Flo's Challenge to me

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 am

"Do. Not. Touch. That.

805 words

Achran strained his ears, listening to the soft sound of brush against scroll, then grinned, touching the small pouch of seeds in his pocket.

"Ello!"

Adrian and Avery both jumped as Achran slammed the door open, his arms flung wide, bag of seeds dangling from his hand.
"Ah come bearin' gifts!"
"Achran get out," Avery scowled down at him from her perch on the table.
"Ah what? Ya don't want the sweet seeds Lionel sent ya?" Achran bounded up onto the bed and Adrian and Avery curled together on the edge of the table, blocking him from jumping up.
"No, we don't becaussse Lionel didn't sssend the ssseedss," Adrian hissed, drawing himself up and glaring down at the squirrel "You're just trying to steal the inkpot again."
"Whaa? Me!?" Achran draped a paw over his chest as if wounded "Ah'd ne're do sich a-"
"You did it twenty minutes ago!" Adrian yelped "You haven't even dried off from when we pushed you into the pond!"

"Ehh..." he glanced down at his damp vest "Seeds!"
He ripped the bag open and sent the seeds showing into their eyes.
As they tumbled backwards, wings thrashing coils twisting, and Achran took a flying leap over them, landing in the midst of their papers and scattering them across the table while he lunged for the inkpot.
"Don't touch that!" Avery screeched as Achran wrapped his fingers around the pot and spilled ink across the table and splattered it into Adrian and Avery's faces.
Blinded and angry, Avery lashed out, trying to grab Achran, but nimbly he danced aside and thrown off balance she accidently threw herself off the table.
As she crashed to the floor Adrian slipped off the desk, trying to trouble away the ink from his eyes and fell to the bed with a thump.
Achran's high-pitched laughter grated in their ears as he bounced off the desk and out the door, covered in ink and the pot tucked under his arm.

With a spluttering gasp, Avery spat out the ink and blinked it out of her eyes, while Adrian rubbed his face on the blankets.
Their gaze met simultaniously.
"Get him."

Breathlessly Achran raced along the spine of the vaulted roof, giggling, even though he knew he had seconds before Adrian and Avery gave chase.

He slid down the side of the roof, free falling down towards an open balcony, where a red furred squirrel lady was sweeping while her blond child giggled and danced in circles, swirling a red ribbon around her.

He landed on the railing, arms widespread, startling Freya into dropping the broom.
"Let me get that for ya," he tumbled to the ground, snatched the broom and in the same movment returned it to her with a cheerful grin "There ya are!"
He started to move away, but she caught his wrist "You're covered in ink!"
"Oh..." he tugged away from her "Ehh...Just an-"
"Really? Again!? Not even ten minutes later!?"
"I'm jest a wee bit bored," he tapped his pocket "And besides, they could use some exercise, not good for 'em ta sit inside all day."
"It's not them I'm worried about," she said with a meaningful glance towards Ariel "You're setting an example
"Eh... oh..." he hesitated "It's jest a bit of f-"

He was cut off abruptly by a clump of ink streaked feathers descending into him.
Freya jumped as Avery perched on Achran's chest, pinning him to the ground while Adrian relived him of the purloined inkpot.
"Ey..." Achran struggled for breath "Wasn't that fun now?"
"No. No it wasss not," Adrian hissed.
"Should we dump him in the pond or-" Avery was cut off by Freya clearing her throat. Loudly.

"Are we playing a game?"
Achran grinned triumphantly as Adrian faltered.
"Um...Yesss, Ariel...Jussst....a bit of tag...?" Adrian shot Avery a glance and with a squawkish growl she moved off his chest with a false smile nailed to her beak.

"Can I play?" Ariel grinned down at her father and tugged on his ear.
"Aye! That ya can," Achran swept her up in his arms with a snicker "How about we play teams? You and Avery, me and Adrian."
"How about-" Adrian said curling up on Avery's back "You two play by yourselves and let us work on our extremely important scribe duties?"
"How about when you're done?" Ariel tipped her head, eyes sparkling.
Adrian sighed, melting a little "Maybe."
"Aww, Uncle Adrian's nae fun," Achran's ruffled Ariel's tufted ears "C'mon, I'll play with ya right naow!"
"Yeah!"

