Tail one/first life - It Began With an Ending

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Tail one/first life - It Began With an Ending

Postby SilverSamurai » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 am

I always knew there was more to life than what it seems. Such simple concepts, yet they are woven into complex beings that are seemingly impossible to grasp fully. I knew such at a young age, and was intrigued by what life has to offer.

Reality, in my eyes, is a much different concept than I would have thought. I was born with the gift of Sight; an ability to briefly see into the future at seemingly random times. Sometimes it comes as a surprise, usually it is helpful, but on occasion it feels like more of a burden than a gift.

To begin my story, I’ll have to go back to the beginning. The very beginning.

<< back to form

Notable characters;;

Ari (male) - Saki (female) - Lilith (gender neutral) - Chronos (male) - Hikaru (female)
Last edited by SilverSamurai on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 am, edited 12 times in total.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Kindling the Flames

Postby SilverSamurai » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Bright, burning light blinded my vision, and I jumped from my makeshift bed, eyes wide. The small clearing was quiet, illuminated by the pale moonlight filtering in from the tall tree tops above. A chill went down my spine.

I looked around, my heartbeat still thumping in my ears. Scanning the underbrush, nothing caught my eye as unusual. Soft, sleeping bodies warmed the chill fall air, occasional snoring breaking the silence of the night.

“Saki” I murmured, poking at the body next to me. “Are you asleep?” The other growled a low response, “I would be if you would let me.” She sat up slowly, eyes opening in a tired squint. I tilted my head and whispered my question, “Did you see anything?” Saki sighed and shook her head, “No, Ari, I don’t have that Sight. I’ve told ‘ya that before.” I grew anxious, paws shifting under me in a rocking motion. “But maybe-“ “No, go back to sleep Ari. We’ll talk in the morning.” Her response was sharp, and she laid back down in her nest. I cautiously watched her breathing slow into sleep, until I laid back down to do the same.

That’s what I hoped for at least, but every time I had that Sight, it filled my mind with questions. Why was I the only one chosen to see this? Was it light? Fire?
After what seemed like a lifetime, sleep overtook my thoughts.

I awoke to the glowing morning light streaking in through the treetops. I blinked a few times and stumbled to my feet, stretching and yawning, not ready to start a new day quite yet. I glanced around, but I was alone. Seems I had overslept yet again. Oh well.

Making my way into the main clearing, I scanned the Viscets for the familiar body of my friend, but with no such luck. “Hey, Ari’s awake!” A voice called from across the clearing, followed by a few others. “It’s about time!” “I thought he was dead!” They laughed over their morning meal, and I paid it no mind. It was fairly common, after all.

“Gotcha!” I yelped as I was tackled to the ground before I could respond to the sudden sound. My back hit the ground as a small dust cloud stirred up, and I couldn’t fight the body that had pinned me to the ground. I stuck out my tongue in response. “Saki! Now my feathers are all dirty…”

The female above me puffed her chest and moved off of me, allowing me to get to my feet. “Your feathers are always a mess.” Was her simple response. I stood and shook the dust from myself as best as I could as she continued. “Wanna come hunting with me?” “Sure!”

The air was crisp; I could see my breath swirling out of my mouth with each breath. Winter was on its way. My ears twitched as I heard a twig snap near by, and I immediately began stalking the sound, Saki following closely behind. Before too long, A fawn was in sight, carelessly grazing on the edge of the woods. I sat in wait for the right moment, my legs twitching with anticipation. This is my chance!

But before I could charge, I was overcome with Sight once more. I felt my body collapse under me, and my eyes glazed over with a hazy vision. Fire. Hot flickering to no end. My body was numb and stiff, and when I finally came to, I could hear Saki’s voice loud in my ear, but her voice was filled with anger rather than concern.

“What happened, you could have had it!” The female growled as I readjusted to my surroundings. What did[/i] just happen?[/i] “I-I’m sorry, Saki-“ I started, but she cut me off, “Sorry doesn’t get our breakfast back! And to think…” Saki murmured to herself while starting to pace, and I got to my feet. They shook under my weight.

Maybe I should bring it up again… “Hey, Saki?” I offered, but it came out quieter than I had intended. I tried again. “Saki, can I ask you something?” She stopped pacing to look at me, her eyes softened when she heard the seriousness in my voice. “Yeah, I guess. Something bothering you?” She tilted her head. How do I say this….

“Do you see the fire too?” Hearing this, her eyes went wide and her eyes flattened as her head whipped around, looking for said threat. “Where-“ “No, no.” It was my turn to cut her off. “In a vision,” Her feathers visually flattened as I clarified my question, but still stood slightly on end. “Fire?” She sounded confused and not too concerned. “I haven’t seen such a thing in my visions, what do you think it means Ari?” I shook my head in frustration.

“I don’t know, but I don’t have a good feeling about it…” I sat back on my haunches as Saki seemed more concerned than ever. “Do you think we should tell-“ “No!” I responded so quickly that I startled the both of us. “No… It’s not a big deal. I’m probably just thinking too hard about this is all.” Saki didn’t look convinced. I stuck out my tongue. “I promise,”

She hesitated, but Saki eventually nodded. “Hey, and you know what?” I said in a lighter tone, getting to my feet, “I bet the fish are flying down by the river right now.” Her ears perked at my words, her voice doing nothing to hide her sudden burst of excitement. “You think so?” “Race you?” Saki didn’t respond, but rather darted in the direction of the river. I rolled my eyes and gave chase.
Last edited by SilverSamurai on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A Promise Broken

Postby SilverSamurai » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 am

Years past, and things change. But one thing that seems will never change is my friendship with Saki. Our childhood years flew by, and we were growing up in our own ways. Of course, our curiosity never died as we grew older, which got us in trouble more times than we can count, but no one ever got hurt. Ah, I guess no one ever got hurt in the end, except myself... Everything was fine, until...

