fantasy writing comp 2018

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: fantasy writing comp 2018

Postby neferp1tou » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:34 pm

up
neferp1tou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BigWolf643 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 am

Fantasy Comp 1.
Username: bigwolf643
Word Count: 856
Other: ive been in a writing funk lately, but i still like this.
Entry:

It’s cold. It’s very cold. That should go without saying, since it’s winter and the two of them are only wearing light jackets, but still. Iris feels the need to point it out, even if it’s just to herself in her mind.

“Crys?” she asks, tugging on the sleeve of her older friend, “Are you sure you know where we’re going?”

“Yes, Iris,” Crys snaps, yanking her arm free, “I told you already. I know these woods like the back of my hand.”

“It’s just…” Iris trails off as Crys glares back at her. She stuffs her hands in the pocket of her jacket. “It’s nothing,” Iris mutters. Crys makes a pleased little huff sound, and Iris resists the urge to smack her.

“That’s right,” Crys says, “When have I ever steered you wrong?”

“Never,” Iris says with a sigh, thinking back to all the times Crys has almost gotten the two of them in trouble, only to pull them out of it after the last moment. She steers them wrong on a daily basis, just never wrong enough for it to count.

There’s a snap from behind them. Iris whirls around, squinting to try and see through the shadows of trees. Crys takes her hand and narrows her eyes.

“Hello?” the older girl calls, wind swallowing her words as she speaks, “Is anyone there?”

The wind howls a response. Iris presses closer to Crys, and digs her nails into her hand.

“Nobody?” Crys yells, “Nobody’s there?”

Iris blinks as freezing wind blows into her eyes, and then, where there was nothing, there’s something. It’s red and orange, flickering and shifting. It’s tall and casts a moving shadow on the nearby trees.

“What the…” Crys says, rubbing her eyes, “What are you?”

The figure steps forward, and Iris manages to get a good look at it. It looks like a deer, though instead of fur and flesh, it’s made of fire. Its hooves scorch the leaves, burn the brittle grass beneath it, and its eyes glow a fierce yellow.

“There’s not a word for it in your language,” the fire-creature says with a voice of crackling flame, “Burning-rot. That is my name, in a form you can pronounce. I’m here to lead you out before it’s too late.”

“We were lost!” Iris says, grinning at Crys, “Even you aren’t perfect, huh?”

“Shut up,” Crys mutters, but she offers Iris a small smile before turning back to Burning-rot. “Before it’s too late? What do you mean by that?”

Burning-rot shifts, and their hooves send up small flames. Their tail twitches behind her, and Iris can almost see the fallen leaves flinch away. “You are already in the confines of the forest, but it has not yet claimed you. There is still a chance for your freedom.”

“It? Claims?” Iris asks. The fire-deer huffs and flicks their head.

“I’ll tell you on the way,” Burning-rot says, turning to lead them out of the forest, “Hurry up. Do you want to be trapped here forever?”

Iris shakes her head as Crys follows after the creature, dragging Iris behind her. Where the fire-deer walks, the leaves jump and twitch away. Burning-rot seems to take care to set as many of them on fire as they can. The fire is warm, but when Iris feels it lick her ankles, it only tickles, never burns.

“The forest,” Burning-rot says before Crys can open her mouth to ask a question, “Is a living, breathing creature. It bleeds sap and rot, it sees through roots and vines. Deep, deep in its borders, hidden in thick brush, is the heart, a mess of roots and wood that keeps the veil between forest and not-forest alive. If you stay in the forest for too long, it will claim you as its own, and the only way to leave is to kill the heart.”

“So…nobody has ever escaped?” Crys asks. Burning-rot lets out a harsh, hacking laugh.

“I never said that,” the deer says, “Many have escaped. Many have killed the heart. But forests are never truly destroyed. They always grow back.”

“Are all forests like this?” Iris asks. Burning-rot shakes their head and their tail sets a pile of branches alight.

“No. But stay in the forest for too long, and you will find the veil. It’s only a matter of crossing over.”

Burning-rot stops. Through the trees, Iris can make out the distance streetlights of their town.

“That’s…home,” Crys says, “It shouldn’t be this quick of a walk.”

“I am a creature of the forest, and the forest fears me,” Burning-rot says with a proud snort, “I can manipulate its paths.”

Iris is the first one to step towards their town’s lights, Crys behind her. “You…thank you,” Crys says. Burning-rot dips their head.

