❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Can you listen to music with lyrics, or can you only listen to instrumental music while writing?
I can listen to pretty much anything if I'm in the mood for it.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winchester's Wolf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

HOLY NOODLES

I missed a lot. and I mean a lottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttltt.

=========================================

Have you ever written fanfiction? If yes, what was it of? If no, would you consider it?
Yes, Five Night's at Freddy's, Pokemon and Warrior Cats. Those were good times. Until someone told me to stop writing them because there wasn't enough romance. :I

What is your favorite genre to write? Read?
Fantasy, Horror, Thriller, Drama and Mystery. and comedy.

What is your least favorite genre to write? Read?
Romance.

What are your thoughts on werewolves and vampires always being "hot" or "sexy" in YA novels?
I hate it. absolutely hate it. if you don't know how much then you should look up how high a airplane can reach. Kay? kay.

Can you listen to music with lyrics, or can you only listen to instrumental music while writing?
Huehuehue. Both. I can find it inspirational c:

-----

sO

I'm starting to rewrite a story, I'm writing a new story while all of that, i'm working on rewriting another story lol
Its really easy to multitask on many stories. help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anyway here's what the stories are about and why I'm rewriting/writing them:

Rewrite #1" A Demon's Past- Average teenager girl Anna Wolfram is experiencing something out of the ordinary: having dreams of a demon's past, who is well known as the God of Judgement. As she learns the demon's past bit by bit, she helps the demon track down the humans who had killed two important family members dear to him. Towards the end of their journey, she learns that this is only the beginning as her partner disappears without a trace.

the reason why I am rewriting this story, it is because it had phenomenal mistakes and detailed violent scenes, so I decided to tone down on that in the next version, which is going smoothly so far. which of course it is a lie as one of memories explains the death in deep detail. i mean deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep detail.

New Story; The Gallery- Nanna Jones is on a family field trip to an art gallery that hold the most famous artists even known. Such as Walt Disney, Butch Hartman, Leonardo Da Vinci and many more. However there is a room within the art gallery where more than fifty canvases are hung up on a wall with golden plates that have the captions of the artwork, but where is the artist's name? Well she is about to find out when the canvases' occupants are missing and they are over at Nanna's house, begging to reunite them to their creator. But would she help find the artist within the time limit that she has? Or will the masterpieces will start a new life in the real world?

the reason why i am writing this is because I wondered if i had an art gallery and these would be the masterpieces that i created, that would come to life because of one simple mistake that someone else had created, and they had to search the ends of the earth in order to find me so i could fix their mistake. also I wanted to experiment on puttin myself into the story like how Markus Zusak did in one of his books, "I Am the Messenger". So nyeh~

Rewriting #2: The Ruins of Ambrosia City- Years ago there was a city that thrived and had no fear of war, until the war happened. King Lucifer Devado is responsible of Ordell City's downfall, but he was also responsible for the upraise of Ambrosia City. The city is named after his daughter-in-law who he gladly allowed her to marry his son. The city was rebuilt into the most beautiful city that would be soon ruled by both Ambrosia herself and Prince Aster. However once the king had died in battle, everything started to crumble apart. The queen attacked the tribe that was Ambrosia's home, only to learn at the young pup ran from the tribe. Furious, the queen drove herself into madness and sent her army out to destroy the lovely city. Years past and King Aster is now in search of his queen, as he learned that she is still alive. But where? Everything comes to light as he visits this seaside town of Lefattè Al Brine to learn that four dragons -and a bipolar wolf by the name of Discord- are determined to restore the ruined city and find the king's queen. But what they learn that the queen was right beside them the whole time.

The reason why I chose to rewwrite this was because there were a BUNCH of errors, and it wasn't really sserious at all. There was a lack of detail and many more. So that's why i have a notebook with me everday xD

Once I'm finished, I'm going to post it back on CS

quick edit:

Code: Select all
[b]Out of the three stories above, which story seems the most interesting? What seems the least interesting and why?[/b]
Sig is a wip <3
Winchester's Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Out of the three stories above, which story seems the most interesting? What seems the least interesting and why? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE They all sound super cool :0 I can't really say any of them are the least interesting, because I like them all ;D especially The Ruins of Ambrosia City hehhhhhhhhhe gimme >:3
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ativanblues » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Have you ever written fanfiction? If yes, what was it of? If no, would you consider it?
uh, i don’t think so. probably not. never seriously, anyway. i don’t know. i guess i just never really liked the concept of fanfiction in general. i’m kinda still in that phase where i think it’s stupid, but deep down i know there probably is good fanfiction out there, and it’s just harder to find in a genre i consider to be mostly poorly written and just a mess in general.

kinda romance-ish...? but with dark and poetic influences. i also enjoy realistic fiction because it’s just always been easy to read and write for me. i can never come up with a complicated yet interesting idea for a fantasy story, or a haunting idea for a horror story.

i can never bring myself to read non-fiction, it’s like i have a grudge against the world or something. as for writing, i dislike horror the most. probably because i’m a scaredy cat myself so i don’t know how to write something actually scary to spook someone who is into the horror genre. if that makes sense.