“Ari, you’re crazy.” “I know that. Come on!” I reassured the female next to me, pushing forward through the underbrush. We both knew we shouldn’t be here or doing this, but our curiosity proved stronger than the Ender’s threats.

Saki hesitated when I stepped forward; her reply was a harsh whisper. “This area is forbidden!” I scoffed. “For what reason, though?” I was startled as Saki rushed forward to stand in my path, her eyes narrowed as she hissed, “Probably a good one, considering the measures the Elders are willing to take to prevent anyone from finding out!” I couldn’t hold back my smirk. “Doesn’t that make you want to know?” Saki flinched, but didn’t respond.

The air was stiff and heavy, rain threatening to fall at any moment. Just through the darkness of the underbrush, a light could be seen shining from the other side, though dim and hazy. It seemed to be a clearing of sorts, but one that we were warded away from at all costs. As night fell, Saki’s vision from the day before had given us the idea of sneaking out to discover its secret. Well, that’s how it was supposed to go.

I huffed, seeing she had no intention to back down. “Seriously, what’s gotten into you? Weren’t you the one to suggest this in the first place?” Her tail lashed as she became defensive, “It was, not… not now. I don’t want this…” She trailed off and couldn’t hold my gaze, and my feathers began to stand on end. “Saki?” A calm question that said more than it entitled. Her reply was quiet and rushed. “This isn’t right…” I took a step towards her in an attempt to comfort the female in front of me, but she took a step back. Her eyes widened and she froze up; a Sight.

I waited for my friend to come to, tilting my head and trying to peek behind her and into the forbidden clearing. She sighed, as she usually did as she came to, but her voice was rigid, laced with fear. “We have to leave…” I was confused. “Saki, what-“ She grabbed my hand and pulled me back in the direction of our camp. Her pace picked up until she was frantic, as if she had seen a ghost. “Why? What happened?” I spoke between heavy breaths, but received no answer.

Only when our camp came into view did Saki slow down. She stopped a few feet from the entrance and let go of my hand, huffing to catch her breath after the long run. I didn’t dare break the silence. I began brushing dirt from my feathers once more, until Saki spoke in her soft voice. “I… I’m sorry, Ari.” I smiled back at her, “Don’t be. Are you alright?” “Yeah… I guess.” She trailed off, but spoke once more, more firm this time.

“Promise me something?” I cocked my head and responded lightly. “Sure, what’s up?” She stayed silent for a moment, refusing to meet me gaze. After a few moments, she locked eyes with me and murmured lowly, “Don’t step foot in that clearing.” Her voice was laced with threat, and I wasn’t about to challenge her. I had no choice but to nod my head, though not understanding.

“Yeah, I promise.”

I awoke the next morning, still and cold. It had rained after we got back, and it chilled me to the very bone. My muscles screamed at me as I slowly got to my feet, but was quickly jolted awake. Saki isn’t here.

“Saki?” I waited for her reply, but the only one I received was a sharp hiss to be quiet. I moved into the larger clearing, where the clouds were ebbing away into early morning light. “Saki?” I called once more, but the air remained quiet with the exception of songbirds singing in the treetops. Glancing around, I approached an Elder who sat calmly on the far end of the clearing. “Have you seen Saki?” I asked, trying to hide the urgency in my voice.

The old Viscet was slow to respond, but he shook his head. “I have not. She’s probably out hunting.” That’s not right. She never hunts without me. “I’m going to go find her,” I offered, but the other Viscet spoke sharply against my words, “I’m sure she’s fine, Ari. She will be back in no time.” I held his gaze for a moment, but didn’t dare say anything else. This isn’t like her… She never leaves in the middle of the night. She hates mornings.

A chill went down my spine, and I couldn’t help but have a bad feeling about this. I need to know she’s alright, but everything in my mind was screaming danger.

I took a step back, and the Elder spoke up again. “Go get some more sleep, young one. You look like you need it.” I merely flicked my tail in response. Why would she just up and leave? And without saying to me about it? I thought over her actions from the past couple days, and I froze when I came to a realization.

She told me not to enter that clearing. She must have Seen something in that clearing last night… and went back for herself. Why wasn’t she back yet, if that was the case?

I thought over my options. I promised her I wouldn’t… After pacing for several minutes, I had made up my mind.

I’m sorry Saki, I’m going to have to break this promise…
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

In the Clearing

Postby SilverSamurai » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 am

I waited until most of the tribe was out hunting or gathering to make my move. I slipped out of the familiar clearing and set out along the forbidden path we had walked last night. The air was cold and stung my nose as I breathed.

I stopped once I was far enough from camp to not be noticed, not only to catch my breath but also to chance a Sight. I cleared my mind and focused, but was unable to trigger any kind of vision, which was… sort of alarming, but I paid it no mind. Usually I am able to See something; a passing deer, tonight’s sky, next weeks weather. Without any Sight to go off of, I pushed on.

It was quite a trek to the forbidden clearing. The sun now almost directly above, I caught sight of the familiar tangle of underbrush. The trees were denser here, and… looking up, I understood why. I couldn’t see it last night, but now I could see a massive willow tree in the center of the clearing, its branches hung high and wide, the leaves full and thick despite how late in the year it was.

As I approached the underbrush, I was overcome with an odd feeling. Fear? It made me freeze and rethink my actions.

Maybe I was just being too paranoid. She’s probably fine…

But what if she’s not?

That thought alone is what finally pushed me forward, and I struggled through the thick underbrush and into the unknown clearing.

Untangling myself from the branches and vines, I found myself in a… rather small clearing. I glanced around to take in my surroundings. As I had already gathered, the massive willow tree lay in the center of the clearing, its roots thick and protruding from the earth around the tree. The clearing seemed rather well kept, with patches of wildflowers growing along the edges and tall grass insulating the area. At the base of the tree there was a small hollow just large enough for a den, the trees massive roots encircling the surrounding area for further protection.