“I am only doing my job,” the deer says, before a strong gust of wind knocks the both of them over. When the two girls are done blinking cold out of their eyes, Burning-rot is gone.

They don’t ask questions. They scurry home, tripping over roots they aren’t sure were there before, and vow to never set foot in that forest again.
R.I.P Peppermint. April 2010-July 3, 2014
You will always be remembered, as a loving, caring best friend, who died too young

ImageImage
BigWolf643

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kalo. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 am

joining form
username: galaxy.tiger
pronouns: she/her
favorite writing theme: realistic but I like my fantasy <:
experience as a writer: I only ever write for fun, but i've spent years writing short stories on my laptop. i've gotten told by teachers I should take a creative writing class but I haven't gotten around to it. I got into role-playing when I joined cs and since then i've improved a ton. I tend to write a lot since I read a lot-and that mostly deals with fanfics or short stories inspired by the book.
other: not sure if this has been answered but are we allowed to do both prompts? or only one prompt only?
kalo • she/her • est
kalo.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby neferp1tou » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Both accepted, you can do as many prompts as you'd like.
neferp1tou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby actmissing999 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am

bump <3
end date for comp.1 is approaching! make sure to get your entries in! i’ve seen some interesting entries so far and i’m super excited >u<
ashton ; he/she
i no longer use chicken smoothie but i'd love to talk!
you can find my current info here

actmissing999

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kalo. » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am

fantasy comp 1
username: galaxy.tiger
word count: 1141
other: just so you know rylan is my character and pine is my friends who gave me permission to write this! and i'm so sorry it's as long as it is! I tend to get carried away, especially with these two characters.
entry:

The forest was unnaturally peaceful. Nothing stirred except the occasional bird fluttering about. It was odd, a place so peaceful was surrounded by chaos. Outside the northern part of the forest lay a dragon. It’s eyes were wells, deep, dark, and soulless, trapping those who looked in them forever. It’s wings were those of a sailboat-stretched large enough to trap those under them. It’s teeth mimicked a sharks and it’s talon those of an owl.

It wasn’t uncommon for the dragon to engage in battle but often those who fight it suffer. They leave with missing limbs, severe burns, and sometimes they don’t even get to leave. But there are those who are lucky.

A flock of birds flew up into the air at the sound of footsteps running through the forest. Nymphs fled the scene and into the protection of their homes-not wanting to get trampled by the duo. The forest stirred when a large roar could be heard, the creatures and plants retreating away from the noise as if it were poison.

The males kept running. The smaller male had his arm wrapped around the larger and more muscular male, keeping him steady as they ran through the forest. A large gash could be seen on his left side, a present from the dragon. As if on cue the dragon flew over the forest, it’s wings flapping and creating an echo through the lifeless forest.

It wasn’t until the two were leaning against a fallen pine tree did they realize what had just happened.

“I-I think we're safe,” the younger male breathed out, setting the large male against a large tree that had fallen over. He ran his light hand through the tangle of sweat soaked locks-the once forest green color stained a dark emerald.

The larger male quickled shrugged his armor off, the metal rolling off his body and onto the damp forest floor. He let out a hiss of pain as he removed his chest piece, trying his best to avoid hitting the wound.

“Rylan. You’re hurt, let me help you,” Pine let out a weak smile, removing his bag and opening it up. Inside sat a bundle of potions, scrolls, and ingredients.

“Pine, i’m.. im fine.” The dark haired male winced, his hand flying to the giant gash that resigned on his left side. “Just-Just a scratch.” He let out a weak smile the corners of his lips faltering.

“Rylan don't give me that crap. You're practically bleeding to death!” The mages face was full of concern masked by anger. This wasn’t going to be up for debate-he was going to help Rylan.

Pine’s reaction tied in with that of the forest-the breeze dulled down to a faint lick and all the remaining creatures out stopped in their tracks. Watching. It was just as if nothing had interrupted the nature rhythm. Even some of the nymphs made their way out of their homes, their wings fluttering in awe at the two.

“No.” Rylan’s voice was firm, his dark eyes digging into the others. “Remember what happened last time you did this? I don’t think so.” The thought of Pine repeating the process on Rylan had him worried. It wasn’t uncommon for Pine to put his needs before his own-and that caused some serious issues when performing the spell.

Pine kept his eyes on Rylan trying to figure out what the male was thinking. “Last time-”

“No.”

