Misfits of Vernada

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Misfits of Vernada

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:34 am

Misfits of Vernada

Dragons Moon and Zappy have lived together all their lives. But now they are old enough to be taken to their different tribes. There is one problem; their tribes hate each other.

Moon is a Stormrider. Often depressed and sad, she is happy to have her best friend around to help her. She longs to live somewhere where she and Zappy live side by side and happily.

Zappy is a Sharpshooter. He thinks there is almost nothing better than hanging out with his friend Moon and making her laugh. But the day of their separation looms ever nearer, will he be able to survive?

They are both not typical of their tribes, and both think differently. Can they work together to bring peace between their tribes? Or will they have to fight each other to the death? And who are the dragons from each tribe who fly together?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm writing this story with my friend, Ranger of the North. I'm writing the story from Moon's PoV, and she's writing Zappy. Feel free to post on the thread, in fact, please do!
Last edited by Woogwoo Wren on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Misfits of Vernada

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 am

Chapter one

Moon

Her head on her paws and her wings dropping down her back, a small dragon watched the moon as it shone in the sky.

"Why'd he have to ruin today?' she thought, a tear dripping down her purple muzzle. 'My hatching day of all days.'

"Moon," a voice called from in the cave she was sitting in the entrance of. The owner of the voice, a bronze dragon called Zappy, walked out from the cave. "Hey Moon, you okay?" he asked, settling down beside her.

Turning her head to look at him, she shrugged.

"Sparkles just has to ruin every thing, doesn't he," she said with a sigh.

"You're still worried about that?" Zappy asked, gently laying his tail on hers. He was careful not to cut her tail with the large circular disks at the end of his.

Moon nodded.

"It's my last hatching day with you!" she said, turning back to the moon. "I just wanted it to go perfectly."

"Sometimes things don't go perfectly," Zappy said. "And besides, my hatching day is still to some."

Moon yawned, revealing her venomous teeth. She turned, scratching at a spot on her belly with the small horn on her head.

"Yeah." She sighed again. "I guess I'm also worried that all the other Stormriders will be like Sparkles."

Zappy snorted.
"Huh, at least they wouldn't be wusses like my tribe," he said, grinning.

"Mmmm," Moon muttered, yawning again. "He just came barging in lime he owned the place. Burning my favourite scrolls and books. He even ate the cake!" she cried, lashing her tail.

"Calm down Moon. It's over now. And I'm sure that the Stormrider city will be way bigger then here, and you can stay away from him."

"Huh, with my luck, the Stormriders will decide who gets who as mates, and he'll have to be mine," Moon muttered, and yawned again.

Zappy had to laugh.

"I doubt it," he said, grinning. "Come on, you seen really tired. Let's go to sleep." He stood and walked inside. Moon followed with another yawn.

################

The next morning, Moon woke before dawn. She lay in her nest for a while, listing to Zappy's steady breathing. She was so glad that her egg had been placed in the same cave as his. The colourless Egg Guardians tried to keep the two tribes apart, but sometimes they made mistakes.

Zappy was different to the other Sharpshooters she had met in the large cliffs. For one he was bronze, not the usual golds, blues, and greens most of his tribe were.
For another, he wasn't as much of a wuss as most Sharpshooters.

He was cheerful and friendly, always ready to cheer the often down Moon.
Moon herself was easily discouraged, and the black Stormrider, Sparkles, did nothing to help her cheer up.

When Sparkles chose his name, he was still a NoColour, and he said, "I like things that sparkle, and I want to sparkle too!" So he had called himself Sparkles. But when he saw the inky black that began to take over his scales at four years, he grew angry.
"I'm never going to sparkle with these colours! I will change my name to Fang." But the Egg Guardians told him that he would get a new name once he was in his tribe. After that he grew surly and grumpy, often bullying the younger dragons, and Moon and Zappy.

"Moony Moony Moony Moon!" a cry pulled Moon from her thoughts. One of the older NoColours, a young dragon called Cricket, bowled into her, waking Zappy.

"Hey Cricket," Zappy called, yawning loudly.

Ignoring the Sharpshooter, Cricket turned to Moon.
"Loooook!" he shouted, turning to reveal a tiny spot of red. "I'ma Stormrider!" He kept up and flew to the roof of the cave, then back down again.

"Yay!" Moon said, she was glad that Cricket would be coming with her. "Do you want to come with Me and Zappy to visit the NoFlyers?" she asked.

"Blech, no thanks! They might me Sharpshooters!" he cried, shuddering.

"Sharpshooters aren't that bad!" Moon cried, sticking up for her friend. "You've been spending far to much time around the Egg Guardians."

The Egg Guardians were dragons that never grew out of the NoColour stage. They stayed colourless and without a tribe. So, they looked after the eggs.

"Huh, isn't that what I'm supposed to do?" Cricket asked. "Anyway, I need to go tell Steam."
He flicked his tail in farewell, leaping off the cliff the cave was in. They saw him soaring up soon, and he flew to another cave.

The huge cliff in which they had lived all their lives was pocketed with cave and tunnels. Two to four hatchlings of around the same age lived in each one, and they stayed in that cave until they could fly, at a year.

It was these dragons that Zappy and Moon were going to visit.

"Come on," Zappy said, walking to the edge of their cave. He dove off, angling his wings so that he could fly. Moon dove after him, waiting till she nearly hit the ground before catching herself.

"Okay!" she cried, flying up to the level Zappy was. Together they flew to the NoFlyers' caves.
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:19 am

Chapter Two

Zappy

xxxxxZappy sped into the appropriate cave only just ahead of Moon. He laughed mischievously “I finally bet you! You must be getting old!”
xxxxxMoon growled, but couldn’t suppress a snigger. “You bet me ‘cause I dove down, nutty,” she said. “We’re the same age, anyway.”
xxxxxZappy put on a shocked face, trying not to grin. “No way!” he protested. “You’re way older than me!”
xxxxxMoon let loose her silver laugh. “Only by three months, crazy!”
xxxxxZappy grinned.
xxxxx“You done yet?” a small, colourless dragon asked from the corner, a teasing smile on her face. “’T’s not good manners to ignore your hosts,” she added pompously.
xxxxxMoon batted the little hatchling lightly.
xxxxx“We were getting to that, little’un, hold your horses,” Zappy grinned. “Or eat them, on second thoughts.”
xxxxxShe snorted. “Very funny.”
xxxxxAnother NoFlyer scrambled out of his little nest of bedding, yawning loudly. “What are we doing today?” he asked eagerly.
xxxxx“I was thinking we could go to the Scroll-room,” Zappy suggested.
xxxxxHe quite liked the little flightless hatchlings. Partly because he could still vaguely remember being a NoFlyer himself, stuck in the same old cave day after day until his wings grew strong-and big enough-to hold him aloft except for now and then when an older dragon took notice and flew him and Moon down to explore.
xxxxxThe other dragons nodded in agreement, but before they could move, a deep bell-toll rang out.
xxxxx“Oh no,” Moon and Zappy groaned at the same time.
xxxxx“Time for Hate-Sessions,” Zappy added resignedly.
xxxxxThe first little hatchling stared at them curiously. “What’re ‘Hate-Sessions?’” she asked.
xxxxx“It’s actually school, Fluff,” he explained, “but the main subject is how ‘awful the other tribe is’.”
xxxxx“A complete load of tripe,” Moon rolled her eyes. “Sharpshooters are pretty cool, actually.”
xxxxx“I’ll say,” Zappy agreed, then grinned. “Just kidding, sometimes I wish I was a Stormrider, especially when Sparkles gets in a mood. Which he usually is,” he added. “I’d love to be a bit braver.”
xxxxxMoon beat her wings impatiently. “Come on, we’re gonna be late.”
xxxxxZappy said a quick good-bye to Fluff and Buddy-he always had trouble keeping a straight face over Fluff’s name, hoping she wouldn’t regret it too badly when she got older-and leapt out of the cave after Moon’s departing tail. He spread his wings, feeling the wind from his passage ruffling the small, feather-like scales on them, and tried to keep up.
xxxxxA minute or two later they swooped through the wide hall into a smaller cave, hurriedly chomped down a little food and sped away toward the class-rooms.