“Saki?” I called cautiously, but there was still no response from my friend. I sighed in frustration and sat back on my haunches. Running a paw through my mane of feathers, I tried to think of my next plan of action.

Before I could move again, a flash of movement caught my eye. I froze, not knowing what to expect.

I scanned the clearing, but nothing out of the ordinary stood out. “Hello?” I offered, unable to hide the shakiness in my voice.

Still no response. The clearing was still, but held an air of unease.

Looking a bit closer, I could now see a faint glow by the base of the tree. I moved a bit closer, curiosity taking over once more. A… Viscet? They seemed small and… slightly transparent. They bore a skull headdress, masking all but their glowing green eyes and their bottom jaw. I should have run then and there, but I was driven to figure out who this was, and why they were here.

“Who are you?” I ventured, my voice hushed and gentle, not wanting to startle them. They merely turned their attention to me, their ear twitching, but saying nothing. Their attention turned away from me once more, focusing on something unknown in the distance. I tried a different approach.

“I can see you…” The small Viscet’s eyes went wide and locked on my own at my words. They didn’t move, but after a few moments, their face twisted into a wide smirk. When they finally spoke, it sent a chill down my spine. “Weren’t you told about this place, Viscetling?” Their words sharp, but I held my ground.

My response was simple, “Of course I was. But doesn’t that make us want to come here to see why it’s forbidden?” They laughed, sharp fangs exposed under the beached skull headdress. As I spoke, they quieted down enough to hear me, “Have you seen any Viscets around here? She’s about my height and-“ “Looking for your girlfriend, eh?” The ghostly Viscet cut me off, “Nobody’s dared come into this clearing for centuries, dear. I’ve seen no one.” They didn’t seem the least bit interested, but I pushed on.

“Please, I’m looking for my friend. She’s very dear to me, and I don’t know what I would do if-“ The small Viscet waived their paw, “Yeah, yeah, enough with the confessions.” I bared my teeth at them, but they smirked and continued, “Tell ‘ya what, I’ll help you if you help me. That’s fair, isn’t it?” I was confused.

I tilted my head. “Help you? Help you with what?” The small Viscet took a step forward, but chains shown around their neck, seemingly bound to the tree. I offered my advice, “Can’t you just… cut it? Or slip out of it?”

If looks could kill, I would be dead by now.

They tugged on it, but the chains didn’t let up. Sighing, they sat back down and returned their gaze to me. “I’ve been chained to this tree for centuries, others told to stay away from this place in fear of… well, that’s really none of your concern, now is it?” They clicked their tongue, obviously done with their side of the conversation.

“And... What do I get out of it?” I murmured, thinking over the offer. “You, my dear,” They sing-songed, almost mockingly, “I can promise an eternal life to, and my eternal watch.” Their smirk grew with each word, sharp fangs unintentionally threatening.

I took a step back, a bit taken aback at the offer. I thought it over, until my original intention of finding Saki was brought back to the front of my mind. My words came out sharper than I had intended, “I just want to find Saki.”

They responded without hesitation, “Of course, that, too, can be done.” They held out their paw, an open invitation, “What do you say, hon?”

Every fiber of my being screamed at me that it was a bad idea, that I wasn’t hearing everything they had to say. That I should run and never return to this place. But who was I kidding.

I hesitantly took their paw, “Deal”.

The small Viscet moved to the side, the chain round their neck now strained. I moved closer to it and reached out to it, and to my surprise it felt as real as the tree not 5 feet from me, despite being semi-transparent. I pulled at them, but the chains were stubborn. With a powerful tug, the chains snapped and I tumbled backwards into the dirt.

I got to my feet and brushed myself off, but the ghostly Viscet’s screech caught my attention. “Ah, free once more!” they pranced around the clearing while humming. I only just now noticed they were missing a tail, making me wonder how they keep their balance so well. “Hey,” I called over to them, “how do I know you’re gonna keep your end of the deal?”

They stopped and chuckled, lifting up their left arm. There was a thin red string tangled to their wrist, trailing to the ground. I followed it, and I gasped.

The string ended at my own wrist. I tugged at the transparent string, but this time it slipped through my claws, not able to be moved or touched, but moved as effortlessly as the leaves in the tree above.

“Wh… What’s this??” I couldn’t hold back my yelp of surprise, but the small Viscet confronted me, “This is my end of the deal, hon. As I am to keep eternal watch over your soul, we are bound by the Red String from now on. Don’t worry, you won’t be able to feel it.” They said it with ease, as if they were speaking of the weather.

I wasn’t convinced.

“Come.” They spoke when I didn’t, and made to move out of the clearing. “Where are you going?” My voice was weak and shook as I stood in disbelief. They didn’t stop, but turned their head to me, “Didn’t you want to find your girlfriend, Ari?” I didn’t move yet, their words arose a question, “How do you know my name?”

“I know a lot more than your name, my dear. We’re connected by Fate, after all.” Another smirk, and they paused. “Come on.”

My head swirled with questions. Everything had happened so fast. Who is this Viscet? Why are they transparent? Why were they in the forbidden cleating, chained to the massive tree? Above anything else, I called out my first question before catching up with the small Viscet. “What should I call you?”

“Name’s Lilith, kid.”
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Awakening

Postby SilverSamurai » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:49 am

The sun began to duck behind the horizon, and clouds moved in once more, blocking the little light the night provided.

We had been walking for several hours in painful silence, Lilith leading on into a dark unknown, and I too afraid to break the silence.

They suddenly stopped, and I nearly tripped as to not run into them. They lifted their head, their glowing eyes slightly off putting, glinting off the bleached skull they bore over their head.