Pine let out a frustrated groan, putting his head in his hands. “I don't understand you! I'm trying to help you!” The male removed his gloves as if he was going to continue with his plan. His hands were stained a faint red, scars running up and down, flowing naturally against his skin.

“Pine!” Rylan yelled wincing in pain, “I don't want you to be in pain. I've had worse injuries. I can't survive this. Don't worry.” Rylan straightened himself up, wincing at the pressure on his side. “Just let me be.” Rylan finished his eyes flickering down, not able to look at Pine.

The look Rylan gave Pine caused him to tremble. Rylan had done so much for him. He saved him when his boat had crashed on his way here. He helped him find his lost friend, even help that friend find a siren! There was nothing he wouldn’t do for him. It was heartbreaking. Rylan would do anything for Pine and yet he almost always got nothing in return.That's why he had to do this. He had to help Rylan. He wasn't going to survive this injury for much longer. The blood loss was too much for his body to handle.

Pines hands flew onto the edges of Rylan's gash, causing Rylan to erupt in a scream of pain. The younger male closed his eyes. Almost instantly his hands started to glow a warm orange, wrapping around and into Rylan's skin. Rylan lifted his right hand and gripped onto Pines shoulder, nails digging into the exposed skin there.

“P-Pine. Please stop.” Rylan let out another yell, arching his back as the orange wisp flew into his wound. “Do..Don't” he trembled, watching as Pine kept his eyes closed. His face was like stone. He was concentrating. Ignoring him.

Sweat started to form on Pines forehead his hair grouping together as it clung to it. His jaw tensed when a bright light erupted from his hands. It was blinding, so bright that Rylan removed his hand from Pine and covered his eyes.

It felt like ages until the light died down-and Rylan instantly knew something was wrong. Pines hands weren't on his side. Rylan flew up, forgetting the gash on his side that was halfway sewn together.

“Pine!”

The male was laying against the ground, his hands scarred an ugly flesh color. The scars ran down his forearms like a river, snaking here and there. They stopped just before his elbows, fading into the natural color of his skin. His eyes were shut, lip trembling from the impact.

Rylan kneeled next to him, wrapping his muscular arms around him. “Pine-Pine! You’re going to be okay! Listen, just…” Rylan couldn’t finish, he lost his voice as the tears started to spill. His voice choked up and lost its way.

“Are you.. crying?” Pine winced at the effort it took to speak out, his lips forming a dull smile as he did so.

Rylan let out a pained cry and pulled him closer to him-his body shaking with cries of joy.

“You idiot,” he started, looking into Pine's eyes, “I love you.”

Pine let out a laugh wrapping his arms around Rylan and resting his head on his shoulder. He too began to cry, the thought of leaving Rylan dawning on him. The two sat there, crying onto each other until Pine broke the silence.

“I love you too.”
kalo.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kyti » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Joining Form
Username: Kyti
Pronouns: She/Her
Favorite writing theme: Fantasy, and a little modern from time to time
experience as a writer: I've mostly just written for fun, ever since I was really young. More recently, I've tried my hand in roleplays. But I have done Nanowrimo for several years as well.
other:I don't know if y'all covered this, but is there a length limit for these prompts?
Kyti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby neferp1tou » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm

the contest will specify if there is a limit on words.

comp 1 closed for judging !!
neferp1tou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Good luck on the comp everyone!

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [ first comp ]

Postby neferp1tou » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 pm

okay.. the following entries have been judged by spectro and I, so... good luck!

3rd place is....... *drum roll*
galaxy.tiger !!
this piece of writing painted an image in my mind with every written word. the descriptive words were at a nice level vocabulary-wise and the sentences had a way of elegance in the way they were written. the descriptions aren’t repeated too often and the characters rylan and pine are unique on their own and do well together. some nitpicks i had were some odd phrasings (setting the large male) that weren’t formed as well as the others, and some descriptions that were repeated (large male) not too often but more than i’d have thought was necessary. of course, this is just my opinion- overall, your writing was well-made and thought out, and i know you can improve over time to make it even better.
- oliver

2nd is..........
drum roll...
BigWolf643!!
I loved the concept, and the characters. The words were very interesting, unique, and they flowed very nicely together ! thank you for entering!
- beryl

and finally....
1st place goes to turpitude. !!!
this piece was honestly stunning. i loved the characters, the plot, and overall everything. congrats !!-beryl

your prizes will be sent shortly <3
thanks for entering !
neferp1tou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me