# # # # # # # # # # # # #

xxxxxZappy touched down in a plain stone hall and darted into the cave on the left-Moon went right. He made his way to his own specific corner, weaving among the other young dragons, and sat sheepishly, trying to ignore the NoColour teacher’s glare.
xxxxxThe NoColour teachers, or Egg-Guardians, stayed colourless unlike most dragons, and were sort of their own tribe. There didn’t seem to be any set pattern as to what eggs hatched them when. It was random.
xxxxxZappy hated being late, but he also hated the daily lessons. They were mostly a waste of time, since this class’s teacher, Leech, pretty much just picked on the Stormriders.
xxxxxHe rolled his eyes as she began in her rough, grating voice.
xxxxxPricking his ears only when she said something that was actually interesting, he mostly just day-dreamed, trying to tune out her abuse. He knew Moon was enduring the same nonsense about Sharpshooters. What enraged them both the most, was that their classmates-all from the same tribe-would mutter their agreement quite often.
xxxxxWhen that session was over, Zappy was one of the first out the door. He made his way down the hall to the second classroom, running into Moon who was just leaving the room opposite.
xxxxx“How’d it go? You all right?” he asked.
xxxxxShe snorted, “I’ll survive.”
xxxxxThe next class was a lot better. It was actually useful stuff that Zappy would need to know when he grew up. Like memorizing a map of his tribe’s territory. And what wind currents blew where at certain times of the day. And the plant that helped his body create acetylene for fire.
xxxxxAt the end of the session, the teacher had an important announcement to make. He sent the young NoColours and those with only patches of colour out of the room first, then said, “As you are now all fully coloured, in about six months the seniors of your tribe will come to collect you and take you to your real home to meet your families and teach you how to fight. Ish.
xxxxx“When you are fit for combat, you will have to kill a Stormrider to be accepted into your tribe.” He noticed the concerned looks on several snouts and added, “Then you’ll probably be allowed to do nothing but sleep for a few months.”
xxxxxThe room let out a collective sigh of relief, but Zappy was shocked.
xxxxxAs the older dragon dismissed them he rushed toward the door, eager to get out and process this new information, but someone shoved roughly at his shoulder. He knew without looking that it was the lime-green hatchling named Twinkly-Star. She was only a few months old when she’d named herself-and regretted it since she was a year old. The older dragons, Sparkles included, picked on her constantly for her silly choice, and as a result she had grown bitter and nasty.
xxxxx“I guess now you’ll have to stop hanging around that Stormrider.” She uttered the word with scorn and smirked as he turned to face her. “Wake up, Zappy, get your head out of the clouds,” she added nastily. “We don’t get along, eventually you two’ll end up turning on each other anyway, just give up now and become a Sharpshooter for once.” She laughed mockingly. “I bet you won’t, though, oh well, don’t say I didn’t warn ya when you’re kicked out.” She turned and swaggered away, leaving Zappy to shake his head in exasperation before charging out the door to the jeers of the Stormriders opposite.
xxxxx“Run, little Sharpshooter!” he heard one yell. “I’ll be justified in killing you soon. Run while you still can!”
xxxxxHe snorted scornfully and zigzagged among the other hatchlings, not looking for Moon: he knew where she would be. He made his way to their den before pulling aside a rock leaning against the far wall. He slipped inside the passage behind, tugged the rock back into place and made his way up the long, sloping passage, the blades and scales on his tail scraping on the rock walls and combining to create a harsh rattle.
xxxxxHe emerged into the open air a moment later and saw Moon’s purple form huddled at the end of the rock ledge he was now standing on.
xxxxxThe ledge was the only free outside air the hatchlings had access to, and even then it was a secret, not even Cricket knew about it. The only times they were actually allowed outside, was now and then under constant guard to practise flying into the wind.
xxxxx“You all right?” he asked, making his way over to her. Curling beside her, he again draped his tail over hers.
xxxxxShe shrugged. “It’s so weird.”
xxxxx“Yeah,” he agreed, “I mean, I knew we were s’posed to be enemies and all, but I thought it was like us hatchlings. Y’know, semi friends but occasionally a small argument here and there. But now it’s like a full-out war and I’m gonna have to kill a Stormrider to even belong in my own tribe!”
xxxxxMoon sat up. “Really? That’s what I’m gonna have to do, but I thought it was just a Stormrider thing, the NoColour teachers always give the impression you guys are super docile compared to us. That’s odd.”
xxxxxZappy shrugged dismissively. “Meh, it’s prob’ly just to make sure we can actually defend the tribe. And sleep for a couple months afterward,” he added, thinking of his classmates.
xxxxxMoon laughed. “I guess. But what makes you say that?”
xxxxxZappy explained.
xxxxx“Sharpshooters,” she chuckled. Then added quickly, “In a good way of course.”
xxxxxZappy batted her lightly with his wing and stood, stretching on the sun-warmed rock. He tensed suddenly, looking up at the sky.
xxxxx“Moon, look,” he hissed.
xxxxxMoon rose, hearing his urgency. She squinted in the direction he was facing and frowned.
xxxxx“Sharpshooters,” she said. “I thought this tunnel was in Stormrider territory.”
xxxxxZappy nodded, puzzled. “It is.” He leaned forward suddenly. “Hang on, orange!”
xxxxxHe realized Moon was staring at him. “What?” he asked.
xxxxxOrange,” she repeated. “What?!”
xxxxxZappy couldn’t be bothered grinning at her quizzical, ‘are-you-crazy tone’, he was too confused.
xxxxx“An orange dragon,” he explained. “That’s a Stormrider! What’re Sharpshooters and Stormriders doing together? I mean, apart from us.”
xxxxxMoon shrugged.
xxxxxZappy gasped suddenly. “They’re coming this way! Quick, Moon, hide! They’ll see us!” He darted back into the passage, and then, realizing Moon wasn’t with him, he cautiously poked his head back out. “What’re you doing?” he hissed.
xxxxx“I don’t think they’re coming over this far,” she replied, but snuck inside anyway to re-assure him.
xxxxx“We’d better get back,” Zappy said. “Someone might realize we’re gone.”
xxxxxMoon seemed reluctant to, but she rolled her eyes and agreed. “Fine. I doubt they will, though.”
xxxxxZappy turned and made his way down the passage, dreading the fatal month to come, but thankful that he still had several to spend with Moon and his other friends.
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:16 am

Chapter three

Moon

Moon stayed awake longer then Zappy that night, as she usually did. She often slept less then he did, waking earlier then him and getting to sleep later.

But she didn't mind, it gave her a chance to think about the day. And today she had a lot to think about.

First of all there was the news that she would have to kill a Sharpshooter to be accepted into the Stormrider tribe. That was one thing she didn't want to do.

Then there was the group of dragons from both tribes that they had seen flying past. What was up with that? Maybe one was the prisoner of the other, but that didn't make sense. From what she'd heard, it was more likely that they would fight, not take the other as prisoners!
Moon sighed, rolling over. She tossed and turned, trying to sleep. Suddenly she felt the need to go outside and see the moon that she had named herself after.

She slipped out of her nest and padded towards the hidden tunnel. Carefully she opened it, trying not to make much noise. She slipped through and closed it behind her.

It was a clear night, and the moon was nearly full. She smiled, remembering when she had first found the tunnel and slipped out under it, a tiny hatchling. She had seen the moon, and felt a connection to it. Asking the older hatchlings, and some of the EggGardians, she had found out it's name and called herself that.

It was peaceful out there, and Moon felt her worries fad away. She closed her eyes and breathed in the night air. When she opened them again, she stared into two great golden eyes.

"Eep!" Moon cried, jumping back.

"Hey! I won't hurt you, wait," the dragon belonging to the eyes called.

"I'm not scared, you just startled me," Moon snapped, having a good look at him.
He was a dark colour, Moon couldn't quite see if it was black, or a dark green. A small horn was on his head, marking him as a Stormrider. His eyes where golden, as Moon had seen, and his noise ridge was small for his age. Come to think of it, so was his horn.

"Seen enough?" he asked, spreading his wings.

"Oh ah, yes, sorry," Moon said.

"That's cool." He grinned, folding his wings back, sitting on his haunches and tucking his tail around his legs. Moon stared at the tail.

It had a bone circle, like the end of a Stormrider's tail, but on the side were disks like a Sharpshooter's.

"I've never seen a tail like that before," she commented
The other dragon grinned.

"Well you wouldn't have, I'm the only dragon in the world with a tail like this." He held it up proudly.

"The only one?" Moon gasped. "What are you?"

"Well yeah, at least until Storm and Breeze's egg hatches." He winked at her. "I'm a Stormshooter!"

"A what?" Moon asked, frowning. "You're a what?"
"A Stormshooter, or a Sharprider if you'd prefer. I for one think that just sounds painful. Y'see, my mother was a Sharpshooter, and my father was a Stormrider. So I'm a Stormshooter."

Moon frowned, trying to digest what he had just said.

"How?" she asked.

"Well why not? They lived together, and they grew to like each other."

"Wait, Sharpshooters and Stormriders live together? Where? How? Tell me all about it!"

"Woah woah! Slow down there girl," the strange dragon laughed. "Why so eager?"

"I don't want to fight Sharpshooters," Moon said, sighing.

"Listen, you're lucky you have a tribe. Even where I live I'm often teased, just coz I look different." He shrugged. "Be glad you'll be accepted in the Stormrider city."

Moon nodded and sighed.

"I'm being a little rude," she said. "I'm Moon, who're you?"

"I'm Darkfire," he said, bowing a little.

"So, what are you doing out here? And where do you live?" Moon asked, eager to learn more about the strange dragon.

He grinned and drew a quick map with his talon.

"See, we're here right now, and this is the Stormrider's territory, and here's the Sharpshooter's." And he indicated the spots with his claws. Moon nodded, she'd seen maps before. "We live in the WildWoods. It's actually quite nice. I came out here for some quiet."

Moon nodded, listing quietly. The two of them talked for a while, sharing news and getting to know each other. They stopped their chat when Moon yawned mid sentence. She grinned sheepishly at him.

"You'd better go back into your cave, dawn is only a few hours away," Darkfire said.

"Right," Moon mutter tiredly. She stood, stretching her stiff legs. "How long were we talking?" she asked.

"Hmm, about four hours?" Darkfire guessed.

"Really? That long?" Moon gasped. "Wow, I'd better go." She smiled at him and padded into the tunnel.
"Wait, Moon," Darkfire called. She turned back,

"Yeah?"

"Will I see you again? Same time next night?"

"Umm, sure," Moon called.

"Thank you Moon."

"What for?"

"For accepting me, as, well, me!" Darkfire grinned at her and flicked his tail in farewell. He then turned and dove off the ledge, spreading his wings and flying off. Moon watched him go, thinking.

She padded into the cave, and decided that she wouldn't tell Zappy about meeting Darkfire, this would be her secret.

Quietly moving the rock, and slipped back into the cave. Half asleep, she forgot to close the door as she flopped into her next, exhausted.
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:11 am

Chapter Four

Zappy

xxxxxZappy opened his eyes sleepily and yawned, noticing with surprise that Moon was still asleep.
xxxxxAnd then he noticed, first with shock and then with horror, that the rock blocking the secret entrance was askew and two NoColour teachers were flying straight toward them.
xxxxxThinking fast he leapt to his Sclaws and pushed it back in place, moments before the teachers landed.
xxxxx“What’re you doing?” Beem-the Sharpshooter teacher-asked suspiciously.
xxxxx“Just stretching,” Zappy lied, leaning against the rock again. “Uagh.”
xxxxx“Uh huh. Sure. Anyway, wake your ‘friend’.”
xxxxxZappy gingerly shook Moon’s shoulder, “Moon,” he said, “Moon? Moo-oon. Moon, I’m gonna yell...
xxxxx“WAKE UP!”
xxxxx“Woah!” Moon leaped to her talons and glared at her friend, before realizing they had an audience.
xxxxxBeem was laughing, while the other dragon looked annoyed.
xxxxx“C’me on, kid,” Beem said motioning Zappy away from Moon and the other teacher, “you’re rich, you are!”
xxxxxZappy wonderingly followed his teacher into the air a little way from the cave.
xxxxx“Wa’s up?” he asked.
xxxxx“The war’s not going well for your tribe, they need more recruits to help defend Keen Forest,” Beem began, “they’re coming to pick you up in two days.”
xxxxxZappy felt the bottom drop out of his world, “Whaaaaat?!”
xxxxx“You heard. Two days.”
xxxxxBeem turned and flew away.
xxxxxZappy dejectedly made his way back to his den, where Moon was looking equally down.
xxxxx“What’s wrong?” she asked, half-heartedly feigning fineness.
xxxxx“War’s bad. They’re recruiting me in two days,” Zappy managed to croak.
xxxxx“Same with me, only, no one knows when they’re coming from Militia.”
xxxxxZappy groaned and lay down, “My whole day’s been ruined.” he muttered.
xxxxxHe lay still, trying to find some light in his gloom.
xxxxxFinally, Zappy sat.
xxxxx“Two days,” he said shakily to Moon, as he stretched out his wing to hug her, “that’s plenty of time to have fun.”
xxxxxMoon nodded slightly and they dove down from their den.
xxxxx“The rock to the S.E. was open this morning,” Zappy told Moon in an undertone as they flew, using their code name for the secret entrance.
xxxxxMoon’s eyes went wide, and she blew a plume of smoke, “Really?”
xxxxx“Yeah, hopefully no one here’s found us out—or come in.” He shuddered at the thought.
xxxxx“Meh, should be fine,” Moon reassured him. “Come on!”

