2017 Advent Challenge

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Should I do this again next year?

Yes! I like reading these.
94%
No, you don't spend enough time on them
6%

Total votes : 31

Re: 2017 Advent Challenge

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 am

Forest

Martin collapsed onto the couch and pulled his hat down over his face with a sigh.
"It's nice to have a day were we don't have to do anything, isn't."
"Mm-hm," Lily sat down on his feet "Y'know...I've never been up to the forest."
Martin peeked cautiously out from under his hat "What?"

"The forest. Up north of the city."
"What about it."
"I've never been up there."
"So? Neither have I."
"What?" Her eyebrows jumped up "And you've lived here how long?"
"You know it makes me uncomfortable being so far away from the water."
"It literally isn't any more than five miles away from the ocean."
"Which is four miles too many."
"Oh, c'mon," she tugged on his foot "let's have a picnic."
"Picnic? Lily...it's cold outside!"
"Picnic in the snow!"
"Let's not."

But Lily had bounced off the couch and dashed into the kitchen "You get the basket! I'll get the food together."
"But Lily-" Martin sighed as he realised that it was hopeless to argue with her "At least put on a coat and pants."

"Okay, we're here," Martin panted as they reached the edge of the white clad forest "Where do you want to spread the blanket out?"
He turned in a full circle "Lily? Where'd you go?"
"Come on!" For a moment the brown of her fur and the green of her coat flickered between the trees "Let's go in deeper!"
"Really?"
But she was already dashing away, leaving deep imprints in the snow behind her, calling over her shoulder with a laugh "Hurry up!"

Shaking his head, but smiling, he stomped after her, dragging up snow over the tops of his boots.

"How about here?" He called as he came into a small clearing that Lily had sprinted through without a second glance "Lily?"
"Yeah!"

He jumped as he heard her voice above his head and he looked upwards "What are you doing up there?!"
She waved at him from the lowest branch of a near tree "Come on up here!"
"You want to have our picnic in a tree!?"
"Yeah!"
He stepped closer, craning his neck back further "How am I suppose to get up there?"
"Don't tell me you can't climb a tree when you spend half your time going up and down masts on ships."
"With the basket! How am I supposed to get up there with the basket!?"
"Throw the basket! I'll catch it!"
"I can't throw it that far!"
"Throw it like you mean it!"
He opened the basket and glanced into it "There isn't anything in here that'll break when it hits the ground is there?"
"Um... Just throw it."
He rolled his eyes, then flung the basket up as hard as he could. Even as it left his grip he could tell that it wasn't going to make it up to her.
As the basket reached the highest part of its arch, Lily hooked her leg over the branch, dropped her body over the edge, snatched the basket out of the air, and with a twist, returned to her sitting position on the branch.
"Got it!"
"Yeah, yeah," he muttered as he began climbing "Show off."
"Oh, is the clumsy sea captain jealous?" she laughed, grabbing his wrist and pulling him up to the branch "Here, this should make you feel better."
He tore off half the slice of cake with one bit and chewed it in vehement silence.
"I've never had a picnic in a tree," she said, nibbling at a her own slice of cake "It's nice. Look at all the trees."
"I hate trees," he said, swallowing "Can't see for acorns because of them."
"Your ship and your house are made out of trees!"
"Yeah," he snatched a handful of candied nuts out of the baskets and began crunching on them "Doesn't mean I want to eat lunch in one of them and tramp around for hours through them."
"Y'know I'm pretty sure it's not normal to be this prejudiced against trees."
"I'm not prejudiced, I just don't like them."
"That's not normal either," she plucked a couple of nuts out of his hand "Why?"
"I don't know, I just don't. Why do you like them?"
"Because!" She spread her arms out "Trees!"
"O-okay, that's not normal either."
She giggled "I like this forest, I want to explore it."
"You'll get lost."
"I know!" she continued as if she hadn't heard him "We should go on a camping trip."
"You can go when its warmer. By yourself."
"Aww, you don't want to come?"
"Not in the slightest."
"But we could play hide and seek in the trees!"
"Again, that is another wonderful way to get lost."
"Spoiler sport. I'll just have to get Darkmoon and Shyshie to come with me."
"Oh yes, capital idea, take the young selkie camping."
"Fine. You stay home with her and I'll drag Darkmoon out here."
"Okay, sounds good."
She edged closer to him, leaning her head on his shoulder "Aw, but I want you to come with me."
"I don't like it out here."
"I can teach you."
"No you can't.
"Yes I can."
"Lily, I don't like the forest."
"You will when I'm done with you," she grinned up at him mischievously.
"Why does that really scare me."
"Oh, don't worry, it won't hurt...too much."
He shook his head and reached for more nuts "No."
"What? You've could come out here and paint!"
"No."
"But...pretty trees!"
He sighed "Maybe. Just to paint."
"Yay!"