“Somewhere…” They mumbled. They shifted their stance a bit, wandering a few feet more, until they turned to face me. “Your friend is nearby.” My ears rose as I took a step forward, looking in the direction Lilith had gestured. My eyes caught sight of Saki’s body in the distance, and I swear I’ve never run faster in my life.

Sprinting to her side, I glanced her over. She was breathing, but her breaths were uneven and not without struggle. I glanced back at Lilith, who stood their ground. I called them over to help, but they shook their head and chuckled, “You don’t want my help, dear.”

I huffed, not in the mood to argue with them. I picked up Saki and hurried her back to our camp, struggling through the darkness and from the weight.

______

A few days pass, and Saki finally comes to. She had been unconscious and rarely responsive, giving little hope of her survival. I didn’t give up on her though.

It was in these few days that I realized how much we had grown up. We were no longer the innocent Viscetlings that we thought we were, but rather we had grown into strong adults while neither of us had noticed. Where had the days gone? I wondered.

When Saki awoke, I wasn’t the least bit surprised, but rather I was angry with myself. Angry that I wasn’t able to stop her from running off, that I didn’t ask her further to make sure the Sight that night wasn’t a big deal. Whatever it was, I’m sure I could have prevented this somehow.

“Ari…” She called out weakly, and my attention shifted back to her. She was lying in the small space of underbrush that was the sleeping quarters, her head propped up on her front paws. “Hey, Saki. I’m here” I whispered back to her, and she looked up at me with soft eyes.

But when her eyes locked with mine, she froze. Her body stiffened and her eyes went wide. “Ari, did you…” Saki gasped. I tilted my head, unable to hide my confusion. She continued when I didn’t answer, “You went into the clearing…”

How did she know?

“I don’t know what you-“ “Don’t lie to me” She cut me off as I tried to speak, her voice strained and dry. My ears flattened, guess the cat’s out of the bag… I carefully spoke, “Saki… I just wanted to know if you were ok. I didn’t mean to-“ I cut myself off, not sure how much I should tell her. It was her turn to speak, calmly this time. “I had a vision… If we had gone into the clearing that night, we would have done something we would regret.” “Regret? Like?” I gently pushed for an answer from her, but she shook her head. Movement in the background caught my eye, and I lifted my head to focus on it.

Lilith sat at the edge of the den, their eyes gleaming with mischief and a smirk spread wide across their face, visible even under their skull headdress.

I felt my feathers begin to stand on end, and Saki lifted her head to follow my gaze, but I quickly put my head on top of hers to reassure her, “It’s… nothing.” I said lowly, not wanting her to worry in her state. Lilith let out a laugh, but said nothing.

Saki spoke a few moments later, “Ari… I can See a strange sort of aura around you… Is it because of the clearing?” Could she see the String…? “Ah… y-yeah. The clearing was… nothing out of the ordinary.” My eyes flickered up to where Lilith sat, their ears perked up to listen to our conversation.

Saki pulled away from me and attempted to get to her feet, but stumbled under her own weight. “Don’t-!” I chirped, seeing the pain on her face, but I was met with a growl from the female. “I’m fine. I need to stretch out my muscles.” She finally said when she settled on standing on four legs rather than two. She glanced around, and I was worried she would see Lilith. As she turned, I tried to stop her, but I was too late. “Wait-!”

Saki had locked eyes with Lilith. I sighed and waited for the questions to start.

But they never did. Saki just turned back to me, ears perked and alert from my sudden cry. “What is it now, Ari?!” I was taken aback. Wasn’t she concerned about the stranger standing merely a few feet away in the den? I looked past her at Lilith, who only laughed once more. I was more confused than ever.

“Let’s… Just call it a night.” I offered cautiously, trying to hide the confusion in my voice. Saki seemed to catch it, and glanced back in Lilith’s direction. “But… The sun is only just starting to set?” Saki tried, but I ignored her logic. “I’m… tired. I need to rest for now.” I muttered as I curled up next to my friend, my mind crying to grasp what was happening.

As I drifted into sleep, I could hear Saki sigh and lie down next to me. The final thing that went through my mind that night was Lilith’s dry chuckling echoing throughout the den before they saw themself out.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Truth

Postby SilverSamurai » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:27 am

As the seasons change, this year brought a particularly bad winter. It not only brought famine across the area, but it also swirled around some long forgotten illnesses. Snow had not accumulated yet, but each morning there was a thin dusting of snow coating the ground, turning the forest a blinding white.

The new season came with new surprises as well. Saki had recovered I full, but has not questioned Lilith’s presence yet. Now that I think about it, no one in the pack has really questioned their presence… But I didn’t think much of it. Our pack was very open to new Viscets, so I just assumed they were welcomed and staying in another den. That wasn’t the biggest surprise, though.

“Ari!” Saki called over her shoulder towards me, and my ears perked up in response. “It’s your turn, I’m heading out to look for food, seeing as you’re going to stare at the wall all day.” The female stated, and I padded over to her. As she stood, the egg in her arms shook, as if cold from being exposed from the chill air.

“Alright, be safe, alright?” She nodded and took the egg from her grasp, holding it with slight difficulty. I watched as Saki began to make her way out of the clearing, “And try not to run off, ok?” I teased. She responded with a rough lash of her tail, and she was gone.

I sighed and sat back on my haunches, looking down at the egg. My egg. Our egg. It had a lot of black dots on it, but there were a few lighter speckles here and there. I craned my neck down to rest my head on the top of the egg, feeling its warmth. I focused, seeing if I could get a Sight of my future child, but I had no such luck. Guess I’d have to wait, like every other parent.

Come to think of it, I haven’t Seen anything in nearly a year. Or rather, I haven’t Seen anything other that that blinding fiery light, and have in return been trying to suppress the ability. I held the egg a bit tighter and wished that the little one wouldn’t end up with the Sight ability, even though I knew it ran in our packs genes.