#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#

xxxxxZappy woke suddenly that night from deep sleep, and realized Moon was nowhere to be seen. He sat upright, sniffing the air for any news of her, and smelt stars. Turning around he spotted, as he’d suspected, that the rock to the Secret Entrance was awry.
xxxxxHe made up his mind and crept up the passageway, trying to be a little more stealthy than he usually was.
xxxxxNear the top he stopped suddenly and tensed, hearing a voice ahead. He listened for a while, before finally inching ahead.
xxxxxComing into the open air, he came face to face with Moon.
xxxxx“Woah, whadda you doing up, sleepy-head?” she asked in surprise.
xxxxxZappy shrugged, grinning, “I have no idea. I just woke up for some reason.
xxxxx“Who were you talking to?” He managed to keep suspicion from his tone.
xxxxx“Oh,” Moon turned, and peered upward, “just—pouring out my troubles to the moon, ha.”
xxxxx“Oh,” Zappy flung himself down beside her with a sigh, “can I have a turn?” he joked.
xxxxx“Sure.”
xxxxx“What’re we gonna do?”
xxxxx“We’ll be fine,” Moon tried to reassure him. “Maybe we can figure out a way to stop the war, you know, ‘Um hello, lookee here, we can actually get along without killing each other’.”
xxxxxZappy sat up, interested. “That’s actually a good idea,” he declared, “we’ve got to try it. That’d be awesome! We can meet up at the far end of no-dragon’s-land to talk about it and figure out a plan.
xxxxx“Moon, that’s a great idea!”
xxxxxMoon’s smile was tinged with doubt, but she looked pleased, “Thanks.”
xxxxxBefore he could stop it, Zappy yawned widely.
xxxxx“It’s late, you should get back to bed,” Moon suggested.
xxxxxZappy wasn’t sure, “I guess, but what’re you gonna do?”
xxxxxShe shrugged, “I need more alone time, I’ll sleep later.”
xxxxxZappy yawned again and nodded, “Okay then, g’ night,” and then he stumbled wearily down to his nest.

#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx

xxxxxThe next few days passed quickly, and only one event stood out: Zappy and Moon had gone down to the Eating-Room, and promptly ran into Sparkles.
xxxxx“Hiya, Slappy,” he had bellowed, much too loudly.
xxxxx“Who’re you talking to?” Moon demanded immediately, whirling around angrily.
xxxxx“Your ‘friend’ of course. Well, specifically. But all you Sharpshooters, really.” Sparkles snorted in response. “See,” he had reared up on his hind legs and mimed slapping the air ineffectually, squeaking, “Oh no no! Oh no no! I’m Moon the Sharpshooter, I can’t fight, I’m too weak! Ahh!”
xxxxxZappy had had enough, insults to himself he could handle, but now Sparkles had crossed the line. He twisted to face the other dragon, and saw Moon tensing beside him, as well as, to his surprise, a yellow Stormrider named Blast.
xxxxxBlast was yellow in colour only, not in nature, and had always been ‘friendly’ toward Moon. He usually ignored Zappy, not picking on him only because he was Moon’s friend.
xxxxx“You’ve gone too far, Sparkles,” Moon and Blast snarled at the same time.
xxxxx“Moon is not a Sharpshooter,” Zappy had added angrily, though he had sort of wanted to laugh at how ridiculous Sparkles had looked, “and she’s a better Stormrider than you could ever be. And I, for one, am not a slappy. I’m a slicer.” Quick as lightning, he had flicked his tail up and lashed the razor-sharp blades across Sparkles’ snout.
xxxxxAt first, Sparkles had been too amazed by the attack to respond, he had drawn back in shock, his face screwed into a ball of anger, fear, and surprise.
xxxxxAt the sight of his expression, Zappy, Moon, Blast, the other Sharpshooters, the NoColours, and even the teachers all roared with laughter, embarrassing Sparkles even more, but he couldn’t fight back now, Zappy’s frill was flared, ready to attack again, if he had to, while Moon was snarling threateningly, Blast was still tense, and Zappy sensed that he was annoyed.
xxxxx“You’ll pay for that,” Sparkles had growled, before disappearing out the door.
xxxxxThat had been kinda fun, but now, before he knew it, Zappy was saying a shaky good-bye to Moon.
xxxxx“Love you,” he murmured as he hugged her.
xxxxx“You too.”
xxxxxIt felt like he was losing his only sister. Which I basically am, he thought dismally as he slowly made his way down the hall to the Main Entrance of the cave networks.

#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#xxxxx#

xxxxxInstead of the NoColour guards barring the way as he approached the great stone, they nodded farewell and shoved it aside for him. The deed had a feeling of finality.
xxxxxZappy took one last backward look at his old home, before stepping out into his new life.
xxxxxAs he stood blinking in the bright sunlight, he realized that two Sharpshooters, one a dreamy purple and the other calm blue stood before him.
xxxxx“Welcome,” said the blue, his voice low and deep, “I am Cobalt, your flight mentor.”
xxxxx“And I’m Scale,” said the purple kindly, “I’m your new teacher.”
xxxxxZappy nodded respectfully. “It’s good to finally meet you,” he told them sincerely.
xxxxxCobalt chuckled slightly and moved aside, revealing a number of other hatchlings from the caves. “Join them, while we wait for the rest of our recruits.”
xxxxxZappy did as he was told and found himself sitting next to Twinkly-Star.
xxxxx“I can’t wait to get a better name!” she hissed excitedly. “This is the best day of my life!”
xxxxxA young dragon nearby heard her and turned his head sleepily. “What’s so exciting?” he yawned. “This’s boring. I’d rather sleep.”
xxxxxZappy and Twinkly-Star both stared at him in disgust as he curled up tiredly, then exchanged a surprised glance.
xxxxx“Hey, we pretty much just agreed on something,” Zappy joked.
xxxxx“Yeah.”
xxxxxThey both fell silent, realizing they’d done it again.
xxxxxThey waited for another half-hour as more hatchlings slowly trickled out of the caves.
xxxxx“Now,” Cobalt began as the last yawning recruit seated herself, “this is the drill for now: we’re flying to the capital of Keen Forest via the WildWoods-over, I mean-where you will experience your first lesson, meet the elders to receive a new name-and find your family to stay with them until further notice. There are also several tests thrown in to prove your worth. Got it?”
xxxxxMost of the replies were snores.
xxxxx“Perfect.
xxxxx“Let’s move!” he roared suddenly, before leaping into the sky, Scale and the hatchlings in tow.
xxxxxThe flight was long and arduous, Zappy had never flown so far for so long, so after only an hour his wings were aching unbearably, but he stubbornly persevered, if this was a test, he was determined to pass it with flying colours-literally.
xxxxxI’m only just at the eaves of the forest, he thought, come on, Zappy, don’t be a weakling. Think of Moon, she wouldn’t give up.
xxxxxHe strove onward, until a call stopped him. Panting, he glanced over his shoulder to see Twinkly-Star.
xxxxx“Zappy!” she called again. “Hurry up! Cobalt says we c’n stop for a rest before we reach the forest.”
xxxxxZappy heaved a sigh of relief as he angled his wings to follow the shimmering grey dragon down to a small rock cave right on the outskirts of the WildWoods.
xxxxxBut before either of them could reach safety, two Stormriders suddenly shot out of the trees, seized the writhing, shrieking Twinkly-Star, and hightailed it back toward the forbidden forest.
xxxxxZappy stopped, gaping and speechless, before diving down to Cobalt and Scale.
xxxxx“We heard shrieking, what’s going on?” Scale asked interestedly as he landed.
xxxxx“Two Stormriders...captured Twinkly-Star...going back...to the forest...still in sight. Quick! We have to help her!”
xxxxx“Why?”
xxxxxZappy stopped, staggered at the question Cobalt asked so calmly.
xxxxx“Cause, cause she’s...” in his shock he couldn’t form a proper sentence and had to pause for breath.
xxxxx“She’s a Sharpshooter!” he blurted finally. “And she’s just been dragonnapped by the enemy! We have to help her!”
xxxxx“No, we don’t,” Cobalt said drily, giving him an odd look. “You see, she was stupid enough to call you and get captured, and there’s only two dragons here who know how to fight. We can’t risk getting killed just because a foolish hatchling was dumb enough to draw attention to herself. And wouldn’t you rather sleep?”
xxxxxZappy felt unnerved under the older dragon’s intense gaze, there was something wrong. He knew it, and decided the best course of action would be to remain as inconspicuous as possible for now, he would find a way to contact Moon later, and together they could rescue Twinkly-Star.
xxxxxHe didn’t know why he was so worried about her. Maybe because, in their short agreement, he had found a dragon who wasn’t much different from himself, a dragon who preferred to do things rather than sleep.
xxxxxSo he nodded, faked a yawn, and curled into a ball, hoping he wouldn’t die of boredom while the others slept.
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Chapter five

Moon

Moon winged into her cave, and glanced around. Zappy's nest had already been cleared away, and she sighed, another reminded that her best friend was gone. A tear dripped from her eye, splashing on the ground beside her claws.

The sound of wing beats made her look up, and her heart sank as she saw Sparkles fly towards her.

The black dragon landed on the ledge outside her cave and scowled at her, the large scratch Zappy had given him covered with a bandage.