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:00 am

Wait whaaaat
Vrell and Jade?
Gosh, a lot has changed XD

How old are Lily and Martin? o,o
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 am

VrellxJade XD.

In that particular scene? Umm...Martin's about twenty four and Lily's twenty two, but she a acts like a nutty kid.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:21 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:VrellxJade XD.

In that particular scene? Umm...Martin's about twenty four and Lily's twenty two, but she a acts like a nutty kid.
XD

Ahh, okay. She really does XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Long walk

The long silence grated between them as they walked side by side down the path through the dark trees, trodding down the snow beneath their feet, the wolf bearing the long staff with a lamp dangling on the end trailing a respectful distance behind.

Finally Tigretta paused, pulling her robes closer to her arms.
"Well, are we going to talk, or are we going keep walking and pretend that there isn't anything to speak about?"
Orchid jewel continued walking.
"Orchid, come back here."
Orchid sighed and stopped, her fingers tightening into a fist, then slowly pivoted around and returned to her mother's side.
"I don't see that there's much to speak of," She said through gritted teeth, staring her mother down in the eye "She should not be permitted to marry that...scum!"
Tigretta's eyes narrowed "Is that your official opinion on the matter?"
"Opinion, Mother? It is truth! How can you think otherwise?"
Tigretta tilted her head and continued walking, Orchid followed, and the lamp bearer sighed.

"The reason I consider any alternative is because Jade is considering marrying him."
"She's emotionally compromised! He tried to kill her!"
"He tried to capture her and held Jasmine captive."
"Mother!" Orchid jewel stopped abruptly and flung her arms out in frustration, nearly hitting the startled lampbearer "Listen to yourself! He held your daughter captive!"
"I am highly aware of that fact," Tigretta continued walking.
"Mother!"
The wolf paused, uncertain whether to stay with the princess or follow the empress. After a second, she stepped around Orchid jewel and continued following the empress.
"Mother!"

Huffing in frustration Orchid jewel began walking again and passed the wolf "Mother, what has Father said about this?"
"He does not know."
Orchid jewel made a choking noise and stopped, this time the wolf was prepared and sidestepped her easily.
"And he is not going to know, not from us at least."
"You're not going to tell him that his daughter is intending to marry the son of the person who tried to murder his daughter!?"
There was a slight cough from the wolf.
"No. No I am not. That is her news."
"Her news!? She needs help, not news, she's gone blind!"

There was another slight cough from the wolf.

"Perhaps," Tigretta turned the corner and they came to the last stretch of the path, ahead of them an archway led back into the garden, lit with golden lanterns "Or maybe she sees something the rest of us can't."
"I...cannot believe that you are defending him! He is a disgusting creature! He doesn't love her, he's using her! He's obsessed with the throne! He wouldn't just 'change' like she says!"

There was another slight cough from the-

"Do you have something to say, wolf?" Empress Tigretta turned, at the step of the arch.
The wolf bowed her head, concentrating on the ground.
Orchid turned as well, frowning as she recognized the red marks of paint beneath the wolf's eyes "You know my sister, do you not... Soong?"

