❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Megaguirus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:30 am

@Wildcat
Those stories sound interesting. The first one sounds a little cliche with the disliked introvert, but hey, I know you can probably make it more unique.

The Worst Username wrote:
Meg wrote:Well shoot, look at what I've gone an done. You know that novel I've mentioned a couple of times, the first one I wrote that I dropped halfway through because the main character was a Mary Sue? Well, now it's in India (or an Indian-like climate and culture)! I mean, I really shouldn't have, I shouldn't plan a story I don't plan on writing for years (or however long it takes me to finish The Story of Dante). But I just had to. It's one of the few stories that deals with human characters, and making it based in Indian culture, climate and mythology (except for the Lycans, but there are European-based kingdoms in it, so they brought along their mythology. And because Lycans are an integral part of the story). Of course, that means more researching because I have little experience in Indian things. But hey, at least it could count as credit for my last year of homeschooling! LOL.

Ooh, that sounds really cool! Hope you don't get overwhelmed with all those stories, goodness. Which Indian cultures are you basing it on, by the way? Also dude, that's a cool scene.

Thanks! And I don't know yet. I haven't really dug that deep yet since I am writing two separate novels, doing school, and attending and studying for a church class/Bible study with my mom. I'm also going to be working on my Halloween costume soon. So that's a lot to juggle. So I don't now any specific culture yet. And since it's in a completely different fantasy world, I might take from a lot of cultures and religions, especially since the original is chock-a-block full of European mythology, and I want to keep some of that in (like the Lycans I mentioned before). Currently my excuse for the Lycans would be that they came with the European settlers, which would help with the hate the main character receives since she lives in the woods of an Indian village/kingdom.

Anyways, I would explain more in depth of what I have so far, but I'm a little pressed for time (have to run some errands with Mom in ten minutes). If you want to know more about it and maybe even help me (since you've mentioned digging into other cultures before, if I remember,) you can PM me. I'm open!
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am

@wildcat
That sounds like a really cool idea. I don't plan to do NaNoWriMo, mainly because I have to concentrate on school because I'm hoping to get top grades to get into my dream school, but good luck!

@worst
yes it was
My friend is pretty cool. The short story he's trying to get published is one he wrote for his EPQ (a big project that's worth half an A Level in England), which is heavily based on Lovecraft. I haven't read it, but I know he's a pretty good writer. He's trying to wrote a novel at the moment, but he's at a writer's block right now because he needs to get his main character to kill a child, but still retain some sympathy. I totally don't have a thing for him shhh (he's a drummer can you blame me)

@meg
Sounds like a lot, I feel you there. I've got school, 2 huge projects and I'm organising the Halloween events at my school (gotta love being head girl). I'm loving how your world is developing, even just from what you've been saying on this thread ^^
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 pm

tuttifrutti000 wrote:Sorry to butt in here, but I'd really appreciate some critique on a story I'm working on for a competition. The thing that's bugging me is the first paragraph; it doesn't have that.. um, how do I describe this? that oomph that really impacts the reader. My goal is to make it clear just how much Francis has changed, and she doesn't feel emotion after the tragedy. I have to keep the first sentence, for it's the prompt. I'd just really like some critique and suggestions on how to make this more impactful. I'm also trying to make it interesting by weaving first and third person (the old Francis, and her changed self), does it flow? Get what I mean?

Here's the paragraph:

Looking in the mirror, I barely recognised the person staring back. The scars alone set my former self and her worlds apart. But it was the eyes that divided us completely. Those eyes… they used to be so bright, so real. Now they were grey, barren wastelands. No life, no emotion. Honestly, it was a tragedy caused by a tragedy. These eyes didn’t shed a single tear though, after all, they possessed no emotion.

Oh, by the way: does 'reverend' require a capital?
Oh, that's really cool! You should show us the rest of the short-story when you're done, if you can! This is good! :D (also welcome along and watch out for carrots!) Look's like Dev's given you pretty sound advice, so I'll just sit here and quietly agree with him/her :D

The Worst Username wrote:~snip~

@Ranger
    ...did someone say birds
    I'm going to go check that out, right now. Birds are the best.

~snip~
Yes. Yes, I most definitely did. And yes. Yes, they most definitely are. <33

@Wildcat Hey, welcome back! c: And those sounds cool! Good luck with them! c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 pm

tuttifrutti000 wrote:Sorry to butt in here, but I'd really appreciate some critique on a story I'm working on for a competition. The thing that's bugging me is the first paragraph; it doesn't have that.. um, how do I describe this? that oomph that really impacts the reader. My goal is to make it clear just how much Francis has changed, and she doesn't feel emotion after the tragedy. I have to keep the first sentence, for it's the prompt. I'd just really like some critique and suggestions on how to make this more impactful. I'm also trying to make it interesting by weaving first and third person (the old Francis, and her changed self), does it flow? Get what I mean?

Here's the paragraph:

Looking in the mirror, I barely recognised the person staring back. The scars alone set my former self and her worlds apart. But it was the eyes that divided us completely. Those eyes… they used to be so bright, so real. Now they were grey, barren wastelands. No life, no emotion. Honestly, it was a tragedy caused by a tragedy. These eyes didn’t shed a single tear though, after all, they possessed no emotion.

Oh, by the way: does 'reverend' require a capital?

I'll just sit back here with North and quietly agree too.... and then instantly agree with North as well as I'd love to see a short story. What was the tragedy? What in the world happened to get to this point?? How in Arceus' name did Francis change?? Though I love the comparison between her eyes and a barren wasteland.

Reading back I noticed the word "scars" are they physical scars you can see with the naked eye or scars that are more mental? Or both? Has she become so numb??? Unfunny Nickleback joke was unfunny.

...... I actually had to look up the word Reverend and all I can find are things about churches.... I'm so confused.

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ! honeysuckle ! » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:41 pm

So... I've used the advice and added some stuff, do you think that the second is an improvement? Still looking for critique :)

1. (original)

2. (new)

Looking in the mirror, I barely recognised the person staring back. The prominent scars alone set my former self and her worlds apart, but it was the eyes that divided us completely. Those eyes… they used to be so bright, so real. Now they were grey, desolate, barren wastelands. No life, no emotion. Honestly, it was a tragedy caused by a tragedy. These eyes didn’t shed a single tear though. After all, they possessed no emotion.

Oh, by the way, does anyone want to be a judge for my writing comp?
! honeysuckle !

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 am

@tuttifrutti000:
I definitely think the second one is better. It flows better and the little bit of extra description explains more without making it too long c:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Yeah, I think the second is definitely an improvement! c: I think you could remove the 'prominent' part of 'prominent scars', though? It just seems that little bit needless to me, since if they're noticeable then they must be prominent (;
HOWEVER! That could be my personal preferences clashing with yours, so do what you want :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ! honeysuckle ! » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:
Yeah, I think the second is definitely an improvement! c: I think you could remove the 'prominent' part of 'prominent scars', though? It just seems that little bit needless to me, since if they're noticeable then they must be prominent (;
HOWEVER! That could be my personal preferences clashing with yours, so do what you want :D

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll keep 'prominent'(:
! honeysuckle !

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:07 pm

tuttifrutti000 wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll keep 'prominent'(:
Oki doki, fair enough! :D *thumbs-up*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby passione » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Guess who's doing Nanowrimo this year!

I have the basic storyline all figured out, now I just need to further develop some characters and fill some plot holes.
If anyone has done Nanowrimo before, what's a good amount to write each day for a first-time participant?
I've asked my friend who's also joining and she told me to write 7k, whereas another friend suggested 2k.
passione

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me