"You're going to pay for what your friend did," he growled, deep in his throat. "You both will." He scowled, and leapt at her, his claws out. Moon squeaked, and dodged aside, causing Sparkles to fly past. He spread his wings, stopping himself before he hit the cave wall.

Moon spread her wings and a plume of smoke escaped her nose. Fire was billowing inside her, wanting to get out.

"Leave, Sparkles," she growled.

"Not until I give you a scar like you gave me."

"I'd like to see you try."

The two young dragons circled, wings out and fangs bared. Sparkles swung his tail, and Moon jumped back, the large circular piece of bone on it made a nasty cudgel.
Suddenly, a loud roar sounded, followed by a call.

"ALL STORMRIDERS TO THE ENTRANCE RIGHT NOW OR I WILL FLAY YOU ALIVE!"

Sparkles hissed.

"I'll get you later, Sharpshooter," he growled, diving off the cave ledge. Moon followed more slowly.

A large crowd was gathering on the ledge in front of the great stone. Towering over all the hatchling were two dragons, a yellow dragon, examining her claws, and a huge black dragon, bigger then any dragon Moon has seen before.

Dragons of all colours where gathering, curious NoColours and Egg-Guardians, Stormriders who had been called.

Moon joined the throng as Cricket flew up excitedly.

"Are we going? I want to go! Let's go! Let's go, let's go!"

"Wait Cricket," Moon hissed.

The little dragon flopped down and rested his head on his paws.

The yellow dragon was handing eggs over to Beam, who was passing them to young Egg-Guardians who flew off with them. The black dragon was talking to another Egg-Guardian, who was nodded and pointing to dragons in the crowd. Moon was surprised when his talons pointed to her.

The black dragon nodded once, then straightened up.

"All right, listen up you lazy lumps!" he bellowed. "You are coming with me, and you will listen to me! If anyone, and I mean anyone, doesn't listen, I will personally throw him off a cliff with his wings tied to his back. Is that understood!?"

Murmurs of agreement sounded from the crowd.

"I said, IS THAT UNDERSTOOD!"
"Yes sir, understood sir!" everyone shouted.

"That's better," he muttered. "My name is Bloodfang. I will be your fight instructor."
The yellow dragon glanced up.

"I'm Sweetclaw, I shall be your flight instructor. Now let's go before the evening winds start up. You hatchling will never survive them." She gave her claw a lick and padded outside.

"Let's go," Bloodfang growled, and turned, leaving the cave.

Moon followed the twenty or so young dragons, Cricket beside her. Bloodfang and Sweetclaw stood at the exit of the cave, watching as the hatchlings past them. As Moon and Cricket passed, Bloodfang stepped in front of them.

"He doesn't have colour," Bloodfang growled.

"Yes I do!" Cricket cried, turning to show the small patch of red. "I'm red!"
Bloodfang frowned, then shook his head.

"You don't have enough colour. We'll fetch you next time."
"But—," Cricket began.

"I said we will fetch you next time!" Bloodfang roared. Cricket's shoulders sagged, and he miserably trudged back inside.

Moon started past the big black dragon, but Bloodfang leaned close, his head as large as half her body.

"I know who your friend is, that weakling Sharpshooter. I'm watching you, hatchling," he growled, then turned and walked off. Moon followed uncertainly. She decided to stick close to Sweetclaw.

########

They flew for hours, it seemed that to Moon. She was fascinated by the scenery, as trees, rivers, and lakes flew by under their beating wings.

Moon's wings were aching when the came to a more mountainous area. The trees grew less and less, and they finally made it to a large mountain.

Bloodfang landed on a ledge near the bottom. The hatchlings flopped beside him, panting heavily, their wings stretched out beside him. Only Sparkles remained standing, though he was swaying on his feet. Bloodfang nodded approving at him.

"Right you lot, our home is inside the mountain," he growled. "We will enter at the top. But first have a quick break." He looked at Sparkles and frowned. "Where did you get the wound from, young one?" he asked.

Blast spoke up without thinking.

"A Sharpshooter gave it to him," he called. "Sparkles didn't move fast enough."

If looks could kill, Blast would be dead. Sparkles was gnashing his teeth and digging his claws into the ground.

Bloodfang smirked,

"Sparkles, eh? Sliced by a Sharpshooter, huh?" He snorted. "Don't let it happen again."

Sparkles glared around the other hatchlings, his gaze landing on Blast.
"You're dead," he hissed. Looking up at Bloodfang, he said, "The Sharpshooter is as good as dead. The next time I see him, I will dig my claws into him and rip his throat out."

Moon cringed at the description of what Sparkles would to do Zappy.

"Good. Now let's go," Bloodfang growled, leaping into the air.

Moon followed, her wings aching and muscles crying out for relief.

Blast flew up beside her, grimacing.

"I guess I should think before I speak, right?"

Moon nodded, too tired to speak.

They soon made it to the top of the mountain. The top had been blown off, and a huge crater remained. Inside, a huge lake of lava bubbled. Rock islands dotted the surface, and a dragon sat on the one in the centre. Spotting the hatchlings and their caretakers, the great red dragon flew towards them.

"Greetings," he said, "I am Flame, the guard for Stormriders. You are just in time, Magma is about to take a squad to war, he's left you in charge, Bloodfang," he nodded to the large dragon.

As he spoke, a large group of dragons burst out of the lava, sending drops flying. Led by a huge orange dragon, they soared high, and back towards the hatchling cliff. Beyond that lay the Sharpshooter's territory.

"Stay safe Zappy," Moon thought, watching them go. "And Darkfire, wherever you are."

"Right, into the lava," Bloodfang growled. "Sweetclaw, take care of them, I have to get inside."

He dove off the edge and into the bubbling lava.

Flame followed, going back to his rock.

"So, where's the city?" a small yellow dragon, who Moon remember was called Blaze, asked.

"Okay class," Sweetclaw began, ignoring her. "We all have fireproof scales, so we'll be fine. Let's go! Just follow me, you'll be able to see under the lava, don't worry. And remember to breath in the breathing holes, you can still drown. Also, don't swim in lava with a wound, it can get to your flesh and kill you.

With that, she dove into the lava, her yellow tail vanishing last.

As soon as she was gone, Sparkles turned to Blast.

"I'll teach you to embarrass me." He leapt, and sliced, cutting a huge gash in the yellow dragon's side. Before anyone could react, Sparkles shoved him, causing him to lose balance and fall into the lava.

A shrill scream split the air, and Blast beat his wings, trying vainly to escape the lava. His cries continued until he went under.

Silence.

"Y-you killed him," one of his cave mates, a red dragon called Apple, whispered.

"Yes I did," Sparkles snapped. "And you'll be next if you don't listen to me." He glanced over all the dragons, his gaze finally landing on Moon. "I rule this pack." With that, he turned and dove into the lava.

Slowly, other dragons followed, some more hesitantly then others.

Moon suddenly realised why Bloodfang hadn't let Cricket come. His white scales wouldn't have gained their fireproofness yet.

She took a deep breath and dove in.

Moon had once swum in water, but it was too cold and thin for her liking. The lava was warm, and thicker then the water. Moon dove under, and spotted Sweetclaw's yellow scales.

Her second eyelids had snapped over her eyes, allowing her to see under the lava. She spotted other dragons swimming, and steered clear of Sparkles. She wouldn't put it past him to attack her. The black dragon's eyes glinted at her as she swam away from him.

They swam into a downward slopping tunnel, and the walls began closing in around Moon. She forced herself to relax, there would be breathing holes, Sweetclaw had said so.

A movement beside her caught her attention; an orange dragon was thrashing around, trying to turn. The tunnel was too small for her to turn in, and she was panicking. Moon rushed to her side and gripped her claw.

She stared into the panicked dragon's eyes, hoping to get her to relax. It worked, and the dragon stopped struggling.

Moon held her tail out for the dragon to hold, and she gladly gripped it. Then they rushed after the others.

They caught up as everyone was breathing in a hole in the roof. Moon and the orange dragon just managed to catch a breath before they were off again.
They passed more breathing holes before they burst out into air, far below ground. Moon blinked, looking around in wonder.

They had burst out of a lava fall into a huge cavern. It was so big; Moon could only just see the other side. Lava pools were dotted around the floor, and lava falls cascaded into them. Stalagmites reached up to the high ceiling. Moon looked up, and could barely see the roof, it was so high above them. All along the walls, at all heights were caves. Large caves and small caves, big caves and huge caves.

Then she noticed the dragons, huge dragons, bigger then any she had seen, yet most were smaller then Bloodfang. They were laying in the lava pools, coming out of caves, practice fighting in small groups, talking together.

"This way, this way," Sweetclaw called, leading them through the cavern to a large cave. "This is were you'll live until you find your parents. Or they find you. Find your beds now." She glanced around them. "By now you probably have a pack leader, every hatchling groups do."

Sparkles stood.

"That's me," he growled, glaring at the others.

"Okay...Sparkles. I'll leave you to get settled. Training starts tomorrow." She turned and flew out.

"Right you heard her, find a bed," Sparkles hissed, flopping onto the biggest bed, nearest the font.

Moon padded to the back, she wanted to be as far away from Sparkles as she could.

"Wait," a voice called, and she turned to see the orange dragon she had saved coming after her.

"I'm Lily," she said, "You're Moon right, the strange coloured dragon?"

"Yeah that's me," Moon said, yawning. All she wanted to do now was sleep.

"I-I just want to say thanks. You saved my life back there in the tunnel."

Moon ginned. "It's okay." She held out her claw for Lily to shake. "You wanna bed by me?"

Lily nodded, "Sure," she said, obviously exhausted as well. "Hey, Rock, get here!" she called. To Moon she said, "Rock's my cave mate, where's yours?"

Moon sighed, she wished Zappy was here.

"Wait, he was a Sharpshooter, right?"
"Yeah, but he's in the past now," Moon said. "I can't let anyone know I miss Zappy, I need to make them think I'm glad to be rid of him. Huh, I won't fool half of them," she thought,

"Hey Lily!" a big bulky red dragon said, coming up beside them.

"Hey Rock, this is Moon," Lily said. "She-she saved my life in the tunnels."

"Well, thanks Moon!" Rock cried.

Moon grinned at him, and flopped down on a nest. Lily chose the one next to her, and Rock chose the one after her.

The purple hatchling sighed. She missed Zappy. She wondered when she would see him again. And Darkfire, she wondered what the Stormshooter would think of her leaving.