I felt my chest tighten at the thought, my Viscetling experiencing the same fear of Sights they can’t explain. I shook my head, trying not to worry about it. I glanced around; no sign of Lilith. They must be leaving me be for now… Anxiety swirled within my mind, and I squeezed my eyes shut.

No, I’m here, Saki is here, and we’re safe. At least for now. I carefully curled up in the corner of the underbrush and drifted into sleep, holding the egg close.

Winter proved harsher than usual, but spring came eventually. A few of the Elders didn’t make it, but they peacefully left.

Saki proved to be the better hunter, catching and storing food for not only us, but also for the rest of the pack in the few cold months. As the sun peeked over the horizon, it brought a bit of warmth, thawing the frozen earth for the first time in months. And to not only our surprise but also the whole packs, our egg had survived the harsh winter.

All odds were against our unhatched Viscetling; To be laid in winter, and to rarely feel the warmth of the mother, the Viscetling had toughed it out. No one really knows how, but I’m not going to question the survival of my child. And now that spring was nearly here, the egg shook occasionally, as if eager for the warmth.

Saki returned to the den, nuzzling my shoulder in greeting, “You ok?” “Yeah…” I murmured. Ah, I almost forgot. Through the winter, I had developed a sort of… illness. It didn’t really affect my health besides drain my energy, but I also contributed part of that to the harshness of the winter, and the rations of food.

“How much longer do you think until they’re here?” Saki asked, taking the egg from my arms into hers. I smiled at the thought. “Impatient, are we?” “Not as much as you, Ari,” She chuckled, leaning onto me. I stuck out my tongue playfully before responding, “Decide on a name?” She nodded, but hesitated. After a few moments, she replied, “I think so… but I’m not telling you until it hatches.” It was her turn to stick her tongue at me. I playfully flicked my tail across her ears. Movement caught my eye, and I glanced to the wall.

There they stood, as if they hadn’t missed a thing. I nodded to Lilith, who chuckled in return. Saki noticed my gesture, however, and lifted her head to look up at me questioningly. “Did someone come in?” She asked, and my gaze fell back on Lilith, confusion in my eyes now. “She can’t see me,” Lilith said calmly, not budging from their spot. “Nobody can. It’s just you and I, Ari” They added as they lifted their arm, the Red String dangling from their paw.

I stepped away from Saki and approached Lilith, who stood taller now. “Ari, what-“ Saki questioned, but I cut her off, pulling Lilith with me as I exited the den. “I’ll be back, I need some fresh air…”

I led Lilith out of the camp and didn’t stop until we reached the outskirts of our territory. I tuned on them, but they seemed unfazed. “You have some explaining to do.” I snarled, but they didn’t react. “What do you mean?” They offered, as if not understanding. Very funny. I know they’re hiding something…

“Where were you this winter?” I started, but they shrugged. “Around,” They trailed off, not wanting to say more. I tried a different approach, “Why didn’t you tell me I was the only one who could see you?!” My voice began to rise, but they paid it no mind and responded calmly yet again, “You never asked.” They sat back on their haunches and adjusted the skull headdress adorning their head. “I thought you knew, honestly.”

I tilted my head, “Knew…?” I was taken aback. Knew what? They spoke again, a gleam of knowing sparkling in their eyes now, “I’m surprised you’ve lasted this long, to be honest. You’re stronger than I thought.” They laughed and added, “This is gonna be more entertaining than I thought…” Whatever they were going on about, it lit a fire I didn’t know was there within me. My voice came out weaker than I had intended, “W-What are you talking about?”

They smirked that wide, menacing smirk once more, and for the first time, I genuinely felt afraid of them.

They stood once more, and despite their short stature seemed to loom over me as they moved closer to me. When they finally spoke, it sent a chill down my spine, “You’re ill, honey.” I hesitantly nodded, agreeing with them. “Y-yeah, I know that. I caught a cold or somethi-“

“No,” Lilith sharply cut me off, “You’re dying, Ari. Haven’t you noticed?” They chuckled, and I could almost feel my blood run cold at their words.

My head swirled, anxiety filling my mind once more. Saki. My unhatched Viscetling. My pack. Everything flashed in my mind, until it eventually faded into the all too familiar hot, bright flames that scare me to this day. I took a step back, snapped back to reality by the harsh snap! of a twig underfoot.

I… What? How can they claim something like that? “You’re lying….” I growled, unable to hide the fear in my voice. The feathers on my back began to stand on end. “Ah, denial! It’s more common than you think, dear.” Lilith sing-songed, and anger rushed through me, the fire burning my very core. I lunged at them, pinning their small frame to the ground. Lilith didn’t even try to fight back.

“How can you claim something like that, Lilith?! I’m… I’m fine.” I snarled at them, feeling my paws shaking as a held them down on the cold earth. Something else clicked in my mind, and I challenged them. “You told me you’d watch over me… We made a deal! I’m supposed to be immortal!” I yelped. Lilith snickered, not responding right away.

They spoke calmly for someone under attack, “Yes, you are correct my dear. You are immortal, but,” they paused glancing to the side. I lashed my tail is frustration, and Lilith continued, seeing my frustration and impatience. “Not by normal terms.” That all knowing grin adorned their face more. “Explain.” I growled lowly, ears flattening against my head while they explained.

“Immortality by normal means is living forever; never dying nor aging. You, however… You are ‘immortal’, yes. You will live forever, but by my terms.

