{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby cocoa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm

When you make a character, do they become real to you?
    yes! not every character, as some I just don't connect to well enough or get to writing enough about them to have that level of substance, but for a few I do feel that way. Those few typically have fleshed out backstories, personalities, feelings/emotions, likes/dislikes, etc.. I'm not best at dialogue (accents and stuff) so I wanna work on that to make them feel even more real x3. However, obviously, they can't be physically real to touch, but in my mind they are tangible in their own worlds, I suppose? I feel emotions, sadness, happiness and more when I'm writing them, as if they were real. Characters are definitely my favorite part about writing, and is my favorite thing to develop upon and center around in my stories.

(Also, if you think about it, characters are nearly just as real as someone you meet online [through text!], as you can't physically meet them. The major difference though is that your character always carries some part of you, as I imagine it's extraordinarily difficult to write a character of an entire different perspective, lifestyle, and personality from you.)

Do you have your character names figured out by the time you start writing, or do you tend to use placeholder names until you can find one that works? What do your character's names sound like, and what do the placeholders sound like?
    Sometimes I don't have a name right off the bat, but I never use placeholder names. If I do, I feel like I'll connect too much of that character to the name itself.. so when I do start writing, I make sure I have a good name chosen on. I will sometimes I write out their notes/backstory though without a name and just refer to them by their pronouns.
What do your outlines look like?
    Messy. I just write down whatever comes to mind and throw them into sections like "characters", "setting", "plot" with the plot being the longest part, typically just listing the scenes I want to write (so a page of scenes will probably equal 20 pages in writing). If I want to add additional details, I just add a little arrow and add it in there so I can still read it to a degree.
cocoa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Not quite at first as they often do not have a name or background, but after time, (years usually) after I've written a bunch of things about them and created countless mental situations for them to fall into, they become the closest thing to real for me.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Pretty much, yeah. I'm really good friends with most of them does that sound too weird? o_o and sometimes I just have to laugh when they make funny remarks XD (Mum thinks I'm crazy, especially when I try and explain what just happened XD)
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:
Pretty much, yeah. I'm really good friends with most of them does that sound too weird? o_o and sometimes I just have to laugh when they make funny remarks XD (Mum thinks I'm crazy, especially when I try and explain what just happened XD)

Same, I have to fight myself not to laugh

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:33 pm

I like to entertain the idea of my characters existing in some other universe. If there are indeed endless possibilities, then who knows? XD One could make the argument about what exactly is 'reality'. My characters are certainly far more influential on my life then many other people in the world who I will never met, and will never change the world I live in. But of course all the influences my characters have are generally internal, and not external like 'real' people can have. But they're a big inspiration for me. They inspire me to learn and try new things, to think about things differently, comfort me when I'm upset, they even help me to make friendships with actual people. So, yes, if 'real' means having a real impact on my world, then they totally are real.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:

Same, I have to fight myself not to laugh
Hahaha XD I /try/ to fight it, but sometimes I just have to chuckle or I think I'll pop XD
...yeah, I'm used to the weird looks and queries as to what I'm doing, now XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Loving all of the replies! I can definitely relate to them and it feels good to not be the only crazy person here. I also agree with being inspired by our characters, Silverhart. They teach me lessons all the time.

Also, if all of our characters do exist in their own alternate universes, then I pray to the Lord that my villains don't pay me a visit. If they knew all of the hell they've gone through was because of me, I'd be dead ten times over. :lol: Same thing for my "heroes", too, except some wouldn't try to kill me.

Honestly, and I'm sure others can relate, is when you get that magical feeling of where you're not actually writing. Of course you are, but it feels like you're just logging what they're doing, not actually having them do it. I've only done this a couple of times over the years of being a writer, and I can honestly say there is no other feeling like it. (It's a shame that one of my most memorable moments of this was when one of my villains got taught a very brutal lesson. This time it wasn't my fault, I truly believe she got herself into that mess, I was just recording it.)

*gets flashbacks of "Once Upon a Time"*
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 am

Well, I'm finally done writing my Princess Tutu series and have it set up to run through June. Now I just need a job. But my laptop started rattling and smoking today, so I'll have to get that checked out first and hope it doesn't cost much to fix -.-
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachycupcake525 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:10 am

Yes, they do, if I work on them enough. Some of my favorite characters that I have worked on for a long time are real to me. I could walk around doing nothing but imagining what they must be up to in their own world. I know how they would react to certain situations, and I like imagining that that's what they're doing. I discover more about them when I have them act as they normally would. For example, today I learned their birthdates while thinking about them (all I had before was the year). I feel like I didn't make up the month and day they were born. I feel like they told me what it was.
peachycupcake525

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 am

Greenleaf wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:@ Greenleaf that sounds really cool! Are you taking the class in school/college or is it seperate from that? I've been looking at writing classes in my area that aren't hosted through my college and considering signing up for one, they seem like a good experience.

I'm taking the class outside of school. :D It's hosted by an arts academy based in the nearby city. The instructor is really awesome and the whole thing helps me a lot with writing. Even if I don't have time to write during the week, I'm guaranteed a few hours of writing time during the class at least, lol. If you can, I'd really recommend any writer to sign up for one. Being able to talk with other writers in real life is a super cool experience.

Cool, thanks :D I looked into it some more and apparently my local library has a free writing class once a week. I think I'm gonna check it out and see how it goes!

Definitely. Once I get invested into a character I start seeing them in my everyday life- I'll hear a song and think "this describes them" or be in a situation and wonder how they'd deal with it, lol.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me