What are your thoughts on werewolves and vampires always being "hot" or "sexy" in YA novels?
it was a cool idea to me at first because i’ve always thought vampires were really rad, but it’s just so unoriginal and annoying now.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
    liv - she/they - virgo - sXe
    hi im liv, i not on here much
    these days but feel free to
    say hi if u see me lurking....
    i like music, sonic, antiques,
    and classic literature (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆ ⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。♡‧
    ♫ pop out like a toast ✧ ♫ Image
    ————————————————
    ...,,...,,..my spotify
    ————————————————
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
ativanblues

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm

I need some help? How do you guys come up with good plotlines? Cuz I've only ever really come up with one and I don't know how to recreate that process. I have at least one character, and a couple of random ideas. Any advice would be appreciated!

It depends. Some days I'm more distracted than others, but usually I just listen to whatever I've been listening to. Other times I listen to to Lindsey Stirling.

@Winchester oh my god man I thought you died
Personally A Demon's Past sounds the most interesting to me lmk if you ever put it here on cs please
Idk why.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Guys — guys help — little sister put way to much peppermint in my hot chocolate and now my eyeballs leak if I breathe 😂 😭

Yup! I wrote one chapter of one Star Wars fanfic a couple years ago, and dropped it almost immediately XD I don't think I really have the attention-span or dedication to commit myself to someone else's world XD

Adventure-fantasy-fantasy-adventure!!

Horror and heavy romance

Never encountered 'em; they don't sound hot though, lol

anxious ghost wrote:Guys! I got a laptop!
Oh, awesome! :D What is it?

Dev, your teacher sounds awesome XD XD

I'll check 'em out soon, Soul c:

I am a proud-but-half-regretful sound-addict; I can do almost anything, especially if I've heard it before c;

Out of the three stories above, which story seems the most interesting? What seems the least interesting and why?
My ears definitely perked at mention of The Gallery c:

anxious ghost wrote:I need some help? How do you guys come up with good plotlines? Cuz I've only ever really come up with one and I don't know how to recreate that process. I have at least one character, and a couple of random ideas. Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm having this problem, too! Help our poor afflicted souls, @everyone-else XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 pm

I can listen to music with lyrics under two circumstances: 1, if they're in another language or 2, if I've listened to the song enough and it becomes background noise.

Out of the three stories above, which story seems the most interesting? What seems the least interesting and why?
... To be honest? All three sound very interesting and none of them really sound... Uninteresting if that makes any sense.

A Demon's Past....... I like demons okay? I for some reason keep being drawn to these kinds of books/pieces of media. I'm following a comic that has Lucifer following around a teen because of some mistake someone made at a certain factory. I watched an anime about the lord of the underworld working at a knockoff mcdonalds So teenager dreaming about the past of a demon? Sign me the heck up! I'm by no means comparing A Demon's Past to -blehh- and Me and the Devil is a Part-Timer. I... I just like the concept in general and am curious as to where this book will lead.

The Gallery gives me kind of Ib undertones in regards to the plot revolving around pictures and having a young girl as the protagonist. I hope its not horror. Dear lord I do not want to go through that again. Spooks for days. I will say though I am interested in finding out who the Artist is and how exactly everything went down the toilet for the paintings to be thrown from their canvases like that. I also wonder what kind of character Nanna is.

I'll definitely follow this book to see how everything plays out.

The Ruins of Ambrosia City: I usually don't read these kinds of stories. Why? I dunno myself. But, reading the description of this story... and yeah, you probably figured out what i was gonna say "I wonder how everything plays out" I've said this for all three right? I want to see her spiral into madness. I want to see how these dragons and a bipolar wolf save the friggen day. How was she beside them? What the frig is going on? And just why? Why?

TL;DR:

A Demon's Past: I like Demons and am drawn to these kinds of stories for some reason. I'm interested about his past and wonder where its going to take her.

The Gallery: I flat out like the concept entirely and find it very interesting. It gives me spooky Ib vibes and I hope it isn't horror.

Ruins of Ambrosia City: I don't usually read these kinds of stories but after reading the description of the story it really interests me and makes me question a lot of things that are going to happen.