“You are able to succumb to plague and famine, and will eventually age and die, as you normally would. But, holding my end of our ‘deal’, you will be reborn the moment you previous life ends. Tragic, isn’t it dear? A soul forever trapped in a body that’s forced to live again and again~”

I let them up, half meaningfully, half not having enough strength to keep them held down. Lilith stood and shook the dust from their feathers, but made no attempt to leave. My legs gave out, trying to process everything I have just been told. “If…” I choked on my own words. I tried again a few moments later, “if what you say is true… When I’m reborn, won’t I be recognized in my next life?” Another menacing laugh in return.

“That wouldn’t be fun, dear. In your next life, you will indeed retain all your memories… but all memories of you will be erased from those who have come in contact with you.” I shook my head, feeling dizzy and warm. I felt sick, like I could throw up at any moment, but they continued, “No, that’s not quite right. They will remember someone, but not your appearance nor name.” Lilith moved to stand over me, their eyes gleamed with mischief.

The fire had returned, bubbling up within me. I don’t know where it came from, but it didn’t feel unnatural. Green flames glowed at the back of my throat, threatening to spew as I spoke, though my voice weak. “That… That’s not what you promised!” “Ah, that’s where you’re wrong, honey,” Lilith spat and dug her claws into the soil next to my head, “I said I’d grant you immortality, but you failed to question what it entitled.” Their voice sharp, laced with danger.

A few stray flames escaped my mouth, and I gasped at the sight. It felt… warm, but not uncomfortably so. I ignored it for the time being and narrowed my eyes at the Viscet standing above me and hissed, “That’s dirty!”

“As what you’d expect from a Shinigami, my dear~” Came their response.

I couldn’t believe it. I suddenly understood why the Viscet hovering me was chained to the tree, and why that clearing was forbidden. I’ve made a huge mistake. I remembered Saki’s words to me, and I inwardly gasped at what she meant. “I’m sorry, Saki… I did end up doing something I regret after all…” I whispered to no one in particular, but my throat felt tight.

My vision blurred, and my head felt heavy. Sharp green flames filled my vision once more in a Sight until I eventually gave into the warm numbness.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

From the Unknown

Postby SilverSamurai » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:12 pm

When I came to, I found myself lying on cold dirt. Dust choked in my throat as I tried to catch my breath, my body shaking slightly and every bone in my body felt like they could snap at any second. I felt weaker than I ever have, and I hated it.

I slowly glanced around, confirming that I was alone, not even the Shinigami willing to greet me it seemed. I glanced up at the sky, taking in the pale moonlight peeking through the fluffy clouds that stretched across the horizon. The moon wasn’t too high in the sky yet, suggesting the sun had set merely an hour or two ago.

I took a shaky breath and gathered all the strength I had in my body and got to my feet. I stumbled, falling from two feet to four, but decided not to fight my body any more than I already was. I cleared my head and slowly made my way back home.

After what seemed like an eternity, I finally managed to drag myself into the familiar clearing that I called home. Saki was sitting at the edge in front of our den, her anger quickly turned to worry as she rushed to my side. “What happened? Where were you?” She frantically asked, supporting me as my muscles threatened to give out once more. I couldn’t respond quite yet, just nuzzled her shoulder to reassure her. She wasn’t having any of it.

“Ari,” Her voice was sharp, and it snapped my attention to her and I held her gaze; a mix of anger, worry and fear swirled in her pretty eyes as I gazed into them. “Are you ok??” She asked, calmer this time, but her voice still laced with worry. I managed to nod and chuckle, but ended up choking and coughing once more. When my coughing fit subsided, I managed a weak smile and stuck out my tongue at her.

Saki’s eyes glazed over in tears, threatening to fall but never did. She pulled me in close and hugged me, tickling my feathers as she choked out a laugh, “You’re lame as ever, Ari.”

“Told ‘ya he’d be back!” A voice echoed from across the clearing and another chimed in, “Ari’s back!” other pack members called to one another, but I paid them no mind. Saki pulled away from me and I slowly padded towards our clearing, unsteady even on four legs. Once inside the den, I gave in and collapsed once more, but this time onto much softer and warmer ferns.

I felt soft feathers brushing against my side, acknowledging Saki’s presence next to me. My eyes felt heavy and burned, begging for sleep. The last thing I saw before giving into sleep was our egg, now large and cracked in several places. I smiled to myself and gave into the warm sleep.

I awoke feeling much better than I had before; while I no longer felt weak and sick, my body ached to the very core. I shrugged it off and yawned. Blinking away the sleep, I noticed that I was alone once more. Getting to my feet, I decided to remain on four legs until I felt back to my old self. If I ever did, a voice in the back of my mind reminded me. I ducked out of the underbrush and into the main clearing.

The sun had risen long ago, already almost directly above and my eyes squinted to adjust to the harsh light. A small crowd was in the center of the clearing, and before I could ask what was going on, one of my pack mates was pushing me to the center of the crowd despite my warnings to be careful. Once in the center of the clearing, I gasped.

Saki turned to me; a warm smile across her face and her eyes said it all. I turned my attention to the egg at her feet, which was chipped and wiggling on its own. My eyes widened and my chest tightened once more. I could only watch as the Viscetling struggled free, legs shaking and eyes shut.

All thought of the day before left my mind as I picked up my son and held him close, Saki resting her head on my shoulder to watch as the pitch black Viscet opened his eyes; one fiery orange, the other cold as ice. He blinked a few times, looking up at us before smiling and making unintelligible chirps at us. I glanced at Saki, her eyes gleaming with pride and happiness. She took him from me and I noticed he was missing a tail, much like Lilith… But I shook off the thought of someone like them.

Saki was the first to speak, “I thought you were going to sleep through it,” she teased, but I nudged her shoulder in return, “I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.” I smiled, and she returned the gesture.

We both looked down at the dark Viscetling, and Saki chirped to him, “Welcome to the world, Chronos.”

Nothing much changed the first few days, besides our attention being solely on Chronos. But as days passed, not only did the days get longer, but also Chronos gained more and more strength. Lilith’s presence was felt, but not seen, and I wasn’t about to complain about them being absent.