"Well, at least you won't bother you for now," Freya went back to sleep as her husband and daughter dashed off, giggling hysterically.
"For now," Avery sighed, spreading her wings "Mind warning us when he get's bored?"
Freya laughed "Sure. Not get out of here, you're dripping ink everywhere."
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Flo's Challenge to me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Oh, Achran's fun XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:00 am

He's unbelievably enjoyable to write. He's also like Adrian and Avery's unbelievably annoying older brother. They love/hate him XD

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:11 am

"Maybe just one more slice..."
"Are you done, Arithcity?"
Without waiting for an answer Kenan began reaching for her plate, but her fingers clamped around the rim, preventing him from lifting it.
"Not done yet Dad," she garbled past her third dumpling.
"But...your plate's empty."
"I'm going to get some more."
"More?" Kenan blinked "You aren't done?"
"No I'm still hungry," she stood up "I'm going to get some more."
"The food's all inside," Rowan piped from his grassy seat next to her.
"I'll just go grab a little bit more Dad, m'kay?"
"Only a little," Kenan stressed as Arithcity bounced off.
Rowan laughed as Kenan sank back down
"I don't think she heard you."
"She did, but she will claim that she did not when she returns with far more than "a little bit".
"She's growing."
"I fear her appetite far outweighs her growth and soon instead of upwards she'll grow sideways."
Rowan laughed again "Better than shrinking!"
Kenan cast a heavily dubious glance at his brother-in-law and shook his head.

Arithicity flounced through the empty kitchens, slowing as she came to the counters loaded with empty and half finished dishes.
She was just reaching for a sweet roll when a rough old voice cleared the silence.
"What are you doing young lady?"
She jumped, then giggled as she identified the voice as coming from a crumpled old shadow leaning against the corner.
"Hello Grandfather!"
"Hello Ari," he chuckled softly as he leaned out on his stick and hobbled closer to her "Come for seconds?"
"Uh..." she laughed "More like thirds?"
"That's my girl," he patted her shoulder "What're you getting?"
"Well, sweet rolls and umm," she frowned "some more sticky rice and I want some more salmon and more seaweed wraps and some of this...."
Lionel laughed as he watched her pile on what could've been considered an entire meal "All that for thirds?"
"Yup," she pulled up a chair from the little table in the corner of the kitchen "Quiiange says I'm going to get fat and I should just eat seaweed and rice."
Lionel snorted and shook his head as he sat next to her "I think he's just jealous that you get to eat so much more good food than he does."
"Me too," she mumbled past her chopsticks, then she swallowed "He's so grumpy all the time."
"Hmm, he should eat some more sweet rolls. Does your mom make sweet rolls?"
"Umm, sometimes," Arithcity finished her seaweed wraps and started on her sweet rolls "She doesn't make a lot of goodies, just normal stuff."
"What?" Lionel feighned an overreaction "No sweets?"
Arithcity giggled "No, she's too busy with the garden."
"Oh! She's just like your grandmother, she could be happy just eating carrots and mushrooms."
"Yeah! That's just how she is! But she likes flowers too."
"Mm-hm," Lionel stole a bit off her sweet roll "You could cook some yourself, does Aurora let you use the kitchen by yourself?"
"Oh, I don't know how to cook."
Lionel coughed on his bit of sweet roll "What!?"
She froze, sweet roll half-way to her mouth "Mom hasn't taught me how to cook. I can sew though."
"Stand up," he said authoritativly, clutching at his stick "lessons start now Ari."
She gasped softly and abandonded her food with a grin spreading like a fire "Really!?"
"Yes, now wash your paws and get an apron on."

"Ari? Ari your parents are looking for you," Freeta called as she trotted into the kitchen, then she stopped short as she saw the two otters leaning together over the oven.
"Oh no," she sighed and walked closer "Lionel what have you done?"
Lionel turned on his old friend with a ferocious glare "Aurora hasn't taught her to cook!"
"Oh my word," Freeta groaned as she hopped up onto a chair "I might as well go tell Rory that she won't see her daughter for the next four months."
"Oh don't be ridiculous, I'm just showing her a few things," he turned back around to guide Arithcity's hand while she stirred the dough "Good girl, almost finished."