Yes I said i'm interested in all three. It may sound like I'm bluffing or whatever. But I truely want to see where these books go. I can keep going and sound like a broken record. Buut I'm not. Because that would be boring and that would require more reading on your part... and it would be annoying for everyone involved. So lets not do that yeah?

*I'm not taking chances with the actual comics name.

Ranger of the North wrote:
anxious ghost wrote:I need some help? How do you guys come up with good plotlines? Cuz I've only ever really come up with one and I don't know how to recreate that process. I have at least one character, and a couple of random ideas. Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm having this problem, too! Help our poor afflicted souls, @everyone-else XD

..... I didn't see this question earlier. But to be honest... I don't. I'm winging it on 2/3rds of my stories.

Tempting Fate only has a story because it's based off of a game. So its a really shotty story.

Restructure only has a story because it came from a dream.... Quite literally.

The only things I can suggest are going onto sites like Tumblr and Pinterest and looking up prompts. There are some really good ones that you can turn into story ideas if not oneshots.

Another thing I liked doing while in my Hetalia phase was Song-shots. In which I listened to a song on repeat and created a story based off of it using the song lines as inbetweeners as a sort of context. You could alternatively do without the context inbetweener. But I dunno. Story based on a song.

Also Ranger don't die! Be strong!

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

DaigurenHyorinmaru wrote:Also Ranger don't die! Be strong!
I'll do my best, but the mint might be stronger :lol:

Guys, look; my main-character was supposed to be kicking a pile of leaves:
‘Snorting, Logue kicked at he knees’
😂

soul wrote:I have two short fan stories I wrote + published on a different site (it's my account). Anyone care to read them?
faithful, now and always
mister lonely

Please note that mister lonely is not finished.
I liked them a lot! I did sometimes get a bit confused as to who was who in Faithful, but I'm tired and coming down with something. So apologies on behalf of my brain, haha. It was so sad, though; I liked how almost-depressing it was. I'm really looking forward to the other one continuing, too. Your style's great. Keep up the good work!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby passione » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 pm

I can't listen to purely instrumental music no matter what. I need a voice to fill the void.

by the way, does anyone have any tips for writing Sonnets? I have to do that next writing class and I am very confused.
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
I WISH I COULD
I WISH I COULD
I WISH I COULD
I WISH I COULD

┌────────────────┐

yo. i'm xia. gone from cs but never
forgotten. find me on fr!

i like jjba, lunch club and bts.
suffering from jschlatt brainrot.

they/them pronouns please

└────────────────┘
LOVE MYSELF
LOVE MYSELF
LOVE MYSELF
LOVE MYSELF
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
passione

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmic-quark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 am

I've written a few- a couple Artemis Fowl ones way back in middle school and then a few Voltron ones more recently. I'm involved in several fandom rps too, which is kinda like writing fanfiction except you're only expected to properly portray one or two characters rather than the whole cast. That's mostly why I prefer writing original fiction- it's much, much easier to depict characters I've spent several years developing, drawing, and writing than somebody else's characters.

I am almost exclusively a fantasy writer (especially considering sci-fi falls under the overarching fantasy umbrella). I haven't had much luck writing high fantasy so far though- almost all of my attempts never got past the development stage. I've mostly written urban fantasy or sci-fi over the last few years. I have a complete first draft of my superhero-themed nanowrimo story waiting for revision, a multi-dimensional ghost-hunting disaster still in development, and a trilogy in progress about alien ship that crash-landed on Earth (although it only crashes at the end of the first book, and the entire novel before that is about two stressed college students trying to decode mysterious signals and also not drop out of senior year). Even my magnum opus, featuring characters I've been developing for a solid five years and a plot that's been reworked too many times to count, is urban fantasy- it's a supernatural thriller in which the main characters sort of start the apocalypse and are immediately astounded by how little changes in the world.

My absolute favorite genre to read is realistic sci-fi. Stuff like The Martian, Jurassic Park + The Lost World, etc. I love love love science (I'm actually studying to be astrophysicist rn), and reading books where vague scientific dreams become reality through actual plausible means fascinates me. Reading books like that makes fantasy seem almost reachable. I also really like how human the characters tend to be, how they seem to come alive on the page. Psychological stuff is really cool too, especially in the context of other genres- books dealing with recovery after an intergalactic war, the frankly terrible social implications of a universe with soulmates, the realities of being a child soldier (because yes, almost all of those 17 year old protagonists and dystopian heroines are by definition child soldiers), etc. I like when books give real, defined consequences to all the horrors YA lit has desensitized us to. No adult would just brush off half the things those protagonists go through, much less some teenager. Psychological horror is also fun.

