{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Spotted.Newt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 am

Hello friends c:

I've been more or less stalking this thread for about two years, and I finally went ahead and joined. So, here I am, and I have a question for you all:

Code: Select all
[b]Do you ever have a character, setting, or idea that won't leave you alone, but you can't seem to write a good story? What do you do? [/b]

I have this one character from the MCU that I created about two years ago, and I adore her. I'd love to give her a good story, but the fanfiction I started when I created her just doesn't seem good enough. It's certainly not my best writing, and I'm severely lacking in inspiration. I'd hate to just abandon it (I've never finished a story, and I've been writing since I could hold a pencil, so leaving yet another story unfinished is a terribly depressing thought) but I don't want to trudge on without any real enthusiasm. Any advice?

In another story, I have a good start, and I know exactly where I want it to end, but I have no idea how to get there. Or rather, I have some ideas, plot points, but I'm left without the inspiration to fill the space between, to develop the characters and plot. What would you do in this situation/have you ever been in this situation?
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Love like I'm not scared,
Give when it's not fair,
Live life for another,
Take time for a brother,
Fight for the weak ones,
Speak out for freedom,
Find faith in the battle,
Stand tall but above it all,
Fix my eyes on You.
~For King & Country

I am also known as Griffin.Song.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Do you ever have a character, setting, or idea that won't leave you alone, but you can't seem to write a good story? What do you do?
I have an entire cast and world that I would love to write but no plot and a character that I I've but no world or story for her.
Usually when this happens I let the ideas sit in the back of my head and wait for another idea that works with the first to come along. And if that doesn't work or I'm too impatient I write, just drabbles and random stuff, but that helps the juice get flowing.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Musicality » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm

So.. In y debate class we were discussing a bill to pass euthanasia during a mock congress and it made me think about how a certain instance might make a decent writing prompt..
so my idea was somewhere along the idea of A person who was in a coma was killed with euthanasia (by parents) and is now dead in the afterlife is.. Or it could be where like the euthanasia didn't work and it just woke him (or her) up? I dunno I just thought it was an interesteing concept
❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
I adore cats, musicals (esp. If/Then),
singing, and chatting it up with new people!

Hey everyone! I'm Musicality!
I used to be "The Succulent Queen". <3

❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
Musicality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Do you ever have a character, setting, or idea that won't leave you alone, but you can't seem to write a good story? What do you do?

This has been me with my HERO universe these past few years, lol. I have a bunch of characters and concepts and half-formed plots floating around there, but I don't seem to be ready to actually write about them anytime soon. Same with this little Warriors fanfiction that I've had in mind - I've developed five Clans pretty extensively and five corresponding apprentices from each of these Clans, all of whom I love dearly, but I've never really gotten past the first scene of the story I've been planning with them. Hopefully soon! I have more interest in writing about these silly cats rather than my own original story/world, lol.

To answer the actual question... I don't really do anything, I suppose. I do write down any new worldbuilding or character ideas as much as I can, but the majority of plot/characters are still mostly in my head. I tend to develop worldbuilding more easily, so I have some docs/sites scattered around with my world notes on them.

--

Recently I finally finished a short story that I've been working sporadically on since March. The deadline for submission is today so I guess there's no going back on it, lol. It's been fun, but hopefully, with it out of the way, I can finally start working on other projects.

Congrats on anyone who participated in NaNo, btw! I can never find the time to participate, so I really admire your dedication, no matter how much writing you completed. :)

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Nope, not at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I have at some point :p I'd suggest starting over, tbh. Scrap what you think needs to be done, and fiddle with aspects of it until (hopefully) something works! For instance, some things need to be in first-person rather than third, or vice versa. Or maybe does it feel unnatural to the characters? Or you could always just write it; get the bare, ugly skeleton out of your mind, and as you ponder it, edit it until it has skin and bones and clothing and beauty! :.D Good luck!!

The Succulent Queen wrote:So.. In y debate class we were discussing a bill to pass euthanasia during a mock congress and it made me think about how a certain instance might make a decent writing prompt..
so my idea was somewhere along the idea of A person who was in a coma was killed with euthanasia (by parents) and is now dead in the afterlife is.. Or it could be where like the euthanasia didn't work and it just woke him (or her) up? I dunno I just thought it was an interesteing concept
That definitely sounds interesting, I'll give you that! Buuut, it's a really touchy subject; I'd be careful about sharing online, if you ever do write it c: When death's involved, there's also a lot of hurt, no matter which side you're on ;)

Greenleaf wrote:Recently I finally finished a short story that I've been working sporadically on since March. The deadline for submission is today so I guess there's no going back on it, lol. It's been fun, but hopefully, with it out of the way, I can finally start working on other projects.
Oh, cool! Good luck with that, and I wish you all the best for future adventures! C:

Greenleaf wrote:Congrats on anyone who participated in NaNo, btw! I can never find the time to participate, so I really admire your dedication, no matter how much writing you completed. :)
Agreed, you guys are nuts! (Good ones, in a good way. Almonds or something ;)

I'll just repost this, since I only edited it into my last post after a few hours :p
Ranger of the North wrote:Also! An interesting question for however many characters you guys want to make answer c;
Code: Select all
[b]If you had to die, what would be your preferred way of going out? What death do you fear dying, and hope to escape?[/b]
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolfline » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 pm

I get this all the time, but at the moment it's a science fiction story. I've finished most of the worldbuilding and have concepts for some of the characters, and have a vague plan for the main character to meet with the others and go off-planet at some point, but not much other than that.
I don't really do anything, but sometimes an idea comes to me and I have to add it...
---------------------------------
Hello. LeiaWolfe is my sister. Hi Leia.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

[size=65]-------------------------------------
Links:
Wolfline

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frankie (dup) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:13 pm

The Succulent Queen wrote:So.. In y debate class we were discussing a bill to pass euthanasia during a mock congress and it made me think about how a certain instance might make a decent writing prompt..

