paralyzing her, and the side of her ribs felt like they were squeezing her to death, if they didn’t get her first, then her own treacherous body would do her in. Wheezing, the air she breathed in felt like it scorched her throat, burning all the way down to her racing heart.

She couldn’t run anymore, every step was torture. Those things that were chasing her weren’t as terrible as this, maybe, if she stopped now and surrendered, her punishment for escaping wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe if she begged for forgiveness on her hands and knees it wouldn’t be so terrible. Just as Anthea began to slow down, sweat and tears staining her cheeks, she saw it. Just a fair-bit away there was light flooding through the trees. Light. Anthea choked on a sob that echoed through the silent forest before she could stop it from escaping her chapped lips, dried from the lack of water. When was the last time Anthea had seen light? How many years had it been since the warmth of the sun caressed her topaz cheeks, making them flushed with joy, nothing like the dull ashen colour they now were? Too long, but she still remembered the last time her mahogany brown eyes landed on the yellow orb in the sky, it was the day she went against her Nan’s most important rule; never step foot into the forest at night.

It seemed kind of foolish at the time, mostly due to the reasoning behind her logic, so Anthea never took it seriously. Not until she crossed the shadowy threshold barefoot and in nothing but her floral nightgown, stained yellow by age. That night was her biggest regret. That night they took her. Fooling her with promises of eternity and magic, anything as long as she would bite into the pomegranate. What they purposely failed to mention was the dark truth of their words; Anthea would live forever, but she'd live it underground, never to breathe in fresh air again, nor see the sunlight and her family. Away from the laws of her kind and at the mercy of theirs. By taking a bite out of the devil's fruit, she unknowingly sealed her fate, allowing the creatures to drag her into their realm. Their words had been like honey, sweet and sugary, but chokingly so. At the time it had made Anthea's mind feel fuzzy like she was in a dream, but the time spent in their midsts had taught the girl that it was magic that made their voices so hypnotic. It masked the lack of emotions they spoke with, it was used so that children such as Anthea, wouldn't realize they were standing before monsters. It worked to a fault.

Magic no longer worked on Anthea, she believed herself to be immune to it now. Growing up in the presence of it taught her how to tell reality from fiction; usually, when magic was in the air the area smelled nauseatingly sweet, often Anthea's teeth would hurt and her head throbbed as if someone was smashing a rock into her temple, but she didn't mind. As long as she didn't have to witness their true appearances, she would tolerate anything. Beneath the well-crafted mirages was skin as pale as a corpse's and eyes that put the night sky to shame. As dark as obsidian, sometime's Anthea pondered whether they were eyes or hollowed out sockets. And their teeth. Rows and rows of tiny thorn-like teeth, glistening white as bone whenever they smiled. Whoever had said faeries were lovely had obviously never truly known them. Not like Anthea did.

Mesmerized by the light, hope had consumed her mind so much that Anthea had failed to realize she had slipped on a rock until she felt her knees scraping against the dirt ground, her dream of making it back to the mortal realm escaping her like a bird. Once she was down she couldn't get up, her mind was catching up to her body and suddenly her arms felt as heavy as logs, and she felt so tired...so so so tired. Pressing her forehead onto the cold ground she tried to clear her mind, but that sweet smell made it impossible. Why was she even running in the first place? Her goal seemed too far away now and so pointless. Why did she try so hard to flee from a life many would kill for? Breathing in the earthy scent of the forest around her Anthea felt at peace, her eyelids slowly closing over her brown eyes. "No..." she croaked out in a voice barely audible as her thoughts became scrambled and she fell into a deep slumber that wasn't her own.
              Last edited by turpitude. on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
              turpitude.

My pets
              My items
              My wishlist
              My gallery
              My scenes
              My dressups
              Trade with me

Postby neferp1tou » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 pm

naomi ! wrote:
              Joining Form
              Username: naomi !
              Favorite writing theme, fantasy, futuristic, realistic, etc: i really like everything, but realistic is what i usually stick to!
              experience as a writer: ah i've been writing for... forever, really. i've loved to write ever since i was little, but i love poetry the most.
              other:

accepted !
              neferp1tou

My pets
              My items
              My wishlist
              My gallery
              My scenes
              My dressups
              Trade with me

Postby vaermina » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Joining Form
              Username: babyblue.
              Favorite writing theme, fantasy, futuristic, realistic, etc: fantasy all the way! i also like sci-fi quite a bit.
              Experience as a writer: i've been writing for about five years maybe? although i only really started to write
              literate in late 2015, and a lot of my newer writing is on different sites as i only just returned to cs. i'm also
              currently working on a book myself and striving for a career in journalism.
              other: ahh this is such a neat idea! also totally open to any constructive criticism on my entries, too. ^^
              vaermina

My pets
              My items
              My wishlist
              My gallery
              My scenes
              My dressups
              Trade with me

Postby neferp1tou » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 pm

accepted !
              thank you <3