"He'll wonder what happened to me." She sighed quietly and shook her head; right now she needed to focus on staying alive, for she knew Sparkles would try to kill her as soon as possible.
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:57 am

Chapter Six

Zappy

xxxxxZappy angled his wings to soar over the last stretch of the dark, forbidding WildWoods, excitement and weariness warring inside him.
xxxxxMy new home! he thought in ecstasy. I can’t wait to meet my family! Wait till Moon— The thought struck him like a lump of lead: it wasn’t likely that he’d see Moon for many many years.
xxxxxHe struggled on, weariness and sorrow threatening to overwhelm him, until he glanced forward, past the other dragons, and realized he could see the lighter trees of Keen Forest before him.
xxxxxHe painfully unlocked his aching muscles to beat his wings, and nearly fell out of the sky as Cobalt suddenly gave an ear-splitting roar, which was answered by a far-off dragon-bellow. After the response, Cobalt nodded to Scale and turned, nearly causing the lead hatchlings to crash into him.
xxxxx“It is now time for your first lesson,” he informed them in a rather bored tone, “take it away, Scale.”
xxxxx“Alright, hatchlings,” she began, “some of you may have wondered: how do we fly amongst the trees without breaking our wings?”
xxxxxShe looked miffed when her only response from the class was a blank stare.
xxxxx“Well, then, if you never noticed that, some of you might have wondered what the strange creases running across your wings are... Possibly.”
xxxxxShe gave Zappy an approving look as he nodded, “Good, good, I see someone’s got a sharp eye.
xxxxx“Anyway, they’re for doing this:” And suddenly her wings folded up where the creases were, though the rest of the wing remained rigid!
xxxxx“We can control them individually, see?” And her wing waved, up and down, up and down. “Now you try it, hatchlings.”
xxxxxZappy was amazed that he hadn’t figured that out already, and promptly tried it, as did his companions. He found it surprisingly easy, and, as Scale scanned the group, was told that he was exceptionally good at it—for a beginner. Only one or two others did it as deftly as him.
xxxxxAfter several minutes of practise, Scale nodded, satisfied that they were good enough.
xxxxx“Now,” she began, “we are going down to our Central Village, but don’t forget to fly slowly amongst the trees until you get used to them: if you go too fast or react too slowly you will easily need to visit the Healer’s Houses. Come on then!”
xxxxxZappy cautiously descended toward the trees, watching his teacher intently from above as she dove down and, as the trees neared her wings, folded them inward to avoid contact. He wasn’t certain that he wouldn’t end up at the Healer’s Houses after all. Dodging the numerous trees was going to be extremely difficult.
xxxxxHis fears, though, proved unfounded, other hatchlings went spinning into trees all over the place, but he suffered no further harm than accidentally lodging his tail in a tree trunk and a scratch across his nose from another hatchling hitting a tree and whirling dizzily across his path, limbs and tail causing havoc among the foliage and other dragons.
xxxxxHe realized, as he navigated among the trees and hatchlings, that Cobalt stared at him unceasingly, his gaze full of distrust and suspicion. Zappy was tired of the undeserved animosity.
xxxxxAfter several minutes of crashing into trees, Scale worriedly divided the hatchlings into two groups: those who had the potential to seriously hurt someone walked with her while she instructed them further, and the few who had a knack for it—like Zappy—flew ahead with Cobalt.
xxxxxAfter several moments of tense concentration, Zappy finally realized that the trees were steadily growing larger and larger until they were colossal beasts of huge magnitude.
xxxxxBigger than anything he had ever imagined, they towered miles above, proud and regal. Lords and guardians of the forest.
xxxxxZappy felt an awe fall upon him.
xxxxxAnd then he noticed the scorch marks. Big black blots marring the tree-trunks, scarring their awesome power.
xxxxxThe signs of war, Zappy thought solemnly.
xxxxxBut he soon realized he was mistaken when a pale pink snout poked out of a hole.
xxxxxWoah, we live in trees! Awesome! I wonder what Moon— he cut the thought off abruptly, and distracted himself by observing the tree-dens and appearing dragons.
xxxxxZappy suddenly realized that Cobalt was swooping down to land before the largest tree that he’d yet seen and adjusted his wings to follow.
xxxxx“Right,” the older dragon began as the last hatchling wearily landed, “this is our Meeting Hall, where our elders usually abide. You will enter one at a time, where the Eldest Elder will instruct and guide you. Now, who’s first?”
xxxxxZappy drew back, butterflies fluttering in his stomach, and realized the hatchlings around him had performed the same action, so shuffled further, until a slow emerald dragon stood closest to Cobalt.
xxxxx“Good,” he exclaimed, pleased, “in you go.” He motioned to the forbidding hole and waved the shivering hatchling forward into the abyss.
xxxxxZappy and his remaining companions meandered around the tree aimlessly until Scale and the rest of her class broke through the trees, and a roar emanated from the colossal tree.
xxxxx“Right,” Cobalt barked, curling in a ball to sleep, “line up, and wait your turn to enter.”
xxxxxThe hatchlings obeyed.
xxxxx“Alright,” Scale said as they finished the line—since Cobalt was snoring, “when you hear that roar, it means the way is clear for the next hatchling. Got it?”
xxxxxThey all nodded.
xxxxx“Good.” She, too, lay down to sleep.
xxxxxZappy waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, until finally, he was standing before the dark entrance.
xxxxxA roar rang out, and Zappy flew up inside the gloomy tree trunk. He flew up, and up, and up, in the inky darkness, wondering where in Vernada he was headed, and suddenly detected a hint of light. He forced his aching wings to propel himself forward and shot up into an immense, dimly-lit cavern burnt into the tree.
xxxxxHe crash-landed chest-first into the sand-like substance coating the floor, and struggled to his feet, exhaustion dragging at his limbs.
xxxxx“Gender,” a bored voice said, and Zappy realized that a small, dusty-pink dragon stood before him, a stone tablet grasped in his Sclaws.
xxxxx“What?” Zappy had never heard the word before.
xxxxxThe other dragon huffed in exasperation, still staring at the rock, “Girl or boy?”
xxxxx“Boy.
xxxxx“Duh,” he added under his breath.
xxxxxThe strange dragon hastily scratched something into the tablet.
xxxxx“Colour?” he asked, still not looking up.
xxxxx“Bronze.”
xxxxxThe other dragon finally raised his head. “What—did you say?”
xxxxxZappy growled, frustrated at the stupid question, “Bronze, of course, look!”
xxxxxHe moved a little more into the light and opened and closed his wings a couple times.
xxxxx“Indeed, you certainly are,” the dragon gave him a hard look as he scratched something onto the tablet. “Wait here a moment.” He scurried off into the shadows.
xxxxxZappy sighed, The crazy guy’s prob’ly gone to have a ‘quick’ nap, he thought in frustration.
xxxxxBut the pink dragon was back within ten minutes.
xxxxx“This way now, this way,” he said, and ushered Zappy through a nearby patch of gloom, through a door-way, and, before he could react, shoved him into the middle of a ring of great dragons.
xxxxxWell, not quite a ring, Zappy thought, as he gazed around in wonder, more of a half-circle, really.
xxxxxThe wood he stood on was slightly lower than what the Elders stood on, making them seem huger than they already were, and a tall half-circle of wood prevented him from making contact with them.
xxxxx“Welcome,” said the largest—a gigantic, emerald-green dragon with near-white eyes—as he extended his neck to smell the small new-comer. “I am Waterfall, your Eldest Elder.”
xxxxxZappy bowed his head, “It’s an honour to meet you, Sir.”
xxxxxWaterfall blew a plume of smoke, pleased and slightly amused.
xxxxx“Are you prepared to become a member of your tribe, young one?”
xxxxx“I’ll do my best.”
xxxxxA nearby dragon let out a frustrated growl, “We can’t do this!” she cried. “To much of his parent’s blood flows in his veins, look at his scales! He will disrupt—"
xxxxx“Silence!” Waterfall roared angrily, swinging his head around to glare at her. “I’m sick of your whining! He’s not his parents, and we will give him a chance at life just like every hatchling that comes through here.”
xxxxxThe other dragon sulkily subsided, glaring at Zappy.
xxxxxZappy was slightly offended, and felt like someone had just pounded him in the guts. Are my parents so bad that they could keep me from my own tribe? he thought dismally. They must stink.
xxxxxOr maybe they’re getting me mixed up with someone else! he ended hopefully.
xxxxxHe realized Waterfall had turned again and was now speaking to him.
xxxxx“What was your name?” the great dragon asked.
xxxxx“Zappy,” he replied, excitement for his mysterious new identity sprouting inside him.
xxxxxWaterfall was overjoyed, “Wonderful!” he cried. “Wonderful! You see, young one, you are hatchling ‘Z’, so now I don’t need to think of a new name for you!
xxxxx“I love it when this happens: so easy!” he said aside to his companions.
xxxxx“You are now officially named ‘Zappy’. Good choice, hatchling.”
xxxxxZappy was majorly confused, and his feelings were all mixed up and muddled. He felt relieved, confused, frustrated, and, for some reason, he felt let-down.
xxxxxWaterfall called the dusty-pink dragon over and quickly whispered a few words in his ear.
xxxxxHe nodded and flew quickly away.
xxxxxWaterfall turned back to Zappy. “Chalk is just summoning your parents, you can meet them in a minute.”
xxxxx“Uh, Sir, don’t mind my asking,” Zappy began, “but, how can you tell who my parents are?”
xxxxxWaterfall huffed a smoky breath, “In the usual manner, you know, colour, character traits, whose nose you’ve got, that sort of thing.”
xxxxxZappy didn’t know, but he nodded anyway.
xxxxxAt that moment, Chalk re-entered the room. “Your mother is just outside that door,” he said, extending his wing to point toward a small opening in the tree.
xxxxxZappy nodded his thanks and walked away.
xxxxxAs he stepped through the doorway, he was assailed by big golden wings attempting to hug him.
xxxxx“My baby!” he heard a voice cry, moments before he was smothered in her embrace.
xxxxxAfterward she leaned back and looked him over intently, her petite golden snout wrinkling in concentration.
xxxxx“Ah,” she said finally, “you look like Goldy. You are mine. Come met your father.” She gave him another squeeze before turning and walking toward the door in the far wall. She seemed to realize something, though, and stopped suddenly to say: “What’s your name, by the way son?”
xxxxx“Zappy,” he replied. “I named myself that and was hatchling ‘Z’.”
xxxxx“Oh,” Zappy’s mother resumed walking, and he followed as she talked, “me and Goldy were both ‘G’s. Glitter and Goldy. That’s part of why I thought we seemed so promising. Unlike Cassowary and some of the others.”
xxxxx“Some of the others?” Zappy repeated. “Do Sharpshooters have multiple mates?”
xxxxx“Oh my dear me, no,” Glitter replied, “Only one, but I had loads of admirers when I was younger.”
xxxxxZappy and Glitter exited the tree and made a bee-line for a smaller tree near-by. They entered and flew up a level, Zappy didn’t get much time to see his surroundings: his mother whisked him around too fast.
xxxxxShe stopped before a door-way and roared: “Goldy! Goldy, get up. We’ve got a son!”
xxxxxA yawning golden snout poked out of the hole, “What?” it demanded crossly, “I’m trying to slee—" he yawned yet again, interrupting himself.
xxxxx“Yeah, yeah, so was I, until that aggravating Chalk came along. But I got up to meet my son, and you will too, ‘cause that’s what good parents do.”
xxxxxThat got his attention, the older dragon gazed at Zappy blearily, and blinked, “We had a hatchling?”
xxxxx“Have,” Glitter corrected, “and a nice strong one he is, too.”
xxxxxZappy could hear the pride in her voice, and felt secure knowing that his mother, at least, loved him.
xxxxx“Oh.” Goldy swung his head to gaze at Zappy properly. “So, ah, what’s your name?”
xxxxx“Zappy,” Zappy replied. What do I call you?”
xxxxx“Pop.”
xxxxx“Off you go now, Zappy,” Glitter shooed him, “you go spend your time how you want, your room’s just down the hall, if you’re tired.”
xxxxxZappy nodded, found his way downstairs, and wandered away down the street. He didn’t understand why Cobalt and the dragon in Waterfall’s council seemed to hate him and his parents. They seemed pretty chill!
xxxxxDistracted with his thoughts, it took him awhile to realize that the street was empty, and all the previous streets had been empty, too.
xxxxxA strange feeling hit him, he was in a strange village and no-one was in sight: what was going on?
xxxxxHe finally noticed, with a sense of relief, that there was someone on the road ahead of him and made his way over.
xxxxx“Hi,” he began, “I’m Zappy—"
xxxxx“I know,” she interrupted, to his surprise.
xxxxx“You—know? How?”
xxxxx“We were in the same caverns, silly,” she said, screwing her silvery snout up to laugh, “you’re the one with the Stormrider nest-mate, right?”
xxxxx“Uh, yeah. Boy, am I glad to be rid of her!” he lied.
xxxxxShe cocked her head, giving him a crafty look, “Whatever. You don’t need to lie to me, I’m weird, like you.”
xxxxx“What?” Zappy asked dumbly. She must’ve read my mind or something!
xxxxxShe huffed a smoky breath, “Come on, why don’t you understand?
xxxxx“I’m weird, like you, most Sharpshooters prefer to sleep, I hate it, you hate it, and I use my brain. You see, we’re more affectionate (or something like that) than Stormriders, and it takes a lot to hate the dragon that you’ve lived with your whole life. Besides, you guys always hung out together! It’s not that hard to figure out, really.”
xxxxxZappy hung his head, grinning slightly, “Alright, you win, I do miss Moon. Badly.
xxxxx“But you can’t tell anyone, though. I was nearly kept out of the tribe already, if they find out that I’m friends with a Stormrider, I don’t know what’ll happen to me!”
xxxxx“Won’t say a word.”
xxxxxZappy sighed with relief, “Thanks. What’s your name now?”
xxxxx“Birch. I was hatchling ‘B’ and I’m silver. Simple.”
xxxxxZappy nodded, “Very.”
xxxxxHe paused, then said: “Where is everyone? I haven’t seen a soul except you.”
xxxxxBirch snorted derisively, “Probably sleeping, I know my folks are, and I supposedly am,” she looked slightly embarrassed as she admitted this. “It is midday, after all.
xxxxx“Why aren’t you sleeping?”
xxxxxZappy snorted, “Boring, Mum’n’Pop sent me off, anyway. Should we explore a bit?”
xxxxx“Sure, that sounds fun!”
xxxxxThey made their way through the village as Birch told Zappy about her two nest-mates, and how she was the only one of the three of them who was able to fly amongst the trees, and about her parents and older brother, while he in turn told her about Waterfall, his parents, and, in a hushed voice, so no-one could overhear, Moon.
xxxxxHe was glad to have found a new friend. Birch had the motivation to do things, like Zappy and Twinkly-Star, but, unlike Twinkly-Star, she was actually friendly, rather than nasty.
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Chapter seven