Hmm... I personally prefer almost a... combination?

Like- this might be a dumb idea, but what if in the afterlife, your psychical body still moved and spoke i.e did whatever it was doing in the afterlife?
Dead guy: Hey, Uncle Tim! Long time no see, huh? [beat] Oh, I have no idea how I died. Probably saved a kitten or something. [beat] If I jumped off a bridge here would I be okay? [beat] Cool! Any bridges nearby?
Dead guy's family: ????????

Okay, I don't have much idea how to help you. I just thought this might be a cool or funny idea, depending on the spin you put on it.

I have a question now.
Any tips on how to write a realistic, subtle, one-sided crush? One character in a story I'm working on is slowly developing a crush on a girl. (Who is lesbian. Oops.)
I don't want to make it painfully obvious, or too subtle. Is there a happy medium and does anyone have some tips?
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Golly

Postby Politics » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 am

• Do you ever have a character, setting, or idea that won't leave you alone, but you can't seem to write a good story? What do you do?
      • BOY HOWDY am I having this right now, I have a lot of concepts, pages upon pages of character development, and so many plots I want to do that each seems to be another nail in my coffin. I'm still new to working on a real novel, and though I'm thankful to having never encountered art/writer's block before my real problem is that I have too many ideas as opposed to too few. All of them center around a couple of areas, primarily a large urban area with a population of various forms of psychically adept folks called Empaths. I have plenty on them - a history of empathic development, a study of psychology dedicated to them, a rating system in all facets of their abilities, brain altering medicines to help keep them under control, therapy, social justice issues, even a special involvement in certain civil service fields worth dedicating their own branch too. Other than that, I have full descriptions of the city, its dynamics, economy, history(just about anything but a name I like, which has always been a branch of that 'too many ideas' problem), and so many factions and businesses within it I can almost see it coming to fruition in the near future.

EXCEPT

I have this awful little problem called Etienne/Audrey/A.A. Lloyd/Celiangelo whatever you want to call him, and I love his character dearly. However, I have so many ideas surrounding him as the initial main character, that I can't seem to figure out what plot I want him to be involved in. I have a basic concept, but not a fleshed out plot. And the plots I do have never get past the third chapter. I know what I want to do, I just have no idea what I want to do. But aye, it's not suffocating, I'm glad to have something to work with, but I need to move past this point if I ever want to move on with my project. I'm not putting that worldbuilding to waste, so I think I'll pull a Rowling and add side stories and books like 'the history of empath psycology' or something neat like that. It's just a wee bit frustrating for now, though!
Politics

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scoopyfrog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:18 am

I've submitted three chapters of a book I'm working on to Worthy of Publishing! This website is an excellent platform for serious writers to gain feedback on their work before it's published, and the site is also populated by registered publishers who look through work! If any of you would like to read it and leave me a review to help me out, that would be amazing!

http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/book. ... k_ID=35082
I love collecting critters <3

- Magistream -
ImageImageImageImageImage

- Dragcave -
ImageImageImageImageImage
scoopyfrog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Golly

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Politic wrote:
  • Do you ever have a character, setting, or idea that won't leave you alone, but you can't seem to write a good story? What do you do?
      • BOY HOWDY am I having this right now, I have a lot of concepts, pages upon pages of character development, and so many plots I want to do that each seems to be another nail in my coffin. I'm still new to working on a real novel, and though I'm thankful to having never encountered art/writer's block before my real problem is that I have too many ideas as opposed to too few. All of them center around a couple of areas, primarily a large urban area with a population of various forms of psychically adept folks called Empaths. I have plenty on them - a history of empathic development, a study of psychology dedicated to them, a rating system in all facets of their abilities, brain altering medicines to help keep them under control, therapy, social justice issues, even a special involvement in certain civil service fields worth dedicating their own branch too. Other than that, I have full descriptions of the city, its dynamics, economy, history(just about anything but a name I like, which has always been a branch of that 'too many ideas' problem), and so many factions and businesses within it I can almost see it coming to fruition in the near future.

EXCEPT

I have this awful little problem called Etienne/Audrey/A.A. Lloyd/Celiangelo whatever you want to call him, and I love his character dearly. However, I have so many ideas surrounding him as the initial main character, that I can't seem to figure out what plot I want him to be involved in. I have a basic concept, but not a fleshed out plot. And the plots I do have never get past the third chapter. I know what I want to do, I just have no idea what I want to do. But aye, it's not suffocating, I'm glad to have something to work with, but I need to move past this point if I ever want to move on with my project. I'm not putting that worldbuilding to waste, so I think I'll pull a Rowling and add side stories and books like 'the history of empath psycology' or something neat like that. It's just a wee bit frustrating for now, though!
Oooh, that actually sounds great! Your brain's bubbling like a cauldron :D
Would it be possible for your main-character to be involved in, say, all of them? You might be able to make it a small series or something, Idk. Good luck, anyway! c:

antiqeel wrote:
I've submitted three chapters of a book I'm working on to Worthy of Publishing! This website is an excellent platform for serious writers to gain feedback on their work before it's published, and the site is also populated by registered publishers who look through work! If any of you would like to read it and leave me a review to help me out, that would be amazing!

http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/book. ... k_ID=35082
I'll check it out!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me