It wasn’t until Chronos began to take his first shaky steps that really kicked in, and all the fears swirled back into my mind. Does Chronos have Sight as well…? Of course, he probably does. All of us here have it. What will he See? Will he See the same Sights that I have…? I protectively held him closer at times, not noticing my grasp at the time but eventually understanding my protectiveness. What if I-

“Ari!” Saki’s voice made me jump, startling me out of the dark thoughts induced by my anxiety. “You’ve been acting weird recently, are you sure you’re ok?” Her voice was serious, but was not demanding. I sighed, “Yeah, I’m… ok. Just had some things on my mind recently.” Saki looked confused, her ears twitched. “Care to talk about it?”

I guess I should tell her at some point…

“Listen, Saki-“ I started, but choked on my words, throat suddenly feeling tight. Not a second later, Lilith faded into the background. My eyes narrowed at the unwelcome figure. What are they doing here? Lilith spoke quickly, “I forgot to mention some… things.” They held up their arm, the String dangling as freely as ever.

“While we are Tied, you are unable to speak of myself, or your,… situation, as you would call it.” I focused on the dirt at my paws, not wanting to startle Saki about the unseen visitor. While I couldn’t see it, I could hear the smirk in their voice. Lilith didn’t leave, but sat back and watch the conversation between Saki and I continue. What a sick sense of humor, I thought as I chuckled to myself.

My gaze met my mate’s once more, and I opened my mouth to speak again, but the words didn’t come. Instead, anger bubbled in me and I felt the flames rising once more. I growled to no one in particular and shook my head. “Ari, are you-“ Saki started, but I hurried out of the den before she could finish her sentence.

I sprinted out of the clearing, nearly running into other pack mates in my hurry to get away. I don’t know where I’m going, but I need to vent my frustration. I really did screw up, didn’t I?

I stopped only when I no longer recognized my surroundings. I tried to catch my breath, warn out more than usual from running on four legs rather than two. As my breathing steadied, I felt tears well in the corner of my eyes. Why? It made me even more angry; how selfish I was in a moment of weakness, and someone took advantage of me just like that. My whole life…

I felt the flames creeping up my throat once more, and I didn’t fight them. The more I thought about my past and my future, the more my anxiety ate away at whatever hope I had left. I dropped to the ground, green flames spilling out of my mouth unwillingly, dancing around my feet and scorching the ground where I sat.

“Wallowing in your weakness will get you nowhere, Ari,” Lilith’s voice called from somewhere in the distance, and my head snapped up. My eyes slits as I scanned my surroundings for the all too familiar voice. “Show yourself!” I snarled, eyes wild with rage and the flames glowing impossibly brighter.

A twig snapped a few feet away, and I lunged at the sound. The Viscet yelped as they were pinned to the ground, but when my eyes locked with the other, I felt my heart drop. “Ari-“ It was Saki staring back at me, the fear in her eyes reflecting my own. Her voice shook, and her eyes were wide in horror. “What…” She couldn’t speak, and my ears flattened in regret as I let her up. I cursed, throwing myself down onto the ground a few feet away, not daring a glance at my mate.

Saki slowly got up and looked in my direction, though not daring to take a step towards me. I shook my head and sighed, attempting to clear my thoughts. “I…” I paused to clear my throat, not as rasp or dry as I thought from the flames moments ago, “Saki, I’m sorry.” She didn’t say anything. After all, what was there to say in her position?

“I just… lost control of myself. I’ve had these fears bottled up inside me, and they all came out at once.” I glanced up, her eyes still full of fear, but a gentle understanding mixed in them. “A-And the flames…?” She said with a shaky breath, and I shook my head and chuckled cautiously, “I’m not really sure myself…” She hesitated for a few seconds more before cautiously approaching me.

When she stood over me, I looked up to meet her gaze. I didn’t know what to expect at this point, but it definitely wasn’t that. She laid down at my side and nuzzled into me, a small goofy smile on her face. It was contagious, and I adorned a similar expression.

“Ari…” She spoke softly and low, her voice still a bit unsteady, “I… We’re in this together, you know.” My eyes widened, but I let her continue, “You don’t have to be afraid to tell me something, you know? I’m here; we’re all here for you. You don’t have to be afraid…”

I felt Lilith’s cold gaze burn into my being, but I ignored it.

I wanted to speak, but my words never came. I nodded and sighed into Saki’s feathers. After a few moments, she got to her feet and I to mine, and she broke the silence. “Let’s… get home, ok? Chronos must be hungry by now.”

Finally able to speak once more, I laughed under my breath, “The kid’s always hungry”

Years passed and Chronos proved he did indeed have Sight, and I was glad to learn it was not similar to my own at his age. He was quiet for the most part and kept to himself usually, but had a curiosity like no other. I wonder where he got that from.

Chronos took interest in his surroundings, carefully studying each one with respect and superb attention to detail, especially when it came to plants and organisms. He took after his mother mostly, proving to be an outstanding hunter. He was growing into a wonderful Viscet, and I yearned to watch him grow and live his life.

But alas, the years did not treat me kindly. My health slowly deteriorating, fighting it only seemed to make it worse. Lilith showed themself occasionally, but never confronted me to much my surprise. Just watching from the sidelines, somehow enjoying their ‘game’.

The pack grew stronger, and I had stepped up and taken control of the pack when situations called for a leader. It came naturally to me, and I didn’t really mind it.

Saki has kept an ever-close watch on me since the night of my outburst, now encouraging me to voice my emotions. I would be teased for it occasionally, being called an ‘overly emotional Viscetling”, but I was validated and taken seriously all the same. She remained cautious, very much remembering the flames that frightens both of us to this day. I came to understand the flames in an odd sort of way; they’re not a threat unless I become mentally unstable. In most situations, I am relatively in control of them.