Moon

Moon was woken by loud roaring. She yawned, blinking to clear her vision.

"W'as goin' on?" Lily muttered, yawning.

"I dunno," Moon said, "I'm gonna find out."

"M'kay," Lily said, rolling over and going back to sleep.

Moon stood, and hissed in pain. Her whole body was stiff and sore from the long flight the day before. She limped to the entrance, her wings trailing on the ground.
A large group of dragons crowded around the centre of the cavern, roaring and shouting. Moon spotted Bloodfang towering over the others.

She painfully flew down, crash-landing on the floor. Squeezing through the dragons, she made her way to the centre of the crowd. What she saw made her start.

Twinkly-Star coward in the centre, her frill up from fear, and her tail between her legs. A large grey dragon stood over her, growling at Bloodfang.

"She is mine!" he hissed.

"She is a sharpshooter! What were you thinking bringing her here? You and Flamer must have been mad!" Bloodfang snapped.

"If you hadn't dropped our egg, this wouldn't have happened!" a brown dragon snapped.

"Take one of the new hatchlings," Bloodfang growled.

This caused cries of protest from the other dragons.

"You can't have mine!"

"I need my hatchling!"

"My baby belongs to me!"

"QUIET!" Bloodfang roared, causing the dragons to fall silent. "Pebble, dump the hatchling in the prison, we'll deal with it after Magma gets back."

The grey dragon nodded, and nosed Twinkly-Star in front of him. She whimpered and scurried off. Moon followed, wanting to speak with her.

Pebble lead her to a wall covered in lava. Lifting his wing, he blocked the lava flow and gently pushed Twinkly-Star in.

"I'm sorry about this," he said.

"Just go away!" Twinkly-Star snapped, her voice quavering. Pebble sighed, and removed his wing, causing the lava to flow again, locking the lime-green hatchling inside. He spread his wings and flew off.

Moon crept closer, and slipped through the lava. Twinkly-Star was curled in a ball, her tail over her head, and her body shaking.

"Twinkly-Star?" Moon whispered. The Sharpshooter lifted her head.

"Moon?" she asked. "Is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me. What happened?"

"What do you think happened? Your stupid tribe mates dragon-napped me just before I came to my home!" She sniffed, and turned away.

"I'm sorry," Moon said. She longed to ask about Zappy, but didn't want to upset Twinkly-Star anymore.

"Yeah, well, it stinks. I just wanna go home," she whispered, a tear dripping down her mussel. "I'll never fit in here, even if that huge black dragon and the one called Magma let me stay, which they won't. Sparkles'll probably kill me as soon as he finds I'm here." She sniffed again.

"I'll visit you later, okay," Moon said. "I need to get back now." Twinkly-Star nodded.

"Thanks Moon," she said.

"It's okay," Moon said, slipping back out of the lava curtain.

#########

She arrived back at the cave just before Sweetclaw slipped in.

"Wakey wakey hatchlings," she called boredly. "Now your wings may feel stiff and sore, and you may fell achy, but that's all normal and blah blah and so on." She glanced at her claws and licked one. "Today you'll find who your parents are. Yay. Follow me." She turned and left the cave, walking alone he group. The hatchlings struggled to their feet and limped after her.

They came to a huge cave, filled with dragons of all sizes and colours. Moon spotted the brown dragon, Flamer that was with Pebble sitting sullenly at the back.
"This is how it works, a dragon will breath fire over all you hatchlings. If you are related to that dragon, you'll get burnt. If your not, you won't. Begin." Sweetclaw withdrew to clean her claws.

"Wait, won't we get hurt?" Lily cried.

"So," Sparkles snapped. "If you can't take a bit of pain, you're not a Stormrider."

"That is correct," a voice bombed out. Bloodfang stood in the entrance of the cave, staring over them. Flamer glared at him. "I shall begin."

Moon started, she hadn't known that Bloodfang had a hatchling. She wondered who with.

A wave of fire blew over the hatchling, slowing moving over them. It came closer to Moon, with no hatchling crying in pain. Then it washed over her. She hissed, it burnt. Squirming, she tried to move from the blast, pain enveloping her. The fire stopped.

Bloodfang barely glanced at her, instead looking at Sparkles.

"Pity," he said. "You are the most worthy out of all of them." He turned, leaving e cave. "I shall send Tornado to pick up our hatching." He glared at Moon as he left.

Miserable, the purple dragon moved out of the group, and watched as the other hatchlings were claimed.

As Lily was claimed by a large ruby coloured dragon, a small grey dragon flew into the cave.

"I am Tornado," she called quietly. "Where is my hatchling?"

Moon padded forward, and smiled up at Tornado, hoping she would accept her.

"I think I am," she said.

Tornado looked her up and down, and nodded once.

"Follow me," she said, turning and flying out of the cave. Moon followed, glancing back as she did. Lily lifted a wing in farewell.

They flew quickly, Moon's wings still aching, to a large cave high in the cavern. Two tunnels led off the main room, into other rooms.

"Left is mine and your father's room. Right is the eating room, and your room. If your hungry, you can eat. You'll find it. Now, I have work to do." Tornado turned, and quickly flew out of the cave.

Moon sighed, and glanced around. She stuck her head into the room on the left, and saw a large nest made of rocks and fur. The walls were riddled with hole, each hole with a scroll in it. The right tunnel led to another room, a large carcass laying on the floor. She wasn't hungry yet, so she glanced around for her bed. Another tunnel led of the eating room, and she padded down it.

Inside was a small cave, a nest in one corner and a rock slightly smaller then Moon on the other. The rock had writing things and scrolls on it, and more scrolls were in holes in the walls.

"This is pretty cool," she muttered. "Wait 'till Zappy—," she stopped, sighing. Zappy wouldn't see this place.