Rin lifted her head, but did not make eye contact with either of them.
"Yes, Princess Orchid jewel, I have known Jade for a very long time. I have known her long enough to know how much she despises being lied to."
"Then how on earth could she even bare to claim to love that... slug."
"I have known Jade long enough to know that she is capable of forgiveness, but not blindness. Never blindness," Rin looked up slowly and met Orchid's eyes "Whatever she is doing, she is doing it for a reason, love or something else, Jade is emotional, but not blind."
"Well," Tigretta said with a sharp nod "At least someone who actually knows Jade has a balanced opinion."
"You value her thoughts over mine!?"
"No," Tigretta stepped up and passed through the archway "I trust her opinion about the person she has known for years, the person-" Tigretta's voice caught with the softest hint of restrained emotion "we barely know... Come on Orchid, that was a long walk, go get something to drink. You are dismissed Soong."
The Empress swept away down the walkway, but neither Orchid or Rin moved until she disappeared.
Then Orchid looked at the wolf and Rin noticed a look she had seen many times, but never in the Princess's cold blue eyes.
Concern, deep concern.
"She's going to get herself hurt."
Rin tipped her ears back, inviting Orchid to continue.
"She is. She doesn't understand the intricacies of politics, she doesn't understand that-"
"Yes she does."
Orchid blinked "What?"
"Not politics specifically, but the realm of ruling a country is not so different than surviving war. Jade understands. Now, Princess, if you'll pardon me, it was a long walk and my arms are tired."
Orchid watched as the wolf disappeared into the darkness, following the wall down towards the servants quarters.
"I'm not going to let her hurt herself," Orchid jewel said quietly to the nothingness they left around her "I won't let him hurt my sister."

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Ooh, things is jist got innerwesting c;<
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:28 am

Winter

Lionel awoke to a pair of tiny dull eyes staring into his.
"Hello Adrian," he said, propping himself up on his elbows and scooping up the little snake "Good morning."
"It's cold," he replied solemnly "Why?"
"Oh, probably because it's becoming winter," Lionel cupped his palm against Adrian's head "Are you not feeling well?"
"No," Adrian twined himself between Lionel's fingers and looked up at the otter "What is winter?"
"Oh," Lionel paused to think "Um, winter is when everything gets cold."
"What!?" Adrian tightened his body around Lionel's fingers in distress "No! I don't like that! Whhhhyyy?"
"I don't know why," Lionel caressed Adrian's head with the tip of his finger, attempting to sooth him "Maybe because the lands needs a rest from all the farming and growing plants."
"But I don't like it!" Adrian insisted "Don't let it happen!"
"I can't control it," Lionel slipped out of his bed, carefully holding Adrian "Sorry."
"But cold makes me so sleepy!"
"I know," Lionel let the little snake slip from his hand onto the window sill "That's because you're a reptile."

Adrian turned to view his scaly string of a body in surprise "A what?"
Lionel paused in pulling out a fresh tunic from the drawer "A reptile. A creature with scales and a forked tongue that doesn't like the cold. You."
"So Freeta's a reptile too?"
Lionel laughed as he pulled his nightclothes over his head "No, she's not. She just doesn't like the cold."

"Oh," Adrian's voice held obvious disappointment "Is Avery a reptile?"
"Adrian," Lionel gave him a sympathetic look "Does she have scales?"
Adrian looked down "No."
"Does she have a forked tongue?"
"No. What she then?"
"A bird, with feathers and wings and a beak."
"Does winter make birds sleepy?"
"No."
"Oh," Adrian curled up on himself "Am I the only reptile?"
"No, there are others."
"Like where?"
"I don't know," Lionel tugged on the edge of his tunic, straightening the crumples "Probably hiding somewhere warm for the winter."
"Are you a bird or a reptile?"
"Neither, I'm a mammal."
Adrian stared at him hard for several long seconds.
"It's hard, I know," Lionel held out the tip of his stick and Adrian would himself around it "Ready for breakfast?"

"Adrian! Adrian! Adrian!" There was a scuffle of feathers and fluff outside the kitchen as the eagle chick stumbled in, her tiny wings flapping "It was cold this morning!"
"Yeah, I know," Adrian slipped down off the counter "That's because it's becoming winter."
"What's winter?" She tilted her head to the side, blinking.
"It's when everything gets cold and the trees go to sleep and reptiles hide."
"What's a reptile?"

Lionel smiled to himself as he watched the pair wander off, Adrian imparting everything Lionel had told him earlier to his friend, albeit in a rather imaginative form, telling her all about winter and reptiles and birds.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Snow

Like frozen tears falling
Like gentle kisses from the sky
Like cold fingertips pressed against my cheek
The snow comes down
Silent white rain
To cover up the bare ground
And wrap the world in its blinding innocence

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Congraaatulations!! Baby Avery and Adrian are adorable, and your poem is really pretty and picturesque <3
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am

Thank you! I had so much fun with this challenge XD

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me