Or so I thought.

I never wanted it to end up like this
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

To the End

Postby SilverSamurai » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 pm

As I grew weaker, Chronos and Saki grew stronger. I watched as our son grew up right in front of our eyes, but my original pain and anxiety always in the back of my mind. Not nearly as bad anymore, but still enough to leave me uncomfortable.

Lilith came to visit often now, though they neither mocked nor pushed me, but seemed to keeping company. I don’t need your pity, I always thought, but never spoke up.

Saki, doing more of the upkeep in the pack, mainly hunted with Chronos and brought back extra food and materials for those who could no longer go out for themselves. Like myself. I have become weak, unable to live my life, and I hate it. Saki never said anything about it though, simply putting up with my as if nothing had changed.

Chronos has taken my place by now, as I am in no condition to lead the pack. He has grown into a handsome young adult, quite a role model for the younger generation that now ran rampant I the main clearing. Our pack wasn’t large, but the few of us were strong and close, a shared ability in our pack giving us comfort and, for the most part, safety from future events.

There was one Viscet in particular, though, who caught my eye. She was a young Viscetling, running about on all fours still and stumbling at every turn. She often came to visit and chat with me, and I would be lying if I said I haven’t taken a liking to her. She was still so young, but her eyes were bright and promised everything life had to offer her. She has been outlasted my most of the pack due to her lack of Sight, but I saw so much potential in her. I began calling her Hikaru when others failed to name her

Chronos, too, took an interest in her. He looked after her as his own, and it made me feel older than I felt each time I saw the pair together. In the pack’s down time, Chronos would mentor Hikaru and teach her about life, even teaching her to hunt and gather. My heart swelled with pride at watching my son move on with his own life, and Saki, too, eventually joined me in the Elder’s den.

We were content, for the most part. Our young love never faltering, and just enjoying what life had to offer at this point. That is until a familiar shadow fell upon the clearing one evening.

Chronos has been on edge all day; his movements’ jerky and his smile forced. I wasn’t concerned with it, assuming he just Saw something like Saki had all those years ago.

I didn’t know, after all, as my Sight has been gone for a long while now.

I took notice, however, when Chronos rushed Hikaru out of the clearing suddenly and without a word. “Chronos-“ I called to him, but my words lost in the dust clouds picking up in the wind. My ears flattened, that’s not like him. “Ari?” Saki called from the den, and I turned to reassure her, but was met with a sight I never hoped to see.

Saki lay in the den, her eyes peering into my own, but my eyes locked on the figure hovering over her. Lilith, whose eyes glowed from under the bleached skull headdress, sending anger and confusion though my body. I didn’t dare speak, but waited for Lilith to start.

“Are you ready, Ari?” They sing-songed. I hesitated, but gave into their game and responded to them, much to Saki’s confusion, “Ready? For what?” I felt the familiar green flames rise in my throat. Lilith’s response was simple; “Your time has come.” It sent a chill down my spine, and my eyes narrowed at their intentions. Saki spoke up, concern in her voice, “Who are you speaking to?” She glanced around, unable to see the ghostly Viscet above her.

“My, shall we take her with us?” Lilith offered, hovering their sharp claws over Saki’s head. I quickly took a step forward, standing tall and snarled, flames swirling in the corners of my mouth as I snarled, “Don’t you dare lay a finger her.” Saki’s breath hitched, and Lilith chuckled. Lilith lowered herself closer to Saki and sneered at me, “Wouldn’t it be easier knowing you died with the person you love, my dear?” They offered, but I lashed my tail and chirped a warning.

Saki’s eyes were blown wide at this point, and her body unable to move. Lilith had frozen her in place, little to her knowledge. I looked down and locked eyes with Saki, and my anger mixed with sadness when I met her gaze. Saki had tears in her eyes, wide with fear and confusion. She spoke, but her quiet voice shook, “Ari… Not now. We… We can talk this through-“ Lilith let out a laugh, and my eyes darted up to the cold green ones of the Shinigami.

“How sad,” Lilith commented, almost to themself, “This isn’t how I saw your first life ending, Ari.” Their paw lifted, and it seemed like time had slowed as I saw their claws coming down hard for impact on Saki-

I lunged forward, overcome by rage at the Death Bringer. I attempted to pin them, but they slipped through my grasp and I flew to the side. Regaining my balance, I lunged again, hot green flames enveloping my as I slashed in the directions of Lilith. The Shinigami, however, was faster, and not nearly as weak as my body had become. They didn’t try to fight back, but rather dodged my blind fury, stopping only when my vision was too bright to properly make out their ghostly figure. “Ari-“ I heard a pained gasp from my mate, and I briefly snapped out of my rage-induced state. I gasped, my breath caught in my throat at the sight.

Bright, hot flames engulfed the den, catching on the woven twigs and leaves. I frantically scrambled to Saki, but my muscles gave out under me and I collapsed into the hot ash. I locked eyes with my mate, her eyes reflecting fear from my own.

I used the remaining strength in my body to inch over to her body and rest my head over hers, taking little comfort in the touch in this situation. “… I’m sorry.” I managed to choke out, holding Saki tight in my grasp with what little strength I had left. She let out a weak laugh, sticking out her tongue a bit. “I know,” She responded simply.

I stuck out my tongue, knowing she couldn’t see it and I murmured a weak “I love you through it all, Saki. I wouldn’t have had it any other way”

Saki let out a dry heave of a laugh, “Me too, you big goof,” her voice trailed off, partially due to her strength giving out, but mainly due to the loud roaring of flames engulfing the den, seeping into the clearing and surely noticed by the others at this point.

I nuzzled into her feathers and took a deep breath, finally giving into the bright, blinding heat I have feared all this time.

It was finally over,

But it was just the beginning.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me