"You miss someone?" A voice startled Moon. She spun around to see a bird, an eagle, sitting on her nest.

"How did you get in?" she asked.
"The hole," it said, gesturing to a large skylight in the roof. "Tornado save me, I visit her lots. I help you?" It cocked its head on one side.

"Well, okay, I guess," Moon said. "I'm Moon. But how can you help me?"

"I fly out hole. Give message to...Zappy?"

Moon gasped.

"That's a brilliant idea! Wait, I'll write a message." She hurried to the rock, and found a pen. Opening a new scroll, she wrote a quick message, telling Zappy of what had happened. The death of Blast, saving Lily, Twinkly-Star's arrival and finding her parents.

She rolled the scroll up and handed it to the eagle.

"Where does Claw take it?"

"Do you know where the Sharpshooters live?" Moon asked.

"Yah, Claw knows."

"Good, there's a bronze Sharpshooter, about my age there. Can you give this to him?" she said, holding the scroll out.

Claw grabbed it in its talons, and nodded.

"Claw do that. Back in five/seven day." He leaped into the air, and flew out the skylight.

"Wait," Moon called, and Claw glanced back. "Magma, he's out leader I think, is leading a war party to attack the Sharpshooters, be careful."

"Claw know. Claw go. Claw tell Moon friend Zappy."

"Thank you!" she called as the eagle flew away.

Moon sighed, and watched him go, longing to fly after him and find Zappy. Then the two of them would find the place Darkfire had spoken of, a place where Stormriders and Sharpshooters could live together in peace.
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Chapter Eight

Zappy

xxxxx“Zappy? Zappy, up you get now.”
xxxxxZappy’s eyes snapped open and he sat up blearily, “What’s going on, Moon?” he yawned, forgetting where he was for a moment.
xxxxxA golden snout entered his vision. “It’s morning, Zappy,” said his mother, “time to get up, you’ll be late for your combat sessions.”
xxxxxShe paused.
xxxxx“Who’s Moon?”
xxxxx“She was my nest-mate,” Zappy told her, wincing and making quickly for the door to avoid too many questions, “she... didn’t make it.”
xxxxxHe dashed into the small corridor, laboriously ran along the wall, dove down the hole in the end, and landed in a tangled heap in the living-room.
xxxxxHe quickly straightened himself—flinching as his tired body ached in protest—embarrassed, and surveyed the room thoughtfully, pretending nothing had happened and glad that no-one was around to witness his unceremonious tumble.
xxxxxThe room was mostly bare, only a few odds and ends decorated the wooden walls: a spike here, a tooth there, an interesting leaf over there. Other than those items, the room was virtually empty.
xxxxxZappy’s mother swooped down the hole and landed gracefully behind him.
xxxxxAfter showing her son where the food was kept, Glitter instructed him on where the training grounds were while he hastily ate.
xxxxxZappy thanked his Mum and hurried out the door, before taking flight and soaring above the trees a short way until he spotted an unnatural clearing ahead.
xxxxxDiving down, Zappy whizzed among the trees, practising his flight technique and soon entered the clearing he’d seen. It was slowly filling with numerous hatchlings, all gathering around Cobalt.
xxxxxHe quickly landed, wincing as his flight-muscles ached in protest.
xxxxx“Are we all here?” Cobalt called after a few minutes. He ran his eyes over them, doing a quick head-count. “Perfect. You will now begin your combat training, training that will take three years to complete. Though you will be fit for minor combat before then.
xxxxx“Anyway, let’s begin.”
xxxxxHe started by showing them a few basic moves, involving slashing with both tail and claws.
xxxxx“Now,” he said as he finished, “you try it. But at a sensible distance from each other.”
xxxxxThe hatchlings promptly obeyed, executing the moves with only a little difficulty.
xxxxxCobalt surveyed them with a pleased expression, “Good, good. Keep going, you’re doing well!” He glanced at Zappy as he said this, and, though his expression was unfriendly, it wasn’t overly hateful.
xxxxxZappy worked hard, wanting to earn his teacher’s tolerance and respect if not liking.
xxxxxThey continued practising those few moves for about half an hour while Cobalt paced among them, striving to perfect them. He seemed to be in his element.
xxxxx“Well done!” He exclaimed. “We will now—”
xxxxxA tree-house in the village nearby suddenly burst into flames, and horrendous screams rang out, followed by the ring of harsh laughter.
xxxxx“Attack!” a huge orange Stormrider called as he hovered above the village. “Kill them all!” The many dragons around him cheered savagely and dove down to kill.
xxxxxCobalt growled angrily raising his frill and effectively making himself appear larger. “You hatchlings stay here!” he commanded. “You’ll only get yourselves killed if you try to help. I’m going in. If the worst comes to worst, flee to the WildWoods.” He leapt skyward and sped for the invaders.
xxxxxZappy growled with a mixture of anger and anxiety, he was deeply worried and longed to help, but he knew that if he tried he would almost certainly die.
xxxxx“Help, what do we do? I can’t fight! I’m gonna be slaughtered!!” a nearby hatchling screamed in terror.
xxxxxZappy whirled to face him: if he didn’t act, then the others would panic and be easier targets. “Calm down,” he said, trying to sooth the other dragon, “we may not be able to fight as well as Cobalt, but we still can.” He raised his voice to address all the assembled dragons, “Form up in a ring, but with a good space between each of you, that way we can defend each other’s backs. You younger dragons get inside the ring, then it will be easier for us older dragons to protect you. Quick!”
xxxxxThey all scurried to do as he said—Zappy included.
xxxxxBirch carefully manoeuvred so that she ended up next to him, frill raised, teeth, tail, and claws at the ready.
xxxxx“This is a good plan, Zappy,” she said. “Good thinking!”
xxxxxZappy’s head shot up suddenly as a desperate roar rang out: he had a faint feeling of recognition. He ducked and peered between the tree-trunks, tense as a bow-string and saw with horror that a huge blue dragon had captured his mother and was preparing to kill her!
xxxxxWith a small gasp he darted forward, his frill flaring in fear and anger, not noticing that Birch was following.
xxxxx“Leave her alone!” he roared as he neared his struggling Mum.
xxxxxThe blue dragon and his grey companion looked up in surprise.
xxxxx“Ooo, look out, Savage, the ‘scary’ Sharpshooter might eat you!” the grey dragon mocked.
xxxxxSavage laughed, deeply and scornfully. “What are you gonna do if I don’t, sonny? No, really, I’m curious,” he smirked.
xxxxxZappy made no reply and edged closer, wings raised threateningly and tail poised to attack. He was a Sharpshooter and he was young: they weren’t actually expecting him to do anything—just like Sparkles—he might be able to use this against them both.
xxxxx“Zappy!” he ignored Cobalt’s warning shout, “Stop! You’ll be killed!”
xxxxxSavage growled, “Yes, he will, but not before this one.” He lashed his claws toward Glitter’s cringing throat.
xxxxxZappy moved like he was rehearsing a play: seeing the deadly talons descending, he swung his tail up and around in a full circle, slicing first through Savage’s throat, then between the grey dragon’s ribs, and then, lodging deep in Cobalt’s side.
xxxxxThe blue dragon roared in pain and anger, falling over and scrabbling in the dirt. “I told you not to attack!” he bellowed, hate in his eyes.
xxxxxZappy drew back a step. “I’m—so sorry, Cobalt,” he stuttered, unsure whether to be angry or glad about not listening to his mentor, but truly remorseful for wounding him. “I’m really, real-“
xxxxx“I. Don’t. Care.” Cobalt snarled, cutting him off. “The cursed blood of your parents’ flows in your veins. Nothing you say is valid.” He struggled to his feet and limped slowly toward the Elders’ tree, glaring at Zappy all the while.
xxxxxZappy stared at the bodies of the two Stormriders with a sort of horrified fascination before remembering his mother and turning away.
xxxxxShe was standing stock-still, looking after Cobalt with a very disapproving expression.
xxxxx“Mum, are you all right?” Zappy asked, approaching her.
xxxxxShe started and turned, as if seeing him for the first time, then drew him into a crushing hug. “You saved my life,” she breathed, stunned. Then leaning back and looking him in the eyes, said: “I’m quite alright. And I’m very proud. But, Zappy, there’s something I need to tell you.” She gently released him and stepped back.
xxxxx“Mum? Wh—what’s wrong?”
xxxxxShe sighed, “Well, the thing is,” her expression changed, suddenly, and she began talking hurriedly, “Cobalt has complained to Waterfall, the other Elders are in an uproar, and someone has come to take you before them to be judged.”
xxxxxAt that moment, a scaly Sclaw was laid on Zappy’s back and he whipped around, startled. How did Mum know?
xxxxx“You’re coming with me, kid,” the chocolaty brown dragon said, eyeing him uncertainly as if he was a feral maniac who might lash out at any moment.
xxxxxZappy looked up, wondering if there was a way of escape and idly watched an eagle as it glided far above. The soldier cleared his throat, and Zappy realized there was nothing he could do except go with the other dragon. With a sigh he trudged forlornly behind him, glancing back now and then at his mother, stricken by the anguish in her eyes.
xxxxxThey soon reached the Elders’ Hall and entered. This time, instead of flying up, Zappy was taken down a passage that delved deep into the earth to a large stone hall where all the Elders and Cobalt were gathered.
xxxxxThe main feeling in the room was distrust, as they all stared at Zappy.
xxxxx“I told you accepting him was a bad idea,” he heard one mutter.
xxxxxPoor Zappy was steadily being crushed by all the unacceptance he had encountered in his village.
xxxxxWaterfall peered at him gravely, “Zappy, did you, or did you not, obey your mentor during the battle?”
xxxxxZappy gulped. “Um, I didn’t. But that was because—”
xxxxxWaterfall held up his Sclaw, silencing him. “You are accused of ignoring your mentor’s advice, of harming a fellow Sharpshooter, and putting the whole village at risk because of your actions.”
xxxxx“What? That’s ridiculous!” I voice from behind Zappy protested, and he was surprised to see that Birch had snuck in.
xxxxxSmoke rose from Cobalt’s nostrils as he glowered at her threateningly.
xxxxxBirch wasn’t daunted, “He held us hatchlings together when the attack came, or some of us wouldn’t be here now! We were ready to run—and not in a good way—plus he saved someone’s life and killed two Stormriders! You can’t punish him! That’s insane!”
xxxxx“Birch!” Cobalt snarled, “I told you to keep out of this. Stay away from him!”
xxxxx“Sorry, Dad, but you look fine, to me. You’re not that hurt.”
xxxxxZappy started: he hadn’t realized that Cobalt was Birch’s father. Though, come to think of it, she hadn’t actually told him who her parents were.
xxxxxWaterfall leaned back, thinking.
xxxxxFinally, he said: “Very well, here is my judgment: you, Zappy, shall be banished from your tribe and delivered to the WildWoods for as long as I am Eldest Elder.”
xxxxxZappy stared in shock, hardly able to comprehend what had just been said: the WildWoods were the most deadly place in all of Vernada!
xxxxxWaterfall continued, “Ordinarily you would be led through our streets in shame, but since you saved a life and killed two enemies, the decision of whether you ‘died a hero’ or were ‘banished in shame’ will ultimately lie with your parents.
xxxxx“Understood?”
xxxxxZappy was too stunned to reply.
xxxxx“Good. Mussel, take him away. You know what to do.”
xxxxxThe brown dragon grunted and led Zappy from the room. They exited out of a hidden passage that opened into a more deserted part of Keen Forest where Mussel promptly blindfolded the unresisting Zappy.
xxxxxZappy still couldn’t believe what was happening, and he was haunted by his mother’s stricken eyes. They both knew that he would die in the WildWoods. It wasn’t called the WildWoods for nothing no known dragon had ever come out alive from its gloomy depths.
xxxxxMussel hoisted Zappy into the air, gave him his tail to hold, and guided him through the air over the forest until, when they landed, they were deep in the WildWoods.
xxxxxMussel quickly took the blindfold from Zappy’s eyes, fear plain on his face. “Sorry, young’un,” he said. “Good luck.” Then he took to the air and hurriedly flew away.
xxxxxZappy sat and curled his tail around his legs, trying to control his fear, but it was useless, his frill raised of its own volition and he couldn’t control it. He shivered.
xxxxxThe trees were so dense that it was already dark underneath their leafy canopy, and they muttered and moaned, moving even though there was no wind. Dark shadows flitted around him, and quiet whisperings of dark secrets drifted through the air, the whole forest seemed to have an insatiable desire to kill and destroy, to take over Vernada.
xxxxxA cluster of bushes nearby rustled suddenly and he froze, slowly dragging his unwilling eyes toward the bushes. All noise suddenly ceased and it was eerily quiet.
xxxxxZappy took courage in the fact that he was a dragon—the most feared creature in the land—and made his way toward the bushes.
xxxxxMaybe it’s more scared of me, than I am of it, he thought shakily.
xxxxxHe put out a Sclaw and tapped the bush tentatively. Nothing happened, so he began to fish through the bush, but a sudden noise made him jump and turn as an eagle swooped down from the sky and landed on a nearby branch.
xxxxxZappy narrowed his eyes, wondering if it was the same one he had seen before.
xxxxxAnd so he didn’t see as a massive tail swung up from the bushes and slammed him in the back of the head.
xxxxxHe groaned in pain and fell to the ground as the world faded away around him.
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Thu May 05, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 am