Like seemingly everyone else on this thread, I'm not a fan of romance (although as an aromantic asexual, I'm definitely biased). The books tend to be cliche and sappy, and you could switch any protagonist with another one with absolutely no noticeable difference. The plot also usually usually revolves around manufactured drama, which was never appealing to me. I did try to write a romance short story for camp nano though, mostly because I strongly believe you can't be a good writer without stepping out of your comfort zone. It was kind of a satire on the manic pixie dream girl trope, since the relationship had somewhat of a power imbalance and ended up being extremely unhealthy. I couldn't resist making it urban fantasy too- the girl was technically immortal. I never connected to it though, and ended up not even finishing it. (Interestingly enough, this was the only story I wrote in the past five years where the main romance was between two characters of the opposite genders, though neither were heterosexual.)

Other than romance, my other least favorite genre to read is surprisingly fantasy. Or, specifically, YA lit fantasy. I love most of the big name fantasy (Harry Potter, PJATO, The Raven Cycle, etc), but I would almost never pick up a fantasy book that wasn't big name. The plots tend to be fairly cliche, the characters read like they were all made from the same mold, and the romance is predictable beyond belief. And if there's a love triangle? Forget about it. I'm tired of reading about the same cast of straight white teens with the collective personalities of a brick wall. The unnecessary emphasis on romance especially throws me off. I try to stick to indie authors or online publication with fantasy.

Considering the cultural origin of both of these, I absolutely do not understand this new trend. I like reading about vampires and werewolves, but sexualizing literal monsters just doesn't make any sense. What's the appeal? My favorite supernatural novels portray them as what they really are- dangerous. I especially like Guillermo del Toro's series The Strain, The Fall, and The Night Eternal about a hostile vampire takeover of the Earth. Fair warning though- this is very much an adult book and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not prepared for excessive violence and some sexual situations.

I tend not to listen to music at all when I'm writing, but I definitely prefer lyrical. I just listen to one of my playlists on my phone and the words are so familiar, I don't really have to pay attention to them. It helps block out any distractions and actually focus on my writing for once. It can also help get me in the mood for a certain scene if I'm struggling with it, though generally I try drawing it out first.

@anxious ghost
@Ranger of the North

Personally, I like to start out with the characters and a vague idea of the surrounding world. I usually sketch out some ideas until I come up with an interesting character design and then draw them in different scenarios. By the time I actually have them developed with a fairly solid personality, I usually have a pretty good idea of what kind of world they live in. Then I sketch out a few more characters (bc showing character relationships makes for a much stronger artwork and a much more realistic work of fiction) until I have a vague cast.

This is when I usually come up with the plot. I start by asking myself what the characters can do in the world I placed them in. Is there somewhere to go? A goal to reach? A danger to avoid? Then, I figure out what each character wants. Temporary goals can help characterize, but ultimate goals are the key to finding the plot. Once I figure out what the main character(s) want, I decide on how they get it and what obstacles they have to face first. The main character's goal is almost always the most important, but other characters have to be considered too.

This is usually when I start working on the actual outline and the plot becomes more defined. This is also, unfortunately, when I start cutting characters. Every character has to be justified in a novel; if they don't serve a purpose or their removal wouldn't affect the novel, they don't need to be there. I try to ask myself three basic questions for each character: Are they an interesting, realistic, and well-developed character with an understandable motivation? Do they have a justifiable reason for being there (both in the narrative itself and in their placement in the story, such as tagging along on a quest or helping retrieve an artefact)? Do they affect the main plot and other characters' decisions in a significant way? If I can't answer "yes" to all three questions, then I cut out the character (or at the very least drastically edit their role and characterization).

When I'm satisfied with my outline, I go back and flesh out the minor details. Continuity is especially important here. I also try to make sure I have 2-3 subplots that contribute to various character arcs and development without distracting from the main story. The entire process generally lasts a month or two, though I can finish it in less than a week if I'm in a rush to start writing (like this year's nanowrimo oops). Then, I take a break from the story for at least a week and at most a few months before revistiting it. If I'm still interested in the story and satisfied with the plot, I start writing.

Hope that helped!

I have a few questions for you guys too!

Code: Select all
[b]What's in your writer's survival kit?[/b]
[b]Are there any stories you're putting off writing? Why?[/b]
[b]What would you consider your magnum opus?[/b]
[b]What are your favorite character tropes to use in your writing? To see in other writing?[/b]
[b]Do you prefer developing characters or plot first? Why?[/b]
[b]What do you do to help get you "in the mood"?[/b]
          ImageImageImageImageImageImage
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          cosmic-quark
          she/her aro ace
          future astrophysicist
          Buying characters!
          Design Contest!
          ╰━━━━━━━╯