She grinned and paused in her stirring to wave at Freeta "Hi Aunt Freeta! Look I'm cooking!"
"I see," Freeta ran her fingers through her tail, straightening her fur "I'd better go tell your parents that they aren't going to leave with you for at least another hour."
"Oh be quiet spoilsport, just until we finish cooking."
"Which will be...how long?"
"At least an..I'm teaching important life skills! This cannot be neglected!"
"She's seven! Aurora's not neglecting her, just waiting until she's responsible enough to handle herself in the kitchen."
"I started teaching Aurora when she was six."
"Yes, but Arithcity is not Aurora."
"I know that but-"
"Hey," Arithcity intterupted their bickering "Is this done yet?"
Lionel paused and turned back to veiw the dough "Perfect! Now, we just need to roll it up into little balls and cook them with oil."
Freeta sighed heavily and slipped slowly off the chair "I'm going to tell your daughter to get comfortable and not come in here unless she wants the biggest talking to in her life."
"Oh hush," he snapped a towl after her as she trotted out on creaking wrists and ankles.

Kenan finally caved to Aurora's pleading looks and went to collect Arithcity from the kitchen, not entirely assured that he himself would escape the 'talking to' Aurora was trying to avoid.

"Dad look!" Arithcity greeted him at the door "I made food!"
He sighed quietly as he crossed the room and smiled tightly "Wonderful Arithcity. But it's time to go now."
"Aww," she frowned down at the cake she and Lionel had made "But don't you want a slice?"
"No thank you Arithcity, I've already had quite enough to eat al-"
He was cut off by Lionel clearing his throat far more loudly than necessary, followed by a hard look.
"I will have a small slice, but then we need to go home."
"Yay! Grandfather can you help me to cut it?"
"Of course Ari," Lionel beamed and gave Kenan a nod "Hold it like this."

Kenan stepped back and couldn't help the small smile that softened his face as he watched Lionel guide Ari's hands as she cut the cake.
Moments like these didn't seem to come as often as they should have, this one he fully intended not to damage.

"Here Daddy," Arithcity held out the plate "Do you like it?"
He picked off a piece and smiled "It's wonderful, Ari, do you want to bring some out to your mother?"
She turned to Lionel "Can we?"
"Of course," Lionel smiled and reached for a second plate "I think she's love some."
Arithcity giggled as she slipped a slice onto the plate "I looooove cooking."

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:21 am

"I like your music the best."
793 words

"Hey, Wes, you have visitors."

Wesley nearly jumped out of his seat at his brother's sudden entrance
"W-what...Who? Who is it?" He asked after catching his breath.
"Darkmoon and Shyshie," Townly frowned "Are you alright?"
"Oh...yes," Wesley tried to laugh, setting down the flute that he had been cleaning "I'm fine. You just startled me. Where are they?"
"Oh, just in the sittibg room chatting with Viper. You want them to come in here?"
"Oh, no," Wesley stood up, clutching the edge of the seat "I'll go see them."
Townly wrapped a supporting arm around his brother's shoulders "Alright, but if you start not feeling well -"
"I'll lay down," Wesley managed a smile "Promise."

"Hi Wes!" Shyshie greeted him brightly as he entered the room, still leaning on Townly.

"Hi Shyshie," he said breathlessly, collapsing into the nearest chair "Hello Miz Darkmoon."

"Heya Whisk," Darkmoon stood up "You look terrible, you sleeping well?"
He laughed "I'm fine. How are you?"
"I am fine, but I have something that might interest you," from the side of her chair she pulled up a black case.
His ears perked up in interest as he recognized the shape "A mandolin?"
She nodded "Found it buried in a closet and I haven't used it in years. Thought maybe you could help me restring it."
"Sure," he stood up and took the case from her "Do you have strings?"
"Yup, they're in the case."

He sat down, clicking open the case "Wow...." he trailed his fingers along the grain of the wood "It's beautiful!"
"Well," Viper stood up before Darkmoon could reply "you lot look like you're going to have fun with this. I'll just put on some tea."
"I'll help you with that," Townly stepped after her "Have fun Wes. You two," he gave Darkmoon and Shyshie pointed looks "Don't let him get too excited."
"We won't," Shyshie promised, settling down next to Wesley "We'll make sure he's a good boy."
Townly and Viper laughed as they left the room and Darkmoon joined them on the floor "So, you can fix it?"
"I think so," he frowned at the mess of broken strings "It'll take a little while but I think it's worth it."

"What songs can you play, Mama?" Shyshie asked as Wesley began unravelling the uselss strings.
"Oh, I don't remember," Darkmoon sighed "Not very many and not very well."
"It's a good instrument," Wesley interjected "You could play just about anything you wanted."
"Well, actually, I was thinking that if you wanted it, you could have it."
"Mama no!" Shyshie exclaimed before Wesley had time to even imagine how lovely the repaired strings would feel beneath his fingers "You're going to play it!"
"Oh Shyshie I don't have time to play it anymore and I'm not very good at it anyways. Wesley will use it much more than I will."
Wesley was quiet as Darkmoon and Shyshie went back and forth, until Shyshie was almost in tears as she tried to convince her mother to keep the mandolin and Darkmoon's voice had gone hard.
"I don't want it!" He exclaimed, bringing the argument to a halt "I don't want the mandolin."
"Wesley-" Darkmoon started, shooting Shyshie a harsh glare.
"No, really," he interrupted "I'd enjoy it more if you kept it. Because, when I play and Shyshie sings sometimes it'd be nice to have another instrument, even if they're just playing chords and you can play a mandolin with pretty much anything."
"I don't have a lot of time-"
"That's okay! Just now and then, when you do have time."
She sighed and made the mistake of glancing into her daughter's melting eyes "Ohhhh....Alright, fine. But compared to the pair of you I'm about as musical as a fish."

Shyshie giggled "You're not that bad."
"You haven't heard me play yet."
"Well, let's find out," Wesley stood up, cradling the mandolin "I just need to tune it and you're all set."

Townly paused outside the music room to listen to the strains of piano and mandolin floating out, his heart jumping at the melodic sound.
"So he fixed it, hmm?" Viper asked, coming up beside him.
"Sounds like it," Townly paused as Shyshie started on the first verse and he had to swallow hard "Would you ever want to listen to anything else?"
Viper smiled "They're beautiful together. Unique."
"Amazing," Townly sighed and peeked into the room.
Wesley at the piano, Shyshie standing next to him, and Darkmoon sitting on a chair across from them, her gloves discarded on the floor as she focused on plucking the proper notes.
"I haven't heard a lot of music, Tess," he leaned against the door frame "But even if I had I know I'd like his the best."
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:22 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:He's unbelievably enjoyable to write. He's also like Adrian and Avery's unbelievably annoying older brother. They love/hate him XD
Hahaha, that sounds great — but I don't envy them XD

HEY! Town & Wesley are back! :D
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:21 pm

Me either,
Yup, figured it was about time I practiced on them a little. XD

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:24 pm

"I did not want this."

Sonya collapsed onto the stone garden bench, no longer able to stifle her sobs. She yanked the tiara off and let it clatter down beside her with a glare. She wished she could blame it as the cause of her emotional afflictions, but really it was just another disappointment.
It had felt light as air when Rusty put it on her head, less than an hour ago, the white gems gleaming like pale stars set in the silver.
For a second, when she had looked at herself in the white dress that spilled down around her like a glittering water, wearing the tiara that graced her head like carved starlight, and the blue shoes that held her feet above the ground and made them look dainty rather than scrawny, she had almost thought she looked pretty.
She had felt like she was floating as Rusty took her arm and guided her through the golden lit hall, his smile sending her heart beyond the stars.

But the sensation had exaporated like smoke when they entered the great hall and suddenly every eye was on her.
Not the dress, not the tiara, not the shoes, but Sonya.
Not Sonya the princess, not Sonya the wife of the heir to the throne, but Sonya the woodcutter, Sonya the Tworan, Sonya the foreigner.
The plain, bland, drab Sonya, and there was silence, not deferential silence for the prince and his wife, but a judgmental pause in the conversation, the sudden choking of a fire as more fuel was piled on.

Then the whispers were roaring around them as they walked through the crowd to the dais and every word burned into her ears.

At first they were like sparks, startling her with their brief sting, but nothing she was really surprised with.

"Quite dull looking isn't she?"
"Odd look in her eyes."
"Like she's staring at the wall."

She ignored them.

But then the flames came, licking out, just singing her fur, but she couldn't escape them.

"Downright ugly."
"What was the Queen thinking, letting him marry a little thing like that."
"Charity case."
"Couldn't even find someone pathetic here, had to go overseas."

She was breathing in the smoke; the forest was on fire and she was trapped.

"It's purely political."
"An heir and a spare then he'll put her away."
"Couldn't possibly love her."
"Do you even think she can have children?"

Her legs were weak, her mind was numb, she needed to escape but she couldn't run.

Then someone, who hadn't noticed how close he'd wandered to the thrones said in a voice louder than he intended
"He feels guilty, just you wait and see, she be with child and no one'll have anything to say when it comes early."

She gasped, the hot dry air slamming into her chest like a burning wave and the entire room went dead silent.
Every eye was locked on her and she couldn't stand it.
Now she could feel her legs and they were moving, kicking against the dress and carrying her through the crowd. They parted before her, a blur of faces and finery.

Now she found herself bawling in the garden, wishing away the world to be back in Twora, in the little cottage with her sister and her parents.
To be back when she was just another wood cutter, stripping away the branches from the trunks of fallen trees, back when she was no one and no one cared.
What she wouldn't give to have her anonymity back, what she wouldn't withhold to not be given a second glance.
The sound of heavy sea boots beating against the walkway interrupted her misery.

"Princess Sonya, are you alright?"
Sonya looked up as Bella walked to her side, tears still running down her face.
"Princess...?"
"I...want...to go home," Sonya gulped as she tried to smear away the tears.
Bella picked up the tiara and took its place on the bench next to Sonya, not speaking as the fox dried away her tears.

Then, when Sonya managed to calm herself enough to breathe easier, the otter said
"I know."

"You know?" Sonya laughed brokenly "I just told you."
Bella didn't answer, her focus on the tiara, which she held in both hands.

Despite her scrambled thoughts and emotions, Sonya noticed something in the slight crease on the edges of Bella's mouth.
"You know or you know what it feels like?"

Bella rested the delicate crown on her knee "Navoire is more different than you were prepared for. In the Gretchel hamlet words were worth something, their weight like sand and their truth like arrows. If it was spoken it was true."

Sonya sniffled "I know that and I know what they say isn't true. But it's what their words mean."

Bella tilted her head, asking the question without pressing Sonya with sounds.

"It's me," she clarified with a choked voice "I'm a disgrace to him."
"No,"Bella's reply was quick and her voice hard "They are a disgrace to themselves and to their mothers. You are brave and you are a testament to your family."

Sonya sniffled "It wouldn't matter if I was pretty."
"Oh Sonya," Bella reached out for her hand "It wouldn't matter, they would still say things, just some of the words would change.
"Why couldn't he have loved my sister?" Sonya continued as if she hadn't heard Bella "Abigail would know how to handle herself. They wouldn't say these things about her."
"Sonya hush!" Bella shot to her feet "It does not matter what your sister would do because she is not here and you should not wish that she was. The love between you and the Captain was meant for the two of you alone. Do not demean it by wanting to replace yourself and do not allow others to disrespect it."

Sonya tucked her ears down tightly under Bella's rebuke and didn't reply, tears slowly leaking down her face.

"Sonya," Bella sat back down, swallowing tightly "Do not think me harsh, but you will never fit in, not here, and they may never accept you. But it matters not."
Sonya shook her head "It does matter."
"No, it does not. Neither does your beauty."
"You mean the lack of it."
Bella looked up at the dark evening sky "Your looks do not need any more pontificating by any of us. So be at peace with it."

Sonya twined her fingers together and shook her head.

Bella let there be quiet and neither of them spoke anymore.

Their tense silence was broken by pounding feet and the sounds of Sonya's name being called.
Bella glanced sideways at the princess, then stood.
"She is over here!"

"Sonya!"
She looked up as Rusty barreled into the garden, breathless, his shirt ripped and the skin under his eye swelling up purple.
He dropped to his knees and gripped her hands "Are you alright?"
She sniffled hard and tried to fit a thin smile over her aching mouth.
"Yes. I'm...alright...what did you do...to your eye?"

He laughed a bit "I uh...I was-am mad about what that bucket of clam slim and I tried to...go after him. Mum called the guards. On me and one of the guards was less than careful with the end of his spear."
"Oh Rusty!" She felt torn between bursting into laughter and bursting into tears.
"Yeah," he grinned, sensing her laughter "Clutzy me huh? Are you sure you're alright?"
She took in a long breath "As long as I don't have to go back in there."

"You don't have to worry about that," said a young voice from behind them and Shyshie trotted up besides them "The Queen's sent everyone home and called off the party."
The little cat, wearing her coat pulled herself up alongside Sonya with a bright, but kind smile "So, now we can have a nice dinner and not bother with all the awfully dull people."
"That's nice," Sonya managed a watery but genuine smile "Who stayed?"
Shyshie shrugged "Trevoiants, Sincs, Whisks, and Mama and me."
"Great, all the creatures who actually like me!" Without warning Rusty wrapped his arms around Sonya and lifted her up like a child.
She laughed, letting her pain fade as Rusty carried her back to the nearly empty hall, were sincere smiles and concern surrounded her.
She closed her eyes and beamed as they started eating.
She didn't want to think about what the future would bring, about the other times she would face the judgement of the crowd, she hadn't asked for all that.
But then again she had never asked for someone to love her.
She had never asked for friends.
She had both now.
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 am

"Now wait a second buster."
The character in this is from a closed species called Katkins

796 words

The heat rolled off the sand into the chilling night, lending an air of comfort to Shoshin's makeshift camp.
She leaned beneath her tent, a length of canvas stretched over her walking stick and weighted down by a scoop of sand.
Her eyes where half-closed and her arms limp, giving off the appearance of drifting dangerously close to the dreamy shores of sleep. But her grip on the handle of her machete, though lose, was still coiled and prepared to slice at the slightest instance.

Any second she could be tested, sounded out for her alertness, and she would have to respond with instant decisions.
The constant vigil she forced upon herself, while fighting off sleep, lasted throughout the night, while wearing down quickly on her reserves.
The moon began to descend and while the sky went pitch black, casting the surrounding desert into a darkness like the corner of a silent storm.

Biting her lip, the pain bringing her back to a higher wakefulness, Shoshin held her bleary eyes open, expecting at any moment the attack to come.
But as the darkness began to wane and the east began to rise pale and rosy, there had been no sign of hostile intent and she was exhausted.

With fumbling fingers, she folded up the canvas tent and placed it into her backpack, gripped the walking stick in a weak hold and struck out towards the south, where the stones of passage marked her destination.

The light was thin and played tricks with her weary mind, but she still had the presence of mind to travel with her knife in one hand.
The sand clogged her steps, becoming a nuisance like never before.

She expected the attack to come while then, while she was weary and the light was still young, but as she walked out of the predawn into the blazing morning, she was still untested.

She hit along the southern road after the sun had begun its searing conquest of the sky, and the heat held heavy on her flagging senses.
A narrow wall ran along the road, holding back the shifting sands and provide a meager shade against the ruthless heavens.
Shoshin all but collapsed against its hard embrace and with took a slow draught of water from her bottle.
She'd have to wait out the long hours of heat here and hope that sleep didn't claim her.

But the inactivity partnered with the sleeplessness of the night before slowly drew her into a doze despite her admonitions.
Her mind rested, but still the agonies of wondering when her time would come held some part of her sentient and that was what saved her from total failure.

Her ears caught the slight crunch of feet in the sand and it came to her mind that danger was close at hand.
Starting awake, she clenched her machete and swung her staff, leaping to her feet.
Three bandits, their faces obscured with long swaths of cloth charged her, each bearing a long knife.

The hours and hours of training replayed automatically as she struck out, half blind at the nearest one.
He was fully alert and her wild cut missed him as he sidestepped easily.

The other two, she managed to ward away for a few seconds with her staff before they where again attacking.
But now her mind was clear and with a sharper move, she whirled around, catching one of them full in the stomach. He fell, sobbing for breath.
But her move had left her open, allowing the first one to dash in close, and press his knife against her throat.

Gasping in shock and anger, she was forced to lower her blade and staff in defeat.
She'd failed.

But even as her weapons lowered, the razor edge slipped closer to her skin, drawing blood.
Her eyes widened with a slight choking noise.
It wasn't suppose to go this far. This was just a test. A training maneuver.

A long yell sprang up from behind them and a pair of katkins, dressed in full ranger's attire charged headlong, taking the two remaining bandits by surprise.

Shoshin fell to the ground, gasping, clutching at the blood flowing out onto her chest.
"Easy girl," One of the rangers soothed, easing the young katkin upright "Easy, let me see that."
"What... what happened?"

He dabbed at the wound with a clean white cloth "There was a surprise attack, delaying us from testing you. Those bandits where for real Rahma."

"I still failed."
"Don't worry girl, you'll get a rematch."
"But-"
"Hey," he smiled kindly "It'll be alright. Those guys you just faced? Twice what we were going to put you through. You'll get a rematch and a fair one. And all things considered you did good.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:18 am

"YOU JUST TOUCHED IT!"

788 words

"Do it, I dare you."
"No."
"If I dare you, then you have to do it."
"No I don't."
"Yes you do."
"How come?"
Because I'm older."
"But you're shorter."
"So? I'm still older. That means you have to do what I say."
Jonathan crossed his arms and glared down at his sister "It does not!"
"Does too!" Allegra stood on tiptoes, trying to meet his eyes "I can tell you to do whatever. So go touch it."
"You can not."
She fisted her paws and planted her paws on her hips "But don't you want to feel it? It's so smooth."
"Did you touch it?" Jonathan glanced uneasily into their grandfather's darkened study where the gray stone gleamed dimly.
"I did," Allegra grinned mischievously "It feels like silk."
"Silk? What does silk feel like?"
"Like smooth soft water."
Jonthan glanced in again "You didn't really touch it did you."
"Yes I did!" She exclaimed indignantly "I went right in and touched it."
"Liar."
"I'm not a liar!"
"Oh really? Prove it!"
She hesitated, then stuck her tongue out at her brother and without a second thought sashayed into the dark room.
Jonathan watched in shock as she spun around to face him while her finger hovered over the surface of the stone.

"Don't touch it."
Jonathan and Allegra both nearly jumped out of their fur as Terrimine's deep voice rumbled out of the shadows.
Allegra yelped and bolted for the door, but a quick paw gripped the back of her collar and pulled her back.

At a harsh bespectacled glare, Jonathan edged in, his head tilted dow with guilt and his tail dragging.

Terrimine sat down, still holding Allegra, and lit the candle on his desk.
"Now what on earth do you two think you're doing?"
Jonathan shot an accusatory glance at his sister, who was still trying to wiggle out of Terrimine's grip.
"Jon-athan?"
"It was her idea!"
Terrimine raised an eyebrow "Her idea to what?"
Jonathan mumbled an indistinct reply.
"Hmm," Terrimine turned to his granddaughter "What were you doing Allegra?"
"Just looking! Just looking at the rock!"
Terrimine frowned fiercely at her "Oh? That wasn't what it looked like Allie."
She looked down a her paws.
"Allie...Allegra look at me."
she squirmed and turned her head to stare out the door.
"Allegra were you going to touch it?"

"She was," Jonathan confirmed, avoiding the angry look Allegra shot him.
I was only going to touch it a little bit Granddad! I wouldn't pick it up or break it!"
"But you didn't have permission to touch it Allie-"
"She wanted me to touch it!" Jonathan burst out "She said I had to because she dared me and because she's older than me."
"You do! Because I'm older and I'm going to be Queen!"
"Well good," Jonathan snapped "I don't even want to be King!"
"What?"
They both looked towards their grandfather as he exclaimed in surprise.
"What?" Allegra chirped, ears askew "I'm gonna be Queen and he's not gonna be King."
"Yes he is," Terrimine shook his head "How have you not learned this yet?"
"Learned what?" Jonathan sat down and craned his neck up.
Terrimine sighed and relaxed his grip on Allegra's dress.
"Alright, in Navoire when there are twins as the firstborn then they have to rule together."
What!?" Allegra squawked, her back tightening and her ears shooting straight up "You mean I'm stuck with him?!"
Terrimine laughed a bit "Afraid so Allie."
"But, what if I don't want to be a king?" Jonathan asked, his ears tucking down "What if I just wanna be a prince? Or... a captain?
"Well, technically you could abdicate, but that would mean that Allegra would have to abdicate too. So really, the only way would be...if you died."
Terrimine's attention was drawn away from Allegra as Jonathan's mouth fell open.
"Sorry Jonathan."
"But...but... I don't want to be king!"
"I know, but you don't have to worry about that for a long time. You just need to learn how to obey, like not touching a rock without permission. Hmm, Allegra?
He turned his head to see if his granddaughter was paying attention and found that both her hands were pressed against the stone.
"Allegra!"
She jumped and yanked her hands back "I didn't touch it!"
"You just touched it! I saw you!"

Instead of trying to uselessly defend herself Allegra jumped off his lap, just a second quicker than he was and dashed out the door.

Exasperated Terrimine looked down at his grandson, who was still staring after his sister in surprise.
"She might need your help ruling the kingdom Jonathan."
The young fox sighed "But then I might need help helping her."
"Indeed you might."

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me