Chapter nine

Moon

Moon woke the next morning to a loud hiss in her ear.

‘Get up hatchling. You’ll be late,” Tornado said. “I need to go hunting. Go to the hatchling caves, where you spent your first night.”

Moon blinked her eyes open, it was early. She could see a single star out of the skylight, and sighed. She struggled to her feet and padded into the eating room.

After having breakfast, she left the cave. As she soared down, she spotted dragons going about their daily jobs. Adults flew out into the lava falls, heading off to hunt. Young dragons were gathering in groups, listing to adults, or fighting together.

Moon flew into the hatchling cave, and looked around. The nests had all been moved out, and the large cave was empty except for the hatchlings and Bloodfang.

“Ah, my daughter finally decides to show up,” the black dragon growled. “Just because you are related to me doesn’t mean you get special treatment.”

Unless its abuse,” Moon thought bitterly. ‘Its obvious my father doesn’t like me.

“Moon, since you are late, you can go first. Fight me,” he growled.

Moon stiffened, she knew that if she had to fight her father, training or not, she would end up with wounds.

“Wait, Bloodfang, she isn’t worthy of fighting you,” Sparkles said. “Let me fight her, that way both of us have practice.”

Well, I’m doomed. Goodbye Zappy, and Darkfire,’ Moon thought.

“Hmm, seems fair. No killing or maiming. Everything else is aloud. Winner gets to rule the pack,” Bloodfang said.

Moon took a deep breath as they began to circle. She knew there was no way she could win; she didn’t even want to win. If she beat Sparkles and ruled the pack, he would never let her survive.

Not that he would anyway.

Sparkles leapt, lunging at her.

“Lets finish what we started,” he growled.

Moon didn’t waste time talking; she dodged out of Sparkles way. The black hatchling skidded to a stop and spun around, the bone at the end of his tail whistling in the air. Moon ducked, and it flew over her head.

She leapt forward, her claws out. She was caught up in the battle, not realising what she was doing. She was no longer thinking about just surviving, she wanted to win.

Sparkles ducked under her claws, and sliced at her belly. Moon leapt back, feeling his claws scraping her scales.

She leapt into the air, spreading her wings. Hovering for a second, she dropped, landing square on Sparkles’ back. He roared, struggling to stand but Moon pinned him down, her claws digging into his scales.

Blood welled up under her claws, and a blood lust came over her. She dug her claws in deeper, not hearing Sparkles’ roar of pain.

ENOUGH!!!” Bloodfang roared. Moon blinked, and shook her head.

Sparkles was lying under her, large wounds on his back. He was panting, and beaten.

“Moon, I said no killing,” Bloodfang growled.

Moon felt shaky, had she nearly killed Sparkles?

“I-I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me,” she whispered.

“Bloodlust,” Bloodfang muttered. “Right, class, find a partner. I expect you to fight like you mean it, but no killing. If I find any dead hatchling when I return, I will not be pleased. We need all we can get in the war.

“Moon, come with me. Magma will want to meet you when he gets back. For now, his mate Obsidian will wish to talk to you.”

Moon staggered to her feet, and followed Bloodfang out of the cave. She was aware of every hatchling watching her as she left.

Bloodfang spread his wings and flew high into the cavern. Moon followed, her wings still aching from the flight.

They arrived at a large cave, right at the top of the cavern. Inside, a huge black dragon, even bigger and blacker then Bloodfang lay. Moon felt like she was looking into a void, Obsidian’s scales sucked in all the light.

Bloodfang bowed his head, the first sign of reverence Moon had even seen in him.

“Queen Obsidian, I had found one with the bloodlust of our ancestors.”

The great dragon shifted, revealing her eyes. One was a deep, ruby red that made Moon feel like she was swimming in blood, the other was closed, a huge scar running down it.

“Bloodlust. There has not been one with Bloodlust for many years, longer then I have lived,” she growled, low in her throat. Her voice was quiet, but there was a menacing nature to it. “Whose child is it?”

“Mine and Tornado’s, your majesty.”

“Fitting, that a grandchild of mine will be the one to destroy the Sharpshooters.” Her great eyes looked over Moon, and she felt tiny, insignificant. She lowered her head.

“I-I do not whish to destroy the Sharpshoooters, Your majesty,” she whispered.

Instantly, she regretted her words. A low rumbled sounded deep in Obsidian’s belly, and a burst of fire blew over Moon. She winched, it burnt since Obsidian was her grandmother, but not as much as Bloodfang’s fire.

What did you say!” Obsidian roared. “What did you say? Sharpshooters are the bane of the land! All must die, and you will be the one to do it. You will lead us into battle, and your Bloodlust will help us win.” The huge red eyes came closer, and it seemed to Moon it reflected the many battles Obsidian had seen. Dragons falling, blood flying, creatures roaring.

Moon staggered back, fear in her eyes. She bowed her head and nodded, a tear dripping down her mussel.

“Bloodfang, tomorrow she will have her initiation. You will go with her to make sure she does it right.”

“Me!” Bloodfang protested. “But, I-“

“You will go with her, and that is final.” The huge dragon turned away, and Moon breathed a sigh of relief when that eye was hidden.

“Very well, Mother,” Bloodfang muttered. “Let’s go,” he growled to Moon, leaping out of the cave.

Moon followed, glad to leave the foreboding dragon.

For the rest of the day, she joined the other hatchlings in their training. She fought with them again, but this time she managed to keep her Bloodlust under control.

‘Maybe it only comes when I fight someone I dislike,” she though as Lily pinned her down.

She was a bad fighter without Bloodlust, and lost most of her battles. Every time she was thrown to the ground, slammed against a wall, or pounded over the head by the bone cludets on the end of a dragon’s tail, Sparkles would look at her with a mixture of hatred and superiority in his eyes.

That night, she lay in her bed; her body covered in bruises, with only one win to her name that day.

#########

The next morning, Bloodfang woke her loudly.

“Let’s go, it’ll take us about four hours to get to the Sharpshooter territory, we’ll leave now,” he growled.

The two of them swam through the tunnels until they reached the crater. Bloodfang didn’t stop, leaping out of the lava and flying off. Moon followed less competently.

Above the crater, winds buffeted Moon about, the warm air from the crater fighting with the cool morning air above the mountain. Moon struggled on, forcing her wings to carry her away from the dangerous winds. She followed Bloodfang as best she could, and using the wind to her advantage made it out.

They flew for hours, the land passed under their wings quickly. Eventually, Moon began to see familiar surroundings, and realised they were nearing the HatchlingCaves. She spotted the ledge that she and Zappy had found, and wondered if Darkfire had come back again.

“You find and kill your Sharpshooter, I’m going to talk to the EggGardians, see if any Stormriders have enough colour to join us,” Bloodfang growled.

I wonder how Cricket is,’ Moon thought as she nodded and flew towards the Sharpshooter border. ‘And Zappy.’ She looked over the forests of the Sharpshooters and sighed. She would have to kill a Sharpshooter, take away a son or daughter, a friend, a mother or father.

“Stupid war,” she muttered, watching Bloodfang wing into the HatchlingCaves.

Twinkly-Star should be flying through these woods instead of sitting in our prison,’ Moon thought.

She shook herself and flew over the border, not sure weather to hope she found a Sharpshooter or not.
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren